Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: What perks do DVC members get?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What perks do DVC members get?

Do they offer pass discounts? Food discounts? Anything? We are looking at it and thinking what really makes it worth doing? We still have to bring money for spending,food,tickets,transpo...give me some good buying points!

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think any 'perks' are something that can be taken away at any time, and you shouldn't make a decision based on that. I think right now that DVC owners get a discount on annual passes, and they are able to book the dining plan without being on a package.

You should really look at it with respect to the cost, vs the cost of the rooms you'd be staying in if you weren't a DVC owner. OR - the room you get for the same price as you'd pay. For me, I normally stay in moderates or values - so the DVC stays would be more expensive. However, if I normally traveled with a spouse and kids, having the extra room that a 1 bdrm affords would be worth a bit of extra costs, especially when I looked at the cash prices for deluxe resorts.

I think Tony Phoenix did a spreadsheet a while back (probably 2-3 years now) that he shared on MousePlanet that looked at straight financial questions. I'll see if I can find the link to that.

Here it is: http://www.mouseplanet.com/7290/The_...dsheet_Details

Cathy

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Drince is correct... the decision to buy into DVC should never be based upon any perks. Been a member for a few years now and some have been added - and some have been taken away. While they are calling it a "club," which may give people the impression that it is all about perks, you are indeed purchasing a time share, which is actually deeded property at your home resort. So, it is surely a long-term investment in vacation lodging. (Not an investment that will appreciate in value over time, like a house.)

Current perks include discounts on AP's, some dining discounts, shopping discounts, the ability to purchase the DDP without a "package," tour discounts, and other similar discounts. There are actually quite a few out there now. But like any other discount, the only way to save is to spend... which may entice you to spend more than you normally would.

Ive been having this same conversation with a friend of mine and what it comes down to is how do you like to vacation. If you are the kind of person who likes to stay at the Value resorts and have no real desire to do deluxe resorts, its going to be a harder sell. However, if deluxe resorts are your style, then I think it makes the decision a lot easier. I say that because over the course of your membership, you will most likely save quite a bit.

Let me elaborate....

Before joining DVC, I spent on average of $3000 per year on standard hotel rooms on Disney property. Usually deluxe resorts. I budgeted $250 per month for this expense. This was usually for multiple trips, or one big trip per year, and not including tickets, food, transportation, etc.

My mortgage for DVC was actually about the same, once you add in the yearly dues, etc. So, in essence, it was a wash from an expense perspective. Just that alone made sense.

We hit our "break even" point after 5 years... which is the point where the value of our stays equal what we paid for the membership if we were to rent the same rooms before we became members.

Now that I have it paid off, all I pay for is my dues. And the best way to describe what I am able to get for just what I pay in dues is that I am able to stay at a DVC villa for about the cost of staying at a Value resort. And THAT is where the savings come into play.

Its one of those things where if you vacation at Disney every year, or even every other, its something to at least consider. Do check out the link that Drince provided. I used that sheet and while it is a little old, it can be used for at least a comparison. The long term savings can be rather significant especially since the price of hotel rooms keep going up. (I mean, anyone seen some of the rack rate costs for the new Value resort? Costs have gone up for sure.)

My only regret, and one shared with many DVC members, is that I did not do it sooner.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask other questions as well...

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    i

My only regret, and one shared with many DVC members, is that I did not do it sooner.
    That is EXACTLY how I feel too.

Wow..perfectly explained

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    So, it is surely a long-term investment in vacation lodging. (Not an investment that will appreciate in value over time, like a house.)
    But do you consider it a purchase that depreciates over time or does the value stay at what you paid for it? Because technically you could resell it.
    Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. ~~Marcus Aurelius

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    But do you consider it a purchase that depreciates over time or does the value stay at what you paid for it? Because technically you could resell it.
    It does depreciate from a resale perspective. But then again, if you get a certain amount of value and sell it off, your total cost of ownership could still be rather low and a great savings vs paying cash for rooms.

Thats the key part - think of it as the ability to pre-pay for lodging at Disney over the next 40-50 years. The longer you stay in, the more savings you will see compared to paying cash for all the hotel rooms. This is especially the case since DVC dues tend to go up less than the average hotel rate increase on a per-year basis.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    At one time Yes, today No.

If you buy new right now, it will significantly depreciate as soon as you own it, by possibly more than 50%.

Slow depreciation over time was what I initially expected. I am using part of it each year, leaving fewer total points (over the life of the contract) remaining.
    However the rate of depreciation has significantly increased over the last year.
    I have read of multiple used SSR contract purchases at $40 or lower, just in the last few months.
    I have read of even lower cost purchases of OKW and even BWV (that one most surprised me).
    But if I actually look at listings, I am not seeing many below $60 a point.

Consider a new price of $130 - $150 (depending on the resort).

BLT sells new at $150. I have seen resales as low as $90 (maybe lower).

However the news is not all bad,
    If you buy resale a chunk of the depreciation has already occurred.
    The rental market is very good, and the ability to rent out the points for at least enough to cover dues (probably more) is still very good. I expect this to remain good.
    So if one found themselves in a financial crunch, they could always rent out their points until their own circumstances improved.

we love the whole condo feel, the laundry the full kitchen, we sat one evening and figured out how much we save making brkfast and dinner in the room... omg that right there makes it worth it. and with a little planning, no one is spending a huge amount of time in the kitchen. IN fact, I bring the crockpot, I bring a frozen dish for the first night and it thaws on the drive down, LOL> my husband is a great brkfast cook and the litlle ones love poppi to make them eggs. there is no where in the park you can eat anything other than icecream for less than 10 bucks a person, times 4 40 bucks, times 3 meals... well you see ... I get easy thing we can throw together quick... fresh fruit and vege, cheese, lunch meat, salad, and a few healthy snacks and treats. I carry god breakfast bars in my purse for the kids, in the parks and we eat out share of junk... micky mouse ice cream bars... turkey legs for lunch, I can also tell you where the bakery and fudge shop is in each park, LOL>
    we would rather spend our money on cool junk than bad food, LOL, to each, I say...

LPnerd