Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Ever been to Hong Kong Disneyland?

Ever been to Hong Kong Disneyland?

I'm wondering if anyone here has been to Hong Kong Disneyland? It looks like I might have a business trip or two to Hong Kong next year and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go there? I've been going to Disney World since I was little and have been to Disneyland many times as well. I'd appreciate any input.

P.S. Sorry for the typo on the post's title. Apparently I've been going to Disneyland since I was just a Disneylad!

Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

2. # ADS

I've spent one day there, three years ago. If you love Disneyland and you're heading to Hong Kong, then go. I didn't have a holiday specifically to go there, but I live in Australia and have made a few US trips, each with Disney theme park visits, and stopped off in Hong Kong on the way home once so I could see HKDL (by myself - I couldn't drag anyone else there).

Make sure you don't go there with high expectations. My reasons for going there were really to tick another Disney theme park off the list, and for a slightly different Disney experience. When I went, they had Space Mountain, which was the big attraction, but after that, they had Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, Winnie the Pooh, It's a Small World, Autopia, Jungle Cruise, the Railroad and not a whole lot else in terms of rides. You can get through the park in one day easily.

Besides the park having a serious lack of attractions, probably the biggest thing lacking (which applies to different extents to all the Disney theme parks outside of the original) is that it's not Disneyland, and won't ever have the charm and atmosphere of the original.

On the bright side, the Hong Kong train system is quite straightforward and it's fairly simple to get to (though not the shortest trip), and the convenience of good, clean public transport was fantastic. The park itself is set out quite well, with very large walkways, and the cast members are enthusiastic.

It's worth a look if you love Disney - just temper your expectations and you'll enjoy the day!

We were there a year ago. If you're a Disney fan, which I'm assuming everyone on this forum is, you'd want to visit the park, especially if you're already in Hong Kong. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel there, which looks and feels like a smaller version of the Grand Floridian. It's about a 15 minute stroll to between the hotel and the park. For transportation between the park and the airport, you can take the train (I believe there's one transfer) but we took a cab which I thought was relatively inexpensive.

The park is smaller than any of the other Disney parks, but they're expanding. They've already opened Toy Story Land, and will open Grizzly Gulch later this year. If you can go later in the year, I would wait until then.

Also, I just remembered I like the food they serve there, which consists of various Chinese cuisine. I don't remember seeing a burger offered anywhere, unlike the parks in California, Florida, and Paris.

2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Thank you for your replies. It doesn't look like I'll have the time to go on my first trip. I'll be making a couple of trips this year, so hopefully I can get there after Grizzly Gulch opens up. It sounds like I'll have a good time when I go. I'll post an update after I'm there, which probably won't be for several months now.

Thanks again!

Tony S.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    Thank you for your replies. It doesn't look like I'll have the time to go on my first trip. I'll be making a couple of trips this year, so hopefully I can get there after Grizzly Gulch opens up. It sounds like I'll have a good time when I go. I'll post an update after I'm there, which probably won't be for several months now.

Thanks again!
    OK..it's looking like I'll be going in July....I'll let everyone know how it was after my trip.
    Tony S.

Cool

I went to HK for a month last year and visited HK Disneyland on two occasions. I thought the park was great, because of it's size it allowed me to spend a lot more time looking at the Disney details. Normally I rush through Main Street to hit the rides but because it was a smaller park I spent literally an hour just popping in and out of every shop in Main Street and marvelling at the themeing. It may be a small park but it allows you to spend more time really discovering the Disney park. I though Adventureland was disappointing as it only has one attraction but generally I loved the park and loved being able to finally see the Golden Mickeys.

I loved HK Disneyland and think it's well worth a visit, it's very odd seeing the differences in food available in the park compared to the american counterparts and I would love to go back and see the new Toy Story Land. I visited twice in my visit and loved it! Deffo worth a visit even if it's just to soak up the magical atmosphere. Loved to take things slower than you can in the american parks.

Thank you, Duke. I've been to Hong Kong before and have seen a lot of the sights there. My trip in July should give me a weekend off to myself. I'm planning on going to Disneyland on both Saturday and Sunday. I'll put up a trip report after that.

Tony S.