Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: MouseAdventure rule clarification: When is a queue not a queue?

MouseAdventure rule clarification: When is a queue not a queue?

Hi! Even though we've played in several MouseAdventure events, it seems like we are still getting confused by the "if you get in line, you have to ride the ride/visit the attraction" rule. It seems straightforward, but there have been several instances where the area that we thought was a queue did not qualify as a queue in the minds of the MA bosses. Therefore, we wasted a lot of time for no reason. Before the next event, I'd like to make sure that I am understanding this correctly.

The exceptions, as far as I know, are:
    * Tiki Room - the outside waiting area does not count as a queue and can be exited without going into the show.
    * Mickey's House - teams can go through the house and "outdoor" area without having to visit Mickey.
    * Mr. Lincoln - the museum sort of area does not count as a queue and can be exited without going into the show.

What about:
    * Mark Twain/Columbia - can the waiting area be exited without riding on the ship?
    * Main Street Train Station - can the interior waiting area be exited or do you need to board the train once you enter it? What about the exterior waiting area - are you counted as being in a queue as soon as you go up the stairs?
    * Minnie's House - if Minnie is in front of the house, do you have to wait in line to see her or can you somehow get into the house some other way?

Could the people in charge please weigh in? Thanks!

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

2. # ADS

* Mark Twain/Columbia - can the waiting area be exited without riding on the ship?
    Nope, if you enter the waiting area here - you have to board.

* Main Street Train Station - can the interior waiting area be exited or do you need to board the train once you enter it? What about the exterior waiting area - are you counted as being in a queue as soon as you go up the stairs?
    If you just go into the ticket house, you are not in line and may exit. If you enter the exterior queue (the gated area) you have to take a ride.

* Minnie's House - if Minnie is in front of the house, do you have to wait in line to see her or can you somehow get into the house some other way?
    If the front door to Minnie's house is blocked by a line, you have to get in line to go in. If you can enter the front door without having to wait in line, you are fine (you cannot enter through any exit - including the back door of Minnie's house.

(there may, from time to time, be exceptions to the above. Exceptions would be mentioned in your instructions for the quest)

MouseAdventure - You ride rides?

Thank you!

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieBoy View Post
    Nope, if you enter the waiting area here - you have to board.
    OK, I'm curious - why isn't this the same as the waiting area for the Tiki Room, which is not considered a queue? They seem the same to me.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

No bathrooms or a food service location in the waiting area of the Mark Twain/Columbia. (Also, there is very little that cannot be seen from outside that queue.)

Ok then what about the mural in the Buzz exit? We thought you'd have to ride the ride to get to the mural since it was in the exit space. But found out later you were allowed to go through the exit area without riding.

I think for our game you had to ride - I know for at least one of the games we had staff stationed there for that exact purpose. That area is clearly marked as an exit. (I may also be forgetting. IF we did allow the exit to be used, then it would have been noted in the quest instructions or in the rules.)

When we start writing a quest, we take all of the posted signs into consideration. If an area is marked as an exit, we try to be as clear as possible when you can and cannot use that area without riding the attraction or watching a show.

Sometimes, if we have a game mechanic or a format that allows fewer teams to gather at one point, then exceptions are made. (Our basic viewpoint is, if it does not impact regular day guests in a negative way and it is not just easier to have teams ride or watch the show, then we accommodate it.)

Many times, we will just incorporate something from the attraction or movie into the quest.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieBoy View Post
    I think for our game you had to ride - I know for at least one of the games we had staff stationed there for that exact purpose. That area is clearly marked as an exit. (I may also be forgetting. IF we did allow the exit to be used, then it would have been noted in the quest instructions or in the rules.)
    Well, unless you have had more than one quest involving that exit--the one I played in you did NOT have to ride the ride and in fact not only was there a castmember posted at the exit, he/she had a copy of the info that would need to be copied down so as to not clog up the exit with MouseAdventure players writing down what they needed. And it was not noted anywhere that I recall---we actually did ride the ride and I realized part-way thru there was the other map at the end. When we got there the castmember was waiting.
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson