Thread: Mouse Tales' David Koenig: Graveyard Shrift

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Mouse Tales' David Koenig: Graveyard Shrift

Graveyard Shrift by David Koenig

First Aid shuttered for Disneyland's third shift, and more park news

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Highly disappointed about Compass. What a great spot for all the hotel guests to chill and get something to read, not to mention all the day tourists who might enjoy a quiet spot. Selection was spot-on, too. What on Earth could Disney possibly want to put there when they have a rent-paying tenant in place?

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the unfortunate thing here is that Disney may be willing to let their own "branded" shops stay in place longer even if they don't appeal to the public simply because there is no concern over agreements, leases, etc. It's a ploy the Irvine Co. uses extensively in Irvine - charge high fees and don't provide services, if a business leaves there is no pressure to fill it since they own the property and find it more cost effective to wait until someone is willing to pay the price. In Disney's case, they'll fill the space with something of theirs but it may not have that many guests. The one benefit (to Disney) that DTD in Anaheim has over Orlando is that the public HAS to walk past some of the shops, or all, in order to get to the parks.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Compass Books is the ONLY store (apart from World of Disney) in Downtown Disney where I ever went in and purchased anything. I have gone to Marceline's but I consider that more in the food/restaurant category than straight shopping. When Compass closes there's absolutely nothing else there that appeals to me.

Regarding Poppins: Disney says Mary & Bert continue to make appearances in the hub, but not at the bakery because "it is not a character dining experience."
    Regarding 3rd shift's loss of First Aid: Disney says it's "a pilot program" that may be temporary, in anticipation of adding thousands of cast members this summer.
    Regarding Compass: Disney won't say, but my guess is Compass' ouster may be related to the rumored signing of Starbucks to open in Downtown Disney. I'm guessing part of any deal would be the elimination of competition.

Something, or perhaps I should someone, else you can say good bye to is the Miner 49ers over in DCA. They just got their notice Tuesday night and on their Facebook page Wednesday announced their departure. Last day is scheduled to be Feb. 13th. They are taking it with a stiff upper lip (went to see them perform today), but let me tell you that it is the talk amongst the other entertainers at Disneyland and has sent a chill down their spines. All us fans are very upset over this. Sure hope this isn't part of the Disney Florida thing because we all know there is very little entertainment back there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koenig View Post
    Regarding Poppins: Disney says Mary & Bert continue to make appearances in the hub, but not at the bakery because "it is not a character dining experience."
    oh, yeah, forgot that you have to PAY EXTRA to do that. Sheesh. IN fact - when they take their break behind the Corn Dog Wagon - they make their way down the sidewalk NEAR the bakery but not NEXT to it. Such teases.

Regarding 3rd shift's loss of First Aid: Disney says it's "a pilot program" that may be temporary, in anticipation of adding thousands of cast members this summer.
    Really? with all the claims of costly healthcare - you'd think they would want something on site - but I guess if the rest of America gets dealt a "you're on your own" hand, then Disney CMs can too. How many now will call to ask for assistance on a cut or a twisted ankle when there is no local first aid - the pressure to NOT report it will be significant - from a personal cost AND employee file perspective IMHO.

I guess it's the way Disney can shave dollars this summer off the balance sheet. they're piloting "cost containment"

Regarding Compass: Disney won't say, but my guess is Compass' ouster may be related to the rumored signing of Starbucks to open in Downtown Disney. I'm guessing part of any deal would be the elimination of competition.
    Unfortunately - I see that and understand it. But what about Disney's own coffee location at the hotel? I know it's only open until 2pm but still.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Sorry to say that that the ride wont go any fast just by the cars being heavier, in case you havent heard, a few hundred years ago Galileo figured out that all masses fall at the same speed. The ride actually might even go slower since each car will have three seating compartments sticking up causing wind drag instead of two. Hmmmm

But the Matterhorn relies on momentum as welll and momentum is affected by the mass of the object (where p=m*v). The speed the vehicle travels downhill initially won't change*, that's true, but the ride vehicle will lose less speed on the upswings which will translate into a higher velocity on subsequent drops.

*All other factors being equal (and they obviously won't be). I suspect the mass of the safety equipment will easily offset the additional surface area.

Blog Entries

i realize this thread went off topic - but I wanted to add about the sleds - if you look at the pictures on a couple of fan sites today (miceage for one) you will see that they have marked off where they have to cut the mountain along the track to make room for the sleds - but not just room, they probably need to adjust for the movement and force of the vehicle as it goes around the track. I think the momentum point is a good one. turns might be more interesting ;-).

Porcelain Figurine

The decor includes snippets of song lyrics, chalk-sidewalk-painting flooring, and plenty of penguins, but the closest you'll find to Mary is her tiny visage atop the weathervane.
    There is an adorable porcelain Mary Poppins featured prominently in the display case in the left queue area. I am not sure if this is a recent addition.

They are going to cut the Matterhorn?? Wow!!

Now we know what is replacing Compass Books and I am very excited!! Plus it is NOT another Disney shop! Earl of Sandwich!

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I like Earl of Sandwich, and it'll be nice to have another place to eat at DTD that's (relatively) cheap, but I'd rather have a bookstore - particularly one that has a decent selection of books about things Disney. Such is the way of the world for readers, I guess. Amazon, here I come!