Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Hotel-Hop at WDW??

Anyone Hotel-Hop at WDW??

I am thinking of staying at 3 different hotels during my 5 night visit. I'm taking advantage of the spring discounts of 20-30% off the room rate.

1 night @ the Contempory
    2 nights at Animal Kingdom
    2 Nights at Coronado Springs.

Anyone else done this before?

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not that many hotels in that short of time. I did 2 different hotels, the first one for 2 nights, and the other for 5 or so nights (it was a DVC rental, and so I stayed at Pop to save $$ on Fri and Sat).

If you're really good about living out of your suitcase, it might not be toooooo bad - but I like to hang up clothes or put them in drawers, and toiletries unpacked so that many changes would drive me a bit nutty. Also, no way would I do it with kids - - too much hassle.

You won't be able to do the dining plan in a cost effective manner, and notoriously, DME has had issues with me when I have switched resorts, so be prepared to call them the day before you go home to get your pick up time.

Also, it is normally recommended to go from value to nicest, so your order should be reversed to 'step up' each move. It helps make the lowest cost one in the visit not be a disappointment.

When you make room-only reservations, you have to pay 1 night up front, and the remainder when you check in. So you'll be tying up 3 nights of lodging when you book it, over 1 if you were to stay at only one place. Not necessarily a big deal (because you won't be paying any more, just paying it earlier) - but something to be aware of.

Personally, if I really wanted to stay at those, I'd only stay at 2.

Cathy

^ I agree. For a 5 day visit I wouldn't stay at more than 2 and would very likely only stay at one resort. However, I always include visits to various resorts, usually to eat lunch and for a nice mid-day break from the parks.

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have to agree with the above.... thats a lot of resort hopping and in what is normally seen as the reverse order of preference.

I would start out at CSR and then pick one of the other two for the second 1/2, or just pick one. Maybe play around with the numbers to see what might work out.

While Disney does what they can to make this simple, the bigger thing is just packing and unpacking multiple times and then having to check into three different resorts. Its not really a big deal, but it just takes time - which some may consider a commodity on a vacation.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Why? Would? You?

All the time you spend hotel hopping you can't be in the parks. Add to that there is only any point hotel hopping if you're going to explore the 'new' hotel you lose even more time on such a short trip.

If of course your primary aim is to explore hotels, go for it, but like others have said, reverse the order.

JMHO of course

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

we've done a few split stays. I would not want to switch resorts more than once as others have said. Our shortest split stay was over 4th of July weekend last year, we did one night at BWV and two at POFQ and this was due to the fact that we could only get one night at a DVC resort that weekend since it was a spur of the moment trip. Disney does make it very easy to move resorts but we did basically live out of our suitcases for that trip. I think three resorts would be a bit much in 5 days IMHO. I was a bit concerned moving from a Deluxe resort to a moderate but we were not disappointed, we knew what to expect. OUr other spit stays have been going to or from SoG to WL or AKL but these were 7 and 8 night trips.

GOing to other resorts for meals or just to explore is a great way to see different resorts! good luck with your planning.

I want to take advantage of the low cost of club level at AK ($364 @ 20% off) so I can do the special Thursday morning safari (the only other day they do it is Sunday). I am saving the Coronado Springs for the weekend rate ($153 @ 25% off). I also want to splurge the first night at Bay Lake Tower in a studio ($534). From there I can see the Electrical Water Pageant, walk to the park, swim in the pools watch the fireworks from the lounge!

You know after all these great comments I think I will change my mind and opt for doing only two hotels during my stay. So my dilemma is.. Which one do I stay 3 days at? AK or CS?

Blog Entries

My take? 3 days at AK. I think the pools are better, the dining is better, and while it is a large resort, it is not spread out like CSR. Not to mention that there is always something going on at the resort that is entertaining.

CS is nice and all, and is a real nice moderate, but I think if price is not the determining factor, go with AK.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Last trip we stayed 3 nights at the Dolphin and 4 nights at the Beach Club. It was a lot of fun, but I don't think I'd hotel hop more than twice per visit.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

agree with everyone else. split stays are fine--no more than 2 per trip, though.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Starspeeder 3000 Technician

We did this for the first time last April. Mainly out of necessity, as we couldn't get a room at Bay Lake Tower for the full duration of our stay. We started at Saratoga Springs, moved to Boardwalk, then on to Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary. So, we did the hotel hop twice and stayed at three different resorts. In a way, I really liked doing this, as it kind of made time stretch out that much more. Perception is reality after all.

The only downside was that our park tickets were connected to our room keys/plastic cards. So, they were active and fine for the two Saratoga Springs nights, even though we didn't go to the parks for those days. On the third day and after the move to Boardwalk, we went Animal Kingdom and were stopped short at the main gates. Seems that our room key change messed up our park tickets, even after we were told it would be perfectly fine. Apparently, the front gate ticket reader machines showed an invalid park ticket, the customer service window system showed them as active. The tix were caught in some sort of cyber limbo, and had to be fixed.

So if you decide to hotel hop, be mindful of your park tickets if they are resolved to your room keys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StarTourist View Post
    So if you decide to hotel hop, be mindful of your park tickets if they are resolved to your room keys.
    This is usually only a problem if your room reservation is a part of ticket-inclusive package. (ie: like if you were getting free dining or something similar.) Generally speaking, if you buy tickets that fit your length of stay and associate them with your first reservation, you should not have a problem using the room keys with those tickets until they are used up. (The room key itself is just the physical "medium" for the tickets." You can then have them transferred to your new room keys when you check into your next resort.

Gusman, I think transferring them from key to key is the first step in ensuring issues. If you just continue to use the first key the whole stay it should be fine (I know people that get the free dining but don't use their tickets until future use, leaving them in the key). Or remove the tickets from the key entirely and not associate them with any key.

We just returned from DVC hopping. We originally planned on two resorts using DVC points and than a few nights off site due to my DH working a conference at the Rosen Shingle Hotel. (BTW, that place is TOP NOTCH! DH was treated very well while he stayed there.) We ended up spending some more points at OKW in the middle of our stay.
    I liked the fact that we got to experience 3 different resort but I wouldn't do it again. Depending on the length of stay I would maybe only do 2 resorts at the most. I like "setting up" my room the way I like and living out of a suitcase to save time on packing wasnt ideal.
    What we ended up doing though was setting out our outfits for the days we were there by placing those clothes in the drawers and closet and left everything else we knew we wouldn't wear in the suitcases. It was still a lot of packing and repacking with all the toiletries and things we used daily.
    We have season passes so the card key issue never presented a problem with us. HOWEVER, I did need to be very careful to keep my Keys separate since we ended up with different ones throughout the week. I accidentally grabbed the wrong key one day but thankfully DD had hers on her. ;-)

I am glad this thread was started because I have similar worries. We are doing 4 different resorts and a cruise, but within a 3week period. I did switch hotels last time i went but it was just from one to the other. My biggest worry is - we are checking into the GF the day before our wedding, but into a standard room. Then the night of the wedding, Disney Fairytale weddings is moving us to a suite. I am seriously considering upgrading that first night because I do not want to have to worry about getting out of the room and all my stuff just minutes before my wedding pictures. I am torn.

**Kristin**
    You just have to have it in you... the MAGIC*

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    My take? 3 days at AK. I think the pools are better, the dining is better, and while it is a large resort, it is not spread out like CSR. Not to mention that there is always something going on at the resort that is entertaining.

CS is nice and all, and is a real nice moderate, but I think if price is not the determining factor, go with AK.
    Totally agree with Gusman on this.

We have also hotel hopped on different trips...AKL to POP one trip and POLY to WL.

But, we stayed for 9 days or more. But, I wouldn't do 1 day at a Hotel...you wouldn't be able to enjoy it and take in the atmosphere let alone what the Resort has to offer.

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by WdwGurl4life View Post
    ...My biggest worry is - we are checking into the GF the day before our wedding, but into a standard room. Then the night of the wedding, Disney Fairytale weddings is moving us to a suite. I am seriously considering upgrading that first night because I do not want to have to worry about getting out of the room and all my stuff just minutes before my wedding pictures. I am torn.
    Have you thought about explaining the timing problem to the GF and asking if you can request a late checkout on the 1st night's room? You could probably have this request noted on your room reservation before arrival, but then you should remind the front desk when you check-in. Unless the GF is at or near full capacity, your late checkout request is likely to be granted.
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WdwGurl4life View Post
    I am seriously considering upgrading that first night because I do not want to have to worry about getting out of the room and all my stuff just minutes before my wedding pictures. I am torn.
    That's what bridesmaids and friends and fiances and relatives are for (or if any of the bridesmaid's parents are coming, too - that's something I bet they could do for you!). Have your stuff all packed up and ready to have someone move it (because you're not going to need it after you shower, assuming you're not getting ready in your room. If you are, only have the stuff out you'll be using and with a bag you can just throw it all into).

Even better - I bet FTW would even be able to arrange to have bell services move your packed bags!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    That's what bridesmaids and friends and fiances and relatives are for (or if any of the bridesmaid's parents are coming, too - that's something I bet they could do for you!). Have your stuff all packed up and ready to have someone move it (because you're not going to need it after you shower, assuming you're not getting ready in your room. If you are, only have the stuff out you'll be using and with a bag you can just throw it all into).

Even better - I bet FTW would even be able to arrange to have bell services move your packed bags!
    Or you could just upgrade!!!!!!!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Although upgrading and asking others to pack for you are also solutions - upgrading is expensive and asking others to pack for you could be problematic when you unpack and try to find things. Still these are options.

However, you might try asking for a late checkout first as late checkouts are done all the time in the hotel industry. If the GF is not at capacity, it is a virtual certainty that the GF will be pleased to grant a request for a late checkout, especially since it's really an internal move from a GF room to a GF suite.

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Late check-out was until 1pm when we asked for it. I was hoping for later like 3pm, but they wouldn't allow that. What time were you hoping for that would work for you? And I agree with asking Bell Services having your bags moved. I'm sure it's no problem.

Stephanie

I am going to see how much the upgrade will be* then go from there* I am getting ready in my room so stuff will be everywhere. Bell Services will probably be my best bet. Even though, I really don't feel like checking again in my wedding gown. I hope the upgrade isn't TOO much!

**Kristin**
    You just have to have it in you... the MAGIC*

Kristin, I would give Disney a call and explain the situation to them, and then ask them what would be best. With the bucket of money you're spending with them, they might just cut you a killer deal on the one night. Doesn't hurt to ask!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by DisneybyMark View Post
    I am thinking of staying at 3 different hotels during my 5 night visit. I'm taking advantage of the spring discounts of 20-30% off the room rate.

1 night @ the Contempory
    2 nights at Animal Kingdom
    2 Nights at Coronado Springs.

Anyone else done this before?
    A disney trip can be very hectic and tiring at the best of times, the thought of moving not once but twice in 5 nights is waaaaay not a good idea in my humble opinion.