Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Electric wheelchair/scooter rental

Electric wheelchair/scooter rental

Does anyone have suggestions about where to rent from? I know Disneyland has them for (I believe) $50 per day, but we're staying at Residence Inn Maingate, so that would be a bit a walk for my husband (who uses a cane and suffers when he walks too much). Of course, I could always drop him off at the park, but I figured I'd see what others prefer to do.

Thanks!

2. # ADS

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

The two main companies that seem to be used most often are Deckert's and Scooter Village (also known as OC Medical Supply). I use Scooter Village all the time. I would agree that you would be better off renting from an off-site company rather than Disney for several reasons--the off-site vendors are less expensive and you can use the scooter all the way back to your hotel. Also, the off-site vendor's scooters are a little bit smaller and easier to maneuver than the Disney scooters.

Remember that you will need to charge the scooter each night in your hotel room. You might want to consider bringing a three-pronged extension cord in case an outlet is not convenient to where you park your scooter in the room.

I am going to move your inquiry to the thread dealing with disabilities in the park. If you have more questions just ask--there are several people who can help here who regularly use scooters in the park!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

As Toocherie has said, the two main companys are Deckerts and Scooter Village. I use Deckerts for several reasons, they have amazing customer service, they'll deliver the scooter to the hotel and pick it up. We stayed at Residence Inn on our last trip and they have a dedicated ART stop and the trollys have lifts so you can actually ride the scooter to the ART stop, load it and then you don't have to worry about everyone else in your party having to face a long walk or riding back to the hotel in the evenings. If your husband has a disability placard from the state of California he gets a discounted pass to use ART as well. I agree with the suggestion of bringing an extention cord, the wall outlets are not always convienant to where you need/want to park the scooter in the room. Be sure to call the hotel directly and inform them you will have a scooter so they don't accidently assign you to an upper floor room, there are no elevators.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

Also, the Maingate is great at storing and charging the scooter for you. When we have a smaller room, I don't like having the scooter taking up room in the room, so I will take it back and the front desk clerks will put it in back and charge it for you! The staff there is extremely friendly. And I rent from Deckerts.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Thank you so much, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    As Toocherie has said, the two main companys are Deckerts and Scooter Village. I use Deckerts for several reasons, they have amazing customer service, they'll deliver the scooter to the hotel and pick it up. We stayed at Residence Inn on our last trip and they have a dedicated ART stop and the trollys have lifts so you can actually ride the scooter to the ART stop, load it and then you don't have to worry about everyone else in your party having to face a long walk or riding back to the hotel in the evenings. If your husband has a disability placard from the state of California he gets a discounted pass to use ART as well. I agree with the suggestion of bringing an extention cord, the wall outlets are not always convienant to where you need/want to park the scooter in the room. Be sure to call the hotel directly and inform them you will have a scooter so they don't accidently assign you to an upper floor room, there are no elevators.
    I never knew about the discount for those of us with the Placard. Good to know for the next time. I always carry mine with me. I use Deckerts. Their phone # is 714-542-5607. I love that they deliver and pick up from the hotels!
    Siggy aka Jill

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    I never knew about the discount for those of us with the Placard. Good to know for the next time. I always carry mine with me. I use Deckerts. Their phone # is 714-542-5607. I love that they deliver and pick up from the hotels!
    Siggy, you can go to the ART website and preorder the discounted passes and have them delivered to your hotel to be waiting for you on arrival. You need a copy of the paperwork that comes with your placard, not the actual blue hanging tag, the driver is supposed to ask for it if he sees the discounted pass. I've never had one ask for ours but I always carry it 'just in case'.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Hello Nessa - There are actually more than 2 main scooter companies. [removed by moderator]

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 01-16-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Commercial solicitations are not permitted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneStop View Post
    Hello Nessa - There are actually more than 2 main scooter companies.
    I think what she meant was there were 2 main companies used by members of Mouse Planet.

Welcome to Mouseplanet and thanks for your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    Siggy, you can go to the ART website and preorder the discounted passes and have them delivered to your hotel to be waiting for you on arrival. You need a copy of the paperwork that comes with your placard, not the actual blue hanging tag, the driver is supposed to ask for it if he sees the discounted pass. I've never had one ask for ours but I always carry it 'just in case'.
    Thank you! That is very good to know! Not sure when I am going back.
    Siggy aka Jill

Thanks, Mal. Is it ok if I call you Mal? I've been reading MP for a long time, so even though I don't post, you guys are like friends of mine. I appreciate all of the responses!

I have another question. Wheelchair usage at Disneyland is fairly new to us. We've only done it once before. Our group was only 4 people last time, so it wasn't a problem. This time there are 8 of us - 6 adults and 2 kids. I believe I read somewhere that you can have up to 6 people to go through the wheelchair entrances together. How strict are they on that? Does anyone know? We don't want to leave any of our party behind, but we don't want to take advantage either.

Thanks again, everyone, for the responses!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Thanks, Mal. Is it ok if I call you Mal? I've been reading MP for a long time, so even though I don't post, you guys are like friends of mine. I appreciate all of the responses!

I have another question. Wheelchair usage at Disneyland is fairly new to us. We've only done it once before. Our group was only 4 people last time, so it wasn't a problem. This time there are 8 of us - 6 adults and 2 kids. I believe I read somewhere that you can have up to 6 people to go through the wheelchair entrances together. How strict are they on that? Does anyone know? We don't want to leave any of our party behind, but we don't want to take advantage either.

Thanks again, everyone, for the responses!
    Fantasyland is strict. They keep the 6 limitation. Other rides, they will usually slide to 8, but be prepared that they may ask you to wait at an entrance point, and sent the extras through the regular line and meet up to ride. (At Haunted Mansion, my mom and daughter waited at the HA area by the hearst while the rest went through the standby line and when we got back to the front, we joined my mom and daughter.) Be aware that if it is possible to park and use the regular entrance, contrary to what some believe, it is usually faster to walk the standby queue. As an example, POTC, standby may be 10-15 mins, the HA entrance is rarely under 20 mins, usually closer to 30-45 mins. I've been there when the standby was walk on, and we waited 15 mins. IASW is one that is usually the biggest difference in time. Standby is rarely longer than 10 mins, but HA is usually 20-30 mins. Star Tours, check in at the FP line, and they will give you an appointment when to come back (usually an hour later.) SPace Mountain, the wait is by the exit, it is usually about 10 mins longer than the standby, but can be longer since there is only 1 rocket and it takes 2-3 cycles to get it loaded, rode, and unloaded. So, it usually is faster to use standby or even FP.

And Mal is fine...

Again, thank you! This is new territory for us, so we appreciate the help with navigation!

Smile There's a difference in wheelchair vs. scooter entry for Star Tours!

An additional note from someone who has had to navigate the parks in a wheelchair for the past few years - when we went to the Star Tours special day for PAPs, they had us go thru the regular queue, then wait until they told us where to go when we got inside. From there, we had to go to the front row and go all the way to the end of the row for me. This was not good for me, since it was much too close to the screen, there was a lot more movement in the front row and being that it was way off at the side, I got very nauseated from all the movement and trying to watch it from way on one side.

For scooters on the other hand, they let them go thru the exit. At first, I couldn't figure out why we couldn't go that way as well, since the regular queue is all switch-backs, but when we exited the attraction, it became obvious. You have to do DOWN a ramp when you exit, which is no problem for a scooter, but much harder for someone who is pushing a wheelchair, if you were to enter that way.

I don't know if things have changed, since it's been quite a while that ST has been up and running, but in case it's the same procedure, I wanted to let you know what we had to do in that situation back then.

I hope you have a good time, but also be prepared to have a lot of rude people running into the person in the wheelchair, pushing their kids in front of the wheelchair to run in front of it, or "grown" people running in front of it, etc.

It has gotten to the point that if the park is too crowded when we go in, we don't end up staying very long, due to the rude people who don't care and/or don't watch where they're going. It's a good thing we're PAPs, since we don't have to care how long we stay in the parks at any visit.

Karen W2

Blog Entries

Yes, be prepared for people to stop right in front of you, or for people to think the 18in you leave between you and the person in front of you is the perfect gap for them to cut across to get to get to a ride a second faster. While this happens frequently, you learn to shrug it off.

As for dropping him off, you can get a special rate for him to ride ART from RI, or do as I do, and the rest take ART while I ride the scooter over.

As Karen noted, there are two ways they handle the HA to the ride. Since your husband will in on a scooter, you will approach the person handling the FP queue at the entrance like I have previously posted. They will ask you if you know where to go, then will issue you a FP looking ticket with a specific time to come back (usually an hour later) and the number of people it is for. I haven;t asked for more than 6, and there are usually 3-6 of us together. I would ask them how to handle. Most likely they will allow 8 together. (Karen, no things haven't changed. We are there monthly, and it has remained consistent.)

If you would like a row further back from the screen, and can walk into the room, ask the person who is setting up the ride. They can usually arrange it.

Thanks again! We're headed there this weekend. All of your advice and insights are much appreciated!

Non-Resort ECV Rental Options

Hello all,

we are FINALLY taking my grandma with us to Disneyland and I am so excited!!!!!!

She has some limited mobility issues and we know that she will need an electric scooter. We have friends who have used the ECVs at Disneyland and have always had a great experience with them. However, we are concerned about her ability to walk in Downtown Disney and to/from the hotel/parks.

I am looking for information on electric scooter rental options. We have heard that sometimes the off-site rentals will die inside the parks and you have no way of getting a new scooter (unlike when using Disney's they will bring a new one to you). Any information & recommendations would be a great help!

thanks,

WaltDisneyFanatic

Blog Entries

I've moved your thread to a folder where you will receive more information. You will find there are several options for renting. My preference is Deckerts. 714-542-5607

I have never had one die inside the park. Generally, as long as you recharge every night, you shouldn't have a problem. One time I did get one with a bad battery, and they brought a new one to me right away.