Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Electric wheelchair/scooter rental

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Electric wheelchair/scooter rental

Does anyone have suggestions about where to rent from? I know Disneyland has them for (I believe) $50 per day, but we're staying at Residence Inn Maingate, so that would be a bit a walk for my husband (who uses a cane and suffers when he walks too much). Of course, I could always drop him off at the park, but I figured I'd see what others prefer to do.

Thanks!

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

The two main companies that seem to be used most often are Deckert's and Scooter Village (also known as OC Medical Supply). I use Scooter Village all the time. I would agree that you would be better off renting from an off-site company rather than Disney for several reasons--the off-site vendors are less expensive and you can use the scooter all the way back to your hotel. Also, the off-site vendor's scooters are a little bit smaller and easier to maneuver than the Disney scooters.

Remember that you will need to charge the scooter each night in your hotel room. You might want to consider bringing a three-pronged extension cord in case an outlet is not convenient to where you park your scooter in the room.

I am going to move your inquiry to the thread dealing with disabilities in the park. If you have more questions just ask--there are several people who can help here who regularly use scooters in the park!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

As Toocherie has said, the two main companys are Deckerts and Scooter Village. I use Deckerts for several reasons, they have amazing customer service, they'll deliver the scooter to the hotel and pick it up. We stayed at Residence Inn on our last trip and they have a dedicated ART stop and the trollys have lifts so you can actually ride the scooter to the ART stop, load it and then you don't have to worry about everyone else in your party having to face a long walk or riding back to the hotel in the evenings. If your husband has a disability placard from the state of California he gets a discounted pass to use ART as well. I agree with the suggestion of bringing an extention cord, the wall outlets are not always convienant to where you need/want to park the scooter in the room. Be sure to call the hotel directly and inform them you will have a scooter so they don't accidently assign you to an upper floor room, there are no elevators.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

Also, the Maingate is great at storing and charging the scooter for you. When we have a smaller room, I don't like having the scooter taking up room in the room, so I will take it back and the front desk clerks will put it in back and charge it for you! The staff there is extremely friendly. And I rent from Deckerts.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Thank you so much, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    As Toocherie has said, the two main companys are Deckerts and Scooter Village. I use Deckerts for several reasons, they have amazing customer service, they'll deliver the scooter to the hotel and pick it up. We stayed at Residence Inn on our last trip and they have a dedicated ART stop and the trollys have lifts so you can actually ride the scooter to the ART stop, load it and then you don't have to worry about everyone else in your party having to face a long walk or riding back to the hotel in the evenings. If your husband has a disability placard from the state of California he gets a discounted pass to use ART as well. I agree with the suggestion of bringing an extention cord, the wall outlets are not always convienant to where you need/want to park the scooter in the room. Be sure to call the hotel directly and inform them you will have a scooter so they don't accidently assign you to an upper floor room, there are no elevators.
    I never knew about the discount for those of us with the Placard. Good to know for the next time. I always carry mine with me. I use Deckerts. Their phone # is 714-542-5607. I love that they deliver and pick up from the hotels!
    Siggy aka Jill

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    I never knew about the discount for those of us with the Placard. Good to know for the next time. I always carry mine with me. I use Deckerts. Their phone # is 714-542-5607. I love that they deliver and pick up from the hotels!
    Siggy, you can go to the ART website and preorder the discounted passes and have them delivered to your hotel to be waiting for you on arrival. You need a copy of the paperwork that comes with your placard, not the actual blue hanging tag, the driver is supposed to ask for it if he sees the discounted pass. I've never had one ask for ours but I always carry it 'just in case'.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Hello Nessa - There are actually more than 2 main scooter companies. [removed by moderator]

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 01-16-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Commercial solicitations are not permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    Siggy, you can go to the ART website and preorder the discounted passes and have them delivered to your hotel to be waiting for you on arrival. You need a copy of the paperwork that comes with your placard, not the actual blue hanging tag, the driver is supposed to ask for it if he sees the discounted pass. I've never had one ask for ours but I always carry it 'just in case'.
    Thank you! That is very good to know! Not sure when I am going back.
    Siggy aka Jill

Non-Resort ECV Rental Options

Hello all,

we are FINALLY taking my grandma with us to Disneyland and I am so excited!!!!!!

She has some limited mobility issues and we know that she will need an electric scooter. We have friends who have used the ECVs at Disneyland and have always had a great experience with them. However, we are concerned about her ability to walk in Downtown Disney and to/from the hotel/parks.

I am looking for information on electric scooter rental options. We have heard that sometimes the off-site rentals will die inside the parks and you have no way of getting a new scooter (unlike when using Disney's they will bring a new one to you). Any information & recommendations would be a great help!

thanks,

WaltDisneyFanatic

Blog Entries

I've moved your thread to a folder where you will receive more information. You will find there are several options for renting. My preference is Deckerts. 714-542-5607

I have never had one die inside the park. Generally, as long as you recharge every night, you shouldn't have a problem. One time I did get one with a bad battery, and they brought a new one to me right away.

Planning 3 trips at once...