Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Clark W. Griswold - a Dads first trip - Nov 2-10 2011 - Caribbean Beach

Ode to Clark W. Griswold - a Dads first trip - Nov 2-10 2011 - Caribbean Beach

Hi All,

Well, its over.

I dont know if I can do a whole trip report but I wanted to start a thread in case there were any people out there I could help. I really appreciate all the help I got, and would love to return the favour. Here are the details of our trip, if anyone has any questions you think might help:

2 adults, 2 kids, ages 5 and 8
    Dates Nov 2-10
    Transportation, plane, DME, on site buses, once on monorail
    Resort - Carribean Beach Resort, preferred room
    tickets, 7 day non-park hopper
    parks, went to all 4 plus downtown disney
    dining plan - free dining plan with one table service, one quick and one snack.

some brief thoughts:

-what a marathon, I need a vacation!!!
    -free dining was amazing
    -enjoyed every park
    -enjoyed every meal
    -its a lot for a 5 year old to absorb
    -touring plans was way off IMO, just had to be
    -buses are very efficient for the most park
    -cast members are amazing
    - although we had free dining and used DME, it all really adds up in the end.

J

2. # ADS

Where were your TS meals? Why did you think the touring plans where "way off"? Off in your favor, or off as in way more crowded? What was the 5 y/o's favorite thing of the trip? how about the 8 y/o's?

Sounds like you guys had a good time, if slightly overwhelmed.

HA! I'm loving that the ad placed under your initial post is an add for the Clark Griswold Moose Mug!

Glad you & your family had a great time...I hear you about the free dining being a good deal - but it still adds up.

Fleming I'm so glad your overall experience seems to be a good one. Do you really think TP were off? I winder if you just hadn't appreciated Disney never does really quiet, just variations of a very busy place! Did you make any rope drops? What was the best bit? You MUST tell us more!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

There were 3 days that seemed a lot busier than the predictions but I guess the one that really had me perplexed was Wed Nov 9. If you look it up you will find Magic Kingdom at a 1.3. I assumed a 1.3 would be almost all walk ons for rides. but we experienced the following:

Space mountain at 10:00 - 20 minutes
    Dumbo at 11 - 30 minutes
    Peter Pan at noon- 40 minutes
    splash mountain at 1 - 35 minutes
    big thunder at 1 - 35 minutes
    pirates at 1:30 - 10 minutes
    jungle cruise at 2 - 15 minutes
    main street USA, hard to navigate at 3:30

We also went to MK Thursday Nov 3 on a 3.4 day and it was a lot less busy than the 1.3 day for us.

We also went to Epcot on a 3.1 day (monday) and found:

Test Track - 40 minutes at 2 pm
    Soarin - 80 minutes at 1:30 (do people really wait 80 minutes for a ride?? seriously?)
    The land - posted 20 minutes at 11, but we rode it after lunch with no line
    turtle talk - 20 mins at 10 AM
    Nemo 20 minutes at 10:30 AM
    spaceship earth had a small line every time we saw it.
    Imagination, no line

What do you think?

j

Hi. I think you had short lines for the times of day and the rides you describe. I have never queued for more than 20 minutes at anything but we do rope drop and storm for 3 hours during which time we collect FP's for later. I have seen Soarin at over 2 hours.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

i once asked a castmember the longest wait time for soarin 3 hours on new years eve.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Hi. I think you had short lines for the times of day and the rides you describe. I have never queued for more than 20 minutes at anything but we do rope drop and storm for 3 hours during which time we collect FP's for later. I have seen Soarin at over 2 hours.
    Is that why they are thinking of enforcing the fast pass window? Someone could go straight to Soarin', grab a fast pass that has an early return time, as soon as it comes up, grab another one for test track, for not too late in the day and then when that comes up grab a third one? All without ever actually using one up? Then when they use them it makes the standby lines longer for the rest of us??

We did Cinderellas Royal Table, Garden Grill, Yak and Yetis and ate 3 times at our Resort, Shutters at CBR. All were great, no complaints. They really rush you through the character meals, but thats understandable and gives more people a chance to experience it.

Fleming I'm so glad your overall experience seems to be a good one. Do you really think TP were off? I winder if you just hadn't appreciated Disney never does really quiet, just variations of a very busy place! Did you make any rope drops? What was the best bit? You MUST tell us more!
    We made 2 rope drops including one at early magic hours!! We were within 1/2 hour of 2 other rope drops. I was dissapointed with how busy it was, I thought we were going in the off season, I dont know if it was b/c of Jersey week, the nice weather, or the conventions, but it was too busy for me. 20 minutes is too long a wait for me, i'm on vacation! If the American economy is as bad as the media says it is, i would hate to see Disney when the economy is hot.

Best things:

mickeys Philharmagic
    Expedition Everest
    Parades at MK
    Guiness and chocolate lava cake at Ireland's F and W Kiosk.
    Festival of the Lion King
    Soarin'
    The land
    Hammocks at CBR
    Stich
    DME
    Free dining, we got so much 'free' food!
    Appetizers at Bongos Cuban Cafe
    Little Mermaid show
    Florida weather - Is it always warm, not hot, slight breeze and sunny?? lol
    Finale of American Idol

j

[QUOTE=scoobydooby;1697186]Hi. I think you had short lines for the times of day and the rides you describe.

even for a "1.3" day?

[QUOTE=rph13;1697084]Where were your TS meals? Why did you think the touring plans where "way off"? Off in your favor, or off as in way more crowded? What was the 5 y/o's favorite thing of the trip? how about the 8 y/o's?

5 year old:

getting a 'duffy' stuffed animal
    brushing the sheep at Rafikis planet watch
    mickeys philharmagic
    seeing the hat at DS (thats what she said was her fave part of that park)
    dumbo ride
    stitch

8 year old:
    mickeys philharmagic
    expedition everest
    space, splash and thunder mountain
    indiana jones
    test track
    macaroni and cheese
    stitch

Ha, ha, I had to laugh at the 5 y/o's favorite thing the sheep at planet watch. One trip one of my girls got to pick the whole afternoon itenery at AK and she choose to spend the whole afternoon "with the sheep" (what, are you kidding me???) I lasted about 5 minutes and then I had to get out of there. Luckily it was a quiet time and I could just watch her from outside the fence. The CM's totally got into with her and she was talking their ears off! Funny thing is this kid really doesn't like big animals, shes pretty nervous around dogs and totally doesn't get into cows or horses but she loved those sheep that day.

Hammocks at the resorts are one of my favorite things, glad you got to enjoy them.

I want to know what your wife thought of the vacation and what her favorite parts of the vacation were.

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

We go to Disney only during the slowest times of year (e.g., late January, super value season), and the wait times you listed are in line with what we usually experience. We spend a lot of time at amusement parks, but we always go at slow times so that we never wait longer than 20 mins. in any one line. 20 mins. for a headliner at an amusement park is completely reasonable, even during slow times.

Just out of curiosity--were the wait times you listed the actual times you waited in line, or the posted times? We've found that during slow times a wait time of 10 minutes really means you're walking for almost 10 minutes to get from the beginning of the queuing area to the actual ride.

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Soarin', and Test Track ALWAYS have long lines. Most of the other wait times you listed were either very reasonable or were during the peak time of day. Even at slow times, lines can get long in the middle of the day, especially if it is an EMH park. And Main St. at 3:30 was probably difficult to navigate because there is usually a parade at 3:00. There are always flukes, too. Lines may be unusually long if the ride broke down earlier in the day, for example. If we got to the Nemo ride and there was a 20 minute wait posted, we would keep walking and try again later. During a slow time of year, that should be a walk on (this is an ex. of a ride where the posted wait time is usually at least 10 mins., because the walk through the queue is so long).

It is interesting, though, that you felt the park was less crowded on a day that TPs said it would be more crowded. Does sound like TPs was at least a little off.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

[QUOTE=fleming;1697229]

Hi. I think you had short lines for the times of day and the rides you describe.

even for a "1.3" day?
    I don't know it's always been 8, 9 and 10 when we go!

Keep in mind that Disney knows the crowd estimates as well/better than any external site and they staff accordingly. So on a super busy day, a major ride will have a lot of employees and will be operating at maximum capacity. That same ride on a slow day may have the minimum number of employees and may be operating at 1/3 or less it's peak capacity.

But please, more about the food.

More thoughts (this is a point form trip report, lol)

- are there any other parents that would like to have a talk with the person who decided to put a toy store at the end of every ride?

- cast members are so nice, how do they find so many nice adults to work there? Many fast food places or amusement parks seem to be run by 18 year olds, this one has mostly adults and all are so friendly. (except one dude at Test track who, after we waited 40 minutes, asked us "how many", i said 2 adults, 2 kids, he said how many, i said 2 adults 2 kids, he said HOW MANY, I said sorry, 4, lol)

- does anyone else think tiki room and its a small world reminds them of Willi Wonka, or someones weird on drugs halucination?

- whats the deal with Imagination, none of us really got the ride, we wanted to like it because it had no line and figment is cute, but it just left us flummoxed. I think it goes too fast or something.

- everyone is different, my son thought buzz lightyear shooting ride was `ok` and loved stiches great escape!

- there is a lot out there about what is the best age to go to disney. My answer would be, unless you are very wealthy and are for sure going to go multiple times, dont bother until at least 6.

- its weird how sometimes youa re the only one on the bus and then next time its overfull

- the shows, are great for the whole family, lion king, mermaid, indiana jones, muppets, phiharmagic

- the playground at DS (shrunk kids thing) is a nightmare for parents, youcant keep track of your kids so you end up crawling on your hands and knees through the dark pile of dung to keep track of the little rascals, lol

- the character meals are extremely rushed so be ready for that. the efficiency of royal table is impressive.

- why would anyone want to stay offsite or go to another park, too much hassel, just my opinion.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fleming View Post
    More thoughts (this is a point form trip report, lol)

- are there any other parents that would like to have a talk with the person who decided to put a toy store at the end of every ride?
    You mean the same people who put candy & toys at the grocery store checkouts ?

BTW: I like your TR so far.

We really enjoyed the food and wine festival. There are over 20 kiosks that sell a small sample of that countries food/wine/beer. They give you a little book and you can travel around collecting stamps from each country and check off what you tried. We didnt have 'lunch' that day, just kept snacking. Also, for beer, you can get 6 oz sample size so you arent in too bad shape by the time you get to 'America'.

A great combo - Guinness and chocolate lava cake at Ireland!!

Germany has a whole wack of beers to try
    Japan has Sushi
    South Korea has raspberry wine
    Canolli at Italy
    Baklava at Morroco and all the workers were from Casablanca, neat!!

Morrocco was our favorite country to visit, they really have a neat little 'city' set up there with the different buildings.

At Japan they had drummers doing a small show.

For the skiers out there, at the end of the Norway ride you end up smack dab in the middle of an awesome Helly Hanson store with good prices.

You can send you purchases back to your hotel, so you dont have to lug them around all day, wow!!

United Kingdom had Mary Poppins and Alice.

[QUOTE=scoobydooby;1697283]

I don't know it's always been 8, 9 and 10 when we go!
    Wow, I honestly dont know how people do it when ts really busy. So many strollers and scooters (wow, there are a lot of scooters at WDW!) and lines. I guess some people are more sensitive to crowds than others. Some might like the crowds, like a big festival. I guess the key if it was super busy would be to skip a lot of the rides and just enjoy the experience, the parades, shows, monorails, restaurants etc.. That is harder to do with kids though. Slowly sipping coffee on a bench and waiting for the street singers at Main St, is a lot more fun for me than a child who just really wants to ride Dumbo!! lol

Fleming - I highly recommend a kid-free trip to WDW one of these days. You'd be shocked how a long weekend at WDW w/o kids is a completely different experience than a week there w/ kids.

I could see how that could be really fun, but what do you tell the kids?????? I would feel so bad going on Pirates or big thunder without them.... lol

[QUOTE=fleming;1698360]

Wow, I honestly dont know how people do it when ts really busy. So many strollers and scooters (wow, there are a lot of scooters at WDW!) and lines. I guess some people are more sensitive to crowds than others. Some might like the crowds, like a big festival. I guess the key if it was super busy would be to skip a lot of the rides and just enjoy the experience, the parades, shows, monorails, restaurants etc.. That is harder to do with kids though. Slowly sipping coffee on a bench and waiting for the street singers at Main St, is a lot more fun for me than a child who just really wants to ride Dumbo!! lol
    My friend. I don't do lines. Disney can be conquered at the busiest time of year if you plan, plan, plan your touring and GET UP EARLY. It is very hard work and obviously I'd prefer not to have the stress but we can only visit at Easter, Christmas or August so there it is. I love Disney, and every person who gets up late and doesn't plan helps me enormously The only day I have not dared face the crowds was Christmas day and I paid for crowd control at Discovery Cove to get over that issue. We certainly don't miss rides. Actually I hate crowds, I am very claustrophobic. I have children. Last trip they were 8 and 11. First trip they were 5 and 8 and second trip they were 6 and 9. It has got easier as they have got older for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ericles View Post
    Fleming - I highly recommend a kid-free trip to WDW one of these days. You'd be shocked how a long weekend at WDW w/o kids is a completely different experience than a week there w/ kids.
    I could see how that could be really fun, but what do you tell the kids?????? I would feel so bad going on Pirates or big thunder without them.... lol
    When we went without the kids we overcame that issue by simply not going on any rides Seriously, we spent our time taking tours, playing with dolphins and snorkling with fish, and eating, eating, eating. I did a trip report about our experience on the Platinum plan. It was pricey but definitely something that we could not have done with kids in tow. My kids had a fabulous time at their grandparents house and didn't miss us. Beyond that, we took a don't ask/don't tell approach to where we were going.