Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Facial Hair Allowed

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

personally - i don't agree with it. I thought the Disney look was important to establishing part of the environment and the guest experience.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Please, just no soul patches.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Please, just no soul patches.
    apparently that's in the policy. Beards or goatees are OK as long as they are not longer than 1/4 inch. no soul patches (as mentioned in the LA Times).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Sigh. I know facial hair looks good on some peole but frequently that's not who chooses to wear it!

I suppose it won't kill me.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me as long as they are well groomed.

I'll have to show this to DH, years and years ago he was offered a job in Florida at WDW doing something with their computers and he turned it down for two reasons... no money and writtened into the contract they wanted him to sign, was no facial hair. DH has had facial hair since he was about 20 so that was a show stopper for him. Why an employee that really would never see the light of day was required to sign a contract of no facial hair was never fully explained to us. But it was enough of a big deal that the headhunter made many calls to us and to WDW about it.

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Doesn't seem like a big deal to me as long as they are well groomed.
    Exactly my take on it too. Besides, facial hair is natural. It's not like they're allowing rainbow hair dye and facial piercings.

And, I think it some cases, it actually fits in well with the show. For example, I'd love to see the BTMRR CMs looking a bit more like gold rush prospectors.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Exactly my take on it too. Besides, facial hair is natural. It's not like they're allowing rainbow hair dye and facial piercings.

And, I think it some cases, it actually fits in well with the show. For example, I'd love to see the BTMRR CMs looking a bit more like gold rush prospectors.
    probably won't happen as realistically as that - with a limit of 1/4 inch of a beard.

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How come it took them a while before approving a mustache when Mr. Disney himself had one? If it's groomed nicely, then ok. As well as a beard or goatee. Kept trim and neat can look very nice. It's about time!

Stephanie

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Taking into consideration how hot it gets in the summer, not sure many will sport facial hair during the middle of the year.

Overall, not really a big deal as long as people look neat and tidy.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

New changes in The Disney Look

In both last and this week's WDW Update, Mark noted that there would be substantive changes in "The Disney Look." The updates are here and here.

Do you have any reservations about the changes? I don't, but I'm curious about how others feel......(Even Walt himself had facial hair!!!)

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

No problem what so ever. A) Walt had facial hair and B) I have a goatee.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

I really would prefer not to see soul patches but otherwise, I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I really would prefer not to see soul patches but otherwise, I'm fine with it.
    Yeah I don't want to see someone sporting some Grizzley Adams or ZZ Top type beard.
    Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Blog Entries

T - merged your thread with one already in progress. Thanks!

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by CBFETT View Post
    Yeah I don't want to see someone sporting some Grizzley Adams or ZZ Top type beard.
    Hey now, those could look good on BTMRR CMs

I have no issues with this policy as long as it doesn't affect the atmosphere of the parks. There's some rides (BTMRR, PotC, etc.) where I think certain beards could add to the atmosphere of the ride. I mean, if one of the Pirates CMs is suddenly sporting a Barbossa beard, how cool would that be? However, I also feel that there's certain places where beards will make things worse. I don't know why, but I just can't see CMs wearing beards in Tomorrowland, Haunted Mansion, etc. So, while I think it's great they changed the policy to let people have beards, I just hope they make sure that CMs that choose to have beards get placed/moved to attractions/restaurants where they fit in with the theming.

Blog Entries

Been seeing some tweets regarding the details.
    For example, if you want to sport facial hair, it has to be fully grown in. Those "growing it in" will be sent home.

So it looks like if you want to wear facial hair, you have fully grow it on your own time before you show off your creation at work.

For some, this might not be a problem. For others, its a moot point to even try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    I mean, if one of the Pirates CMs is suddenly sporting a Barbossa beard, how cool would that be?
    as I noted before in a post, according to one source (LA Times) the beards can not be longer than 1/4 inch, and no soul patches. Of course, we'll have to wait and see what the official posting is of the policy (takes effect Feb 3rd) and if managers duly enforce it.

So, if it is as noted, you won't be seeing Barbarossa's beard any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    So, if it is as noted, you won't be seeing Barbarossa's beard any time soon.
    I know. I was just saying it'd be cool if we did. I mean, if they are going to allow facial hair, why not create a policy such that it helps with theming? You know?

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    I know. I was just saying it'd be cool if we did. I mean, if they are going to allow facial hair, why not create a policy such that it helps with theming? You know?
    But don't CMs have a rotation of rides that they might be staffing? So while a particular style of facial hair might be themed to Pirates, that particular CM wouldn't then be able to work Haunted Mansion or whatever other rides might normally be in the same rotation as Pirates.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    But don't CMs have a rotation of rides that they might be staffing? So while a particular style of facial hair might be themed to Pirates, that particular CM wouldn't then be able to work Haunted Mansion or whatever other rides might normally be in the same rotation as Pirates.
    If that's the case, then I guess it would require a second policy change so that they can rotate among attractions that it would look good on. Eh, either way, I was just saying that it'd be cool, not that it should necessarily happen. Though I still think it's pointless to say "you can have facial hair, but only if it's short and of a certain type". But, they didn't ask me! :P