Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney cruise line cancels four Mexican Riviera sailings

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Disney cruise line cancels four Mexican Riviera sailings

From MSNBC: Link to story

Without explanation, Disney Cruise Line has canceled four of Disney Wonder's Mexican Riviera cruises in December 2012.
    <snip>
    The line is mum on the reasons behind the cancellations. "We look forward to making an announcement regarding these sail dates when the time is right for us to do so," said Disney spokeswoman Rebecca Peddie.
    Anyone booked for one of the impacted dates?
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

2. # ADS

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

No, but we are planning on going to Alaska in 2013, so I am watching this closely.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

We've been wanting to cruise on the Wonder ever since they first announced the ship's itineraries on the West Coast--but have no desire to travel to Mexico with all of the problems that are going on there. We've been hoping that Disney will change the itinerary to sail the West Coast with 3- and 4- day sailings. That way people could have the experience of sailing on DCL without the risks involved in traveling to Mexico.

I think another reason more people aren't sailing on the Wonder is that they move the ship to Alaska during the summer. That's great if you want an Alaskan voyage but doesn't provide a cruise experience for all of the summer visitors and CA residents who would have sailed on the Wonder during May-August. If more people had the opportunity to tie a DCL cruise to a DLR vacation during the summer, they would have had more success on the West Coast--which we thought was the initial plan for DCL.

If anyone from DCL is reading this, please don't give up on the Wonder sailing out of LA--just fix the itinerary so it's safer.

In addition to the repositioning cruises between LA and Seattle for the Alaska season, Disney Cruise Line has 7-night West Coast sailings round trip from Los Angeles in 2012. On September 16, 23, 30, and October 7, the Wonder will sail to San Francisco for an overnight, then south to San Diego and an obligatory stop at Ensenada.

It's not the 3- or 4-night itineraries you requested, but it does provide a different route than Mexico for. The other choices are the 14- and 15-night round trip sailings to Hawaii.

The Magic spent two summers sailing out of LA, all 7-night itineraries to Mexico. Alaska is a popular cruise option but the season there is only during the summer (for obvious reasons), so it was logical for the Wonder to move there for the summer months and it's been really popular with families.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

And don't forget about the two 2-week cruises to Hawaii.

For lovechows, I will only point out that just because a cruise goes to ports in Mexico doesn't mean you have to get off the ship at those ports in Mexico. For many people, a Disney cruise is about the ship more than the itinerary or the ports. You could even think of those port days, when the majority of the passengers get off, as wonderful opportunities to enjoy staying aboard!

Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!

I too would like to do some shorter sailings on DCL without having to fly east. Though I'm not sure where they'd sail to. Plus I agree that it kinda stinks that the only summer options when kids are out if school is Alaska. Though it's be a lot of fun, I'd also appreciate a cruise where I could enjoy things like lounging by the pool. I've seen my in laws Akaskan cruise pics. They wore parkas not swim suits.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    For lovechows, I will only point out that just because a cruise goes to ports in Mexico doesn't mean you have to get off the ship at those ports in Mexico.
    With the only exception being Castaway Cay, the Mrs. never gets off the ship once she embarks. She enjoys all the ship has to offer while people are exploring other places. Ive done some things at ports of call, but nothing too extravagant. Then again, they were shorter trips. This years trip may be different.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

They have a contract till 2015 with LA port so they wont be leaving right? I was going to get a cruise for my sisters wedding present, honeymoon. But her wedding is in march of 2013. I have been checking weekly since they put out the 2013 itinerary for the other two boats I have to say I am a bit worried.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I too would like to do some shorter sailings on DCL without having to fly east. Though I'm not sure where they'd sail to. Plus I agree that it kinda stinks that the only summer options when kids are out if school is Alaska. Though it's be a lot of fun, I'd also appreciate a cruise where I could enjoy things like lounging by the pool. I've seen my in laws Akaskan cruise pics. They wore parkas not swim suits.
    That was precisely why our family's first Disney cruise was on the Magic during its first summer on the West Coast. We didn't want to have to fly all five of us to Orlando (and moreover, be tempted to spend more time and money going to WDW....which is EXACTLY what happened on our second cruise, which was from Port Canaveral). It wasn't so much that we wanted to go to Mexico on that first cruise, but we hadn't been there before and we enjoyed it. Moreover, though, the ship was the main attraction.

The problem with the West Coast and shorter sailings is the requirement to stop at a 'foreign port,' which means Ensenada for any short cruises, and the lack, pretty much, of anywhere to go besides Catalina. Out of Florida, there are more options, with the big draw of Castaway Cay (which is wonderful).

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

DH and I were joking that Disney could buy some coastline in Mexico and convert it into a Castaway Cay West

I'd LOVE 3 and 4 nighters, even if it was just to Ensenada (we'd stay on the ship anyway). RCCL used to do those before they left the West Coast, and we loathe Carnival.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwel View Post
    DH and I were joking that Disney could buy some coastline in Mexico and convert it into a Castaway Cay West

I'd LOVE 3 and 4 nighters, even if it was just to Ensenada (we'd stay on the ship anyway). RCCL used to do those before they left the West Coast, and we loathe Carnival.
    Yep. We'd stay onboard too....but we'd go.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by Niwel View Post
    I've heard that tantalizing little rumor (not in any official way, mind you), and boy, I'd be back on the ship in a hot second if that were the case!

DLR AP; Pin trader/collector JohnGar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mulansgirl View Post
    They have a contract till 2015 with LA port so they wont be leaving right? I was going to get a cruise for my sisters wedding present, honeymoon. But her wedding is in march of 2013. I have been checking weekly since they put out the 2013 itinerary for the other two boats I have to say I am a bit worried.
    The contract was signed for two years (with options for three additional years). Whatever decision has been made, it is being made without the Wonder being in L.A. for a year (it arrived Jan. 21) and it doesn't look like it will be here the full two years.

It will be interesting to see what Wednesday's announcement reveals.
    Pin trader/collector; member, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society; member, D23; Walt Disney Co. shareholder.
    I used to go to Disneyland three times a year, then it was three times a month. Now it's once every three years.

If DCL does have a long-term contract with LA, I hope LA holds them to paying it out. If you read the other thread concerning this change, you'll see that some of us are pretty unhappy that DCL is apparently making this decision--especially without really giving the West Coast a chance. If they do make this change and move all the ships to the East, we will not do business with DCL.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGar View Post

It will be interesting to see what Wednesday's announcement reveals.
    I've heard that the announcement is going to be delayed. Somehow, with the cruise ship disaster this weekend, it might not be the opportune moment to announce new itineraries.

Quote Originally Posted by lovechows View Post
    If DCL does have a long-term contract with LA, I hope LA holds them to paying it out. If you read the other thread concerning this change, you'll see that some of us are pretty unhappy that DCL is apparently making this decision--especially without really giving the West Coast a chance. If they do make this change and move all the ships to the East, we will not do business with DCL.
    I understand that, for various reasons, people are not happy about DCL departing the West Coast (which has not been confirmed yet). I'm not happy about it either.

But...The Magic was here for two summers, and the Wonder has scheduled most of two years, with Mexico and Alaska. I'm not sure how that can be considered not giving the West Coast a chance. If people don't book cruises onboard ships, if Mexican ports are considered unsafe for guests so ships can't go there, the cruise line has to consider the practicality of running its business. If that business decision includes paying some fees to leave the contract early (since there's several December sailings that have been cancelled and the anniversary date is in January), that would certainly be considered in the decision to leave.