Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DL Candy Cane Dates

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    They are all the exact same. Hand made too. By Disney people. That is the beauty. No waiting or getting there early!
    So if you had your choice between buying something pre-made and buying something that you've just spend the past 2 hours watching get made, which one would you go for? If the goal is just to buy a candy cane, you can get that anywhere. But that's not the point. It's totally cool to watch them making something and then being able to purchase it right on the spot. It just doesn't matter that they taste exactly the same as the canes made elsewhere. Somehow the ones made and sold in the park are just more special!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    They are 9.99 each and you need to get a ticket that allows you to buy one when you go through the turnstlyle. I heard people start queuing up early in the morning to get them. Anone heard this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    *I* enjoy watching them being made. They are made in the window of the candy shop on Main St. Past years, they have been $8.

Here is a video from Disney Blog.
    They were around $10 in 2009 too. But with the AP discount it was $8.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    So if you had your choice between buying something pre-made and buying something that you've just spend the past 2 hours watching get made, which one would you go for? If the goal is just to buy a candy cane, you can get that anywhere. But that's not the point. It's totally cool to watch them making something and then being able to purchase it right on the spot. It just doesn't matter that they taste exactly the same as the canes made elsewhere. Somehow the ones made and sold in the park are just more special!
    Trust me....you would NEVER EVER know the difference. The coolest thing is watching them being made. I think you are all missing my point. The fun is WATCHING them being made. Probably 75% of the people that buy the candy canes that were made THAT DAY didn't watch them being made. That is so very strange to me..... I would have never spent ten bucks on a candy cane unless I saw it being made(and I didn't buy one that was being made that morning either). Now I am not condemning the people for waiting super early to get one and then not watch it being made but it truly makes no sense to me. But that is why there is more than vanilla available at the ice cream counter! Oh yes....and I am mad.....

I really think we're saying the same thing, Mad. I agree, you wouldn't know the diff - not in appearance, not in taste. But the cool thing, as you said, is watching them being made.

I was in D/MGM when Mulan was being made, and I really enjoyed seeing some of the artwork that was going to be in the movie. When I actually saw Mulan, I didn't see any of the exact frames that I saw on the animation tour, nor did I try. The cool thing was that I WAS THERE when they were making it, and it made seeing the movie that much cooler!

- James Taylor

The fun is WATCHING them being made. Probably 75% of the people that buy the candy canes that were made THAT DAY didn't watch them being made. That is so very strange to me.....
    I really think we're saying the same thing, Mad. I agree, you wouldn't know the diff - not in appearance, not in taste. But the cool thing, as you said, is watching them being made.

I was in D/MGM when Mulan was being made, and I really enjoyed seeing some of the artwork that was going to be in the movie. When I actually saw Mulan, I didn't see any of the exact frames that I saw on the animation tour, nor did I try. The cool thing was that I WAS THERE when they were making it, and it made seeing the movie that much cooler!
    I think the only difference that the two of you have are in proximity. I'm pretty sure you would feel differently about Mulan if, instead of being at D/MGM & seeing the artwork, you were only at WDW property & aware that Mulan was being made. Does it matter if you saw your candycane being made, a candycane being made, or simply have the knowledge that you are eating a candycane that was handmade that day?

Ultimately the perfect candy cane experience would be where I saw it being made and then a few minutes later was able to purchase that cane. I know it would make no difference in the taste of the cane itself, but seeing it made just makes it more cool.

- James Taylor

Ultimately the perfect candy cane experience would be where I saw it being made and then a few minutes later was able to purchase that cane. I know it would make no difference in the taste of the cane itself, but seeing it made just makes it more cool.
    YES! My point exactly! Love it!

Well. Glad that didn't take more than 18 or 19 tries to make myself understood!

- James Taylor

I really want a "handmade" Disney candycane! We won't be at the park until after Christmas...is there any way they might still have some? Watching them made would be awesome, but just getting one would make me happy.

Any day is a great day at Disneyland!

* Kathy is dreaming of a Disney cruise*

Quote Originally Posted by MissMinnieFan View Post
    I really want a "handmade" Disney candycane! We won't be at the park until after Christmas...is there any way they might still have some?
    I'd say there is no chance at all that any of the candy canes made in the park would still be available after Christmas. Sorry.
    - James Taylor

I'm going to be there the 21st, but not getting into the park until early afternoon. While I want a cane, I'm pretty sure they will be sold out by then.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

I bought mine around 11.a.m LAST year after the FOOD NETWORK story so I am sure if you swoop into the Candy Store right upon entering they may have some left. Like I said, there really weren't that many people there for the amount of publicity....

I bought mine around 11.a.m LAST year after the FOOD NETWORK story so I am sure if you swoop into the Candy Store right upon entering they may have some left. Like I said, there really weren't that many people there for the amount of publicity....
    The food network show was from 2009.
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    The food network show was from 2009.
    I love watching it each year.

Last year, there were none left after Christmas.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I love watching it each year.
    Me too. Mads comment implied that the food network special would've effected demand last year, when in reality it was just a repeat and probably not as advertised on the channel last year.
    Shannon

Oh, So it was a repeat LAST year. I don't have a TV so good to know. So maybe they repeat it every year? SO more and more people are in the know!??? I doubt there are any left even the day after they make them as the ones made on site are ALWAYS sold out. I don't remember there being too many of the off site ones there as 10 bucks is a bit steep IF one hasn't seen them being made.....but I have no idea.....Disney I am sure knows how to sell them and just how many to make so they are sold out sufficiently.

Yep, I searched to see if its scheduled this year yet and haven't found it yet. Since each batch of 40 takes 2 hours, I doubt they have that many made offsite. Besides if they had a ton, it wouldn't make them as special.

Shannon

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

DH and I are up and getting ready to head over. Hopefully there is not a huge line and we will be able to get a ticket!
    We have a Priority Seating for Minnie's this morning that will hopefully enable us to get in line at the Candy Palace just a little sooner.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Blog Entries

Rumor has it they did not pass out vouchers/wristbands at the turnstiles, but was the usual "queue up" at the Candy Palace and wristbands were distributed there. Churro Girl, any news?

Planning 3 trips at once...

Rumor has it they did not pass out vouchers/wristbands at the turnstiles, but was the usual "queue up" at the Candy Palace and wristbands were distributed there. Churro Girl, any news?
    Yes, they passed out wristbands outside the Candy Palace this morning. My bro and I were fortunate enough to each get one for the third batch at 2:30. We got in line around 8:30 this morning.

Last year I went 3 times and attempted to get one of those golden tickets to purchase a "freshly" handmade candy cane. Each day I arrived before 8am (one day I went I traveled through a horrific rain storm) and stood outside the park gates. Once the gates opened I immediately headed over to the Candy Palace only to find out they had no more tickets. On the third and final try I was very disappointed not being able to get a ticket and the CM at the register told me that they actually end up handing out all the tickets before the park opens. I was slightly confused on how they could do that and she said the golden tickets were being handed out to the Magical Morning guests. I ended buying a pre-made one instead. I'm sure a pre-made and freshly made cane tastes alike but for me it was the thrill of trying to get that allusive ticket. Unfortunately my bubble was burst when I found out that I never even had a chance. So if you attempt to get one this year, try to go on a non-Magical Morning day.

I forgot to mention, each wristband was good for ONE candy cane.

We watched them make the afternoon batch today. My daughter is 5 so I never thought we'd be there for 90 min but she was busy making new friends of her own age & and in DL Security and we switched from inside to outside a couple times. The CM I spoke to in the Candy Palace said they sometimes had a few bits left & would give samples. That kept DD there & patient (must be all the trips to Costco . At one point there was a break in a cane and the CM doing the cane shaping bent it into a mini cane (about 6" total) and pushed it toward DD. After they finished the batch & handed out samples from the end piece, they gave DD the mini cane. It really made her day. We took a photo of her with the CM & thanked everyone profusely. It was awesome & just another example of why we keep renewing our passes.

-- Cindy

That is pretty cool.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A five year old who does ANYTHING for 90 minutes is very deserving of a reward! It was nice that they were able to make it an actual candy cane, too!

Cathy