Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney Cruise Line puts an end to advertising via stateroom door decorations

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Disney Cruise Line puts an end to advertising via stateroom door decorations

A new Disney Cruise Line policy came across my desk today, shared by a friendly CM reader:

"Effective immediately, Guests are prohibited from affixing any magnetic signs that carry any other company name than Disney to their stateroom doors."

This is an interesting development, and I wonder what prompted the new policy. Using magnets to decorate stateroom doors is a longstanding tradition on the Disney Cruise Line. People make custom magnets with their names and hometowns, or to decorate for special events like birthdays or weddings, or to share their favorite characters. Both Disney Vacation Club and the DCL Castaway Club have special door magnets to identify their members. This is so much a part of Disney Cruise Line culture that the company even included a decorated door for Pepe as part of the onboard Muppet detective agency game.

Of course, the magnets also provided a way for various travel agencies and related companies to advertise, and it wasn't unusual to see magnets from one agency or another on the doors as you walked down the hall. One agency even had their hand slapped a few years ago after Disney learned they were paying a stateroom host to place magnets on the doors of their clients each cruise - the company provided the host with a supply of magnets, and e-mailed a list of stateroom numbers before each sailing. I don't think that incident prompted this sudden policy change, but something did.

So now Disney has an outright ban on any non-Disney advertising on the doors, though there is no mention of what will happen if Disney finds such a sign, nor if the ban also extends to logos instead of just company names.

Personally, I'm unhappy about this, because Tony and I need to reprint all of our door signs (like the ones below, created for relatives on the Panama Canal cruise) to remove the MousePlanet logo. Magnetic paper isn't cheap!

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Just use the NCAA method and put gaffer's tape over the logo.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had a magnet white "board" from a TA that we used on our last cruise... it had their name on it and the like. It was very useful during our last trip.

Im guessing here but Im betting TA's trying to advertise and/or getting onboard bookings assigned to them -might- be a factor. Its been something of a topic of discussion in the past around FB and the like. (Referring to onboard booking policies, not this new policy.)

Instead of saying "no TA advertising" they just cut it all out across the board.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, bummer! I liked putting my MP logo on my door!

Cathy

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Oh, bummer! I liked putting my MP logo on my door!
    It was a great way to identify staterooms who are part of a community, especially for gift exchanges, etc.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

My TA also sends me a whiteboard/photo frame magnet before each cruise. I thought it was a great perk. We will still take it and just put it inside the door instead of outside.

Last cruise I put my Castaway Club whiteboard magnet inside the door because I was worried about that one getting stolen. I had plenty of the TA ones so I didn't worry about that one being stolen. Oh well, no more whiteboard magnets outside the door now.

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The whiteboard magnets were awesome for leaving notes for our stateroom host... and notes for family members.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!