Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: I did it! Cruisin' 2013!!!

I did it! Cruisin' 2013!!!

I just made a reservation for the summer of 2013! I am excited! I have never been on a cruise and we will be celebrating one high school graduation (the one that wanted this trip) and one from college! I can't wait!!!!

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

2. # ADS

Congrats on booking your cruise!!! We also booked for June of 2013 on the Fantasy. Hum, maybe it is time to start a "Cruising in 2013" thread

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you ever been on a cruise before?

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

I'm going on the Dream in May 2013, cannot WAIT!!

Really Bummed!!!

So, yesterday I found out that the school district and my daughter's graduation could possibly be held the first week in June of 2013 instead of school/graduation being completed by Memorial Day. Almost every year, school is concluded by the Friday before Memorial day. Not so for the upcoming school year (2012-2013). The state of Texas has decided to not allow public schools to start until August 27th this year. As we have to have 177 school days for our kids, it will be really hard for them to get the kids out of school by May 30th, let alone before Memorial day.

Our cruise is scheduled for June 1st.

The committee that is trying to decide which of the three school calendars to go for can't say when graduation would be held on May 30th or the 31st for one calendar, or sometime in the first week of June, the other two calendars. So, I am having a problem with figuring out which cruise date to go for.

We were going on the Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean. June 1 - 8. Now we can't do that one. I really want to stick with the Eastern Caribbean though.

IF the calendar they choose ends school on May 30th, it is still debateable as to when they would actually hold graduation. The 30th or the 31st. IF they do it on the 30th, then after the ceremony is over, there is Project Graduation. Then the whole family could grab a flight later that night, and be able to get on the ship before it disembarks.

IF they hold graduation on the 31st, we still have Project Graduation all night long, and then trying to make sure we could catch a plane to get to Florida sometime late Friday night or early Saturday morning and hope we can get on the ship before it leaves.

If they choose a calendar where school gets out by the 6th or 7th of June, well.... we couldn't get on the ship.

I found two rooms that are little more expensive, but instead of being a Standard Inside Stateroom, they are Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms. Is it worth it to get a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom or stick with a Standard Inside Stateroom? The cost difference is 470.50. This is going to be our first cruise. There are five of us going. We are going to have two rooms. My ex and son will be in one room while my two daughters and I in the other one.

Thoughts?

Shelley

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is the Standard Inside stateroom the one with two 'bathrooms' or just one? (One bathroom has the toilet and a sink, the other has the tub/shower and a sink).

The two bathrooms would be better if you had 3 women (1 or 2 of them teenagers!) getting ready at once.

I had booked a two bath inside on my first cruise, but got an upgrade to an ocean view - but that was at a slower time of year then when you're going AND on the Wonder, not the Fantasy.

But on the Fantasy, you have the cool 'windows' on the inside staterooms.

So if the bathroom thing isn't a consideration for your group, I think I'd probably go with the inside and have a few more slushie drinks!

Cathy

I should preface this with our "Cruise Cast".
    Me - 45, Disneyland several times, WDW twice, 1st Cruise
    ex-husband - 47, WDW once (That I know of) Not sure about Disneyland.
    DD#1 - 20, Disneyland several times, WDW twice, 1st Cruise
    DD#2 - 16, Disneyland several times, WDW twice, 1st Cruise
    DS - 15 Disneyland several times, WDW twice, 1st Cruise
    (ages as of now)

Cathy

I will be rooming with two girls, a 21 year old and an 18 year old. For one of them, she has to put on makeup no matter what. She is just that way. The other, it doesn't seem to matter to her if she wears makeup or not (at least at this stage of her life), so to have the vanity separate would be a big deal. But thankfully Sandy at Small World Travels has gotten my life back into "cruise" control! We did upgrade from the Deluxe Inside Stateroom to a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom. Our room number is 7504. It says that "porthole window limited ocean view", so I am not sure what that means exactly. The room appears to be "larger" but if you look at the picture online, the ceiling slopes a bit. I don't think that the limited ocean view will be that big of a deal because one of the girls is prone to air sickness, so I am not sure how she is going to take being on the sea. I know I will be bringing a lot of Dramamine. My son gets air sick as well... Since none of us has ever cruised before, I would rather have too much Dramamine instead of not enough.

The downside of when this cruise is, it is in the middle of hurricane season. I haven't purchased the insurance yet, but before I make the final payment, I will be adding that. Oh yeah, the cost went up about $700.00 but view was an improvement. I wouldn't have minded staying in the inside stateroom because of the magic porthole, but the only rooms available for the inside rooms were on different decks. Since this is our first family vacation taken since 1997 and probably the last for a long while, I thought it would be best to at least be on the same deck. The second room we got was right next to the one that the girls and I are staying in.

Has anyone ever stayed in one of those rooms that are at the "corner" of the ship? I believe it is at the bow, starboard side.

Shelley

We are scheduled on the Fantasy in November 2013; I just wish time would speed up. I hate waiting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phred84044 View Post
    We are scheduled on the Fantasy in November 2013; I just wish time would speed up. I hate waiting!!!
    I thought about going in November myself... until I realized that over Thanksgiving this ship is going to the Western Caribbean and I wanted to do the Eastern Caribbean. I was sort of bummed, but I am excited none-the-less! Where are you all going too? Eastern or Western?
    Shelley

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I did a 14-day cruise on the Magic in an inside stateroom with the single bathroom, and it was fine for me as a solo traveler. I remember thinking at the time there was no way my husband and I would have been happy with that arrangement - we had a hard time living in a house with only one bathroom! There is absolutely no. way. in. heck. I would even contemplate that with two other women. I'm glad you upgraded - you really won't be sorry.

Adrienne

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I did a 14-day cruise on the Magic in an inside stateroom with the single bathroom, and it was fine for me as a solo traveler. I remember thinking at the time there was no way my husband and I would have been happy with that arrangement - we had a hard time living in a house with only one bathroom! There is absolutely no. way. in. heck. I would even contemplate that with two other women. I'm glad you upgraded - you really won't be sorry.

Adrienne
    I am glad we upgraded as well. I am sure it will be fun. My dad keeps making little remarks on how he can't see going on ANY ship, because it is cramped and this and that. My dad is not one to jump out of perfect good airplanes (neither am I) nor does he even want to attempt going on any ship. "Too many people get food poisioning or the ship wrecks or...." I want to go at least once in my life so I am looking forward to it.

Here is the link to the deck plans... http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...-deck-plan.htm If you zoom into Deck 7, you can see the two cabins and where they are located. I would really like to know if anyone has ever stayed in one of the corner rooms. Is the porthole blocked a lot? Is that going to be enough room for three women? Again, just more curious than anything else.
    Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrosedtxn View Post
    I thought about going in November myself... until I realized that over Thanksgiving this ship is going to the Western Caribbean and I wanted to do the Eastern Caribbean. I was sort of bummed, but I am excited none-the-less! Where are you all going too? Eastern or Western?
    We are doing the Western in early November. We've done both and we much preferred the ports on the Western. We are very excited for the stop in Costa Maya and plan to visit the ruins!

Quote Originally Posted by phred84044 View Post
    We are doing the Western in early November. We've done both and we much preferred the ports on the Western. We are very excited for the stop in Costa Maya and plan to visit the ruins!
    One of the reasons I wanted to do the Eastern this time is because I heard the shopping is really good St. Maarten and with two girls (one of which LOVES to shop) I wanted to do this with them. And since their now a ship that is going out of Galveston, we'll see if we take another cruise. I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrosedtxn View Post
    I am glad we upgraded as well. I am sure it will be fun. My dad keeps making little remarks on how he can't see going on ANY ship, because it is cramped and this and that. My dad is not one to jump out of perfect good airplanes (neither am I) nor does he even want to attempt going on any ship. "Too many people get food poisioning or the ship wrecks or...." I want to go at least once in my life so I am looking forward to it.

Here is the link to the deck plans... http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...-deck-plan.htm If you zoom into Deck 7, you can see the two cabins and where they are located. I would really like to know if anyone has ever stayed in one of the corner rooms. Is the porthole blocked a lot? Is that going to be enough room for three women? Again, just more curious than anything else.
    7504 is a much larger than normal ocean view stateroom simply because of its location on the ship where the curves in the front. It's a little unusual in its layout because of this, but you have a lot more square footage, so yes, you'd have a lot more space for three people. I often book clients into 7504, 7006, 8504, and 8006 for the more spacious accommodations!
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

This one is better:

oversizedoceanview.jpg

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Quote Originally Posted by mkraemer View Post
    This one is better:

oversizedoceanview.jpg

AWESOME! I am so excited! Thanks for letting me know!
    Shelley