Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steakhouse 55

Steakhouse 55

We always go to Blue Bayou for dinner during our trip but are rethinking it because of the menu changes. Nothing really sounds good to me on the menu besides the monte cristo and I can get that cheaper elsewhere. So we are thinking Steakhouse 55 is a good option for us. I read the reviews but there isn't anything in the last year for dinner. My main question is how is the steak? Is it really, really good quality, cooked to perfection steak? We don't want to go someplace that's just mediocre and spend a bunch of money. Oh and how is the mac and cheese that's listed as a side? Does anyone know if it's made with Velveeta?

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

2. # ADS

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar

I have heard only great reviews for the food here. But if you want a truly amazing steak, head down the street a bit to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. There is no finer tasting steak on earth.

Check out my Walt's Apartment tour on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7625183415995/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    But if you want a truly amazing steak, head down the street a bit to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. There is no finer tasting steak on earth.
    Hum. I would not agree with that. There's certainly nothing wrong with it and they have a fine presentation but it's not the best I ever had. Plus, Ruth Chris is everywhere. If you are looking for something "Disney," Steakhouse 55 would be a more likely choice.

No clue on the mac and cheese I'm afraid.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

I have heard only great reviews for the food here. But if you want a truly amazing steak, head down the street a bit to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. There is no finer tasting steak on earth.

Ruth's Chris is good but not fabulous in my mind. Randomly the best steak I have ever had at a restaurant was at The Keg in Renton, WA about 6 years ago. I am really just disappointed that the Blue Bayou menu changed so much and that it took me this long to notice it.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

Just out of curiosity, how much has the menu changed?

We eat there every trip(except this last one of course) and the menu has not been altered much in the last 8 years. The only major changes that come to mind are the swap of Prime rib for 5 pepper New York Strip.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroGirl View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much has the menu changed?

We eat there every trip(except this last one of course) and the menu has not been altered much in the last 8 years. The only major changes that come to mind are the swap of Prime rib for 5 pepper New York Strip.
    It's just way smaller now. I always got the prime rib and I'm not a huge New York fan unless it's bbq'd at home. They used to have mahi mahi, pork chops and crab legs. There was other stuff too but I can't think of it now. It just seems so limited. I have gone there every trip but one when Pirates was down and I really want to hold on to the tradition but the food is just not good enough to spend $140.

I just died a little inside by admitting this by the way.
    "It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missm View Post
    the food is just not good enough to spend $140.
    This pretty much sums up my opinion of Blue Bayou for some time now.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    This pretty much sums up my opinion of Blue Bayou for some time now.
    Oh I know it does! What is it I'm supposed to tell them for my first visit at Napa Rose? I'm sure I will become a convert.

I feel like a little part of my childhood died though, my first trip to Disneyland included Blue Bayou. I was 7 and my parents saved for years and years and years (no exaggeration) for our family to go. They took us to Blue Bayou as a treat and I think my mouth hung open the entire time I was in such awe of the place.

Blog Entries

Tell them MousePlanet sent you and that you are open to trying new things. Unless you aren't. if you just want a steak, they will make you very happy.

Just be comfortable in knowing your needs; they are there to meet them.

It's sad not to feel Blue Bayou is special the way you remember it but in my opinion when you start to feel disappointed in the food there, it's time for a break.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Oh I know it does! What is it I'm supposed to tell them for my first visit at Napa Rose? I'm sure I will become a convert.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Tell them MousePlanet sent you and that you are open to trying new things. Unless you aren't. if you just want a steak, they will make you very happy.
    Blue Bayou was never part of my tradition, so I didn't have to deal with that disappointment.

But I hope that you will find the Napa Rose a suitable alternative. I took a friend there a few weeks ago for her very first visit. I asked it if lived up to my hype and she said it did.

And there's nothing at all wrong with ordering for yourself off the menu at NR. I like letting the chef pick for me but sometimes I just need to order for myself. I don't have any trips planned for a very long time but I need an excuse to go get a certain feline named salad soon. It's been over a year since I had it and I'm going through withdrawals.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Unless you want a baked potato with it.... <eg>
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Randomly the best steak I have ever had at a restaurant was at The Keg in Renton, WA about 6 years ago.
    Wow, talk about memory lane. When had The Keg in Bremerton when we lived in that area. It's been about 10 years.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

My goto lately for checking out a dish is to check out the pictures on Yelp. There are some pics of the mac & cheese there.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Unless you want a baked potato with it.... <eg>
    <giggle>
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

No clue about the mac and cheese, but we ate at Steakhouse 55 with a large group in September. I'm not a big meat eater, but one person in our party had steak, and he was showing everybody that it was so tender he could cut parts of it with his fork. It made him happy.

We also had two rather picky eaters in our party (not me), and they graciously accommodated their requests.

I've been there 5 or 6 times, almost always with a large party including children, and they've always treated us very well. Last time, they put us in a private room that they told us Selena Gomez and her boyfriend...hmmm....what's that kid's name again? ) ate in the day before. (The kids were far more excited about Gomez than they were Bieber...)

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    My goto lately for checking out a dish is to check out the pictures on Yelp. There are some pics of the mac & cheese there.
    It looks good! I can say I will have trouble choosing dessert based on those photos though!

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I looked on Yelp and could not find the pictures.
    Siggy aka Jill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    I looked on Yelp and could not find the pictures.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/lPjVR...C2iaYHihS960hA
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thanks! Looks good!
    Siggy aka Jill

We (3 adults) went to Steakhouse 55 last summer instead of our traditional Blue Bayou and we all enjoyed it very much. Next time we are going to try Ruth's Chris since there is not one around here. They were going to build one in Reno, but when the economy nose-dived they pulled out.

I didn't know the Blue Bayou changed its menu again so maybe we will just go for lunch next time.

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    Walt Disney

!!!

What parts of the earth have you been to? Ruth's Chris' star has come down a bit from its 80's heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by The old man View Post
    !!!

What parts of the earth have you been to? Ruth's Chris' star has come down a bit from its 80's heyday.
    It really depends on many factors. Ruth's Chris is great sometimes. Like I said earlier one of the best steaks I've ever had was at The Keg. I mean come on it's The Keg and I've been to some nice steakhouses. It is always going to depend on the chef, the cut of steak, the aging process and so on.

!!!

I don't know which locations you frequent, but my family still liked Ruth's Chris as recently as a few years ago. And now, we don't dislike it, we just have two kids and don't believe it taking little angels to fancy places where they have to be on good behavior unless we have a really good reason. I did notice that we had varied service depending on the locations that we ate at. Our favorites were the Ruth's Chris in Irvine and in Del Mar. We went to the newer location in Anaheim once or twice and enjoyed it.

Of course, our new favorite is Cut in Beverly Hills. They bring out their sample meats, so you can see the difference in marbling between an angus and a wagyu steak. They also have the steaks sorted by region and by aging process so there should be something there to please just about anyone. Sadly, they have outrageously high prices - but oh so yummy.

We haven't eaten at Steakhouse 55 so I can't comment on its quality. I will say that all the other posts on this thread have me wanting to go to Napa Rose on my next kid free weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Of course, our new favorite is Cut in Beverly Hills. They bring out their sample meats, so you can see the difference in marbling between an angus and a wagyu steak. They also have the steaks sorted by region and by aging process so there should be something there to please just about anyone. Sadly, they have outrageously high prices - but oh so yummy.
    So then how can you say, "There is no finer tasting steak on earth [than at Ruth's Chris]"?

So then how can you say, "There is no finer tasting steak on earth [than at Ruth's Chris]"?
    Personally, I cannot, and if you go back through this thread you will note that I didn't. But I can still like it and it is significantly more affordable than Cut. Your original comment made it seem that Ruth's Chris used to be an amazing restaurant and it no longer was. Considering other comments on this thread which have indicted the Blue Bayou for their falling standards I interpreted your prior comment as indicative that their standards had fallen. If that was not the way you intended it, my mistake.

Was Ruth's Chris ever the best place on earth? I suppose there was a time pre-Cut that I may have thought that. I still remember the first time my husband ate at one of their restaurants on a trip without me. He was still in sticker shock and suspected that I would be as well, so he went on and on about how wonderful it was and only once he stopped for breath did I reveal I had eaten their previously, knew how expensive it was, and he wasn't in trouble. I'm not sure if he has had a meal at Ruth's Chris as good as his first meal, not because the service has gone down but because he had never tasted good steak before and was blown away by the experience. This doesn't mean it's quality has gone down, only that our horizons have expanded.