Quantcast Is the Halloween party worth the ticket price?
  Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World | User Reviews | Travel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Is the Halloween party worth the ticket price?

  1. #1

    Is the Halloween party worth the ticket price?

    Now that I understand what it is... We get in town late afternoon on Halloween and weren't planning to do the park that day. That said, I can't imagine being there for Halloween and not taking our four year old trick or treating in Disneyland. From those that have been, is it worth it?

    Hi-Ho

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Location
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1

    Yes, absolutely. Now, that said, Halloween is the busiest night there, and you might want to secure tickets now, as they may be sold out soon.

    Planning 3 trips at once...

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Now, that said, Halloween is the busiest night there, and you might want to secure tickets now, as they may be sold out soon.
    Thanks Malcon10t. You are always so responsive...appreciate it! Think we will get the tix.
    Hi-Ho

  5. #4
    Sweet Spot - we miss you!
    MousePad Subscriber
    shna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Where the Heart Is
    Blog Entries
    2

    We love the Trick-or-Treat Party & think it's totally worth the price. We've been there on Halloween night the past couple of years, but are doing the Friday before Halloween this time around.

    Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

  6. #5

    I answered in the other thread you started: If you can afford it, yes I do. You all can go in costume and she will still get a chance to Trick or Treat. There are special Halloween fireworks and a Halloween parade. The villains are out and the characters are dressed in Halloween costumes. But I would buy the tickets right away as the party will probably sell out. Have a blast!

    Siggy aka Jill

  7. #6

    If the price fits your budget, we think the Halloween Party is something you should try at least once (especially since you'll arrive on Halloween itself!). We love the party and have made it one of our October traditions. Bring a backpack or a large tote bag for all the candy! And have a great time!


  8. #7
    Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Blog Entries
    2

    I was going to be out there for business. Extended my dates on personal time, bought DW a plane ticket, and bought two tickets for the 28th. Why? Because we had a blast last October and also think its worth it.

    Maybe we'll see you there Shna, our costumes (if you can call them that) will be Disney Hockey jerseys. I'll be wearing Pluto and DW Mickey.

    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

  9. #8
    Registered User ogold72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Overland Park, KS

    Does anyone have a schedule of what happens during the event? I am planning on attending the 28 Oct party.

    Thanks!

    Heading to DLR for Halloween 23 Sept - 29 Sept 13!

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    I was going to be out there for business. Extended my dates on personal time, bought DW a plane ticket, and bought two tickets for the 28th. Why? Because we had a blast last October and also think its worth it.

    Maybe we'll see you there Shna, our costumes (if you can call them that) will be Disney Hockey jerseys. I'll be wearing Pluto and DW Mickey.
    We bought the tickets for 10/31 - yay!!!
    Hi-Ho

  11. #10
    Registered User goalieump413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a coffee fueled orbit up above
    Quote Originally Posted by ogold72 View Post
    Does anyone have a schedule of what happens during the event? I am planning on attending the 28 Oct party.

    Thanks!
    We were there last Friday night. If I recall, there's a PA announcement welcoming all the Trick or Treat Party guests and you start seeing all the carts of candy get hauled out and around the park around 6pm. The trick-or-treating comes first, with villian character meet-n-greet going on on the parade route behind fantasy land/Matterhorn. The parade started at around the time the hub was just about full for the Halloween Screams fireworks show. This timing on DL's part is a little iffy to me. If you want to see the parade, you won't get a good spot to watch Haloween Screams unless you line up on the right hand (eastern) side of the hub. The parade came south on Main Street and once the parade was over, I walked back to the hub for the fireworks, which by then was packed.

    That's about it. The trick-or-treating goes on throughout, and I'd work the back of the park to the front in that order. Hardly any lines at all in Critter Country, the Ranch, and Village Haus. New Orleans square/Frontierland were much busier with people, likely because of the line at HM.

  12. #11

    I attended the Trick or Treat Party on Tuesday of this week, and I have to admit that, even though I didn't like it much last year, that this year several things were even worse. On the other hand, some of the things I complained about from last year I found to be more enjoyable.

    The trick or treating this year didn't seem so big. Last year, I came home with over eighteen pounds of candy without having to reenter lines, and without having gone to all the trick or treat stations. This year, I think I ended up with about seven pounds of candy and healthy treats, total, after having been to all of the trick or treat statoins, some of them more than once. That said, I was not very pleased with the candy offerings this year. Last year, I got a lot of good candy, too. This year, I mostly got fricken tootsie rolls, which I don't think anybody looks forward to, in light of the other candy selections that Disney offers. I suppose I could have been like the person behind me in a few lines, asking only for Snickers, but I didn't want to be a pig.

    Last year, I wasn't very fond of the fireworks show, but also admitted that I didn't think I was in the best viewing area for it. This year, thanks to my fiance staking out a place for it three and a half hours early, I was right up front and center to see it, and I have to admit that I liked it a lot more.

    The parade was as stupid as it was last year: very repetative, and not very well thought out, I felt.

    The Trick or Treat Party on Tuesday was apparently sold out, which explains why it felt busier during the Trick or Treat hours than it had earlier in the day. That wasn't a big deal, honestly, but one of the things Disney advertises for the party is the chance to be at the park with fewer guests around.

    The photo opportunities were nice, though at several of the Character photo stations, there were no photopass photographers around to get really great shots. A few of them worked late the night before that at the Annual Pass party, however, and may have had the day off or something.

    There were lots of things to do in the park though. It wasn't just trick or treating, or watching (or if you were my fiance', waiting) for fireworks, or suffering through a lame parade. There were dacne sessions going on in Tomorrowland, and Frontierland. There was uh... lots of people watching if you're into checking out women who aren't dressed appropriately. There's also all the foods and junk available from restaurants and shops around the park.

    In the end, though I didn't like the Halloween Party last year, and thought that this year some of the things were even worse, I have to admit that I did have a good time this time around, and that it was almost worth the price of entry. If you're going to be down in the area, give it a shot, you'll probably have fun, if you get into the lines for treats early, know where you're going, and learn to get around the fricking strollers that are everywhere.


  13. #12
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by trypticon View Post
    Last year, I wasn't very fond of the fireworks show, but also admitted that I didn't think I was in the best viewing area for it. This year, thanks to my fiance staking out a place for it three and a half hours early, I was right up front and center to see it, and I have to admit that I liked it a lot more.
    So, she sat there from 530pm until 9?? We didn't go this year, but last year we were able to get a decent view 15 mins prior to the fireworks on a very busy night. But I am glad you liked the fireworks.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  14. #13

    Yes, she did sit there that long. Perhaps longer, now that I think about it. The benches right in front of the caslte were taken up within a short time of her sitting down, too, so she wasn't the only one staking out a space that early.


  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    So, she sat there from 530pm until 9?? We didn't go this year, but last year we were able to get a decent view 15 mins prior to the fireworks on a very busy night. But I am glad you liked the fireworks.
    Last year, the parties were much less crowded. We went twice last year, and on Halloween night (the only party that sold out last year) the wait for the fireworks was a bit tight in front of the castle, but not too bad elsewhere. This year, it seems like most of the parties are selling out, and people are camping in front of the castle for hours for the fireworks. We went on the 14th, and it reminded me of the RDCT fireworks for the 50th -- very large crowds pushing and camping out in the central space in front of the castle and around the hub. There was a fight for the bench next to us (a woman with a stroller cutting/forcing her way in front of a family that had been there for almost 2 hours -- with her husband as her accomplice). It got heated, but the woman insisted on blocking the other family's space. We never saw anything like that at last year's parties -- it just never seemed that crowded.

  16. #15
    Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by trypticon View Post
    and learn to get around the fricking strollers that are everywhere.
    First, it's a family friendly party geared towards kids, of course there will be strollers.
    Second, how is that different from any other day at Disneyland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    last year we were able to get a decent view 15 mins prior to the fireworks on a very busy night.
    We went last night and were able to get a very nice view in the hub about 5 minutes prior to show start.

    We attended the party last night and had a great time. The boys were all over the trick or treat trails and had a blast. We did one character meet line, rode HMH & Buzz, watched the first parade and the fireworks show and then were out of there by 10pm. Our guys are still little, so making it until 10:00 is a pretty big deal for them. We feel like we totally got our money's worth and we even left two hours before it was over.

    The lines for the rides were a bit long in the beginning, but that could be from day guests who decided to jump in line right before 7pm. The lines did seem to thin out as the night went on.

    I was happy to see that most people were dressed very appropriately for a family friendly environment and I didn't witness any major rudeness or any altercations. Everyone we encountered seemed to be having a great time.

    My only two disappointments were the parade, which I was not terribly impressed with and the fact that we saw several families not dressed up. I know it's not compulsory, but seeing little kids there in their street clothes just seemed a little unfestive to me. But, that's not a Disney issue.

    We got lots and lots of compliments on our family's costumes! We had a great time.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    First, it's a family friendly party geared towards kids, of course there will be strollers.
    Second, how is that different from any other day at Disneyland?


    We went last night and were able to get a very nice view in the hub about 5 minutes prior to show start.

    We attended the party last night and had a great time. The boys were all over the trick or treat trails and had a blast. We did one character meet line, rode HMH & Buzz, watched the first parade and the fireworks show and then were out of there by 10pm. Our guys are still little, so making it until 10:00 is a pretty big deal for them. We feel like we totally got our money's worth and we even left two hours before it was over.

    The lines for the rides were a bit long in the beginning, but that could be from day guests who decided to jump in line right before 7pm. The lines did seem to thin out as the night went on.

    I was happy to see that most people were dressed very appropriately for a family friendly environment and I didn't witness any major rudeness or any altercations. Everyone we encountered seemed to be having a great time.

    My only two disappointments were the parade, which I was not terribly impressed with and the fact that we saw several families not dressed up. I know it's not compulsory, but seeing little kids there in their street clothes just seemed a little unfestive to me. But, that's not a Disney issue.

    We got lots and lots of compliments on our family's costumes! We had a great time.
    Our little guy is so excited to wear his costume and trick or treat in the park! So how does that work? Do the "stores" give out the candy or are people just randonly stationed around the park?

    We will be there on Halloween night....so the event is 6pm-11pm, but I see we can get in 3 hours early. Which rides are "changed" for Halloween? Want to make sure we hit any that are different.

    Any other tips??? SO excited!!!
    Hi-Ho

  18. #17
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Ho View Post
    Our little guy is so excited to wear his costume and trick or treat in the park! So how does that work? Do the "stores" give out the candy or are people just randonly stationed around the park?

    We will be there on Halloween night....so the event is 6pm-11pm, but I see we can get in 3 hours early. Which rides are "changed" for Halloween? Want to make sure we hit any that are different.

    Any other tips??? SO excited!!!
    The 2 rides done up for Halloween are Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain - Ghostly Galaxy. I would not suggest Space Mountain - Ghostly Galaxy for a 4yo.

    They have "Trick or Treat" trails, where they hand out candy to everyone. They also have activities going on in various areas, like Rancho del Zoccolo and Tomorrowland Terrace and I believe BTM area. Maybe someone can post the flyer they pass out so you can see what happens.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    The 2 rides done up for Halloween are Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain - Ghostly Galaxy. I would not suggest Space Mountain - Ghostly Galaxy for a 4yo.

    They have "Trick or Treat" trails, where they hand out candy to everyone. They also have activities going on in various areas, like Rancho del Zoccolo and Tomorrowland Terrace and I believe BTM area. Maybe someone can post the flyer they pass out so you can see what happens.
    Thanks! We were there in May, and my son finally made the cut off for Space Mountain. He went on it quite a few times and loved it. So is it the ride you think would be too scary or what they do for Halloween that might scare him?
    Hi-Ho

  20. #19
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Ho View Post
    Thanks! We were there in May, and my son finally made the cut off for Space Mountain. He went on it quite a few times and loved it. So is it the ride you think would be too scary or what they do for Halloween that might scare him?
    The "ghost" they have in there is pretty intense. My daughter (now 25) rode it when it first opened to determine if our younger group (her cousins under age 8) should ride. (They were 9, 7, and 4.) It was determined to be "not appropriate" for our group. There have been several others here who have had similar experiences.

    You might check out this thread to get an idea if it might work for your child.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Ho View Post
    Thanks! We were there in May, and my son finally made the cut off for Space Mountain. He went on it quite a few times and loved it. So is it the ride you think would be too scary or what they do for Halloween that might scare him?
    Even though he meets the height requirement, Space may indeed be too scarey for him. You can have him watch it on YouTube to see how he reacts to it.
    I posted the link but it did not show up. Just go to You Tube and look up Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy.
    Siggy aka Jill

  22. #21
    Registered User Greymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Carson City, NV

    Are most of the rides open? I'm not going until next year and I'm seriously considering the Halloween party at the end of September. I'm already planning my costume. DH wants to do it too, but doesn't want to dress up.

    I don't really care about the trick or treating, but I would like to know about the rides.

    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    Walt Disney

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    First, it's a family friendly party geared towards kids, of course there will be strollers.
    Second, how is that different from any other day at Disneyland?

    It seems you've taken offense to my suggestion that people should learn to get around slow people with strollers. That gives me a hint that you probably use one there, and can't see why people would be frustrated by them. Let me clue you in a little bit on how it is for everyone else at the park who doesn't want to get in the way of the thousands waiting to get around you.

    I'll tell you flat out right now that unless your child is disabled, if they are over the age of three, there is no reason to have a stroller. There is no excuse for parents to be coddling children to the point that they are still wheeling them around in a stroller at age seven, eight, I swear I've seen some kids aged ten in a stroller there.

    There is no excuse for parents to be using a stroller when they have NO children at all with them. Believe me, it happens. I've followed people around who insist on getting in everyone's way with a stroller just to see where the heck their child is for long periods of time. I've followed them from one end of the park to the other and see them with NO children, just using the stroller as a carrier for their junk.

    There is no excuse for parents to be using their children in a stroller as a weapon of mass destruction to get their way, as if they were disabled. Sure, when you are stuck behind them, they will move as slowly as possible. The second you get in front of them though, it's a different story. Suddenly you have offended God by simply getting on with it.

    Some parents are of the mind that if they have a stroller, they can be considered a disabled family, and skip lines altogether. I saw several of those while waiting for the park to open just this past week, and every one of them were directed to the end of the line with the non disabled guests.

    This last week and a half at the park has demonstrated to me again that every stall, every stop, and every fight that breaks out at the park is likely tied to some dolt with a stroller who thinks that just because they have one, they are the center of the Disney universe. I get that every parent thinks that everybody else should adore their child, but that doesn't happen, and never will.

    My advice sticks: learn to get past strollers. You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by trypticon View Post
    It seems you've taken offense to my suggestion that people should learn to get around slow people with strollers. That gives me a hint that you probably use one there, and can't see why people would be frustrated by them. Let me clue you in a little bit on how it is for everyone else at the park who doesn't want to get in the way of the thousands waiting to get around you.

    I'll tell you flat out right now that unless your child is disabled, if they are over the age of three, there is no reason to have a stroller. There is no excuse for parents to be coddling children to the point that they are still wheeling them around in a stroller at age seven, eight, I swear I've seen some kids aged ten in a stroller there.

    There is no excuse for parents to be using a stroller when they have NO children at all with them. Believe me, it happens. I've followed people around who insist on getting in everyone's way with a stroller just to see where the heck their child is for long periods of time. I've followed them from one end of the park to the other and see them with NO children, just using the stroller as a carrier for their junk.

    There is no excuse for parents to be using their children in a stroller as a weapon of mass destruction to get their way, as if they were disabled. Sure, when you are stuck behind them, they will move as slowly as possible. The second you get in front of them though, it's a different story. Suddenly you have offended God by simply getting on with it.

    Some parents are of the mind that if they have a stroller, they can be considered a disabled family, and skip lines altogether. I saw several of those while waiting for the park to open just this past week, and every one of them were directed to the end of the line with the non disabled guests.

    This last week and a half at the park has demonstrated to me again that every stall, every stop, and every fight that breaks out at the park is likely tied to some dolt with a stroller who thinks that just because they have one, they are the center of the Disney universe. I get that every parent thinks that everybody else should adore their child, but that doesn't happen, and never will.

    My advice sticks: learn to get past strollers. You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration.
    Oh My! I suspect you will get alot of responses from the parents here. I highly suspect you are not a parent. I am not a parent, but I am disabled and use an ECV. I suggest you stop going to Disneyland until you have a child of your own, or get over yourself. Disneyland is for EVERYONE, and at what age a child is in a stroller is the parents prerogative. It's people like you with your sense of entitlement, what makes going to Disneyland unpleasant, not those with the strollers. Just deal with it. I think the best part of Disneyland as an adult is watching the kids enjoy themselves.

    And FYI-my BFF rented a stroller to carry her backpack, with her very good camera, because she has shoulder issues, and wanted to have the good camera with her. It was not something she could put in a locker. Stop judging people!
    Siggy aka Jill

  25. #24
    crazy 5K route
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    insignificant blue green planet
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by trypticon View Post
    I've followed them from one end of the park to the other and see them with NO children, just using the stroller as a carrier for their junk.
    Wow, you spend your day at Disneyland following random strangers around the park just to see what they do with their strollers? Seems like an odd way to spend your time. I can imagine why someone would think it's not worth the money doing that all day. When I go to Disneyland, I prefer to just have a good time, whether it's with my husband, with friends or even by myself.
    When all else fails, cut off their feet.
    Social media butterfly, yep, that's me.
    Listen babe. You don't know me. No, you don't know me, but you owe me. And I love you. Yes, I love you. Put your arms around me cause I love you.

  26. #25
    Registered User Greymouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Carson City, NV

    It's no fun avoiding strollers, but when my children were smaller, it wasn't much fun trying to navigate the crowds pushing a stroller, either. And the parks were never that crowded when my kids were little. (Oh to have those days back again )

    Have I seen parents using their strollers as a weapon? Yes but only on rare occasions. That is precious cargo in those strollers and only an unwise parent would want to risk their child's safety. I have seen many more people not paying attention to the strollers and causing problems, even me once or twice.

    I used strollers for both of mine until they were 4/5. Sorry, but they just didn't have the stamina to manuever the parks all day long at that age. And I don't think I was "coddling" them. If I didn't use a stroller, then someone would probably be complaining about my kids being cranky at the park.

    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    Walt Disney

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •