Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free wireless in-room internet starts today - 10/14.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Free wireless in-room internet starts today - 10/14.

Was looking at my tweets today and I think this is going to be a big one for many...
    According to this link, free in-room wireless internet is now available at certain resorts.

Its mainly the deluxe and conference resorts... not at the values or most of the moderates.

Not a bad change, if you ask me. But I still think I will leave my laptop at home. But great news for my iPod Touch.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Was looking at my tweets today and I think this is going to be a big one for many...
    According to this link, free in-room wireless internet is now available at certain resorts.

Its mainly the deluxe and conference resorts... not at the values or most of the moderates.

Not a bad change, if you ask me. But I still think I will leave my laptop at home. But great news for my iPod Touch.
    Did you just say "Free Wi-fi" and Disney in the same sentence?

Blog Entries

Yes... and I checked my calender to make sure that it was not April 1.

It seems like the original tweet is being RT'ed quite a bit.

ETA: From some feedback I got I have to agree that it would have been clearer to have said that the list of resort hotels included were mainly deluxe resorts and Coronado Springs. Other than CSR, the moderates and values are left out of this change.

Last edited by GusMan; 10-14-2011 at 01:40 PM.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries

Yay! I'm sure the whole world wants to here about my F&W experiences in real time!

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Yay! I'm sure the whole world wants to here about my F&W experiences in real time!
    Of course we do!

any word on the DVC resorts? I know we already get free internet but wi-fi would be nice!

Free wi fi

One of the most requested Walt Disney World Resort wishes is coming true from today. FREE Wireless "in-room" internet access will be available for the following resorts beginning today.

Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Disneys Beach Club Resort
    Disneys BoardWalk Resort
    Disneys Contemporary Resort
    Disneys Coronado Springs Resort
    Disneys Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
    Disneys Old Key West Resort
    Disneys Polynesian Resort
    Disneys Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
    Disneys Wilderness Lodge Resort
    Disneys Yacht Club Resort

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunFamily4 View Post
    any word on the DVC resorts? I know we already get free internet but wi-fi would be nice!
    The list included Saratoga Springs and OKW - they didn't call out the units associated with non-DVC resorts, but not sure they would identify those specifically in this list.

I'm wondering if they'll expand it to the rest of the Mods and the Values soon.
    Cathy

Nice find GusMan (although you have to wonder how much longer Disney was going to hold out on this issue).

When I was at POFQ early in September I actually read the new-looking phone information card in the room. The card said that Disney supported mobile internet - and I remember thinking (sarcastically) - they do?

So perhaps they have started at the top and are working their way down?

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Blog Entries

I think that the demand for it, with all the different hand held devices that are not actually compatible with a wired connection, somewhat influenced this change. (Though Im just speculating.)

Going off of what Drince mentioned, I have a feeling that for those resorts listed that are part hotel and part DVC Villas, I am going to bet that all the rooms have wifi.

I also predict that the mods and values will eventually get it... its just a matter of time.

Now, if they can only offer it at the parks (like in restaurants) so I dont have to get a new smartphone to use some cool Disney-related apps, that would be perfect.

Yeah!!!!!!!! That's just made my day and saved me $140. Happy dancing here

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Yeah, I must admit, this is REALLY good news. Looks like my laptop will finally be flying to Florida!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Quote Originally Posted by tdelaney_98 View Post
    Yeah, I must admit, this is REALLY good news. Looks like my laptop will finally be flying to Florida!
    Ours too! Big Thumbs up on this news!!!! Except ours will be driving and not flying.
    Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Complimentary Wi-Fi Tested
    Walt Disney World Resort has announced that it will be making complimentary wireless internet (Wi-Fi) service available in the rooms at a number of its hotels as of October 14. The hotels are: Animal Kingdom Lodge; Beach Club; BoardWalk; Contemporary; Coronado Springs; Grand Floridian Resort and Spa; Old Key West; Polynesian; Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa; Wilderness Lodge; and the Yacht Club. To connect to the network using a wireless-enabled device (e.g. laptop, cell phone, etc.), you'll notice a network option labeled "Guest - Access (unsecured)". When you click on that option, you will be taken to a screen that prompts you to accept the terms and conditions. After accepting the terms and conditions, you'll have complimentary Wi-Fi access. Note that for cell phone users, cellular carriers AT and T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS are covered for Wi-Fi access. Complimentary in-room wired internet will also be available at these resorts until Octobert 24. If the testing for complimentary Wi-Fi is successful, the free availability will continue in the future. This will not affect the status of Disney Vacation Club members, who currently receive complimentary Wi-Fi.
    allears reporting its only for 10 days but if successful it will continue. One has to assume it will be successful.

http://allears.net/acc/internet.htm

Blog Entries
    This will not affect the status of Disney Vacation Club members, who currently receive complimentary Wi-Fi.
    Interesting tid-bit... since as a DVC member I knew that we got free WIRED internet while staying on points, but there was never any in-room wireless access unless someone in a room near you hooked in a wireless router.

Or at least I should say, I never saw any open access points during my stays over the past few years.

Maybe they were talking about common areas, which I never tried.

Allears updated their info to now read the the WIRED internet is free until 10/24 but the wi fi is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz2001 View Post
    Allears updated their info to now read the the WIRED internet is free until 10/24 but the wi fi is permanent.
    :::insert dancing around the room with much joyous abandon smiley:::
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Blog Entries
    ::: GusMan joins in that happy dance :::
    I still probably wont bring my laptop often, but I do like to keep up with things via my iPod Touch.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Does anyone have any first-hand experience on how well the wi-fi works?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

Ill be finding out soon myself... Im sure Ill probably post here using it.

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Ill be finding out soon myself... Im sure Ill probably post here using it.
    Hey Gusman, if you think of it, when you are passing through resort lobbies/public areas where wi-fi is now enabled, could you check to see if you are able to access it there? This would be helpful info for any of us staying soon at resorts that don't (yet?) have wi-fi.

Many thanks.

Blog Entries

You got it... Have iPod Touch will travel. Ill see how many of the resorts I can hit to test things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Does anyone have any first-hand experience on how well the wi-fi works?
    I asked on the newsletter and got a couple of positive responses. The signal is also available in common areas.

Nice, this is great news.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Blog Entries

So... Im back... and here are some thoughts....
    I used my iPod touch during my trip and for the most part, the service was more than adequate. You do have to go to a web page to "agree" to the terms of service, but that was it. There were times where service seemed to drop for no apparent reason but going to the web page again to "agree" to the TOS seemed to get things back on track.

You do not need to be a resort guest to use the service. It did not require you to enter your name, e-mail, or other identifying information.

At OKW - did not have service away from the Villas. Tried to check mail at Olivia's without success. (Your mileage may vary at other resorts' common areas.)

I was able to stream from Netflix with good success as well. That can sometimes come in handy.

Overall, for what I think most people will use it for, it will work well and the price is right. Hoping that Disney makes this an option across all resorts.