Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Rental Deal

Car Rental Deal

I have a mini van booked for 10 days. I have a code and it came out to 641.00 with tax..this is a good deal? no?

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

2. # ADS

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Not sure--The prices for vans have gone up so much in past years. What I used to be able to get seems like it's nearly doubled. So on the surface, that sounds really expensive to me, but I'm not sure....

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For a mini-van? Yes, that is pretty good. I know it sounds like a lot compared to a mid-sized car, but MV's are generally more expensive to rent.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I suppose that's true. I didn't think about the premium for the minivan. Man, I'd def use Disney transport for that price--that's like 2 RT airfares!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With tax, an intermediate usually runs $100 for 2 days - so for 10 that'd be $500. $641 for a minivan doesn't seem that excessive. But it's probably not 'a steal'.

Cathy

We had a Minivan for a week in May and at one point, the cheapest we could get with a family rate was $350. I think the rack rate at the time was in the $600s. As we got closer to our trip I was able to double-stack coupons at National and scored a weekly rental for $225. Since we are part of National's Emerald Club we got to pick our own Minivan and were directed to one with the in-car entertainment system. I was in love. This was out of FLL which tends to have minivans a bit cheaper if I recall. I would agree that for 10 days the price is good, not great. As long as you didn't use priceline/hotwire car rentals tend to have liberal cancellation policies. I would periodically keep looking and if something better comes along cancel and rebook.

I rented one through Orbitz for Thrifty, full sized, 7 days for 266.60, that includes all fees, but not insurance since I can get an add on to my insurance for only 25.00. Hot wire has some good deals, but you have to pay for when you book it, but with my deal I pay when I get there.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Maybe that's why I was so surprised. It has been a while (2 yrs) but we got a car for a week for $199.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tdelaney_98 View Post
    I suppose that's true. I didn't think about the premium for the minivan. Man, I'd def use Disney transport for that price--that's like 2 RT airfares!
    Thats a good point. I know that some people like to use a rental but there comes a time where you have think about different alternatives such as getting a rental for only the days that you really need it. Sure, the price that Kathy was quoted was decent, but that is still a lot of coin. If I was able to cut that expense in 1/2 by only getting a car for the days Im going off-property, I would be able to take the rest and apply it to some special extras during the vacation.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dawz1026 View Post
    I have a mini van booked for 10 days. I have a code and it came out to 641.00 with tax..this is a good deal? no?
    When are you going? That can also impact the price of your rental.

Stephanie

I checked my records for our last WDW trip, which was in August, 2008 for 13 days, and we rented a minivan from Dollar for $245 a week. I have found that Dollar offers the best deals/discounts and I always try all of the different discount codes which are listed on the mousesavers.com website under Dollar (I make the reservation with the best price/discount but then check obsessively every day trying all of the codes up to the date of our departure, and have succeeded in getting what I consider a great price for a minivan - the year before, we paid $199 per week for the minivan through Dollar, again in August).

I would think it would greatly vary by dates, but your rates, nj, is round 'bout what I thought--

I am renting Dec 2-12 leaving NY driving to WDW. After reading these quotes I am going back to to the coupon boards lol

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Blog Entries

Well, you left out one small detail... you were not renting from the Orlando area. Renting from around your local area (or airport) may impact pricing and special offer availability. A lot of times, it becomes a supply/demand thing.

And being that I have rented vans locally for church trips and the like, the price is still in a "decent" ballpark, if you included all taxes and fees in the quoted price.

Blog Entries

Make sure, too, that there's not an additional fee for taking it out of state. I don't recall if it was standard with one agency we use for work (that our corporate contract waived), or if it was just something they noted on the rental agreement.

Cathy

Yes, in Orlando I was told that I had unlimited miles but that I couldn't take it out of the state. We rented a minivan from MN to IA, IL, IN, and KY and back (2500+ miles) and it was about $500, but that was for 17 days. (which, in hindsight was a great deal)

Also keep in mind that most (all) rental cars these days are equipped with GPS so the days of "what they don't know won't hurt them" are largely gone. I would not recommend taking a rental car across state lines unless the rental agreement explicitly allows you to do so.

Good point! Just to clarify when we did the multiple state rental, they knew we were going across several states...

I have searched and the price I got with the code for Budget is by far the lowest..I was quoted 1200 without tax on one..oh no way lol

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

notice how the 1200 doubled on my post? It does not look that way when I try to edit...weird

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

For my Nov. 5-14 trip I rented a full-size car today from Alamo (through Hotwire) for 10 days for less than $200 including all taxes and fees! Other sites were quoting $550 and up before taxes and fees!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    For my Nov. 5-14 trip I rented a full-size car today from Alamo (through Hotwire) for 10 days for less than $200 including all taxes and fees! Other sites were quoting $550 and up before taxes and fees!
    Yeah for Hotwire! I rent through Hotwire all the time now. We have two upcoming trips that are rented through that website. The price is unbeatable!!! Congrats! Have a GREAT time!!!

Stephanie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    For my Nov. 5-14 trip!
    Did you finally get talked into MouseAdventure?
    Cathy

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

no--some other friends I am going with are playing--

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Always keep checking the car rental sites. I checked today and was able to cut off $100 from 2 days ago, $200 from months ago. I use Alamo with codes from BJs and was able to get 2 weeks for a mid-size in Nov for $223.05 Lately it has been $200 for one week. I'm thrilled!