Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: old ride question [Adventures thru Inner Space]

old ride question [Adventures thru Inner Space]

i was trying to figure out the name of a ride.I remember when i went to disney when i was a kid 7/8. the only thing that sticks out in my mind was when you were in tommorow land and you were on the line waiting to get in you could see the people loading into the cars (those like HM buggy) then you would go into a tunnel or machine and it would shrink you down to the size of couple inches. dose anybody remember the name of it?

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like Adventures through Inner Space. I know they had it at Disneyland, but I didn't think it was ever at WDW. (But I could be wrong on that.)

Cathy

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

I couldn't find anything either about ATIS in Orlando. Remember too, MK opened in 1971. We had put a man on the moon. Perhaps the TL approach at DL in 1955 would seem out of date 15 years later in Orlando.

Adventure Thru Inner Space was only in Disneyland from 1967-1985. Star Tours is located in its place now.

Quote Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
    i was trying to figure out the name of a ride.I remember when i went to disney when i was a kid 7/8. the only thing that sticks out in my mind was when you were in tommorow land and you were on the line waiting to get in you could see the people loading into the cars (those like HM buggy) then you would go into a tunnel or machine and it would shrink you down to the size of couple inches. dose anybody remember the name of it?
    You sure you're not thinking of "If You Had Wings"? It was a continuously moving ride and you go through a tunnel to begin the journey; along the way you see images of far off places projected on a variety of types of screens, and then at one point you go through a big room where the walls and ceileing are the screen, and you feel like you're flying; it was a great ride; wish they still had it. But as far as being shrunken at WDW, I don't think they've ever had a ride/attraction like that.
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Grim Grinning Ghost PhineasTheGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You didn't say what park, just Disney.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    You sure you're not thinking of "If You Had Wings"? It was a continuously moving ride and you go through a tunnel to begin the journey; along the way you see images of far off places projected on a variety of types of screens, and then at one point you go through a big room where the walls and ceileing are the screen, and you feel like you're flying; it was a great ride; wish they still had it. But as far as being shrunken at WDW, I don't think they've ever had a ride/attraction like that.
    Here's some info from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You_Had_Wings

Same ride system, but no 'shrinking effects' the OP mentioned. Which the big telescope in the ATIS queue is known for.... "Am I really going to shrink daddy?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhineasTheGhost View Post
    You didn't say what park, just Disney.
    The OP said "Tomorrowland" and they posted in the WDW forums. Kind of limits it down to the MK in Florida.

You were shrunk down in size for Body Wars, but that wasn't an Omnimover, nor was it in Tomorrowland, so I doubt that's what the OP was referring to.
    Cathy

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm completely puzzled on this one. About what year was this?

Looking forward to the answer. It wasn't the one when Robin Williams did Mr. Tomorrow in the Timekeeper? I sadly never got to see that.

Stephanie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    Looking forward to the answer. It wasn't the one when Robin Williams did Mr. Tomorrow in the Timekeeper? I sadly never got to see that.
    No. That was a circle-vision movie, based on time travel.
    Cathy

Blog Entries

I didn't think so at all. I watched The Timekeeper on YouTube a few times. Wish I'd seen it for real in person.

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
    ...you were in tommorow land and you were on the line waiting to get in you could see the people loading into the cars (those like HM buggy) then you would go into a tunnel or machine and it would shrink you down to the size of couple inches.
    There is only one attraction that fits this description - Adventure Through Inner Space in DisneyLAND's Tomorrowland.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    There is only one attraction that fits this description - Adventure Through Inner Space in DisneyLAND's Tomorrowland.
    mlyons,

Try going on YouTube and see if you can find the video of the ride. See if it looks familiar.

Stephanie

Yeah, I don't ever remember anything like this at WDW.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Yes that was it, it was in disneyland , i have been to disneyworld 15/16 times, and to disneyland once when i was 7/8. i don't know why that ride stands out so much in my memory. I went on youtube and saw it there inner space. thanks it was driving me crazy

"If You Had Wings" used an omnimover system, but there was no shrinking down. It was sponsored by Eastern Airlines.

BTW, there is an incredible dvd virtual ride thru of Adventures Thru Innerspace. You can see a preview of it here:
    http://www.themightymicroscope.com/dvd_puchase.htm

That ride used to freak me out as a small kid! I used to really think I would shrink, hated going on it for quite some time!! Now I laugh that I actually thought that. Loved Haunted Mansion as a kid but hated Inner Space, go figure!

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to ride this over and over due to it was one of the freebie rides they had.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    I used to really think I would shrink, hated going on it for quite some time!!
    On my first few trips I really bought into the illusion. I didn't think we were shrinking, but I did think that the vehicles in the Mighty Microscope were actually real vehicles and real people, somehow visually shrunk down. It wasn't till I rode the Peoplemover and really looked at it closely that I figgered out that those were models and not really people. Disappointing!!!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Okay, I'm showing my age in this comment, but does anyone remember when they went to Grad Nite at DLR, this ride would always be closed?
    ( because it was a dark ride, and you never know what might happen in the dark.....lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty's mom View Post
    Okay, I'm showing my age in this comment, but does anyone remember when they went to Grad Nite at DLR, this ride would always be closed?
    ( because it was a dark ride, and you never know what might happen in the dark.....lol)
    I thought it was because they would thrown stuff at the "eye" at the end of the microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty's mom View Post
    It was open in 1976 for Grad Night.

Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    It was open in 1976 for Grad Night.
    Closed Grad night 1975. , weird huh?

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It used to be known as the make-out ride.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."