Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fall closures worse than usual?

Fall closures worse than usual?

Hi there! I am a super long time lurker! Just was looking at the refurb/overlay schedule for fall and it seems to be a bit more than usual? Or is it just that it is all the same area? I am super bummed because we are doing a surprise 30th birthday for my husband on the 10th and his 2 favorite rides- pirates and haunted- will be down. I am even more sad about Space Mountain because it would have been the first time I could go since being pregnant with my now 10 mo old twins...

Just seems poor timing to do the pirates refurbishment while doing the holiday overlays... sad face...

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IheartSmee View Post
    Hi there! I am a super long time lurker! Just was looking at the refurb/overlay schedule for fall and it seems to be a bit more than usual? Or is it just that it is all the same area? I am super bummed because we are doing a surprise 30th birthday for my husband on the 10th and his 2 favorite rides- pirates and haunted- will be down. I am even more sad about Space Mountain because it would have been the first time I could go since being pregnant with my now 10 mo old twins...
    Space and Haunted Mansion are usually down in Sept for the overlays. Sorry about Pirates, but hey, Matterhorn is up!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

We debated going that time also and were very bummed to see that both Haunted and Pirates were down. I think we are going to try the end of the month instead. It does seem to be poor timing to have those two down at the same time. It would be very strange to walk around that area with both closed. A lot of faces I bet.

Thank goodness we moved back to LA from Phoenix or I think I would cancel completely. I would do DCA instead, but it is total chaos over there right now. I figured Haunted would be down... but man...

Pirates is down for an actual closer for maintanance. Haunted and Space are down for a short break to add the holiday elements. If you came a week later they'd be up. I know you said it was for a birthday though.

Blog Entries

Here's a question, "Would it be preferred Disneyland not do Holiday overlays?". Currently HM, SM, and iasw all are brought down from a few days to a few weeks to do the overlays (then the time needed to do the uninstalls). WDW MK doesn't install overlays at all because people come from great distances with the expectation that the big attractions are all available as much as possible. How much do the overlays add to the park vs. the time needed install/uninstall them?

Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time.

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

105000 page views and counting

Quote Originally Posted by dban3 View Post
    Here's a question, "Would it be preferred Disneyland not do Holiday overlays?". Currently HM, SM, and iasw all are brought down from a few days to a few weeks to do the overlays (then the time needed to do the uninstalls). WDW MK doesn't install overlays at all because people come from great distances with the expectation that the big attractions are all available as much as possible. How much do the overlays add to the park vs. the time needed install/uninstall them?
    Personally, I love the Small World overlay, and the HM overlay can be a nice break from the norm. Now I haven't ridden Space Mountain with the overlay, but I can't imagine that one adds much to the ride unless it's like a COMPLETE overhaul. It does suck when the rides are down to install/remove the overlays, that's for sure. But the way I see it, the rides go down for refurbishments quite often anyway. If they can combine the two opportunities, what's there to lose? This fall just seems like a matter of horrible timing, but normally they do a decent job with timing the closures so that at most, there's only one or two days of overlap on major attractions being down. Here's another question: Does Disney have people working 24/7 on installing the overlays or do they only work overnight or a select portion of the day?

I agree that the Space Mountain one doesn't really add that much to the ride, for me. It's nice while you're in there, but not nearly as memorable as the HM overlay.

As someone whose favorite ride is POTC, but who comes only once a year (or so) for Halloween... I'm pretty bummed about the Fall closure timing.

From reading all of these threads I have gleaned that no the closures aren't worse than usual in shear numbers but POTC seems to be deal breakers for most people making it arguably one of THE most popular rides at DLR. For me not so much. Yes, indeed it is one of my faves but HM beats it big time. As a once a year minimum visitor I don't mind something being down as it gives me more time to explore new things or more time to relax by the pool etc. and then when I return to DLR it makes it oh so special. Going on iasw after the year closure was so cool. Every last detail was perfect and there was new stuff so it was the feeling of riding something new. My humble opinions and keep in mind....I am a bit mad....

What bothers me about the Space mountain overlay is.....
    (SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED GHOST GALAXY!!!!)

they seem to leave the setup up the whole year (the projection screens minus the ghost images of course). So whenever I ride Space Mountain now, I always notice the spots where the ghost comes out.
    It kind of bothers me.
    Last edited by Drince88; 09-02-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags to identified spoiler

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dban3 View Post
    This is a loaded question. For me, I absolutely enjoy the holiday overlays. But, I also go twice a month. It didn't occur to me the effect it could have on a guest until a trip with my sister in April. We rode HM on our first day and she mentioned that it was the first time she had seen HM without the overlay in almost 10 years! She usually makes a holiday trip with us (DH, our boys and I) during Oct/Nov/Dec once a year. It hadn't occurred to me that she hadn't seen the original HM in so long. Before we got our passes five years ago she hadn't been to the parks since 2001 or 2002. So, I don't know, I suppose if I were in her shoes I might think differently of the overlay.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Personally, I could do without the overlays, but I wish they would do them say, every other year or perhaps take turns, this Christmas IASW, next Christmas HM and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Personally, I could do without the overlays, but I wish they would do them say, every other year or perhaps take turns, this Christmas IASW, next Christmas HM and so on.
    That's a really good idea. I never even thought about that. That would also let them do more rides as well, as they don't have to worry about down time (as much). I mean, I think they are at their limit with SM, HM and IASW going down all within a few months for overlays plus necessary refurbishment closures. If they try doing overlays on any more rides, I think it will take too much down and cause too many problems. If they only have to worry about one ride being down each year for overlays, they could expand on which rides are in the rotation. Of course, I think it should actually make the ride better and not just be there to be there (imagine pirates pillaging a town with pumpkins for heads and/or wearing Santa Hats...ha).

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    From reading all of these threads I have gleaned that no the closures aren't worse than usual in shear numbers but POTC seems to be deal breakers for most people making it arguably one of THE most popular rides at DLR. For me not so much. Yes, indeed it is one of my faves but HM beats it big time. As a once a year minimum visitor I don't mind something being down as it gives me more time to explore new things or more time to relax by the pool etc. and then when I return to DLR it makes it oh so special. Going on iasw after the year closure was so cool. Every last detail was perfect and there was new stuff so it was the feeling of riding something new. My humble opinions and keep in mind....I am a bit mad....
    We changed our dates so that we could go on Pirates this year. It will be three years since we've been to Disneyland when we go this December and will probably be another two or three after. Career changes, buying a house and things have made it so we can't go once or twice a year anymore. It does make me appreciate the parks so much more though and I am more excited for this trip than usual. If we still went once a year Pirates being down wouldn't have mattered as much, (it still would have bummed me out).

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    This is a loaded question. For me, I absolutely enjoy the holiday overlays. But, I also go twice a month. It didn't occur to me the effect it could have on a guest until a trip with my sister in April. We rode HM on our first day and she mentioned that it was the first time she had seen HM without the overlay in almost 10 years! She usually makes a holiday trip with us (DH, our boys and I) during Oct/Nov/Dec once a year. It hadn't occurred to me that she hadn't seen the original HM in so long. Before we got our passes five years ago she hadn't been to the parks since 2001 or 2002. So, I don't know, I suppose if I were in her shoes I might think differently of the overlay.
    I do not like the Mansion overlay during the holidays because I don't like the movie (plus I think it's sort of cheesy, imho). We almost always plan our trips for the first week of December or in the fall so I have only been able to ride "normal" HM once in the last 6 years. I LOVE HM when it is just the original ride. We only ride it once when we go during the holidays just to make sure we still don't like it. It wouldn't bother me at all if they only did the overlay every other year on that ride. I know lots and lots of others like it though and it's not a dealbreaker for me if the overlay is up.
    "It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

I was just on DLR website because we had to change our dates (again) to next week. It shows that Haunted and pirates are closed but space is open, next week. I know space is usually closed the same time as haunted.....not sure maybe they just made an error in not listing it on closures.

The calendar also shows that Disneyland will be closing at 6 p.m. on Thursday Sept. 8th does anyone know why? It's strange that on Wed. they are open till 8 pm but Thursday only till 6 p.m.???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinker3 View Post

The calendar also shows that Disneyland will be closing at 6 p.m. on Thursday Sept. 8th does anyone know why? It's strange that on Wed. they are open till 8 pm but Thursday only till 6 p.m.???
    Private party. Heard something about a scavenger hunt.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

It would be nice if they changed it! I was hoping the POTC closure may get pushed back a wk. I used to work for the company that does the oversight for refurbs and recalled it happens a lot. But at least space being open is better! Gonna be a day of ride switching with the twins!

Disneyland is closing at 6pm on 11 Oct as well. Kinda bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slufferk View Post
    Disneyland is closing at 6pm on 11 Oct as well. Kinda bummed.
    That is a Tuesday, so they close early for the Halloween Party. California Adventure will be open.
    Siggy aka Jill

Quote Originally Posted by IheartSmee View Post
    It would be nice if they changed it! I was hoping the POTC closure may get pushed back a wk. I used to work for the company that does the oversight for refurbs and recalled it happens a lot. But at least space being open is better! Gonna be a day of ride switching with the twins!
    I'm hoping that they will soft open it a couple days early like they did with the Matterhorn as we will tentatively be making a big extended family trip that ends the day before POTC is scheduled to re-open. Since it is probably the last time DH's parents will visit the park, it would be nice for one of their faves to be running.
    -- Cindy

This is actually a complex topic. There is a loud group that prefers Disneyland keep their rides as original as possible. This position, as are others, is legitimate, especially for classic rides that Walt was involved in designing, and most especially those that have classic "stories" or characters. On the other hand, people like me like when things are changed up a bit, especially due to technological advancements, as well as, since I go there at least 1 or 2 times per month, to make repeat visits more interesting (something dear to Walt's heart, from what I understand).

For many rides, no one even brings it up. Midway Mania had new characters installed after Toy Story 3, and no one really complained. In fact, the ride is conducive to being updated or changed regularly, and I think most would agree that that is good. The biggest thing is that the changes are not drastic or invasive.

On top of not being very invasive, I think it works also if a) the overlay is good and b) it's short-lived. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy lasts only 4-6 weeks, most people REALLY like the overlay, and it's not a drastic change of the ride.

One ride where it lasts a long time (almost 1/3 of the year), is highly invasive, and "good" is questionable is the Mansion overlay. First, it's obvious that the Mansion overlay is a boon for Disneyland. It's the most crowded you'll see the line for the Mansion, and they even use the FastPass system for it. Second, though, is that there are more vocal opponents of this than anything else.

Because I go year-round, it doesn't matter much to me. It does kind of break up the monotony, so to speak, though that is a harsh word, of riding it year-round for years. For others, though, it might take up too much of the year. One of the examples given here is that it's the only incarnation of the ride many see, since they only come at Christmas. Is that Disneyland's fault? I would argue that it is not. The biggest problem is that, unlike Ghost Galaxy, Nightmare is a Christmas/Halloween hybrid theme that only makes sense if it lasts that long. Instead of overlaying a ride for 10% of the year, it must overlay for almost 1/3 of it which is too much for many people. So, what to do?

I have always thought that Disney's best option would be either to a) build a Nightmare Before Christmas ride, or b) use Nightmare as an overarching theme for its Halloween and Christmas celebrations. This would give them the freedom to find different ways to sprinkle Nightmare in, and some of the time that could include the Mansion. If the theme is that Jack and everyone has taken over the park, they could do so much more with that and not have to overlay the mansion in an invasive manner for such a significant part of the year. They could, as suggested above, do it to the Mansion every other year, or every few years, and in the odd years find ways to sprinkle it in elsewhere.

IMO, I think updates/changes are good. Ghost Galaxy is a great example of a good, short, seasonal overlay that is not to invasive to a ride and adds a fun touch that keeps things interesting. Mansion/Nightmare is an example of something that a LOT of people like, but perhaps does TOO much to please a majority of Disney visitors. I would like to see changes in the form of improvements to rides. Wouldn't better animatronics make the Matterhorn that much better? What about Jungle Cruise changes? Whatever we may think about the Little Mermaid, it's better than Pinnochio. Wouldn't the Fantasyland rides get better with improved technology and animations? Just the minor changes on Snow White made a big quality difference.

Maybe Disney should find a way to sprinkle changes and themes in a less ride-invasive way and a more park-focused way.

I like the Mermaid ride for what it is. I mean it's not an E-ticket, but it is a nice ride. The ending is weird, but I think ALL of the dark rides have issues with the storylines. I mean they only have so much time and space.

I think it would be nice to see some more "technology" sprinkled around, so long as they don't get rid of things. I noticed in Alice that there are some projections that didn't used to be there. What could they do to spruce up Mr. Toad? Something, surely!

Of course, right now, the focus has been on DCA. The announcement from D23 is that DL is getting a Fantasyland update. Everyone is focusing on the Princess Faire moving, but it sounded like there might be more. I know it won't be like the large update at WDW, but I imagine they have more in store than just a new Princess meet and greet. I mean, if that was all, then they could have just said the Princess Fantasy Faire will be moving to a new, permanent location.

Visited the park today(Sept 6th) and was very sad to see POTC was already closed for refurb, I planned to go today to get one last ride before it closes for 2+ months as I thought it was scheduled to close Sept. 7th. although it wasn't really that crowded today, closure of POTC, HM, and CA Screamin, as well as seemingly constant closures throughout the day from numerous rides (BTM, Monsters Inc, Indy, Space M, Splash M are the ones I noticed...) made lines seem much longer than they should have been today. That being said, I still got to ride pretty much everything I wanted at least once, and didn't wait more than 30 min. for anything. I have an AP so I tend to not stay all day anyway once I get fed up with crowds/ride closures/lines.

Not that I want any more refurb closures right now, but I rode Small World today and it looks like it could use some love. Lots of chipped paint and small little things that were broken(for example canoe in scene when you first enter building isn't moving back and forth anymore, and one side of it is cracked), and the doors on the clock tower where the characters re-enter seem to be stuck open on both sides(unless they are always like that and I never noticed). It's probably just me being anal and I'm sure the majority of people don't notice these things, but it seemed a bit unDisney-ish to me. I guess I expect a lot lol...

~savvy

i got to experience the HM and IASW overlays for the first time last year and i LOVE them! i think they're so visually interesting and a break from the norm...then again i go to DL several times a year so...yeah

also OT but how is the ending to the little mermaid ride weird? i rode it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was trying to figure out what people were talking about when they said the end of the ride was awkward/weird

Quote Originally Posted by savvyshadow View Post
    Visited the park today(Sept 6th) and was very sad to see POTC was already closed for refurb,
    ~savvy
    Psst, assuming you mean today today as you post is dated today, It IS the 7th. Not the 6th, that was yesterday (I had to pay my rent)