Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasmic Question

Fantasmic Question

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get into Fantasmic? We will be at WDW in early June. I've heard stories of people not getting in. DS (8) really wants to see this show. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The best bet, without opting for a F! Dining Package, is to be in line no less than an hour before the show. (Maybe even a bit before.) The line may seem to be long but the theater is very large.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

As a fellow Californian, I might caution you to maybe prepare your son for Fantasmic! If you are regulars to DLR, the DHS version is quite different (and inferior IMO). While it's nice to have a seat (albeit a hard bleacher seat), the show is not nearly as good as the original. No Columbia, the cardboard cut-out appearance of the 'Mark Twain', and the Pocahontas storyline as opposed to Peter Pan just combine to make it...blah.

I know the East Coasters will not appreciate my view as they really do seem to love that version (we are entitled to our own opinions), but those who have seen and love the DLR version will certainly understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LacyBelle View Post
    As a fellow Californian, I might caution you to maybe prepare your son for Fantasmic! If you are regulars to DLR, the DHS version is quite different (and inferior IMO). While it's nice to have a seat (albeit a hard bleacher seat), the show is not nearly as good as the original. No Columbia, the cardboard cut-out appearance of the 'Mark Twain', and the Pocahontas storyline as opposed to Peter Pan just combine to make it...blah.

I know the East Coasters will not appreciate my view as they really do seem to love that version (we are entitled to our own opinions), but those who have seen and love the DLR version will certainly understand.
    I could not agree more. I love the DL version; it's so nice to sit by the water and wait for the show to start. It's not nearly as claustrophobic as the WDW version. I don't even bother with the latter any longer. I'll wait until next year for both Fantasmic and the World of Color!
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting, Pete, because I view the DL version as more claustrophobic. Maybe it's more agoraphobic (I think that's right - aversion to crowds is what I mean) I don't have to worry about people being all around me and crowding me when I'm at WDW, just the people on each side of me. (Actually, if I really want to see it at DL, I spring for dessert seats - spendy, but it makes the crowds handleable for me.)

But as far as the show itself - I doubt there are many who have seen both versions who would say that the show at WDW was better than at DL if they take out the viewing situation. If you've never seen it at DL, then WDW is pretty cool.

ETA: And to the OP - since you are going at a busier time, I'd ask a CM near there when you should start lining up if you want to be assured of getting a seat.

Cathy

Thanks so much for letting me know this! We have never seen WDW's version of the show. My son adored the DL version, and I know I'm geeking out here, but he quotes from it. Seeing Fantasmic is on his bucket list for our trip. I will let him know of the differences though. Thanks again

Thanks Gusman. That's good to know. I was worried that it would be something crazy like 2 hours ahead of time. I think I can deal with an hour

we love the wdw version but haven't seen the dl fantasmic to compare it to. either way using the fantasmic dining package, which uses 3 restaurants and also allows for lunch dining, to get the "reserved" seat is really a good deal. i believe that almost anything that reduces or eliminates any line while on vacation is worth the price. you have to eat anyway, so even why not get a reserved seat out of it?

... the cardboard cut-out appearance of the 'Mark Twain'...
    Lacy, I completely agree with your overall assessment - DL's version is far superior. But it should be noted that the boat in the WDW version isn't a smaller version of the Mark Twain. It's actually the boat from the early Mickey cartoon Steamboat Willie. They did a good job reproducing it, but it just doesn't have the magic of the Mark Twain, does it?
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Interesting, Pete, because I view the DL version as more claustrophobic. Maybe it's more agoraphobic (I think that's right - aversion to crowds is what I mean) I don't have to worry about people being all around me and crowding me when I'm at WDW, just the people on each side of me. (Actually, if I really want to see it at DL, I spring for dessert seats - spendy, but it makes the crowds handleable for me.)

But as far as the show itself - I doubt there are many who have seen both versions who would say that the show at WDW was better than at DL if they take out the viewing situation. If you've never seen it at DL, then WDW is pretty cool.

ETA: And to the OP - since you are going at a busier time, I'd ask a CM near there when you should start lining up if you want to be assured of getting a seat.
    I can understand that completely. I think I mean claustrophobic more in terms of the exit, how at WDW you have all those people trying to exit out of one or two (at least it seems that few) small exits. But you're right, there is definitely a crush of people at DL.
    1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by drewtime View Post
    Thanks so much for letting me know this! We have never seen WDW's version of the show. My son adored the DL version, and I know I'm geeking out here, but he quotes from it. Seeing Fantasmic is on his bucket list for our trip. I will let him know of the differences though. Thanks again
    You can watch it on YouTube if you want to see if it's worth the wait.

Although WDW Fantasmic is not as good as DL, it is still very much worth seeing! We have seen it so many times that we don't always put it on our to do lists... but ever other trip we will usually go..
    If you can catch on a Wednesday night.. you might have less of a crowd.

I go to WDW all the time and DL just once a year. I've seen both versions of F and DL wins hands down. I am particularly jealous of DL's Murphy. It's very disappointing to see our "lizard on a stick". I think the best thing to do is look at a video and judge it for yourself.
    I do have to admit that I like our stadium seating better than the blanket world created by people saving seating areas for their families. But then I DO understand why you have to find some place to sit and you really don't want to miss such a wonderful show.
    GnP

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't forget that there is value in making decisions for yourselves based on the actual performance. You tube is good for an overview -- but I don't think it EVER gives a show a fair shake.

Your son might come out of the WDW show with a new appreciation for the DL version, he might appreciate it in it's own right just because it's different, but I doubt at 8 he'd say it was a complete waste of time. (He might say he wish he'd spent the time on RnR instead, though )

Just remember that the overall experience in WDW is different than at DL - so don't go expecting the same experience!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Lacy, I completely agree with your overall assessment - DL's version is far superior. But it should be noted that the boat in the WDW version isn't a smaller version of the Mark Twain. It's actually the boat from the early Mickey cartoon Steamboat Willie. They did a good job reproducing it, but it just doesn't have the magic of the Mark Twain, does it?
    Aaaah. Thanks, Dan, for reminding me. It's been several years since we caught the DHS version of F! (skipping the show entirely the last couple of visits) that I'd forgotten that the boat is the one from Steamboat Willie. I just remembered it being so unimpressive compared to the Twain, but can recall it now that you mentioned it. This forgetting stuff as we get older is for the birds.

I just remembered it being so unimpressive compared to the Twain...
    I remember the first time I saw it, after seeing DL's show for many years, my jaw dropped - I just couldn't believe that they would put something so lame into a show. Compared to the mighty Mark Twain, that little boat was ludicrous!

This forgetting stuff as we get older is for the birds.
    Something I fight with every passing day . . .
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Great suggestion! I'll check it out.

Blog Entries

I agree with Drince about checking with a CM about wait times; either that or catching up with someone's report of a real life experience very close to your trip, or both.

I'm sure everyone's experience is different but OH My Goodness what a disappointment the WDW version was to us. Waiting in early May heat we weren't accustomed didn't help (we had the dining package but there was still a wait).

I would have left before the end if my husband had gone with me. And he's very happy never to see it again now that he's been. (He really thought those bleachers would be game changers. Turns out he's just fine with paying for seats at DL now and again!)

I wouldn't deny it to a kid, of course, but I'd sure have to gird my loins before watching it again.

We really liked the rest of DHS and I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what. Tower of Terror--now that we DID find far superior to our version! Don't know that every eight-year old would love it, though.

Enjoy your visit!

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but since I visit both resorts frequently I'm glad both Fantasmic shows AREN'T identical!

I really appreciate everyone's perspective on the show. We went with the dinner package. Does anyone know if that involves seats closer to the stage? Or will we have the general admission seats?

DS is stoked about seeing the show! He has been watching it on youtube before he goes to bed, and he can't wait.

Carolinakid, I'm happy as well that the shows are different. It will give us a fresh view of the show.

Benette, Thanks for your kind words. I'm sorry that the show was a disappointment. But, your comment about "girding the loins" cracked me up!

The dining package seating is an entire "wedge" of the ampi-theater. So you have general admission in a reserved section of the theater. They suggest you head in 45-30 minutes before the show; which is reasonable. Which restaurant did you pick?

I hope you enjoy everything.

The seats are to the far right as you look at the show. They are not the best but you can sit anywhere is others are free when you arrive.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    They are not the best but you can sit anywhere is others are free when you arrive.
    You wanna try this sentence again, scoob?
    - James Taylor

Ourtrip, thanks for your kind words. We chose Mama Melrose's for lunch. DS8 is so excited. He's checked out the menu already, and has made his choices. Ah to be 8 years old again.

Scoobydooby, Hey, I understood your post lol Dan. I'm sure that we'll enjoy where we sit. I still think it's cool that there are seats for Fantasmic at WDW.

I'll echo what everyone else says. Show up at the entrance an hour before and you should be more than fine. It's going to take fifteen minutes or so just to make your way up to the amphitheater and get a seat so you're really just sitting around for forty minutes. And they started providing pre-show entertainment again so your kids shouldn't get too bored waiting for the show to start.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I'll save you the half hour. It is.