Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Two dates to choose from!

Help! Two dates to choose from!

Our family has decided to go back to DisneyWorld this year....YAY ME!! Okay, so we have to dates to choose from and are stuck on which week to choose. These are our options, October 5th-12th or December 15th-
    21st? What are the crowds like the week before Christmas?

“Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.”
    ― Walt Disney Company

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I would go in October... weather is great and the crowds are good too. Last years October trip was super crowd-wise. As you get closer to Christmas, it gets more hectic, but even the days you listed should not be insane - yet.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

It all depends on what holiday you enjoy the most in my opinion. We went this last December (16-26) and there were crowds HOWEVER, I didn't think they got "crazy" until right up to Christmas. We had a wonderful trip and really loved the decorations. We are Disneyland veterans so the crowds at WDW were mild to what we are used to in California. I think the dates you said would be fine for you. We will actually be there this year too from December 20 thru the 26th. I expect the crowds to be pretty crazy.

I have friends that went in Oct too and had a wonderful time especially if Food and Wine is going on. Tough choice, but like I said it depends (IMHO) on which holiday you prefer.

October. Good weather, lower crowds. I will get in bother for this, but personally I think the feedback about the Christmas decorations is overstated. Yes they are lovely even spectacular in part, but not, to my mind, worth colder weather and higher crowds as compared to October. You'll have Halloween decorations then anyway.

I've done the week before Christmas and with those dates you will catch the start of busy but insane will not yet have arrived.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    October. Good weather, lower crowds. I will get in bother for this, but personally I think the feedback about the Christmas decorations is overstated. Yes they are lovely even spectacular in part, but not, to my mind, worth colder weather and higher crowds as compared to October. You'll have Halloween decorations then anyway.

I've done the week before Christmas and with those dates you will catch the start of busy but insane will not yet have arrived.
    I'm with you Scooby. We've been in October multiple times and it is our favorite time of year. The weather is much better than in December. We went in December once (early December, when crowds were low) because I really wanted the kids to see the Christmas decorations while they were still young enough to appreciate them. I was underwhelmed, maybe because Disney is so magical anyway that Christmas decorations just didn't add much for me. And the kids barely noticed them. Even though the crowds were very low, I doubt we'd go that time of year again. Among other things, it's a very inconvenient time of year to take a vacation. I didn't enjoy getting back from vacation and immediately getting stressed out by Christmas preparations.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

we've done both times of year and i have to say we love both. our first WDW trip was two years ago dec 16-21, 2010. it didn't seem to get to crowded until the day we left. But we to are used to DL crowds and it really seems like WDW crowds are not as bad or there is just more space for people to spread out. the weather was freezing but we had a great time. we went back this past Dec from the 21-26. the weather was beautiful, we were in shorts and t-shirts the whole time. again, we didnt' feel like the crowds were too bad. Even on Christmas day at the MK, it never felt overwhelming, IMHO.

We also went down Oct 6-12 this past year the F&W festival was amazing, we did MNSSHP and had a great time. the weather was warm but we did have quite a bit of rain. I guess it depends on what you want to do. the Christmas decor is amazing and we love being there for the holidays (we will be there this year too from Dec 20-27) F&W is great but our kids didn't enjoying eating around the world as much as we did (they are 8&11). The Christmas and Halloween parties are alot of fun, they are expensive. I"m glad we've done them but it's not something i'd do every year. Now the Candlelight processional is definitely something i'd do every year. I dont think you can go wrong with what ever date you choose.

If I had to choose, I would pick October in a heartbeat. Great weather, and I love the Halloween decorations and the MNSSHP. And Food & Wine. Yep.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

We have been 3 times in October since my daughters get a fall break and we LOVE it at that time of the year. I have always wanted to go during Christmas to see the candlelight processional and just to experience it in December. The weather in the south is so unpredictible in the winter ( I live in South Louisiana) and I am not sure how much I will enjoy coming back and jumping right into Christmas!!! Decisions, decisions.....what to do????

― Walt Disney Company

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another vote for October!

Your dates are close to Christmas break and the crowds peak...although the decorations are gorgeous, early December is a better time since the crowds are lower. We've gone the first week in December and it was LOVELY!!! We've also been in December closer to Christmas and it was totally different, not to mention the stress of coming home and you still have Christmas staring you in the face with all the preparations.

The weather is also unpredictable...we've been in December and it was 32 degrees!!!! No thanks, I've got that at home already.

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by prekmom View Post
    We have been 3 times in October since my daughters get a fall break and we LOVE it at that time of the year. I have always wanted to go during Christmas to see the candlelight processional and just to experience it in December. The weather in the south is so unpredictible in the winter ( I live in South Louisiana) and I am not sure how much I will enjoy coming back and jumping right into Christmas!!! Decisions, decisions.....what to do????
    I'm a big fan of trying new things. If you have done October three times already and are contemplating Christmas - I say go for it. After you have done Christmas, you will be in a knowledgeable position to determine what you want to do in the future and can give other people advise on what you know.

If you had never done either holiday at WDW, October is fun. But you already know that.

My parents went on a cruise last year that left before Thanksgiving and got back Dec 23. That was cutting it close! But they bought a lot of presents before hand and managed. They even bought a little Charlie Brown tree on Christmas Eve and some of the grandkids got to help decorate it. Make the trip part of your Christmas gift to the kids and they will probably be okay. Maybe do one extra-special something while you are there to make it seem more of a present?

I agree with the statement: "I dont think you can go wrong with either date".
    Besides the Candle light Processional at Epcot, another cant miss during the Christmas holidays is the Osborne Lights at DHS. That was amazing! Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    Besides the Candle light Processional at Epcot, another cant miss during the Christmas holidays is the Osborne Lights at DHS. That was amazing! Loved it.
    And don't forget the EPCOT story tellers. I thought it was great to hear all of the different Christmas traditions from around the world.

I've done both October and December and loved both times of year. My December trip was about a week earlier than yours, so it gave me some time for Christmas preparation when I got home. If you plan properly that shouldn't be too much of an issue for you. My preference right now would be to go back during the Christmas season, but that's only because I've only been there once at Christmas time, and have been many times in October.
    Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

if you've done oct 3 times i vote for Dec. we came home two days before Christmas when we went two years ago. we did most of the prep work before we left. we did go out and get a tree on the 23rd and had to do some grocery shopping when we got home. But all the shopping was done before we left for our trip which was great. It all worked out. I know 2 Christmases ago it was freakishly cold down there. This past Dec was beautiful, but we always say "who cares about the weather, we're at wdw". Last Oct we were there and they got something like 8 inches of rain in a day, yeah we got wet, but we had a blast anyway. I guess what i'm saying is you can plan all you want for cold/rain/heat but you never know what you'll get so just enjoy! Christmas is a magical time and dont forget about the deluxe resorts and all their decor. So amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    the only complaint i have about osborne lights was we couldn't find a Snowball anywhere! SOmeone had been texting us pics of this awesome drink she had over at DHS called a Snowball! I had been craving one all week, they looked amazing. But when we sent the DH's off to find them the drink stand was closed!! But yes, the osborne lights are a must do for us! love it!

LOL!! It was very tasty!! It warmed me right up!! Good thing I had those pictures to show the bar tender at the Top of the World Lounge so he could "wing it"! ;-)

Well, I just found out that my daughter was one of the girls picked at her studio to dance at Disney. The dates are from Nov. 29-Dec 2nd, they will perform during the taping of the Christmas parade. Now I have another decision to make, do we take her out of school for this or stay with our original plans??

― Walt Disney Company

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The 'take out of school' question is often a hard one. Depends on the age (a lot harder to miss the days the older they get) and how well they're doing in school (if they struggle, it's a lot harder for them to catch up when they get back).

They don't have to be there all those dates just for the taping, do they? Or is that just the dates you'd go on vacation AROUND the taping. I believe GusMan's Daughter did the whole dance/cheer at the taping this past year. Hopefully he'll have some advice/lessons learned to share!

Cathy

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I just found out that my daughter was one of the girls picked at her studio to dance at Disney. The dates are from Nov. 29-Dec 2nd, they will perform during the taping of the Christmas parade. Now I have another decision to make, do we take her out of school for this or stay with our original plans??
    That's really good news! If I were you, I would go. It's now an extra special occasion. And those dates are an excellent time to go.

What grade is she in? I am finding it harder to take my teen DD out of school now. They give so much work, but maybe if you plan ahead and talk to the teachers about make-up work, it can be arranged. Good luck!

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    That's really good news! If I were you, I would go. It's now an extra special occasion. And those dates are an excellent time to go.

What grade is she in? I am finding it harder to take my teen DD out of school now. They give so much work, but maybe if you plan ahead and talk to the teachers about make-up work, it can be arranged. Good luck!
    I agree. That can be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. While I'm hesitant to take my oldest out of school for more than a day or two once she starts middle school next year, I'd do it in a heartbeat if she got an opportunity like that.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

She will be in the 4th grade next year and we decided that if we do go, we want to be there more than 4 days. I just hate to take her out of school, but don't want her to miss this wonderful opportunity. What is bad is that they are off the week before for Thanksgiving break. I am not sure how they tape for the parade, but I heard that you have to buy tickets just for the taping and have to sit there for a long time just in case there are mistakes and they have to go back and retape it. Like I said, I am not sure on how true all of this is.

― Walt Disney Company

Blog Entries

I was there for the taping as my daughter was in the parade this past year, and let me tell you - it was not something that I would purposely do without one of my family members in the actual parade. Even though, we did meet people that did this sort of thing every year. To me, other than seeing my daughter cheer down Main Street, it was a complete waste of most of a day.

There were special tickets needed to get in <real> early to get a spot - and most of those tickets were held by cast members. (Read: any Disney employee.) Can you eventually find spots to see parts of the parade? Yes. But they are hard to come by. There are some sections reserved for "general standing room" but not much and they are not great spots. We did have passes, because my daughter was performing, but by the time we were allowed in, it was already crowded.

The parade is taped in segments and those segments are done multiple times till they get it right. (Usually only once or twice.) The segments are done out of order as well. Crowd shots are also done at different times too. There are very long pauses in the action.... which got old quickly. In other words, it was not like watching a regular Disney parade where the whole thing goes by at one time. It was neat to see how it was done, but it was not super exciting.

Oh, and be prepared for some no-so-Disney-ish behavior as well. Never have I seen such rudeness among guests.

Would it be nice to try to see some of the taping done? Sure. You can say that you were there. But I would not base my trip around it.

ETA... I did not see your other post about your daughter being picked to be a part of the taping itself. (Congrats to her - that ROCKS!) I have to say that while it may sound like I did not have a great time, there was nothing like seeing my daughter be a part of that event. That, in of itself was a once in a lifetime honor and I would say DO IT! It was not an inexpensive endeavor, but it was well worth it.

And no... did not get to see my daughter during the actual presentation on Christmas day. But I did have a great spot to see her perform during the taping.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about that experience.

Last edited by GusMan; 03-02-2012 at 03:18 PM.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Yeah...I never did see her on TV!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Blog Entries

We knew where she was, and could point out where she was, but you could not see her.

Now, if you are careful, I think you could see that got about .23 seconds worth of airtime. But it was so quick, only John Madden would be able to catch such a detail.

Okay, we decided that we will let her go to this Dance the Magic thingy at Disney with her dance studio. It won't be cheap (when is it ever cheap?) and she will miss a whole week of school since we are making a vacation out of it. But it is worth it right.....I think I am trying to convince myself that it is!

― Walt Disney Company

Help! Two dates to choose from!

I go to Disney in Dec every year... I was going to suggest it anyways