Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Bay Lake Tower question [Laundry]

Bay Lake Tower question [Laundry]

I read this on MousePlanet's WDW page for Bay Lake Tower. Is this accurate?

Laundry: A free laundry room is on the first floor of the towel. Dry cleaning services are available from your room for a fee.

I realize that "towel" should be tower, & was wondering if the free laundry is accurate or a typo.

2. # ADS

If you are staying in DVC on points, it's correct. Im not sure if just the studios don't have "in villa" laundry or if all don't, but it's for DVC use.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are in a studio villa, and are a DVC member staying on points, then you should be able to use the laundry facilities at BLT for free. Larger rooms have in-room laundry.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Thanks for the info. We ARE staying in a studio, but are not DVC members....yet. I guess I'll take my quarters, afterall.

Are you staying on someone elses points?

Gusman, can non owners staying on points still use the laundry for free?

Shannon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Gusman, can non owners staying on points still use the laundry for free?
    I think so, but at the same time, I have not been in that situation. The thing is, I dont think the washers and dryers at DVC resorts take coins at all, so not sure how they would get any revenue from non-members. (At least from what I recall at AKV.)

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

How does one get into the laundry rooms? I would assume that it was with the hotel key. If that is the case, I would expect that cash guests and guests staying on other peoples points would also have access for the duration of their stay. If it is instead with the DVC key, then that would lead to all sorts of problems if people left their membership cards at home or visited from other places to do "free" laundry without staying onsite.

It seems that a phone call to the hotel is in order. Please let us know what they say!

I read the answer to this question in a trip report not long ago.

The answer is there are 2 different kinds of laundry rooms - and they are on different floors. If you are DVC (or the 'guest' of a DVC owner - i.e. you are renting points) you are directed to the 'free' laundry room. If you are staying there as a 'resort' guest, you are directed to the laundry room that takes coins.

I'm pretty sure that I know which trip report it was (not one of the ones posted here at MP) so I'll go check and make sure that I have my facts straight.

Well, I tried to find the information and had to give up.

I'm pretty sure that the trip report writer - who had rented DVC points - phoned the front desk to ask where the laundry room was. She was given directions - and when she arrived there, found that she needed coins. Later, she checked again, this time in person - and was told that she had been given directions to the 'wrong' laundry room. The 2nd laundry room that she was directed to did not require coins.

So this OP should verify when checking in that they get instructions to the DVC laundry room. I would surmise that the laundry room is coded onto the magnetic strip on the room key card.

I stayed at Old Key West on rented points before we bought in, and used the laundry room, for free (we were in a studio). I've also stayed in a studio at AKL and the laundry room, in Jambo House, was locked, and you used the room key. The program could, I'm sure, distinguish a DVC from hotel room reservation, but the laundry room was not in an area a hotel room guest would even be aware of it, unless they knew it was there. The equipment is the same type as in the regular laundry room-you often have to run the dryer more than once. If you have a one-bedroom or larger unit, you have your own washer and dryer. You will, likely, need extra detergent, if you are doing laundry for a family-they never give you quite enough.

Thanks for all the info. We are staying as "resort guest". My daughter has been thinking about buying into the DVC for a couple of years. It just seems like every time she is ready to make that down payment, something comes up. We don't usually do laundry when we're there, however, she has joined Owner's Locker, & wants to be able to leave things like beach towels, a pair of jammies, etc. but doesn't want to pack them away dirty.

We are back from our wonderful stay at BLT. My daughter surprised me for my 70th birthday, by arranging for all 7 of my kids (& their spouses, if they have one) to be there. She also surprised me by telling me that she is now a DVC member, since last January, when they started planning this trip. Some of us were in a beautiful 2-bedroom suite & 4 more were in a 1-bedroom suite, down the hall. Both suites had a washer & dryer, of course. She paid for both suites with points, & has reserved 2 studio rooms at SS for our December trip. Anybody know if there is a free DVC member laundry there?

Blog Entries

Studios wont have laundry in the rooms, but there are laundry rooms available, usually near the pools of each section. I dont recall paying for them the last time I was at SSR.

Thanks, GusMan. I know that Studios don't have washer/dryers, (where would they put them??) but was just wondering if DVC members had access to a FREE laundry area. We'll check it out in December, & I'll let ya'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Thanks, GusMan. I know that Studios don't have washer/dryers, (where would they put them??) but was just wondering if DVC members had access to a FREE laundry area. We'll check it out in December, & I'll let ya'll know.
    As far as I'm aware there is free laundry to anyone staying in a DVC studio on points at all DVC resorts.
    Shannon