Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Epcot with an 8 and 5 year old?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fleming View Post
    Next challenge question for my Disney experts:

What time would the light/fireworks/laser show thing start in early November at Epcot?

It gets dark earlier then obviously, but with a 5 year old especially, we cant stay out too late.

Thanks
    Ok, I'm going to just warn you that what I'm about to say is going to be severely controversial. I KNOW there are people who agree with me. I KNOW I'm not alone in this opinion. But I also know people who think I'm a terrible horrible person because of what I'm about to say:

I don't like Illuminations. If there was ONE thing I'd do differently at WDW it would be that I would've seen another nighttime show instead.

It is my opinion that if you don't want to keep the 5-y/o out late too many nights, I would personally skip Illuminations and stay later into the evening at Magic Kingdom instead.

There. I said it. (And I have to say, my kids would agree with me about Illuminations, as much as they love Epcot.)
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

2. # ADS

ok thanks.

9 or 10 pm is way too late for us, especialy with the travel time back to CBR.

something to look forward to when they are older.\

and i hear you can see a bit of the show from CBR?

we are more of the early riser, early to bed kind of family. (although isnt everyone with little kids?? lol)

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Ok, I'm going to just warn you that what I'm about to say is going to be severely controversial. I KNOW there are people who agree with me. I KNOW I'm not alone in this opinion. But I also know people who think I'm a terrible horrible person because of what I'm about to say:

I don't like Illuminations. If there was ONE thing I'd do differently at WDW it would be that I would've seen another nighttime show instead.

It is my opinion that if you don't want to keep the 5-y/o out late too many nights, I would personally skip Illuminations and stay later into the evening at Magic Kingdom instead.

There. I said it. (And I have to say, my kids would agree with me about Illuminations, as much as they love Epcot.)
    <-------- Raising my hand here!

I'm going to do you one worse, AK. I actually don't like fireworks OR parades. Yep, guilty. I've never liked them. When I was a kid, I could never understand waiting to see a show dancing down the street when there were RIDES to go on. I guess that attitude carried over! LOL. I will see a parade if it happens by. I will watch the fireworks from my balcony or if I'm in line - and I do enjoy a small bit of them. But, I'm not a crowd person, and I don't like standing and waiting hours for something that is only a few minutes... except, of course, for the aforementioned RIDES.

That being said, I *love* Fantasmic and we did a fireworks cruise on our last trip that was THE highlight of our last trip. I'm also a huge fan of the Candlelight Processional and Osborne Lights.

I know I am in the minority on not liking these things, but that's why Disney has so many things to see and do.
    This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post

I liked the old one better. The current one was interesting for the first couple of times, but IMHO we are long overdue for a replacement.
    Stan

Oh, goodie, Disney True Confessions. Years ago, we stayed at the Contemporary, and I have to admit, the Electric Light parade got on my nerves. We were so tired and trying to get to sleep and it kept us up.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

More True Confessions? I LOVE, LOVE the music for Illuminations, but can take or leave the show itself.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love walking around while Illuminations is going and listening to the music and taking in all the splendor of Epcot at night. *sigh*

Stephanie

Blog Entries

Being a big lover of fireworks, I couldn't wait to see this show on my first trip to WDW.

First impression of Illuminations:

"What in the tarnation is all the fuss about? I'm blowing this popcicle stand to beat the bus crowds."

Second impression of Illuminations:

"I must have been doing it wrong. Everyone loves it. I will get one of those great Rose and Crown seats they talk about and try again. I'm ready!"

During the actual show:

"What in the tarnation? Why do I keep getting giant cinders in my eye and face? Why are all these little kids' dads screaming at them not to be afraid of the fire when it's literally raining down on us? Let's blow this popcicle stand."

Third impression:

I'll let you know if I ever decide to see it a third time...

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

What time would the light/fireworks/laser show thing start in early November at Epcot?

It gets dark earlier then obviously, but with a 5 year old especially, we cant stay out too late.

Thanks

J
    Once you get to WDW, you might also realize that while the 5 year old might not quite be ready for any night time activities, the 8 year old might be. It's certainly not unheard of here for 1 parent to remain with a younger child at the resort and the other parent to take an older child back to a park for a few hours of some one-on-one time - and a viewing of Illuminations or Wishes - at least once during a trip.

If you have to choose between an early morning or a late night, I'd choose a rope drop start every time with children. You can get so much done the first couple of hours. I'd say Wishes is a much better show for a 5 and 8 year old if you are having to choose. Personally I wouldn't let one see Illuminations without the other, that could end in tears for sure. Good luck deciding.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Thanks for all the replies.

What is Wishes? and if its a nighttime show, what time does it start usually?

'rope drop' sounds fun, and then you all race to mickey and tackle him?? lol

Wishes is the fireworks display at MK. It changes depending on the night--usually right before MK closes for the night (but then you have EMH [extra magic hour] nights, etc., which makes my generalization not so accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    If you have to choose between an early morning or a late night, I'd choose a rope drop start every time with children. You can get so much done the first couple of hours. I'd say Wishes is a much better show for a 5 and 8 year old if you are having to choose....
    ^ This.

If I remember correctly, your family are the 'early to bed, early to rise' kind of family and has decided against getting park hoppers - so you'll (mostly) want to avoid parks that have late EMH on any given day.

However, early EMH (with the possible exception of Epcot) might be worth considering. Especially at MK - hopefully, you will be able to get your family to MK the day that it opens for early EMH (likely 8 am) so that your family (really meaning your 5 year old) can ride many of the attractions in Fantasyland easily and with very little of a wait. Leave when the park gets too crowded for your liking.

I'm really surprised that they're running IllumiNations at 10pm on weekends. They've always had it at 9pm year round, except for at Christmastime when they ran it at 9:30pm. But whatever time they run it, IllumiNations is one of my favorite shows anywhere, eclipsed only by DL's version of Fantasmic! I usually see it 2 or 3 times each trip, and listen to the sound track (including the 1990's pre-show music) a couple times a month year round!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Why do I keep getting giant cinders in my eye and face? Why are all these little kids' dads screaming at them not to be afraid of the fire when it's literally raining down on us?...
    Depending on where you stand and how the wind is blowing, you can indeed get some of the fallout raining down on you. I know this for a fact, having had my hair catch on fire one memorable night (but that's another story . . .).
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

We too, love Illuminations and might I suggest watching it from the bridge near France and then instead of taking all the time to walk to the busses, get over to Boardwalk and take a cab. Even with our needed car seats, the cabs were well worth the money and convenience, especially since you've never seen Illuminations. We use cabs 5-8 times in a trip even with transportation, for dining, and convenience.

Mikala

Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    Once you get to WDW, you might also realize that while the 5 year old might not quite be ready for any night time activities, the 8 year old might be. It's certainly not unheard of here for 1 parent to remain with a younger child at the resort and the other parent to take an older child back to a park for a few hours of some one-on-one time - and a viewing of Illuminations or Wishes - at least once during a trip.
    When my kids were younger, we did this all the time. My husband and younger child would run out of steam, at night or even mid-day,and head back to the hotel, and I would stay with my older child, and get in another couple of hours of park time. We always felt comfortable taking the buses, even late at night. The fact is, not everyone has the same level of energy,and forcing a child, or adult, to stay in the park, when they have had enough, is a recipe for a meltdown. The same applies for forcing a child, or adult, to leave, when they still have plenty of energy and interest in the park. It's very easy for everyone to come and go as they please, if you are staying on-site. It really makes the trip much less stressful, and more fun. I strongly advise against putting a five-year old though a long day in the park, for more than a few hours at a time. We were not usually in a park mid-afternoon, because we almost always were there at park opening, and were in the habit of taking a good break after lunch. One day we got a later start, and I was in a gift shop at Epcot, when, virtually at the stroke of three, every pre-schooler in the shop had a group meltdown, and started crying. I thought-no doubt these kids have been there for the past six hours, and had been making "I'm about to hit the wall" noises for the past hour, unheeded by parents, and they had enough. Once they approach that wall, there is no turning back.

So you kept your car seats at the BW, Mikala? I missed something in the translation.....LOL!

I utilize cabs too. Usually, I get a cab 2-3 times in a 10 day trip. It's not enough to "pay" for what a car rental would be, but enough to make it REALLY convenient on "those" days. Almost always, it's either at Epcot for after Illuminations or to a resort signature dining locale. Good idea, though, Mikala, to take the cab from BW instead of the front of Epcot. I don't know what I never thought of that! I walk all of the way up there and then grab a cab. STUUUUUPID! LOL. Guess what change to my itinerary I'm making right now????? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Ha Tina. Lol. No, we just made sure to have a driver that had them and actually called on the same driver for several cab rides.

Mikala

Blog Entries

No problem Tina. Payng for convenience makes us happy so why not. Like you, dining ays a factor. On our last night, we'll spend the evening at AK, Boma, and walk around and use a cab twice. After a family day at MK, we will take a cab back to
    CG after the kiddies stay with the grandparents. After a full day at BB, we will take a cab from our resort to Poly, dining at Ohana. My time is precious and more than worth a $10 cab ride. Sooooo excited. On the countdown. We leave first thing on 9/21 with a non-stop from Vegas. Yahooooo.

Mikala

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Ha Tina. Lol. No, we just made sure to have a driver that had them and actually called on the same driver for several cab rides.
    I'd guess that cab drivers that specialize in driving from point to point within the Disney borders know that there are usually little ones involved, and have those seats in the trunk if they're smart!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by mom22gls View Post
    ...The fact is, not everyone has the same level of energy,and forcing a child, or adult, to stay in the park, when they have had enough, is a recipe for a meltdown. The same applies for forcing a child, or adult, to leave, when they still have plenty of energy and interest in the park. It's very easy for everyone to come and go as they please, if you are staying on-site. It really makes the trip much less stressful, and more fun...
    Oh totally agree mom22gls! I've always said that a successful trip comes down to pacing. And not everyone's pace is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala
    We too, love Illuminations and might I suggest watching it from the bridge near France and then instead of taking all the time to walk to the busses, get over to Boardwalk and take a cab.....
    I have always wondered if this would work out! Thanks for the answer and the great tip!

Are there always cabs at the etrance to all the parks and hotels? So if you wanted to go from CBR to a different hotel for dinner, you could grab a cab instead? Alternatively would you have to take a bus to a theme park and then that resorts bus?

Are there always cabs at the etrance to all the parks and hotels? So if you wanted to go from CBR to a different hotel for dinner, you could grab a cab instead? Alternatively would you have to take a bus to a theme park and then that resorts bus?
    Pretty much, yes.

One thing that you are probably not aware of is that CBR is one of the "Epcot Area Resorts". The Polynesian is a "Magic Kingdom Area Resort"....etc. etc. So this is sometimes helpful in determining how close a park is.

Most newbies - before their 1st trip - underestimate the efficiency of the Disney internal bus transportation system. While there are occasional difficulties and waits, overall, the internal bus system (as well as DME) is a pretty efficient operation.

NO taxis in front of MK, though--just park/resort busses.

And that brings up the subject of the TTC (Transportation and Ticket Center)

The OP should be aware that Resort buses go to and from the MK - and the resort buses are off to the left as you exit.

However, guests that arrive at the MK by car, will park their cars and take a ferry or the monorail through the TTC. The TTC is subtitled by Disney as the "Gateway to the Magic Kingdom" although you can also go to Epcot as well as the monorail resorts (Poly, Grand Floridian and the Contemporary).

Wikipedia - or other Googled sources - should have a good explanation of the TTC. After reading the explanation, you'll understand that you can go from the MK to Epcot by monorail and after looking at your kids - who are 5 and 8 - you'll understand that your family is going to be riding that monorail (because riding the monorail will be a big thrill to them).

I know your family has chosen not to purchase park hoppers, so if you are at the MK in the first day of your vacation - if you want - you can take the monorail over to Epcot and the monorail will loop through Epcot - getting a really good advance look - before the monorail stops at the Epcot entrance. Just stay on the monorail and you'll ride back to the TTC and can get back to your resort from there. It's a really good way to get an advance look at the beauty of Epcot.