Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Breaking in running shoes

Breaking in running shoes

I've got new running shoes and need to break them in. How does everyone break intheir shoes? How long until you are ready to run in them?

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My last two pairs I've broken in on short 3 miles runs. Actually, I really don't think they needed any breaking in, but that was the mileage I used for that purpose. But, they were both the same style shoes that I had already had, just a newer version (Asics Gel Kayano) so maybe that had something to do with it.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Most shoes don't really need breaking in, it's more important to try them out to make sure they're not going to rub in strange places or feel strange etc. before you go on a long run or do a race in them. I usually try out new shoes on the treadmill at the gym especially if the place I got them doesn't all returns after they've been used outside.

Thanks! DH was telling me to walk in them awhile before running with them. My last shoes were very broke in before I recently started running, so the new ones feel "too new".

Shannon

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also used mine on a treadmill first, like Steph. But, that was for my own comfort. I didn't want to get too far out on a run when I realized my shoes were rubbing and then have to get all the way back. If I was on a treadmill I could just stop and leave. Returns weren't a big issue for me. Roadrunner sports has a great return policy, I think it's like 60 or 90 days, even if you've run in them.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Most shoes don't really need breaking in, it's more important to try them out to make sure they're not going to rub in strange places or feel strange etc. before you go on a long run or do a race in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Returns weren't a big issue for me. Roadrunner sports has a great return policy, I think it's like 60 or 90 days, even if you've run in them.
    What they said. It's worth going to a to a quality running store, getting properly fitted so you have the right style and size shoe, and buying a good quality shoe from that store (some people will go, get fitted and then cheap out and buy the shoes from a different cheaper source, way to screw the store that gave the good customer service, and don't have to customer service protection and follow-up later.)

If you have a properly fitting high quality shoe, you won't need to break it in.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Thanks for all the insight. Running is totally foreign to me and I appreciate the help. I ran in them last night and they felt great!

Shannon

I like to wear them for a day or two before I start running in my shoes. Currently doing this myself. Then, do some shorter runs like 3 to 6 miles. Make sure that you do a long run in them if you are doing a half or a full marathon before the race. It really takes about 3 to 4 weeks of use before your shoe conforms to your foot and your impact points. That is the breaking in that everyone is talking about.