Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney World in June...yes or a no?

Disney World in June...yes or a no?

I am thinking about taking my family to DisneyWorld the first week of June 2012. How are the crowds at that time of the year? The heat is really not a factor as I live in South Louisiana and we are all use to the tempatures. Thanks!

“Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.”
    ― Walt Disney Company

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We are going to be there around that time as well. Its my understanding that the later in June, the more you will start competing with crowds, including some international touring groups. (They seem to peak in July, though...) The best thing to do is to have a good plan, possibly using a guide like touringplans.com to get an idea of a good plan of attack for your family.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First week in June is generally going to be better than later in June and July.
    If your schools get out earlier (there are so many schedules, even just in Orleans Parish!) each week earlier you can go will be better as far as crowds go.

And even though you're 'used to' the temps - don't forget to hydrate! At home, I spend a lot of time in my AC'd house, AC'd car, and AC'd office - but at WDW there's definitely more non-AC time!

Cathy

We almost always go in June (we went this year from the 12-17). It's really not that bad crowd-wise. If the heat doesn't bother you, then I would say go, go, go! It sure is nice to go to the pools too!

Normally the heat isn't really all that horrible...unless you hit a heat wave like we did from 6/17-6/25 -- 99 degrees each day, with a "feels like" temp between 105 and 110 degrees. It was unbearable and nearly ruined the trip for us. Next year we are going again in June (what are the odds of a second record-breaking heat wave two years in a row?), but nearly 2 weeks earlier. Go for it!

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Blog Entries

I am thinking of going the week after my kids get out of school. What are your thoughts on going June 16/17 for a full week leaving either Saturday or Sunday?
    My DH is really concerned about the heat, he keeps saying he refuses to go during summer but it really is our only option now. DD starts High School this year and with her block scheduling missing a week of classes would but her about 10 hours of class behind in three major classes. She is an Honor Student but I don't want to put that much pressure on her. Also because of my work we can not go during Christmas Break and I don't want to go during Easter owing to all the horrible crowds I hear about that week.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

According to accuweather, this last June 16 and 17 the temp was 94 and 97. And you can bet the humidity will be sky high as well. If this is the only time you can visit, go for it. But just be prepared for it to be HOT!!! Hit the parks as early as you can, take a break in the heat of the afternoon back at your hotel for a swim and a nap, and then go back to the parks in the late afternoon as it starts to cool down a little bit.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

We have been twice in June - last week in May through to the first two weeks in June and loved it! Crowd level was manageable, weather was hot but not as humid as it is in September, and it hardly rained. It did get a wee bit busier around our third week but we had done everthing by then so we just chilled and people watched. Hope this helps.

Fiona
    25th Wedding Anniversary Trip 8th September 2013
    WDW 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009
    DLP 2001, 2003, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by KJSJpipe View Post
    I am thinking of going the week after my kids get out of school. What are your thoughts on going June 16/17 for a full week leaving either Saturday or Sunday?
    My DH is really concerned about the heat, he keeps saying he refuses to go during summer but it really is our only option now. DD starts High School this year and with her block scheduling missing a week of classes would but her about 10 hours of class behind in three major classes. She is an Honor Student but I don't want to put that much pressure on her. Also because of my work we can not go during Christmas Break and I don't want to go during Easter owing to all the horrible crowds I hear about that week.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    We did that very trip this summer, going right after the kids got out of school-I think we left the 19th. Yes, it's hot, but we are getting used to traveling in the summer, mostly because of school schedules. The crowds were not overwhelming, and as long as you plan your days for breaks during the hottest part of the day, and drink lots of water, you will be fine. One good thing is that the MK will have very late EMH, and it's actually a lot of fun after midnight, and it's reasonably cool. Teens love to be out that late. On our trip, the older girls had very specific rides they wanted to be on, and made good use of their time. My middle schooler knows her way around the parks. One day, she and her friend really wanted to do the thrill rides at HS. I said fine, take the bus, when you are done, take the boat to Epcot and meet us for dinner. They did, and we texted back and forth, and everything was fine. When it's that hot, we don't just wander around outside-we stick to our basic plan, which is, essentially, do the thing you want to do the most, first.

Good info to know. We are going June 8th 2012 for about eleven days and although we won't be at the parks everyday, it is nice to know it is not super crowded!

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

We have gone the last week of May/first week of June the last three years. Mainly for Star Wars Weekends. But we have found the temps not being too hot, crowds very manageble and a good time to go. See Northern kids aren't out of school yet. And yes it will get much hotter in just a couple of weeks later. I say it's a great time to go. We were also able to get all the ADR's with no issues either.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    According to accuweather, this last June 16 and 17 the temp was 94 and 97. And you can bet the humidity will be sky high as well.
    Darn, that's what I was thinking, maybe I will just tell DH it's not that bad....he wouldn't check for himself, once we get there is will be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mom22gls View Post
    We did that very trip this summer, going right after the kids got out of school-I think we left the 19th. Yes, it's hot, but we are getting used to traveling in the summer, mostly because of school schedules. The crowds were not overwhelming, and as long as you plan your days for breaks during the hottest part of the day, and drink lots of water, you will be fine. One good thing is that the MK will have very late EMH, and it's actually a lot of fun after midnight, and it's reasonably cool. Teens love to be out that late. On our trip, the older girls had very specific rides they wanted to be on, and made good use of their time. My middle schooler knows her way around the parks. One day, she and her friend really wanted to do the thrill rides at HS. I said fine, take the bus, when you are done, take the boat to Epcot and meet us for dinner. They did, and we texted back and forth, and everything was fine. When it's that hot, we don't just wander around outside-we stick to our basic plan, which is, essentially, do the thing you want to do the most, first.
    I think we would have to really change our touring style to make this work. We still tend to storm a bit. We have slowly started taking more time and not plowing through every thing from open to close then off to who ever is still open or DtD. I will also have to convince DH that taking a break during the day with late EMH is not sac religious.
    I think we can do it, it really is just about getting DH to go along with it, I think the kids will be fine with any thing as long as we are in Disney.
    ~Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by KJSJpipe View Post
    Darn, that's what I was thinking, maybe I will just tell DH it's not that bad....he wouldn't check for himself, once we get there is will be too late.
    Wow! I guess it depends on the relationship you have with the DH. You might get your trip but so freak out the DH by the high temps that it would end up not being worth it. Or he might not be as freaked out as you might think by the hot weather. Or it might not be really high temps at all. It's just all about how you see him, and what would bother him more.

Good luck!
    - James Taylor

If the weather is a big concern, go to the Weather Underground site (www.wunderground.com). You can get probabilities & averages for a specific date-range based on actual results from the past 10+ years or so ... (wunderground.com; travel & activities; trip planner). Have fun !!

"Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" -- Donald Duck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Good luck!
    I think I may need it! I am hoping that DH just gets over his fear of the heat. It really will not work to go another time of year. The cost of the flights would make a long weekend out of the question. I went in August with a girlfriend and while the heat was ugly we adjusted after our first day and had a good time. We did take a break mid day and showered 2-3 times a day. That is something DH is going to have to deal with. I really think once we are there and having fun DH will be okay, it's the getting there that will be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in TN View Post
    If the weather is a big concern, go to the Weather Underground site (www.wunderground.com). You can get probabilities & averages for a specific date-range based on actual results from the past 10+ years or so ... (wunderground.com; travel & activities; trip planner). Have fun !!
    Thanks for the link Greg, I knew this site existed but could not remember the name of it.
    ~Katrina

I went once with one of my brothers many years ago during the summer, and it really was FREAKIN' HOT! One trick we did was to have a hand towel from the room each, just kinda slung over a shoulder. It was right there to mop up the sweat, which made the day somewhat nicer. We even had several people see this and say something like "great idea - I'm gonna do that tomorrow!"

- James Taylor