Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Matterhorn Refurb

Matterhorn Refurb

I have been reading a few different items about the Matterhorn refurb. Is the Matterhorn just down for some track replacement and painting? Or is it down to put in the new cars with the lap bars?

Thanks for sharing any information! You guys are the best!

GnP

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    I have been reading a few different items about the Matterhorn refurb. Is the Matterhorn just down for some track replacement and painting? Or is it down to put in the new cars with the lap bars?
    The new cars (sleds) are coming probably with this refurbishment. They were tested quite awhile ago. The big refubishment next year has painting the mountain and some interior enhancements in the rumor mill. Haven't heard about track (tracks since there are two of them) replacement but compared to Space Mtn and California Screamin', the Matterhorn is one bumpy ride.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time.

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

105000 page views and counting

MAN, I can't wait until they re-paint the Matterhorn. Looking at how good Disney is now with prefabbed mountains/landscapes (i.e. Expedition Everest, CarsLand in DCA, even Big Thunder), the way the Matterhorn looks right now is kind of embarrassing. I even liked the way the Matterhorn looked when it first opened better (darker grey at the bottom, almost pure white at the top) than it looks now.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

i just cant wait until ALL the refurbs are done, and DL/DCA will all look shiny & new

According to a couple of the "In The Parks" blogs on MiceAge, the new bobsleds will not be rolling out with this refurbishment. They will come in after the New Year when Matterhorn goes down again.

"Aesthetic refurbishments of the station and track replacement work are the focus of this first part of a two part refurbishment. The ride will reopen in time for the holiday season then close again after the New Years to complete work and install the new bobsleds with locking seat belts."

http://micechat.com/blogs/in-the-par...stle-park.html

matterhorn

ok so just got back from disneyland...all i can say is this park is definatly starting to show some wear and tear...rides broke down daily...with that said i spoke with a person who works there and they said the matterhorn will open after lbr day then close in jan for 1 year to put in the new sleds...yikes an entire year.

Thank you Tylerbo and Iceman for double checking and getting down to the bottom of this. I will be going to DL Nov.3-10. And I really enjoy the bobsleds the way that they are. It's just alot of fun for me. So I was crossing my fingers that they wouldn't put in the new sleds until after my trip. And thank you Club33, Jana and Dban3 for your replies. I think you guys are wonderful to share what info you can find. Thanks ever so much!
    GnP

A year seems like a really, really long time.

I agree, a year seems too long. Supposedly, they are replacing the track and doing station upgrades during this current refurbishment, and the new bobsleds are the focus of the next one. So, I'd think that they'd only need a month or two at most to make the changes to the station gates (if they don't get that out of the way now), and then get the new sleds on the track and tested. If it's truly going to be closed for a year, then there's gotta be something else planned as well.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    A year seems like a really, really long time.
    It may depend on how much of the structure they might be re-doing. Remember that Space Mountain was down for a year when they rebuilt it and reopened it for the 50th.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Remember that Space Mountain was down for a year when they rebuilt it and reopened it for the 50th.
    Well, that's true. Space Mountain was actually closed for over two years (April 2003 - July 2005), so I guess it wouldn't be that farfetched that Matterhorn might need a decent amount of time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    Well, that's true. Space Mountain was actually closed for over two years (April 2003 - July 2005), so I guess it wouldn't be that farfetched that Matterhorn might need a decent amount of time as well.
    i thought i noticed new holes in the matterhorn but could be wrong...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerbo20 View Post
    i thought i noticed new holes in the matterhorn but could be wrong...
    well, when they say new track I doubt they mean new layout (new holes). they are more than likely replacing track (which is what they did for space mountain). However, you never really, REALLY, know until the sucker is done and you have physical proof and/or releases from Disney. Until then all the speculation and CM comments are just that, comments and speculation.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I agree with the fact that you never know until it's done. I still just can foresee them doing something so drastic as to change the structure of the mountain itself. The only parts I could see them changing would be making holes where the Skyway used to go through it, since we know that there is no track or anything in its way (other than new support structure I'm sure they added when they plugged them). But right now, they only have a little over a month...I can't see much structural changes being done in that time. If it truly is closed for 2012, then I could see something happening there. But as far as during this refurbishment, I can't see them having enough time to make structural changes and get it all themed (and implemented) before the ride reopens in early September. It took them two years to replace the track in Space Mountain (including, if I'm not mistaken, a few structural changes to the inside of the building itself), and that they were able to work on throughout the operating day as they could come in from the backstage areas...they're limited as to what they can do on the Matterhorn during the day, because with it being in the middle of the park, they can't very well be hauling track pieces or anything to the mountain throughout the day. Just my two cents.

If I'm not mistaken, the entire structure of the Matterhorn was reinforced with steel not too many years ago (more recently than 2002, when we first got passes). Would they really need to overhaul it again so soon? I, too, am curious as to what next year's lengthy closure--however long it may be--entails.

Well, I'm still not so sure they will have a lengthy closure next year. Supposedly, they are replacing the track and doing some cosmetic work on the station during this closure. So, I doubt they'd replace the track now, only to turn around a couple months later to pull it out to upgrade internals of the mountain or anything. If they are planning on doing any major overhaul, why not wait until next year and do it all at once? My guess is that they are simply replacing the bobsleds next year (as has been reported) and any expected "lengthy" closure might be so to allow for any testing and last minute problems that arise (including the new station gates that will need to be installed).

DD will be so happy to know that her ride in June was not the last one for several years! A CM told us the new height requirement will be 52" and DD is currently at 43.5" and has been riding the Matterhorn since she was 35" (at age 2.5). We may be visiting the parks next week and have two trips planned with extended family in November.

-- Cindy

52"?? Wouldn't that make it the highest requirement in the park? I could see 42", maybe...as that is a common height requirement. But 52" sounds a bit extreme! What are they doing, building Everest?! Doubt that!

I found the following information. It's past dated, but it may explain why the height requirement will change. Too bad though, it's nice to have a ride younger dare devils can ride.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/disneyland.htm

Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    DD will be so happy to know that her ride in June was not the last one for several years! A CM told us the new height requirement will be 52" and DD is currently at 43.5" and has been riding the Matterhorn since she was 35" (at age 2.5). We may be visiting the parks next week and have two trips planned with extended family in November.
    Proving once again that CM cannot always be trusted for reliable information. I have no idea what the new height requirement will be, but California Screamin' is only 48" and that ride has a loop! The only higher requirement is to ride alone for Autopia (54") but anyone can ride that once they are 32".

Perhaps the CM meant 42"? That would put it on par with Goofy's Sky School and Grizzly River Rapids.

My kids have also been riding the Matterhorn since around 2 1/2. I debated waiting to let my daughter ride so that if they do change the height requirements she wouldn't be as sorely disappointed. She really enjoys it so I do hope that if they raise the height requirement it won't be too much above 40". That would put it on par with either other "thrill" rides.

Okay found this and it made me laugh!

The Matterhorn ride, also known as the Matterhorn Bobsleds, is part of the Fantasyland section at Disneyland. The ride has been around for more than 70 years, though recent years have seen the addition of some animatronic Abominable Snowmen. And in case you’re wondering if they’ll make an appearance in the film, they will. The story is a thrilling adventure surrounding five young adventurers who are called to the top of the mountain under mysterious circumstances. On their way back down they encounter the Abominable Snowmen. Yikes.

Yikes is right! How could it have been around for more than 70 years when the park is only 56? Not to mention that the Matterhorn is not one of the original 1955 rides.

Wow, I thought it would be open in April when we are going, since it has been closed so long this year already!

Well, based on the context of Chahn's post, I'm assuming he/she actually meant 42". Otherwise, I don't know why he/she would be so happy about their daughter not having to wait when she's only 43.5"...after all, 8.5" is a lot to grow in the couple months before they say they have their next trips planned.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    Yikes is right! How could it have been around for more than 70 years when the park is only 56? Not to mention that the Matterhorn is not one of the original 1955 rides.
    And that's awesome. Where did you find that? haha. They probably meant 50 years and someone is just REALLY bad at typing AND proofreading haha. Of course, depending on when that was posted, that may not even be accurate, it's only 52 years old right now!

Nope, the CM actually said 52". We were boggling and asked him a 2nd time because there are adults who might not be able to ride! I really do hope he mis-spoke and it will be 42". To clarify why she'd be happy, I was also under the impression that the Matterhorn would be closed through the fall until some time next year. With it opening for fall & re-closing in January we will have another chance to ride before the new sleds get put in.

-- Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by chahn View Post
    Nope, the CM actually said 52". We were boggling and asked him a 2nd time because there are adults who might not be able to ride! I really do hope he mis-spoke and it will be 42". To clarify why she'd be happy, I was also under the impression that the Matterhorn would be closed through the fall until some time next year. With it opening for fall & re-closing in January we will have another chance to ride before the new sleds get put in.
    Ah okay, that makes sense. Sorry. Like others, I assume he misspoke. That definitely seems rather tall. After all, Space Mountain is only 40" and it has an individual lap bar. I can't see any reason why they would need a 52" height restriction unless the cars were designed with a super long lap bar that doesn't hold shorter people in as well?

Every Day Is Disneyland Day! DizneyMommy's Avatar

Does anyone has any good reliable info on when the new cars are going in? My 3 year old I already in love with this ride but if they raise the limit she will be an inch or two too short now! I'm also not sure how safe I feel with those individual seats, I don't see how I could safely hang on to a child that has to sit in a separate seat.

Disneyland AP since 1994, WDW CSR Aug 2010