Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Matterhorn Refurb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Matterhorn Refurb

I have been reading a few different items about the Matterhorn refurb. Is the Matterhorn just down for some track replacement and painting? Or is it down to put in the new cars with the lap bars?

Thanks for sharing any information! You guys are the best!

GnP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodnplenty View Post
    I have been reading a few different items about the Matterhorn refurb. Is the Matterhorn just down for some track replacement and painting? Or is it down to put in the new cars with the lap bars?
    The new cars (sleds) are coming probably with this refurbishment. They were tested quite awhile ago. The big refubishment next year has painting the mountain and some interior enhancements in the rumor mill. Haven't heard about track (tracks since there are two of them) replacement but compared to Space Mtn and California Screamin', the Matterhorn is one bumpy ride.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time.

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

105000 page views and counting

MAN, I can't wait until they re-paint the Matterhorn. Looking at how good Disney is now with prefabbed mountains/landscapes (i.e. Expedition Everest, CarsLand in DCA, even Big Thunder), the way the Matterhorn looks right now is kind of embarrassing. I even liked the way the Matterhorn looked when it first opened better (darker grey at the bottom, almost pure white at the top) than it looks now.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

i just cant wait until ALL the refurbs are done, and DL/DCA will all look shiny & new

According to a couple of the "In The Parks" blogs on MiceAge, the new bobsleds will not be rolling out with this refurbishment. They will come in after the New Year when Matterhorn goes down again.

"Aesthetic refurbishments of the station and track replacement work are the focus of this first part of a two part refurbishment. The ride will reopen in time for the holiday season then close again after the New Years to complete work and install the new bobsleds with locking seat belts."

http://micechat.com/blogs/in-the-par...stle-park.html

matterhorn

ok so just got back from disneyland...all i can say is this park is definatly starting to show some wear and tear...rides broke down daily...with that said i spoke with a person who works there and they said the matterhorn will open after lbr day then close in jan for 1 year to put in the new sleds...yikes an entire year.

I don't know if this has been talked about because I didn't want to go thru 4 pages, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the height requirement was going to change with the new sleds.

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    I don't know if this has been talked about because I didn't want to go thru 4 pages, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the height requirement was going to change with the new sleds.
    Yes they will.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Quote Originally Posted by pixar View Post
    Yes they will.
    Do they know what the new height requirement will be?
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    According to this week's update, 40 inches. Same as Splash Mtn.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    According to this week's update, 40 inches. Same as Splash Mtn.
    note that the update did not say it was confirmed - it was speculated. (and most likely will happen).
    "Though this has been widely discussed among Disney fans, and several parents have even posed the question on the Disney Parks Blog, Disney has yet to announce if or how the height requirement might change."
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

It was announced today on another board that the new requirement will be 42", same as for Goofy's Sky School.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    I know. One thing we loved in WDW is that Kali River Rapids (their version of GRR) had an extra lap bar so kids 38-42" could ride too. It was a "thrill ride" DS could do too, and his favorite ride BTW. I know Grizzly has a bigger drop and safety regulations are different in CA, but I wish they could do some accommodations like that in DL too.
    I didn't care for Kali Rapids, but I think that is because GRR is my favorite ride at DCA. I didn't know Kali had a lower height requirement; that is a deffinate plus then. My friend was just commenting to me today that her son, who will be 5, will be tall enough for GRR when they take him for his first visit to Disneyland this summer.
    The Dinosaur ride also has a lower height requirement even though it is the same ride as Indy, only not as good .

Matterhorn Refurb

That's too bad that it will be 42". 40" seemed even too tall. That changes Matterhorn a lot. It was always the first roller coaster the kids rode and something we could do as a family for a long time. Now the kids won't be able to ride it for a long time.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    That's too bad that it will be 42". 40" seemed even too tall. That changes Matterhorn a lot. It was always the first roller coaster the kids rode and something we could do as a family for a long time. Now the kids won't be able to ride it for a long time.
    what I thought interesting as well was
    1) they did not change the track layout
    2) unless the tech on the wheels is significant the speed won't change
    3) by installing separate seats with their own safety mechanism they would be "safer"

with this - I can't understand why the height requirement would change. (except, of course, for liability only).

Add this with all of the price increase talk in other threads - and add this to another attraction the family can't ride together - and you have to wonder about the strategy long term. (yeah, sorry, I think about stuff like that).
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post

Add this with all of the price increase talk in other threads - and add this to another attraction the family can't ride together - and you have to wonder about the strategy long term. (yeah, sorry, I think about stuff like that).
    As long as there are I think about 9 or 10 attractions in Fantasyland alone that families can ride on together and another half dozen or so scattered throughout the park, I think families will still be OK providing they have the discretionary funds to begin with (which is a whole other question, and thread).

The burning question, did the line for the Gadget Go-Coaster just get longer? - eeck!!!

...with this - I can't understand why the height requirement would change. (except, of course, for liability only).
    I'd guess simple mechanics. I'm sure it wasn't a priority for Disney to design a safety system that could be enjoyed by short people, including little kids. The system can indeed be safer and still require a taller height limit.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

what I thought interesting as well was
    1) they did not change the track layout
    2) unless the tech on the wheels is significant the speed won't change
    3) by installing separate seats with their own safety mechanism they would be "safer"

with this - I can't understand why the height requirement would change. (except, of course, for liability only).
    The big thing to remember is that now, kids will be sitting by themselves. Before, they were able to sit in their parent's lap. The parent could ensure the child followed safety rules and also help hold the child in. Now, the child will be sitting in his own seat. That could cause problems. Also, parents won't be able to comfort their children, which could cause problems as well. And a height requirement helps them ensure a child could handle riding it alone from an emotional standpoint.

However, I think the biggest factor in the change is that the restraint system is different and parents won't be able to physically control or restrain their children themselves anymore. Anytime the restraint system changes doesn't mean it is "safer" for everyone. The seatbelts adjusted to your size. The lapbars likely won't. For instance, on Space Mountain, the lap bar doesn't make it too far up my legs because I'm big. Sure, it keeps me in the car, but it might not be as safe for me as a seatbelt that I could ensure was tight around my waist. My sister used to be the opposite way. Many lapbars would hit her stomach before they would snugly hold her legs. It kept her in, but she would be jostled around on vertical drops/hills, etc. Just saying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    The big thing to remember is that now, kids will be sitting by themselves. Before, they were able to sit in their parent's lap. The parent could ensure the child followed safety rules and also help hold the child in. Now, the child will be sitting in his own seat. That could cause problems. Also, parents won't be able to comfort their children, which could cause problems as well. And a height requirement helps them ensure a child could handle riding it alone from an emotional standpoint.

However, I think the biggest factor in the change is that the restraint system is different and parents won't be able to physically control or restrain their children themselves anymore. Anytime the restraint system changes doesn't mean it is "safer" for everyone. The seatbelts adjusted to your size. The lapbars likely won't. For instance, on Space Mountain, the lap bar doesn't make it too far up my legs because I'm big. Sure, it keeps me in the car, but it might not be as safe for me as a seatbelt that I could ensure was tight around my waist. My sister used to be the opposite way. Many lapbars would hit her stomach before they would snugly hold her legs. It kept her in, but she would be jostled around on vertical drops/hills, etc. Just saying.
    In this legal climate where you actually have to demonstrate prolonged concern for guest safety, it just makes me wonder how the Pirates of the Caribbean boat can survive in its current state without a height limit or restraining system.

I think Disney just assumes that for the most part, kids will ride with other people. There is also their overall requirement that children under age 7 must be accompanied by someone over 14. I think this is in play here. Before, someone over 14 could hold a small child that met the height requirement and help where needed. Now, the child needs to be able to do more themselves and behave independently while on the ride. With increased responsibility comes an increase in height. Though since my 3 1/2 year old will probably meet a 42" requirement either already or shortly, so we are not talking about very old children.

In some ways I prefer the Legoland method where most rides have two height bars. The lower bar is simply to ride the ride, the upper bar is to ride without a grownup.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Can't say I've ever thought of the Matterhorn as being a "family attraction". And it's been an attraction that all family members can't necessarily ride together because of the previous height restriction anyway.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...