Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Monorail no longer running during evening EMHs starting 7/11/11

Monorail no longer running during evening EMHs starting 7/11/11

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Transportati...agic-Hours.htm

Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours
    Has anyone seen this yet? Found it on the WDWmagic site. Hope its not so, this would effect staying at the Monorail resorts.

Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours
    Jul 09, 2011

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

2. # ADS

We don't usually attend evening EMH, but that news is very discouraging because it signals even more cutbacks at the parks. It's like, little by little, the "Magic" is being taken away!

This Is not good, it will greatly impact the bus situation that is already taxed as it is now.
    WDW needs to step back and look back to the 90s, the parks had a lot more people performing vast jobs things appeared more magical then, now they keep raising prices and cutting back on services, makes one wonder how much longer before the costs out way the fun of going.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

What the???? What if there's a lightning storm? This is a terrible idea!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if this is in response to the tragic accident last (?) year? If the monorails quit running after 'regular' park hours, then they won't be running so late into the night/morning and won't have to have support staff on duty round-the clock?

Cathy

I suppose that makes sense, but they'll need busses or something, won't they? I don't think those boats can carry everyone in a reasonable amount of time, can they? If I stayed at an MK/monorail resort, I'd be put out if I couldn't get easy transportation back to the resort (especially at those prices). I guess if the demand isn't there and they can accommodate it with the boats, that's great. With bad weather, though.....yikes!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Before I believe something like that, I'd want to know what the source of the information is. Info posted on random website (random to me anyway) by people I don't know and no reference to where they're getting the info from doesn't do it for me.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I'm with cstephens on this. It seems to be a completely stupid move, so I'm having a hard time believing this is actually going to happen. We'll see.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And what about after the Parties??? Like MNSSHP and MVMCP? That would be dreadful!!! We've been to both and the monorails are simply packed!!!!! What's next? The ferry's and boats? Uggg! I hope not!

Stephanie

- James Taylor

Doesn't this only affect those who stay on-site who don't make use of the buses?

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    Doesn't this only affect those who stay on-site who don't make use of the buses?
    For the parties, it affects anyone who drives as well, because now they will HAVE to take the Ferry to the TTC when they leave the party.

I agree, though, it just doesn't seem like a well thought out policy.
    Cathy

I read on another site some speculation from former CM's that what they might be doing is shutting down the express monorail (that runs directly from the TTC to the MK), leaving the resort monorail running. No word on whether this is really the case or not, but this would make a lot more sense.

- James Taylor

THAT would be workable.

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    And what about after the Parties??? Like MNSSHP and MVMCP? That would be dreadful!!! We've been to both and the monorails are simply packed!!!!! What's next? The ferry's and boats? Uggg! I hope not!
    Yup, that answered my question: This change will affect those using the evening Extra Magic Hours for now as well as those attending Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, should the early bedtime continue into the Fall. For alternative means of transportation, seek out bus travel and the ferry (for return to the TTC and all resorts they reach to).

Stephanie

Hmmm.....

I don't pretend to have any idea why this has changed, but one thing certainly doesn't make sense. How could this be "In response" to the death of two years ago, where late hours "might" have been a contributing factor?

The *exact* same thing could be said for bus and ferry drivers, no? I mean, what? Only monorail drivers are subject to night fatigue? Not Ferry drivers, or bus drivers, or taxi drivers, or guest drivers?

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Yeah, after reading the update on this today (on MPlanet), I still think it's a bad idea. They'd better have a plan B for busses in case of storms!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    The *exact* same thing could be said for bus and ferry drivers, no? I mean, what? Only monorail drivers are subject to night fatigue? Not Ferry drivers, or bus drivers, or taxi drivers, or guest drivers?
    TOTALLY all drivers are subject to fatigue - and I presume that all drivers (monorail, bus, and ferry) are scheduled appropriately for the hours they need to work - but I was thinking more of the additional specialized support staff that the monorail requires (i.e., the guys that were at the offsite restaurant, or wherever when they were supposed to be monitoring switches and such) and that Disney said they'd hire and have on staff:

In August 2010, Disney announced changes to its monorail staffing in the wake of the crash.

The company said it would hire Central Monorail Controllers to oversee traffic on all monorail tracks.

That person's job is to focus solely on watching the trains instead of having other tasks to perform.

Prior to the new position, control of the monorail rotated between a group of monorail coordinators.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/themeparks/27344...#ixzz1Rpr72XNP
    I was also thinking it was more recently that the Mother's lawsuit had been settled (the quote above is from a March article announcing the dismissal of the suit because they'd settled) - and that maybe this was a concession Disney made in that settlement.

(And it sure doesn't feel like it was 2 years ago that Austin Wuennenberg died. I thought it was just a year ago)
    Cathy

I was told my a co-worker that they are going to be fixing some "issues" with the monorails and will need time to fix them up, so this will be temporary.I hope so because a lot of people like to stay @ the monorail resorts fir this luxury alone. And they TOTALLY pay enough for it!

**Kristin**
    You just have to have it in you... the MAGIC*

Blog Entries

I'm someone who rents a car so we don't have to use the bus system (we like to know we have a seat at the end of the day. Plus we go offsite a lot), and I am hoping that the boat isn't overcrowded. One time I rode the boat after Wishes with my fiances family and it was so crowded it scared me! I felt like I was going to be trampled.

Kristin

Thumbs down What?!

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Gosh, there have been many bone-headed moves and awful excuses at WDW over the years, but this may take the cake. Disney neither cares about its guests, its "show" or the environment. (Have you ever stood next to one of those smog-belching buses?) It also doesn't care about its cast members, putting even MORE drivers to work at super-late hours and filling up the roads. I've read of more incidents with buses than I have with Monorails ... but I guess a bus is cheaper for Disney to replace. Way to go, new WDW exec team! Your first decision out of the gate set the tone for the future -- it's going to be a sad, sad state of affairs at WDW by this time next year, but, hey as long as Disney makes more money at it, who cares? The investors are happy, the rich get richer, and the people who scrimp and save to stay at a WDW resort hotel get reamed.

What an AWFUL, AWFUL decision that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, any way you look at it!

Yeah , I am not really happy with this change at all. Especially makes the appeal of staying on the loop less. So when we come back to the Poly at 2am from EMH, we are gonna have to take the boat or bus. That stinks. When you and your kids are tired, you want that quick monorail ride and off to bed. Just my little opinion.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

I think I read in the Orlando Sentinel that this was for maintainance (sp??) of the monorails. I hope it's temporary.