Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: The Next Food Network Star-2011

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

The Next Food Network Star-2011

So, anyone else watching this?

I actually like several of the players this time--Orchid, Whitney, Justin (the one left), Jeff, Jill.

However, I absolutely DETEST Penny! Hopefully Food Network is smart enough to know how unlikeable a personality she is and get her out soon!

I am all for strong, confident women but she is just a nightmare! Looks like there is going to be some fireworks over her next week!

"Bringing sexy back to the kitchen"? "Middle Eastern Mama"? Gag.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I started it, and then they changed the name and I didn't notice (it's now just Food Network Star) so I missed a few episodes, and am trying to catch up (but they don't repeat it as often as other cable shows). I haven't really gotten to know the contestants quite enough.

Cathy

Blog Entries

I watched the last 40-45 minutes of Sunday's show. I'm with you on Penny, Toocherie. She comes across as a very unpleasant person - there's no way I'd watch her for 1/2 hour on purpose. I have enough trouble stomaching Ina Garten. I'll have to watch a few more episodes to decide who I like & who I don't.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

I actually kind of like Penny. It's Jyll who makes me gag. So smug and wooden in her delivery. But then it's all in the editing. My favorite is Vic.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. ~~Marcus Aurelius

I'm voting for Orchid. She is down to earth and I like the food she prepares. I belong to a fb group and one of the gals knows her. Her daughter and Orchid's sister are best friends.

Siggy aka Jill

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Well, my opinion on Penny stands. I really think Jyll (and to some extent Suzie) are the only ones brave enough to stand up to her. Penny is a domineering person who thinks she can do no wrong (and for some reason thinks she's sexy . . . really?) Penny's little cat call was totally unprofessional and out of place. At least Jyll and Suzie are polite and are trying to tell her that Penny brings it on herself . . . .

that being said--I was disappointed in last Sunday's person leaving--I did like her but I can see why the decision was made the way it was. I like Vic a lot too. I like Jeff too--despite his mis-step last week. Of the ladies, I like Mary Beth's personality a lot but don't think she has the cooking skills to make it past some of the others. Whitney has the skill, but not the personality. Suzie I think has both--I'm just tired of Latin-inspired cooking having grown up in SoCal.

I would really like someone with a Middle Eastern cooking background--just not Penny.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Suzie I think has both--I'm just tired of Latin-inspired cooking having grown up in SoCal.
    I find it kind of annoying that the judges seem to keep telling her "No no no, you stay in that pretty little Latin box you have there. Don't diversify your cooking, just stick to Mexican food." Why not let her spread her wings a little bit and add her Latin flair to some more standard recipes? I guess if she plays her cards right, though, and does what they guide her to, she could win it.... and change it up once she actually has her own show.

Another favorite thing is when people get sent home and they sign off with "This isn't the last you've seen of me!" It's like "Ummmmm... we barely even see the people who have WON the previous seasons, much less the ones who were sent packing!" (with the exception of Guy Fieri, of course).
    "You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries

I've started to get invested in this show since my wife started watching, but it annoyed me that the judges eliminated Orchid, as they seemed to set her up to fail over the episode. What's more, as was pointed out elsewhere online, why Penny is still there is vexing. How many people would want to watch a show starring a person who (if we're to believe the argument at the end wasn't edited too much) resorts to making cat noises when someone challenges her? Very frustrating. I'm on board with Vic or Suzie winning the whole thing.

Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

Unhappy Unfortunately, I think it's because they like Penny's food!!

We both were so disappointed that Orchid was sent home! We thought for sure it was going to be Whitney! I wish it had been Penny, given her ridiculous actions at the judging, in addition to her overall behavior! I couldn't believe it when Mary Beth ended up on the same team with her - again!! Orchid's appearance on the show reminded us of a woman in Aarti's season, who did really well (I forget her name, but I think she cooked Italian food), right at the beginning and a couple of episodes after, but then fell to the bottom, couldn't handle the pressure and was sent home.

It was a shame that Orchid was on the team with Jyll and Vic. They didn't do anything to include her at all and I'm sure she felt left out, so she didn't come on as strong in her personality, given her competion in her own team.

We haven't liked Penny from the start, when her POV was bringing sexy back, with stillettos in the kitchen, or whatever it was! We really hope she doesn't win. I think she's still there for the drama factor!

Vic is OK, but do we need another Guy Fieri basically? I like Mary Beth's personality, but I guess her food isn't very good. I don't know who to root for now, there are so many I don't like this time!!

Karen W2

Blog Entries

Yay - no more Penny!

I saw the first 1/2 hour or so, and the last 5 minutes -- still haven't seen the middle part (actually saw the end of the 9pm broadcast before I saw the beginning of the 12am broadcast).

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Nope - it never ends.

Blog Entries

I almost wish Penny's last episode had been filled with more fireworks regarding her, as opposed to Chris having to deal with sharing an oven and Wolfgang Puck showing Jill how to make risotto. (Which, by the way, was ridiculous; if no one told Puck that these eight chefs had minimal ingredients to work with--something I doubt is actually necessary for a future TV show host, as their kitchens will be stocked to the gills--then he was doubly rude for doing what he did.) But still, glad to see her leave.

Check out the Mousterpiece Cinema podcast on iTunes, on Twitter, on Facebook, or on the show's blog!

I'm no fan of Jyll so I loved Wolfgang showing her how to correctly make risotto. And he used ingredients from the very same kitchen.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. ~~Marcus Aurelius

YES! Exactly the two people that I wanted to go home were sent packing. I am a very happy girl!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

In years past there was only 1 or 2 that I really liked. This year I really like most of them that are left. I would like to see Jeff win, but I am thinking it might be Suzy seems like they like her a lot. I was sad to see Orchid go, she started so strong.

Blog Entries

Thoughts on the last episode? I'm still glad to see Vic and Susie remaining in the top four, but I just don't get Jeff. I get, kind of, why he'd work on Food Network for some people, but I find him overbearing and sometimes obnoxious. (And I'd buy him more as a former clown, not a stand-up comic. Just seems like a big, goofy teddy bear of a guy, at best.)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeff totally fits the mold of some of their recent personalities they've added - and his pov of sandwiches is unique AND easy to understand/sell/etc.

I kind of wanted Mary Beth to go, and not Whitney. But Whitney's comment during the 'Roast' totally explained SOOO much as to why I liked her approach -- her first career was in Engineering! Engineers have 'a way' of looking at things that doesn't change just because they change careers.

Cathy

Blog Entries

I can definitely see Jeff on Food Network (and let's be honest, Mary Beth is probably leaving next week, rightly so), I just don't know that I want to see him on Food Network. Vic and Susie are both really likable without being too in-my-face. Of course, the only Food Network Star winner to make it huge is Guy Fieri, who is as in-my-face as it gets, IMO.

For some reason I just don't like Susie. Don't really dislike her either. I like Vic and his Mama's Boy concept but Jeff is really starting to grow on me. Bye, bye Mary Beth.

Blog Entries

Whenever the judges told Whitney that she had to show her true personality, I kept wondering: "What if that IS her true personality & she's been showing it all along?" I thought her "Four Star" approach thing was pretty dumb.

I find Mary Beth somewhat annoying. She often seems hyper/manic & a little scary. I don't necessarily mind the analytical thing she does -- but it doesn't combine well with her hyperactivity & the way she circles her hands around when she talks.

Susie doesn't do it for me, either. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe I just don't care enough about cooking my own Mexican food when I can easily go to any of a number of restaurants in SoCal for yummy Mexican food.

I like both Vic & Jeff. Mario Batali hasn't been on Food Network much lately (or not at hours when I'm watching), so I can see the "need" for another Italian cooking show (perhaps something Southern Italian -- heavier and earthier than Giada's Northern Italian fare, which always appeals to me). I hope Vic takes the "drop Vic Vegas" thing to heart. I'd watch him as Mama's Boy. As far as Jeff goes, can & should everything be made into a sandwich? I'm not so sure ... but I'd likely watch at least a few episodes to see how the concept plays out.

Nope - it never ends.

Blog Entries

I think Vic is probably the strongest contestant still left, but as I said before, I do like Susie. I'm pretty sure Mario Batali's completely gone from Food Network (unless you're watching an old Iron Chef America), which is disappointing. He's one of my favorite Food Network stars; he has a personality and a specific view on food, but he's not obnoxious about it.