Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: My Disney Top 5-Top 5 Restaurants I Still Haven't Experienced in Walt Dis

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: My Disney Top 5-Top 5 Restaurants I Still Haven't Experienced in Walt Dis

My Disney Top 5-Top 5 Restaurants I Still Haven't Experienced in Walt Disney World by Chris Barry

Chris Barry is back with his monthly Disney Top 5 list.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

An excellent article (although you cheated by listing THREE restaurants in the Animal Kingdom Lodge as one choice!). Food is one of the main reasons I vacation at WDW, and I've by now enjoyed almost all of the restaurants on property. Every trip I try to experience a restaurant that's new to me. Last trip in May the new restaurant for me was Narcoosee's, and it turned out to be a wonderful choice, with great food, really nice and relaxed service, and a beautiful view of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

But I do agree with your number 1 choice. I've always wanted to dine at V&A's, but as a single park stormer it's not really a great option right now. One of these days when I do a visit with a friend or family member, perhaps I'll finally pull the trigger and enjoy one of the finest restaurants in the World (and the world!). Till that day I'll be very happy with a windowside seat at the California Grill, watching the sun set over the Magic Kingdom while I enjoy my spicy sushi platter and look forward to my bbq marinated beef tenderloin - YUMMM!!!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

No Boma??? No Zebra Domes???

(Disclaimer: I really don't mean the next sentence to sound condescending so don't read it that way-) I think it's so funny that people have such different experiences. From day one of planning, Boma was possibly the one MUST DO on my list for WDW. Ok, that and Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe. Who am I kidding?

But, anyway. I'm seriously sad that you've never been to Boma. I don't think I had the watermelon rind salad but the other salads and meats and rices and soups and ZEBRA DOMES... oh, I love Boma.

Chris: Do Boma. Change some other plan for this summer. Just do it.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

Thanks Dan. I felt that since I haven't been to ANY of the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants that they could pass as one choice.

So far, on this upcoming trip we're finally going to hit 'Ohana. We have a dinner at the Grand Floridian Cafe. Nothing too fancy, but we still haven't been there yet. We're also eating at Via Napoli. So, only one off of my Top 5 list, but I'm working my way up.

Thanks for the kind words.

Chris

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    No offense taken. No condescension detected. I know. It's hard to believe I haven't been there. It's looking like we're going to add a few nights to this summer's trip, so perhaps we'll make a stop at the Lodge a MUST DO.

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

Re the jacket for V&A's: this worked out best for me when we were at WDW before going on a cruise, so I had my "formal night" getup already. Otherwise I would never bring a dress jacket. It also might depend on the time of year you visit; my range is late fall to early spring, so the weather tends to be not as awful as it might be. And since we always, always, always have a car getting from the hotel room to the restaurant is not so bad and there's A/C all the way. I would be less likely to do it if I had to rely on Disney transport.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

With all due respect to the Grand Floridian Cafe, you would be far better off at Boma. The Grand Floridian Cafe is usually an easy reservation, even when others are taken. Been there, ate - it was good. But not the same as the Boma. If not staying at AK Lodge, go there early. We go after the AK park closes, not long after the great parade.

Staying at the Polynesian (or the Contemporary) the Grand Floridian and V & A is an air conditioned monorail ride away, so taking a jacket there would not be a problem. The only issue would be remembering to pack one since it is not the usual WDW apparel. You did say you were staying at the Poly.

No Boma or Ohana???

Disney World is a 15 minute drive from my house and I was one of the first to take advantage of the "Dining in Wonderland" program. Also being an annual pass holder, I made it a quest to go to every major dining experience on property.

I am sorry to inform you Dan that you have missed what I think are THE top 4 dining experiences on property.

While Blue Zoo is very good, there are better. It's not "special" from any other find dining experience anywhere else in the country. It's not a "must see".

Without scolding you too much, there is no excuse for you not to have been to "Ohana" or "Boma". Both are fairly moderately priced are both easy to get reservations for. I consider those two the best values for what you get on WDW property.

But, I can see not getting to Victoria and Alberts and Le Cellier. Both are very difficult to get into.

But be aware, Victoria and Alberts is a true five star fine dining experience that only the epicurean on vacation may want to take in. It's has quite a hefty price tag and expect to spend no less that $100 per person (without wine), plus there is a dress code where men must wear jackets. Only a true "foody" would probably want to go here and is not a place you are going to want to take the kids.

Your next trip you NEED to at least go to Boma and Ohana for sure. No excuses. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jimthedj View Post
    I am sorry to inform you Dan that you have missed what I think are THE top 4 dining experiences on property.
    Umm, Dan here, and I didn't write the article. I think you meant to address Chris.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    I've enjoyed more than one meal at Boma. On my first visit I got a couple of zebra domes, and after reading so much about them online I was prepared for a really special thing. And I found out that zebra domes are . . . umm, basically chocolate marshmallow things. Not bad, but overall they didn't do it for me. But more power to you, Adrienne, if you really love 'em.
    - James Taylor

Smile Kona Cafe

We just recently got back from a stay in the Poly and ate at the Kona Cafe for both breakfast and dinner. While the breakfast was good, especially when compared to the quick service at Captain Cooks, which was HORRIBLE, the dinner at Kona Cafe was EXCELLENT and I highly recommend trying it. We are also a fan of Boma and try and eat there every time we go to Disney, it is really good and you must try it sometime! "Have a Magical Trip!"

This is a great article.

Boma!!!

Although getting over to and from AK in the evening can be a bit of a chore, the Boma buffet is ridiculous. When they give you the little buzzer to let you know when your table is ready they should give you a pair of sweatpants too 'cause if you're wearing anything with a belt you're in for trouble. The carving station is fantastic, I haven't been able to pinpoint the seasoning on the wood roasted meats but its awesome, and there is a sweet potato dish is called FuFu that has me embarrassing myself it is so good. I would have no problem pushing old people and children out of the way if they're slowing down my line, lol. There are menu changes daily, but I have never been disappointed and its one of my favorite dining experiences in all of Disney. As far as Le Celier, it is terrific, but there's really nothing you're going to experience there that you cannot find at home. Our Disney dining choices are usually keeping in line with things we can't do at home, and something like Boma is going to be a rare find almost anywhere. Don't get me wrong, have eaten at Le Celier numerous times and I never complain when someone brings me a filet the size of a nerf football.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLoon View Post
    With all due respect to the Grand Floridian Cafe, you would be far better off at Boma.
    We booked the Grand Floridian Cafe, simply because we want a simple easy meal the night we arrive. The evening we get there, the Magic Kingdom is open late. We figured we would walk over to the Grand Floridian from the Poly, have a nice quick dinner and then hop the monorail on over to the MK for a late night.

We are now adding some nights so I'm looking into Boma for one of them.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jpg391 View Post
    This is a great article.
    Thanks very much.

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 3colliers View Post
    We just recently got back from a stay in the Poly and ate at the Kona Cafe for both breakfast and dinner. While the breakfast was good, especially when compared to the quick service at Captain Cooks, which was HORRIBLE, the dinner at Kona Cafe was EXCELLENT and I highly recommend trying it.... "Have a Magical Trip!"
    We loved the Kona and will probably eat there again on this trip at least once.

Thank you...we will have a magical trip!

MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jimthedj View Post
    Your next trip you NEED to at least go to Boma and Ohana for sure. No excuses. :-)
    For some reason, this was the first trip that I DIDN"T get shut out of 'Ohana. I always get shut out there. Just my luck or timing, I guess. But this trip, like I said, I have a breakfast and dinner reservation there, no excuses!!!

Okay, another great article!

We always try new restaurants on every WDW trip. We have only repeated two restaurants: Sci-Fi Dine In (because my oldest daughter absolutely LOVES this place) and Le Cellier (because my whole family absolutely LOVES this place).

I agree with your take on the Swan and Dolphin. I have never been to either of them because they just don't look "Disney" enough for me...so I can't wait to hear if you try out the restaurant at the Dolphin.

Le Cellier was such a hit with my family that we actually ate there twice in one trip! Cheddar cheese soup, breads, and steak...super yummy!

'Ohana was really great! We ate there during the MK fireworks one night. It was perfect! My youngest would have nothing to do with fireworks, but since she couldn't hear the loud booms, she had her nose pressed against the window watching the entire show! Oh yeah, the food was awesome. No one in my family likes bananas, but we were fighting over that dessert...and yes, we had to roll our way out after all that yummy food!

We tried Boma our last trip. We thought it was good, but we don't really feel like we have to go back. It was fun to try the different dishes. It is also nice to walk around the resort after dinner. (Tip: If you ride a bus over there, don't get off at the first stop. Boma is at the second stop! ) Also, an older couple was sitting by us celebrating their anniversay. As we were all trying the zebra domes, she asked me if I knew they had alcohol in them...seeing how I was letting my kids eat them. I still don't know if they really have alcohol in them or not...

We have never tried Victoria and Albert's. Not really on my short list. We always have the kids with us so we never really wanted to "torture" them with that long of a meal with the parks so close.

That is what is so great about WDW...so many yummy choices!!!
    Thanks again for a great article!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymom5 View Post
    As we were all trying the zebra domes, she asked me if I knew they had alcohol in them...seeing how I was letting my kids eat them. I still don't know if they really have alcohol in them or not...
    According to wdwinfo.com - "The secret ingredient is Amarula Liquor." But don't worry - I don't think your kids will become skid row alcoholics because they had a liqueur in their dessert.
    - James Taylor

'Ohana is one restaurant that I have wanted to eat dinner at and never fit in our schedule. Soon, hopefully. My family loves Boma--and Zebra Domes. Dan, I'm pretty sure there is no marshmallow in them, but to each their own preferences. Every trip to Orlando we stop at AKL and go to the fast food case to buy a 5 pack of Zebra Domes per person, sometimes more, we love them so much. I also favor the FuFu and have heard great things about the potatoes with Afretude, (spelling?), but they didn't serve them when we ate there.

Quote Originally Posted by SuefromRI View Post
    ....Zebra Domes. Dan, I'm pretty sure there is no marshmallow in them....
    Really? I guess that's just how I remember them. They weren't bad at all, just not as OHMYGODMYMOUTHISINHEAVEN incredible as some people make them out to be, at least for me. I do really like Boma, though!
    - James Taylor