Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A Grand Circle Tour [Day Trips 2011]

Trip 30: November 9
    Time: 4:15 to 8:00 [DLP 4:15 to 6:30] [DCA 6:30 to 8:00]
    Cast/crew: Nancy(4), Roy(6), and myself(35)

When the kids hear the official launch of Disneyland Christmas is five days away and yet they may get to see decorations staged a few days early, they feel they're part of some exclusive sneak peek or something. So it was with the Christmas Tree. We simply had to stop and get a picture. Same deal as when we first saw the pumpkin at Halloween Time. For me it doesn't get any finer than the purple/gold/green/blue bulbs overhanging and lining New Orleans Square, and the masquerade perched in a wreath of bulbs. I stopped and stared, took it in and smiled.

The kids finished an up and down on Tarzan's Tree House. I was eager to ride Jungle Cruise but it must've been shortstaffed or something. We took one look at the line (which is never that long) and moved on. Shopped a bit at South Sea Traders/ AL Bazzaar. The night's rideology was typical: Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion Holiday, and BTMRR.

The kids were eager to get to DCA but I was adamant we give Matterhorn a look, which was a roundabout excuse to walk up Big Thunder Trail and peak at the lights at Santa's Ranch. Very merry. Some elves (no, these were actually plainclothes employees but I kid) were hanging and decorating things behind the rope. Very exciting. Best of all, although no reindeer were in sight, the smell of reindeer (or some garden variety barn animal) was unmistakable. Wait, that's a bad thing after all. Yuk. Well, the kids love the reindeer so it's a plus, right? But again, the smell.

So Matterhorn had a single track operating. No thanks. On to DCA. The final 90 minutes at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail? Really, kids? Seriously? No. I vetoed that plan. We struck a compromise. I'd give 'em the final 45 at Redwood and they could choose from a list of choices I laid out for the first 45. They selected Animation Building and Animation Academy. They played together down in the library/workshop while I relaxed and enjoyed the animation (particularly Lion King and Tangled) playing on the big screens.
    Not sure if this is a seasonal only thing, but we lucked into an academy session on Jack Skellington. The novelty of AA never wears off. DCA's best kept secret.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

Trip 31: November 20
    Time: 8:15am to 12:15 [DLP 8:15 to 10:30] [DCA 10:30 to 12:15]
    Cast/crew: Nancy(4) and myself(35)

Anaheim was slightly cool, damp, and occasionally drizzly this morning. I held out hope for an early opening of PoTC, but no such luck. We began the day on BTMRR and HMH. We started to walk toward Critter Country when I said How bout Fantasyland? That idea coincided with Nancys interests, so we did an about face and headed that way. While there, we rode King Arthurs Carousel, Mr. Toads, and Teacups.

Along Big Thunder Trail, we were in line around 9:45 for Santas Reindeer Roundup which opens at 10:00 daily. We were about 15th in line to see Santa. Nancy was excited, I think, to see Santa alone without big brother for once but I noticed she was also a little timid when it came time to talk to him. No sign yet of Mrs. Claus but Pluto was on hand donning antlers. We looked at the reindeer and colored for a bit at the tables there.

We tooled around a little in Animation Building, then collaborated on a sketch of Mickey Mouse in Animation Academy. To my surprise, Nancy suggested Tower of Terror. We rode Tower and Monsters Inc., then grabbed a popcorn for the road.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Trip 32: November 22
    Time: 8:25 to 1:30 [DLP 8:25 to 11:20] [DCA 11:20 to 1:30]
    Cast/crew: Walt(7 months), Nancy(4), Roy(6), Kim(33), and myself(35)

Dear mother in law and two nephews (ages 7 and 9) joined us for a grand holiday tour. The park was bustling with Christmas cheer and excitement. The sun shone. Air, crisp. Garland. Wreaths. Bells. Ambient music. Red & green. Kids brimming with excitement. The mild early crowds belied the ones I knew were approaching. For dear wife and me to marshal 5 children and grandmother to and from far reaches of the Magic Kingdom without waiting in lines and getting bogged down in the throng all within 5 hours would require timing and a little luck. This was a true working trip more than ever. DMIL remarked she loves coming to DLand with us because, essentially, we do everything for everyone.

From the turnstiles I trekked directly back to Splash Mountain and then BTMRR for a couple sets of FPs and hustled over to Fantasyland just in time to see the four kids and Kim board the Mad Tea Party. DMIL and I admired from the rail with baby. The two ladies and baby rested in a nice spot in front of Matterhorn and did some baby maintenance; the kids and I left them there and made it to the Toon Town gate ten minutes before opening. We were the second group to board Gadgets Go Coaster.

Since the kids were psyched to see Santa, we agreed to make the 10 oclock opening of Santas Reindeer Roundup a priority; first wed squeeze in a couple rides ... Our 9:15 BTMRR FPs now mature, the two ladies and four kids went aboard while baby and I made a run for HMH FPs. Then I traded with DW, whisked the kids away to Splash Mountain, and hurried back to rejoin DW, MIL, and baby and enter Santas Reindeer Roundup right at 10:00. Whew, that was close.

It was a momentous occasion for a few reasons. Not only was it Walts first Santa visit, it was also his 7-month day. To think, his first park visit came at 7 weeks. It was so recent yet so long ago. He crawls, he teeths, he sits up now. Wheres the time go? Santa was great. One of the boys asked for a dirtbike, to which Santa deadpanned I didnt know they made bikes out of dirt. We reveled in the whole Reindeer Roundup atmosphere for a while. Coloring. Reindeer gazing. Pics with Pluto. Stuff like that.

DW has little use for HMH, so she gladly headed with baby to the Emporium. Kids were jonesing for goodies so we stopped in New Orleans Square for refreshments. Four churros, a dozen beignets, and two coffees later we were one happy, dough filled, sugar hyped crew of Haunted Mansion Holiday riders. On the walk back through NOS and AL, kids couldnt resist a climb up Tarzans Tree House; I sent DMIL ahead to shop with Kim and Walt at the Emporium while I chaperoned.

Not long after, we were DCA bound but evidently the sugar fix did little to abate hunger cuz everyone was fixated on lunch. Taste Pilots was the perfect crowd pleaser. Nephews were interested in two rides primarily: Goofys Sky School and California Screamin. So while everyone ate I hunted down fastpasses for both. I called back to DW to advise avoiding the GC/Grizzly River corridor altogether it was nearly impassable. They took the advice and we met up in Bugs Land. Francis Ladybug Boogie (what else?) beckoned the group, including Walt. It was his only ride of the day.

Nancy, two nephews, and I rode Goofys. Then Nancy rode Ariels with her grandma while Roy, two nephews, and I rode California Screamin. There. Done. With hardly a minute to spare. My kids love their cousins dearly and enjoy few things more than a Disney day with them. It was a great time.

Trip 33: December 1
    Time: 4:45 to 7:15 [DCA 4:45 to 7:15]

We covered about every inch of Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. You name it, we tried it. As usual, the kids had to be nearly dragged away. Goofys Sky School was a nice follow up though. We got on Silly Symphony Swings and couldve stayed indefinitely; rode three times consecutive. Theres hardly ever a short line for Mickeys Fun Wheel but tonight was an exception. We couldnt possibly pass it up. Kids insisted on some window shopping next to the Midway Games, then we headed to and rode King Tritons carousel. Great time. Then the great time came to a screeching halt. Having been a little hyper and careless when we visited the Midway Games area, turns out Roy managed to lose his cap. We returned to search but there was no trace of. By the way, the CMs were outstanding (story for another thread) in trying to help us get our item back. Stuff gets lost, sure, however, Roy and I had several discussions leading up like this: OK make sure the cap is on your head, or in the bag. No carrying the cap. If you do, youll lose it. And, he lost it.

I broke one of my cardinal Disneyland rules, which is dont sweat the small stuff (and short of someones safety being threatened, its all small stuff). I allowed one minor mishap to ruin the evening. Worst of all, I was fully aware I was making a bad situation worse. Yet I refused to flip the switch and say OK, well deal with it later. But while were here lets have fun. Im not a yeller or much of a scolder but I made it clear to Roy through my silence and expressions that I was not at all pleased. It was a regrettable episode in parenting. If ever there was need for a reset button at DLR this was such an occasion. We were there for a maiden voyage on the new Pirates of the Caribbean, but between riding it upset and packing it in early to head home, I chose the latter. Still not sure which was the better choice. The regret ate away at me for a few days until I decided to break another rule by heading to DLR on a Sunday afternoon three days later. Told my wife I was a jerk. I have to redeem myself

Trip 34: December 4
    Time: 4:15 to 8:45 [DLP 4:15 to 8:45]

Walking the 200 feet from turnstiles to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln took a record setting 10 minutes. The skeptic in me mightve thought Annnd this is why I dont come here Sunday afternoons. Its packed to the gills! but there was a little more to it than that. The bottleneck had something to do with the Candlelight Processional setup in Town Square.

Hearing the Reindeer Roundup wasnt open much past dark, the kids wanted to go immediately there. We bypassed the Santa line to view the reindeer. The CM standing in the pen near us was a great sport, as Nancy asked what seemed like a thousand questions about the reindeer; she answered every last one and made up some really cute responses. I really appreciated it. Roy busied himself with some coloring, then sister joined in. First ride: BTMRR, what else?

Reindeer Roundup and Thunder Mtn. were merely opening acts for the headliner: Pirates of the Caribbean. Although I anticipated keeping my eyes peeled for every nuance of the refurb, honestly it was nice to sit and relax and take in the **sigh** home again feeling of being back at last. My dad and I rode Pirates about four times without getting off one night when I was about Roys age, so I partly feel like a kid again whenever Im on it.

Winnie the Pooh and Haunted Mansion Holiday followed PotC. Had a Jungle Cruise guide with a unique delivery who elicited several belly laughs. Ive always preferred Jungle Cruise during the day but seem to encounter the very best guides at night. We picked up a turkey leg in the hub and carried it to Pizza Port where the kids ordered one of their favorites: chicken fusilli pasta. The kids are also fans of the turkey so we shared three ways. Well, Nancy eats like a bird so it was left to Roy and me to polish off most of the feast, which we did. Time for one more ride, then Candlelight. By the Nemo Subs lagoon we could see the Small World lighting from a distance and decided to ride Small World, but the kids had a change of heart when we reached the ride and saw the line. We settled for Toads.

We squeezed into a tiny spot under the rope for Candlelight Processional a few minutes after it started at 8:00. It was like nothing the kids couldve expected. I purposely didnt tell them much about Candlelight because I wanted them to form their own opinions. They loved it. Music. Lighting. Storytelling. Candlelight has it all. I employed the same strategy we use at WoC, which is to alternate holding kids for one song at a time. Its exhausting but as long the kids are enthralled by the show I dont mind. Candlelight is an exceptional experience and a great and memorable way for us to celebrate Christmas.

Trip 35: December 11
    Time: 8:25 to 1:00 [DLP 8:25 to 10:10] [DCA 10:10 to 1:00]

Back to bread and butter early am Sunday morning. For a few hours, the lines are short. The parks a playground. Astro Orbiter is one of those rides we get on only a handful of times a year despite its looming presence at TLs entrance. Today the kids chose this first. Kim rode; I watched from the rail with Walt. Space Mountain was next up for the older two kids and me. What a blast. It seemed awful fast today. And exhilarating. Come to think of it, its been a while since weve seen/rode Space Mountain and much of Tomorrowland for that matter. Our trips lately have been stuck in a pattern of New Orleans Sq. and Frontierland, and then some combination FantasyLand/Critter Country/Frontierland. It was a breath of fresh air to be in Tomorrowland.

On the previous trip wed really wanted to ride its a small world Holiday but it didnt work out, so it was near the top of todays list. Fun, fun. And a great ride for the baby. He got an eyeful. Dear wife and I were so caught up watching him, we missed most of the ride. Dawned on me that iaswHoliday is one of DLRs best Christmas offerings. A little browsing at Bibbidi Bobbidi preceded a ride down Mainstreet on a horseless carriage.

Once in DCA we unanimously agreed to hit up Taste Pilots, but found they serve breakfast the first hour. This wouldve been fine for Kim and me, but the kids arent breakfast burrito connoisseurs so we moved on temporarily. Kim took Nancy on Goofys Sky School, then Roy on Mickeys Fun Wheel, then Nancy on King Tritons. Walt and I were content playing peek-a-boo and the such on a park bench. Roy and I boarded California Screamin. Woo-hoo. It may well still be his favorite ride and its pretty high up on my list too. Sissy is gonna love, love, love it when shes tall enough.

OK, now on to Taste Pilots for lunch. Roy popped a kids cheeseburger meal down like it was a tic tac. Hes growing like a weed and his 7th birthday is fast approaching. When asked if he got enough to eat, surprisingly he said No. Wife and I looked at each other she said what we both were thinking: His days of kids meals may be numbered. Yep. Lifes rites of passage. Right here in front of your eyes at the DLR.

Turtle Talk with Crush is a family favorite. I sat on the carpet with the three kids. Nancy got to talk to Crush. If you ever have the chance to ask him a question, I recommend What are the names of your kids? I once heard a young lady ask him this and so I convinced Nancy to do it today. I wont spoil the details and now Ive probably built it up too much but anyway, once again Crushs response had most in the gallery especially the adults in stitches. Apologies if it doesnt live up to the hype but in my opinion its hilarious. Crush claims to have some 64 or so kids. If he doesnt spout off 64 names (whos counting?) he comes pretty close. Crush then asked Nancy about her siblings and she claimed her two brothers but quickly changed the topic to Crushs favorite color. It wasnt lost on Crush who retorted Changing the topic, I see. I like your style. As always, great show.

Kids held differing opinions on the days final act, so I took Nancy on Tower of Terror, while dear wife took the two boys to Animation Academy. Roy got to draw Goofy for the first time so he was pretty stoked.

Trip 36: December 16
    Time: 7:00 to 11:10 [DCA 7:00 to 9:10] [DLP 9:10 to 11:10]

The queues are not something I typically stop to notice, but Soarin Over Californias queue is exceptional. The history. The hangar. The music. Soarin is a great experience and it starts long before Patrick advises Have a nice flight. Dear daughters enthusiasm for Animation Academy seems to wax and wane. As I write this, it finally registers that shes most enthusiastic when big brothers not around. Just five days earlier he suggested going and she wasnt the slightest bit interested. Its probably no coincidence. She either doesnt care to compete or prefers my undivided attention, who knows. Anyway, she wasnt taking no for an answer tonight. We showed up to draw Piglet but were about 25 minutes early ..

We ventured out into Electronica. Nancy danced until a hoola hoop became available. We headed into Monsters Inc. Never have I seen so few cars or people on that ride. It was movin so swift it didnt even stop for the old lady monster thing at the end to give us the business. She said Have a nice night as we motored by. I told the CM I hoped itd ask me for a churro. Apparently shes not hungry the CM fired back. Touche. Nancy did more dancing and hoola hooping, then for our date at Animation Academy. We worked together on Piglet. At the end the artist announced Sir this sketch is for you and the little girl on your lap and gave us the rendition hed done for the class. How cool is that? Nancy was sure it was her reward for doing such a good job, and I concurred.

We rode Tower of Terror, then finished up in Bugs Land on Francis Ladybug Boogie. Four times we rode without getting off. We mightve kept going had the park not closed and they shooed us away. DCA was magical .

DLP, not so magical at first. Blame it on us for waiting til 9 pm to eat. There were a few times I nearly stopped in DCA at Award Weiners for a couple dogs for us but we kept pressing on doing other things. Not getting food in DCA was a mistake. Had I been thinking straight I woulda stopped for a couple dogs at Coke Corner but pressed on further for a baked potato from the Troubador. But alas, its closed. No prob. Village Haus. Oh nevermind. Closed. Rancho Del Zocalo. Closed. Hungry Bear. Closed. There were several places still open at 9 Pizza Port, Stagedoor, River Belle Terrrace, the place that serves soup next to Pirates queue, the other place that serves soup right by where they park the Sailing Ship Columbia. They just didnt happen to be places we wanted and in hindsight I really dropped the ball not hitting up one of the hot dog joints. Finally we settled on sharing a Roast Beef Royale and side salad at French Market, which was about double the amount of food we needed.

As we finished up our snack that turned into dinner, Fantasmic or as Nancy calls it Micktasmic began. We watched a little before riding HMH. We narrowly beat the F! crowd onto BTMRR next. Then we got a front seat on a PotC boat. The front seat is rad. We used to always get one. We each had a couple things on the radar. Me: Jungle Cruise; her: Star Tours. And there was time enough for them both, but then abruptly Nancy said something I never thought shed utter from Disneyland: Daddy, I wanna go home. I made her say it a second time just to be sure I heard correctly. Nancy is my up-all-hours-party-like-its-1999-and-don't-leave-til-they-kick-us-outta-the-park child. So, that was a wrap.

I, too, love the Soarin' queue. I get a kick everytime because I have met one of those amazing men. Great report as always and what a great daddy.

Thank you candles71

Trip 37: December 19
    Time: 8:40 to 1:50 [DLP 8:40 to 9:50] [DCA 9:50 to 1:50]
    Cast/crew: Roy(6) and myself(35)

Was a time when Roy didnt miss a whirl on Indiana Jones Adventure. Then he got to be tall enough for California Screamin and that became the new flavor. Little sis isnt tall enough yet for IJA so that precludes it most trips since were a trio; even the trips when mom comes along and can watch little sis, theres now a baby which throws in an added wrinkle . lotta variables but long story short we dont ride it much anymore. So we went directly to IJA fastpass queue, where we were treated to a nice surprise more on that later.

Tarzans Tree House was first up. For those of us of a certain age itll always hearken to Swiss Family Robinson. We hopped right on PotC. Front seat again. Were bringin it back. Ever since he discovered them a couple months ago, Roy has been a beignets junky. So we sat down and shared a six pack. They are awful good. After a stop for another FP at Big Thunder we arrived at Indiana Jones Adventure to redeem our fastpasses and, tell me if youve heard this one before it wasnt operating. We had two sets of useless fastpasses and the lines everywhere were long. To heck with it, I thought. We high-tailed it over to DCA for some rope drop fun.

Only every so often we get on the best ride in the resort A.K.A. Toy Story Midway Mania. It wasnt going to be our day in DLP, so I wanted to do the most epic thing possible in DCA. Even though we went directly there from rope drop, we still waited 25 minutes; it was well worth it. Greatest. ride. ever. We made up for lost time by hopping immediately on California Screamin via fastpass. We stopped for a couple jaunts in Bugs Land Francis Ladybug Boogie and Heimlichs Chew Chew then arrived for Animation Academy.

We nearly about faced when the CM said Jack Skellington was the subject. I told Roy "we did that one a month ago." The CM corrected me. No, a month ago it was plain Jack Skellington. Today its Sandy Claws Jack Skellington with the Santa hat and beard. Say no more; you had me at No. When we were there for Skellington the first time I overheard the instructor commenting to someone after the show that Jacks great and all, but too simple. Well the hat and beard added very little to the complexity but its fun nonetheless. Todays instructor was a treat; he sprinkled in some Nightmare history and you could tell he was a huge Tim Burton fan and Disney animation historian.

So back to the surprise we encountered at IJA fastpass queue at 8:45am. The FP machine dispensed a couple annual passholder VIP tickets for the 12:40 Aladdin show. Weve only ever viewed the show from balcony and mezzanine so I was compelled to go, and once I told Roy it was on like Donkey Kong. The kids love the idea of exclusive access. Family in front of us in the VIP queue was sure the VIP giveaways are the result of some recent less-than-full crowds at Aladdin. I have no idea if thats accurate but it called to mind MadasaHatters perspective that perhaps Aladdin has run its course. Either way, show is great as always and seeing it from the floor second row was an altogether new and exciting deal. The genie was one wed never seen before and he left out a few signature lines and this was our first show sans the flying carpet.

Tomorrow marks our last 2011 visit and nephews and grandma are coming with. Large group. Competing interests. Not enough fastpasses. Early, early morning. Huge crowds. Parkstorming strategy is vital. Pressure is mounting.

We saw the show on Friday the 9th, it was packed as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    We saw the show on Friday the 9th, it was packed as usual.
    and there didn't seem to be any shortage of guests at our show. A matinee no less.

Trip 38: December 21
    Time: 8:20 to noon [DLP 8:20 to 10:00] [DCA 10:00 to noon]

Dear mother-in-law couldnt join the fun, but two nephews (9 & 7) could. My last post mayve sounded panicky over this trip. Thats because two days earlier Roy and I stumbled into the park 40 minutes late, lacked a plan, and just sort of got overwhelmed by it all and lost interest. I was determined not to make the same mistake twice.

With baby Walt as my wingman, I headed directly to SpM fastpass queue, ducked into The Star Trader for a gift for a friend, and crossed the hub to retrieve BTMRR FPs. Walt and I made it to Matterhorn just in time to see the rest of our party boarding the bobsleds (the days first ride). All seven of us rode iaswHoliday. Dear wife headed with the baby to NOS to 1. feed him and 2. get HMH FPs while I took kids on BTMRR. Then we got right on Space Mountain. Kim discovered HMH was shut down, and nephews werent especially interested in the two possibilities that were reasonable and required no fastpass (Jungle Cruise and PotC) so it was apparent we were DCA bound.

Once again, Walt and I headed together on a FP finding expedition while DW and kids enjoyed some rides they hit up Francis and Fliks. Then Roy and Nancy gave their cousins the nickel tour of Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Wife and I regrouped for the final push as the park was noticeably filling up. Goofys Sky School is a fan favorite so we rode that. Often times we board swings with no wait and can stay on for a few rides because there is hardly a line. Not only was that an impossibility today, but there was a line all the way down and around the stairs. The line was double if not if not three times the length Ive ever seen it. We skipped swings. Wife noted, If swings are this crowded, its a bad sign. We agreed if King Tritons had a line itd signify a crowd of monumental proportions. It didnt though. Wife took the four oldest kids on the carousel. Around that time we discovered CA Screamin was down and our fastpasses for it wouldnt be usable. This set into motion an unlikely set of events .

From the it never hurts to ask department: while wife and kids were on King Tritons, I found the CA Screamin lead and told him if the ride would take longer than an hour to repair, wed be on the road home by then and asked if possible and not inconvenient, would he consider providing an alternate fastpass. He said sure no problem and wrote out a Choice pass good for six guests on a single ride. I wouldve never approached the lead with this request except that nephews hardly ever make it out to the resort and really look forward to CA Screamin when theyre there. I was fully prepared for the lead to say Sorry cant help you and I wouldve told him Thanks anyway. But, like I said, it never hurts to ask. And finally:

From the it pays to read the fine print department: with our Choice fastpass in hand I laid out several options to the nephews which included Soarin, GRR, swings, fun wheel, Monsters, Goofys, etc. Then the ticket fine print caught my eye and I said Wait a second. It doesnt say may not be used on Toy Story Midway Mania. Every variation of one of those passes Id ever seen has specifically precluded TSMM. This one didnt. Nephews had only ever been on TSMM once and that was the week it opened summer of 2008. So long ago they had no recollection of it. It was our pleasure to reintroduce them. The days ending was as happy as it was unexpected.

Way Cool, I, too am in the read the fine print category.

Trip 39: January 8
    Times: DLP 8:40am to 1:40pm
    [DCA 7:40pm to 10:00] [DLP 10:00 to midnight]
    Cast/crew: Walt(8 months), Nancy(4), Roy(7), Kim(33), and myself(35)

For his birthday Roy asked for a nights stay at Disneyland. Sheraton Anaheim it was. Although we often take 4 to 6 hour jaunts to DLR, a full day and night at the resort is an exciting and different experience for us. The trip was packed with memories and magic. Ill forego a detailed minute-by-minute play-by-play and provide the first days highlights below after a quick ride list:

Roy and Nancy rode all the following with some variation of DW and/or baby Walt and/or me: Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters, Gadgets Go Coaster, Roger Rabbits Car-Toon Spin, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, King Arthurs Carousel, Snow White, Star Tours, Jungle Cruise (actually Walt and I rode this unaccompanied while older kids/mom did Star Tours), Indiana Jones Adventure (Nancy missed out, shes still barely too short), Mark Twain Riverboat, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and Space Mountain. Then on to the hotel for naps or, in Roys and Walts cases, pretend naps.

When we returned to the resort in the evening, the older kids and baby and I spent a half-hour at Redwood Creek, Roy rode Tuck & Rolls Drive em Buggies while sister rode Ariels Undersea, then we (the two older kids and I) rode Francis Ladybug Boogie twice. Around 10:00pm Kim and the two boys were winding down so Nancy and I finished up alone on a late night ultra stealth mission see the last highlight below.

Highlights: 1. The facepaint: Nancy is forever asking about facepaint but since we usually leave within a few hours of arriving, we cant justify the expense. Weve been telling her for a while Wait til brothers birthday trip. The night before the trip she asked Dad, do you super super promise I can get my face painted tomorrow? It was one of the days first stops. 2. Late Breakfast at River Belle Terrace: We heart this place. For breakfast, that is. 3. The Mark Twain Riverboat Wheelhouse: not our first time, but the skipper really made Roy feel like an honored guest for his birthday celebration. 4. Billy Hill and the Hillbillies @ Golden Horseshoe: we were in the right place at the right time as a family there to see the pianist got up to leave about 25 minutes before the Billy Hill show, so we got the private box to the left of the stage. What a treat. The musicians were all very gracious to Roy and wished him a Happy Birthday, serenaded him Happy Birthday, and Billy made him part of the show at one point by coming over to make faces at him and ham it up I cant easily put into words what happened but there are pictures and if youre familiar with the show it was the standard Billy Hill rompin stompin hillbilly rotten teeth humor. On a side note this was their final day of Christmas performances and the music was really cool. 5. Dinner and World of Color: We had Roys birthday dinner at Rainforest Caf in DTD. Dear-mother- and father-in-law joined us. The meal was nice, service was great, and the kids loved the atmosphere. Earlier in the day I ducked into DCA to get WoC passes, and convinced in-laws to head over for the show after dinner. They had yet to see it, hard to believe. Kids werent interested in WoC and were anxious instead to get to Redwood Creek, so Kim took her parents to the show; I went with the three kids. Everybody wins. 6. Hes 7 years old, hallelujah: There arent any rides at DLR Ill hesitate to go on. Well, theres one and it just so happens to be one of Roys favorites and it also just so happens that a child has to ride with a responsible person until hes 7, at which point he may ride alone. Tonight Roy ran through the Tuck & Rolls Drive em Buggies queue alone and past the CM declaring Dont worry, Im 7! before she could get in a word. He was bounding with all the enthusiasm of a kid on Christmas morning. He marked the occasion by riding not once but four times. In a row. 7. An impromptu 10 to midnight daddy daughter date: I knew Kim and the baby wouldnt make it til midnight but was a little surprised Roy waved the white flag. Without a nap I shouldve known he didnt stand a chance. Nancy and I made an unforgettable two-hour 8-ride run: Tower of Terror, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Winnie the Poohs Adventure, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Space Mountain, and its a small world Holiday. With the exceptions of Star Tours and Space Mountain (whose rider switch passes were burning a hole in my pocket) she chose all the rides. When we decided at 11:45 the Matterhorn line was too long I turned to head to the hotel and she pleaded for one more ride. It didnt take much arm-twisting.

He only turns seven once so we snapped a lot of pictures

The second days tour included a magical monorail ride with awesome views. More on that

Trip 40: January 9
    Times: DLP 10:40am to 2:50pm [DCA 10:40pm to 12:50] [DLP 1:15 to 2:50]
    Cast/crew: Walt(8 months), Nancy(4), Roy(7), Kim(33), and myself(35)

Roy began his morning the same way he ended the night before: with four consecutive spins on Tuck & Rolls. Nancy also rode, which meant DW and I split the chaperoning duties. The kids rode consecutively without exiting. We then boarded each of the three remaining Bugs Land rides and rode them twice apiece without having to exit. The place was so dead I was expecting a tumbleweed to scurry by.

From there the day included Ariels Undersea Adventure, Goofys, Swings, Tritons Carousel (twice for Walt), California Screamin (for Kim and the birthday boy), lunch at Stage Door Caf & Troubadour Tavern, Tom Sawyers Island, and Buzzs Astro Blasters. The days high point came when we were between parks

We exited DCA through The Grand Californian Hotel and out into Downtown Disney for a quick window shopping spree. To head into Disneyland Park, we were the final party into the monorail station to board. As such, I assumed the front and rear cars were occupied and brushed off the kids suggestion we try to get one. We took our seats in a nice nearly-vacant car in the middle of the train. A CM entered to inform us the front car (where the conductor operates) was vacant and that four or fewer from our party were welcome to join him. I volunteered to stay put but Kim insisted she and the baby were comfy and wanted to sit out so the two older kids and I took the front car. The sky was as bright and clear beautiful as possible, which (along with the premium seating) made for an extraordinary monorail ride. It made a happy birthday happier.

It's amazing how much pleasure I get reading about your family's jaunts to DisneyLand. Thank you for sharing and Happy birthday to your son. Please tell your daughter that her face paint looks amazing!

I do believe that is the first picture of dad we have ever seen. Love your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    It's amazing how much pleasure I get reading about your family's jaunts to DisneyLand. Thank you for sharing and Happy birthday to your son. Please tell your daughter that her face paint looks amazing!
    That's very nice of you. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I do believe that is the first picture of dad we have ever seen.
    I'm usually holding the camera.

Trip 41: January 15
    Time: 7:40pm to midnight [DCA 7:40 to 8:50] [DLP 8:50 to midnight]

For about an hour there from 8 to 9 there were showers. I’ve heard it said in this forum that the Southern Californians have the luxury to stay away when it’s rainy. Some do, maybe. Not me. Rain cuts down on crowds, which is always a plus. In my opinion braving the elements is a price worth paying. The challenge is finding someone to join me. Enter Nancy, who’s always game.

We walked by Redwood Creek to find it closed, as expected. We spent about an hour around Paradise Pier and rode Ariel’s, Goofy’s, the swings twice, and Zephyr from which we got an aerial view of the construction between The Little Mermaid and the WoC viewing area.

Once in Disneyland the rain subsided but the cold set in and became a bother as the night wore on. Nancy’s a creature of habit as far as practically always naming BTMRR as her first ride request. There was no problem getting on it …. Same can’t be said of Pirates of the Carribean, our next ride. For the life of me I can’t figure out what the CMs were doing. The line wasn’t that long, only extending to the water fountains or so, but it was taking. for. ever. Boats were coming in and going out empty. The line would be at a standstill for 5 or 10 minutes at a time then it’d inch forward only to halt again. It was almost as if they were right on the verge of a shutdown that didn’t come. Aggravating. Earlier that night we got into and quickly out of the TSMM queue when we realized the wait. We would’ve done the same here if we’d had some notion. By the time we got inside there was a sense of “Well, we’ve waited this long” and we stuck it out.

The lol moment of the night came as we embarked on the Jungle Cruise. The guide said “And folks to our right is Indiana Jones and the Temple of the four-hour-line” when an eager young boy volunteered that “No, sir actually it’s shut down right now.” Without batting an eye the guide matter-of-factly replied “Oh really? When isn’t it?” You know what they say about comedy: it’s timing (or something like that) and his was spot on. Overall the ride was meh but worth it for the one laugh.

We finished up on much of the standard fare: Star Tours, Buzz’s Astro Blasters, King Arthur’s Carrousel, and Toads plus one not-so-standard: Astro Orbiter. Uncharacteristically, Astro Orbiter had nearly no one in the queue. Pretty sure very few people wanted to be up there doing 4G’s or whatever in the cold air and rightfully so I guess. It was chilly particularly for a 4-year-old. And a little wet. But magical still. Very few places we’d bother to willingly hang around in that cold other than DLR. Nancy was a trooper as always but I’m interested to see if she’s as enthusiastic to go next time I tell her there’s weather out there.

Last edited by MidwayManiac; 01-18-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Trip 42: January 19
    Time: 4:45 to 8:10 [DLP 4:45 to 6:25] [DCA 6:40 to 8:10]
    Cast/crew: Roy(7) and myself(35)

One of the advantages of being a pair rather than a trio is there are no competing agendas. I don’t have to mediate or make suggestions and be the final arbiter. The child has carte blanche on a night like tonight. Of course, this has its disadvantages as well – on occasion (and I won’t say which ones) the child’s choices drive me batty. To his credit Roy asked me several times what I’d like to do, but I told him it was his night and I was just happy to be along for it.

His first stop was Main Street Cinema. I watched Steamboat Willie; he surveyed a few of the films. Every time I visit Main St. Cin. I'm floored to think once not all that long ago this was cutting edge, this was revolutionary, this was riveting to audiences (this? really? yes, this) and again it wasn't all that long ago and yet it seems eons ago in terms of how far the technology has progressed. Incredible.

Next, Astro Orbiter; while we were up there Roy saw and inquired about the People Mover track. If he only knew the People Mover fandom and nostalgia in this forum alone; and the rich history, my gosh. My 15 second explanation hardly did it justice and it wasn’t exactly a teachable moment either. But the seed’s been planted, so to speak, and knowing Roy it’s only a matter of time before he probes deeper with a "Hey Dad remember that old ride that’s not there that used to be there in Tomorrowland?" discussion. I simply wait for it. He loves hearing about old Disney and looking in books and online.

I noted recently that we go several visits on end without getting into Tomorrowland. Well the pendulum has swung on that with tonight being the most extreme instance. We ONLY visited Tomorrowland. Astro Orbiter was followed by Buzz Lightyear’s, Innoventions, dinner at Pizza Port, then a ride on the monorail to exit the park. After a stop at the Lego Store we went through GCH to enter DCA, where we had a nice little run that included California Screamin’, Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Swings, Goofy’s Sky School, and Soarin’ Over California.

My epiphany for the night came on Silly Symphony Swings which I’ve been on a thousand times, but always in a tandem swing. Roy’s long since been tall enough to ride alone and since Nancy wasn’t present, I took a single swing on the outer edge (all the tandem swings are on the inner edge). The outer and inner rows are only maybe eight feet apart when on the ground but, OMG, what a huge difference when they’re in the air (who knew?). Everything is exponentially greater on an outer seat: speed, adrenaline, centrifugal force, thrills, daring, fun, unadulterated joy. Until DD is a little taller I know I’m gonna have to, but it won’t be easy to return to a tandem swing. I now have swing envy.

Hehehe swing envy.

Trip 43: January 30
    Time: 4:10 to 8:20 [DLP 4:10 to 8:20]
    Cast/crew: Nancy(4), Roy(7), and myself(35)

My granddad had a saying about my moms coffee: It takes two cups to make one. Likewise, Market Houses coffee is among the weakest on Gods green earth but its flavored, at least, which makes up a little for what it lacks in strength. Im a sucker for hazelnut and since it does take two cups to make one, I got two: one now / one later. Roys become a good soldier: Nancy and I waited by the six-ton-ball-o-wet-granite while he ran for some SpaM FPs. Ahhh, delegating. Innoventions was dead, which is really too bad because my favorite pastime there is watching people try their hand at the Michael Jackson dance game. We were there an hour. And now I stare expressionless at the screen as I attempt to describe the experience that is Innoventions. I mean, its one of a kind. Lets move on shall we?

After a killer ride on Space Mountain, we grabbed a quick bite from Stage Door and ate in Golden Horseshoe. In the build-up to Haunted Mansion, we readied glow sticks forming bracelets and necklaces as we sat round a table in the Horseshoe. It had all the feel of donning gear and checking supplies before going on a mission (Stick, check. Connector, check. Chain, check. Got a blue? Hand me a blue. Bracelet, check. Hand me a connector, please. Need a yellow here). Anytime we ride HM at night these days, its ritual to break out the glow sticks first. After HM, Nancy and I failed to lure Roy onto Splash Mountain but we did ride Winnie the Pooh and had a memorable encounter with a CM. I wrote about it here.

Lines were nearly nonexistent. After we breezed onto PotC and BTMRR, I figured there was time for kids to pick a FL ride apiece. With no crowds to obstruct, it turned out they could pick two rides apiece. We hit up Pinocchio, Dumbo, carousel, and Toads. Roy got to invoke Im 7 on Dumbo and Toads. Speaking of his birthday, Roy mustve received a lot of well wishes when he wore a birthday pin three weeks ago because hes paying it forward and going out of his way to wish happy birthday to every possible person with one. From my experience the vast majority of happy birthday wishes are offered by CMs, so I get a little chuckle each time the boy does it.

One stop to make on the walk out . A featured drink at Market House is Candy Cane Cocoa. I tasted it twice and not a hint of peppermint, but my opinion is not relevant. After all, the kids are the authorities on hot chocolate and they swore by it. A cocoa nightcap is a major windfall for these two and they can polish one off before we hit the esplanade. Besides, I was there not for the cocoa but the watered-down coffee. And Im pretty sure if my granddad was around hed say it takes 4 cups of this stuff to make 1.