Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Grand Circle Tour [Day Trips 2011]

A Grand Circle Tour [Day Trips 2011]

Not writing things down is like asking to forget.
    Disneyland trips are special. Theyre magical. Theyre innocent, playful, nostalgic, and youthful. Theyre challenging, daring, unpredictable, often triumphant journeys. Above all, each one is unique. This thread will track these many experiences over the course of a year. Ive learned a tremendous amount from the members here at Mousepad, and I apply that knowledge regularly on my visits. In turn and from a practical standpoint, I hope a reader may glean some value from my familys visits.

Rather than create 50 or so separate threads over the course of a year, each day trip will be documented in a separate post in this thread. As with any thread please feel free to interject comments or questions. The main cast is the three kids, and the crew comprises my dear wife and myself. Ive assigned each of the three kids and dear wife handles since a) divulging names -particularly of children- on the internet is frowned upon and b) writing DS(6), etc. repeatedly is highly unappealing. With that in mind here are the not real names for four real people: at the time of this writing, Walt is seven weeks old, Nancy is four years old, and Roy is six; Kim is 33 and Im 35.

Its a pleasure to report on our experiences; thanks for letting me share them with you
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

Trip 1: June 9, 2011
    Time: 9am to 2pm [DLP 9 to 9:50 and 11:45 to 2:00] [DCA 9:50 to 11:45]
    Cast/crew: Walt, Nancy, Roy, Kim, and myself

The first minute of our new annual passes was ushered in with a not so auspicious but nonetheless comical - moment. As Roy and I trudged up the Main Street shuffle at rope drop toward the Star Tours FP queue, a tiny mouse made its way from near the Red Wagon corn dog cart across the thoroughfare toward the piano stand. Collective gasps and shrieks and chuckles emitted from the passers by, all of whom parted like the Red Sea to give the tiny rodent a wide berth. One dad consoled his child saying, Dont worry, that was just Mickey making his morning appearance to say hi. Haha, nice save.
    Keeping with tradition, Peter Pan was our inaugural AP ride. For the first time ever we used the rider switch. My ignorance of the system was on display when I asked the CM for a paper. He said Here in Fantasyland you just need to walk up the exit, unlike Space Mtn. or Indy where you need a paper. Good to know. I had tentatively planned for Walt to cut his teeth on Peter Pan but, for whatever reason, his mom pulled him out of line at the last second. I had also planned to use our first ever rider switch on our next ride, Ariels, but the CM insisted You can all five ride, no problem. Somehow that had never occurred to me, but suddenly seemed like a fine idea. Its oddly satisfying when weeks of planning unceremoniously and successfully changes on the fly like that.
    So we all five crowded into a clamshell. Nancy has kept a careful and eager eye on the construction of Ariels. It didnt disappoint. We made our way across the pier Roy and I rode Screamin while Kim and the younger two headed to ride King Tritons. They didnt quite make it and so the older children and I rode the carousel after Screamin. The carnival type games across from Mickeys Fun Wheel are an aberration for my wife and me, but Roys now in control of his own monthly Disneyland allowance so he partook. He actually came away with a couple souvenirs so we were pleasantly surprised.
    By late morning the baby was fast asleep so the two older kids rode Splash and Pooh while their mom and I alternated sitting with the stroller. Wife and I split a fried green tomato sandwich from Hungry Bear which was, I must say, outstanding. Its nice when DLR adds to its counter service menus appealing, adult fare like this. The turkey w/ provolone is now on the top of our to try list. On a complete whim the five of us walked into Haunted Mansion and boarded a doombuggy which, I noticed, felt slightly less roomy than the one on Ariels. Strolled round a little, fed ducks, daughter pressed a penny, Kim bought a summer hat at South Sea Traders. Without much thought we just kinda ended up on Jungle Cruise. Truth is Roy and I wanted to ride Indy and we had the fastpass for it but wed left Nancy once already for the only other ride shes not tall enough for (Screamin), so we opted for a ride we could all five enjoy.
    Star Tours was the finale. Oldest two kids and I rode first and ended up on Hoth; kids reboarded with their mom on the rider switch and got the sequence in which Darth Vader shakes his fist at the screen and the whole ride shakes is how my six year old explained. I was completely blown away by Star Tours; as somewhat of a purist who grew up with the 1987 version, I was apprehensive. Everything including the queue is sleek and clean and modern while paying plenty of homage to the original. The imagineers knocked it out the park, IMO.

Highlights: 1. Riding two new rides without incident or long waits. Was in the Star Tours FP line 20 minutes first thing, then in the actual line less than 10 minutes before boarding. From the time we entered the Ariel queue until we exited the ride was about 25 minutes total. Getting on and off those two rides was easier than Id expected.
    2. The weather was ideal.
    3. The baby turned out to be an excellent parkstormer. He strolls, he rides, he bjorns, he sleeps, he eats, then does it all over again. Not only does he not slow us down, but the older two kids have never had it so good now that rider swap enables them to board Peter Pan and Star Tours and others twice without waiting the second time.

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

I'm glad to hear your Star Tours FP experience went well. I'm getting super concerned about that for our trip given the FP's have been running out it seems 2 hours or less after park opening, per touringplans.com anyway. Not to mention it looked like they were already up to 10:40PM FP's at 10:49AM today per their app! And if you went yesterday, they had MM too right?, so I was wondering if on MM days if there would already be a really long line at the FP machine even if it doesn't start up until the regular opening. I'm getting so excited for our trip though. We leave one week from tomorrow for the long drive down, then in the park on the 19th.

I swear my boys had that same little jumper when they were little. Or at least one in the same color patterns. Super cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfepackmom View Post
    I'm glad to hear your Star Tours FP experience went well. I'm getting super concerned about that for our trip given the FP's have been running out it seems 2 hours or less after park opening, per touringplans.com anyway. Not to mention it looked like they were already up to 10:40PM FP's at 10:49AM today per their app! And if you went yesterday, they had MM too right?, so I was wondering if on MM days if there would already be a really long line at the FP machine even if it doesn't start up until the regular opening.
    It was a Thursday so far as I can tell, yes, a MM day. I wasn't close enough to the rope at rope drop to see how much of the line was made up of Magic Morningers. I was in the park at rope drop, but positioned nearly all the way back near the Emporium. Beginning June 18 the park will have 8 am openings for the rest of summer and therefore no rope drop so I'm not sure how closely your experience will mirror mine. I can tell you this: rope dropped 9am, my Star Tours FP was timestamped 9:17 and had a return window of 12:25 to 1:25.

I understand your concern. Showing up early and handling business is such an effective antidote for that kind of anxiety. You're going to have splendid trip; I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Sounds great Midway Maniac....I have never played those Midway Games but they are so iconic. I love that they are there but think paying extra is crazy.(for ME)

Star Tours is pretty amazing huh? I only got to ride it once and actually was very ok with that as I feel I still have a new attraction to go on this autumn. SO very cool! Great trip report..

I like your idea of mini trip reports in one thread. I have often wanted to write up my day trips, but didn't want to make a new thread for each one. Maybe I'll do it this way too.

Your little one is soooo cute!

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    Sounds great Midway Maniac....I have never played those Midway Games but they are so iconic. I love that they are there but think paying extra is crazy.(for ME)
    I concur. I'd personally never pay a dime for it. But part of teaching a six year old about managing his money is letting him manage his money (*shakes fist at son*), for better or worse. And yes the games are pretty iconic.

Star Tours is pretty amazing huh? I only got to ride it once and actually was very ok with that as I feel I still have a new attraction to go on this autumn. SO very cool! Great trip report..
    Star Tours was rad. I have to study up to get a better handle on all the possible ride variations. You're right, each time is like anticipating a new experience. Thanks glad you like the report.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecatgirl View Post
    I like your idea of mini trip reports in one thread. I have often wanted to write up my day trips, but didn't want to make a new thread for each one. Maybe I'll do it this way too.
    Do it. I'll be your first subscriber.

Your little one is soooo cute!
    Thank you.

Trip 2: June 10
    Time: 7pm to midnight [DLP 7 to 8:25 and 10:40 to 12:05] [DCA 8:25 to 10:40]
    Cast/crew: Nancy(4), Roy(6), myself(35), and our dear family friend Chuck who’s 13

Chuck and his family frequent the E-ticket rides exclusively on their visits, so what better way to start off the evening than …. Pinocchio??? (in fairness we attempted to board BTMRR first but it had its share of problems throughout the evening – more on that later). From Pinocchio we rode Space Mountain.
    Having Chuck along enabled Roy and Nancy to separately explore their agendas in DCA. Chuck accompanied one child at a time, I the other. Roy opted for Tower of Terror and Animation Academy; Nancy chose to ride Monsters, Inc., tool around Beast’s Library and Sorcerer’s Workshop, then danced her shoes off and hula hooped in front of the Disney Dance Crew stage during Electronica. I tried several times to get Chuck more involved in the decision-making process and express his ride preferences, but each time he responded “I’ll do whatever the kids wanna do.” What a great, selfless kid. I also got the sense he appreciated the novelty of the “kiddie things” (Pinocchio, Monsters) and subtle places (Beast’s Library, Animations Academy, Disneyland RR) he doesn’t usually venture to. The four of us reconvened at Toy Story Midway Mania 5 minutes before park’s close and were among the very last to board.
    Granted, this was the first day BTMRR has been open in nearly two weeks, and from what I saw they were having a lot of trouble shakin’ off the rust. It was down at around 7:00 when we first attempted, then they had the standby wait time noticeably miscalculated a half-hour later when we returned, so we got out of the queue. When we returned for our third try at 10:45 we had valid FPs. Yay, success! Turns out they were operating one track. The wildest ride in the wilderness: not a model of efficiency on this night.
    Chuck had only a vague recollection of ever seeing the dinosaurs between Tomorrowland and Main St. Stations on the DLRR, so we boarded at New Orleans Square for a round trip. I mean, who doesn’t love the train? It’s always a nice diversion. With about 10 minutes remaining ‘til park’s close, Chuck and Nancy headed to Splash Mountain, while Roy and I boarded Indiana Jones.

What I realized: 1. I really dislike sitting in the front car on Space Mountain; I have this irrational fear that some support bar will come unhinged on one end, sway into the path of the coaster and as the first rider, I’ll go headlong into it.
    2. If you plan to get a soft serve ice cream at the Paradise Pier ice cream window, prepare for people to gawk in envy at you (this was Nancy's and my experience in the TSMM queue).
    3. My daughter is a freak of nature. Amid a tram full of zombies too tired to do anything more than grunt at 30 minutes past midnight (most of you have made that late ride and know exactly the scene I’m talking about), my daughter was bouncing up and down in her seat, reconfiguring her glow bracelets into necklaces, smiling, talking, and just generally being happy at the Happiest Place on Earth. It was hysterical. 45 minutes earlier she insisted on riding Splash Mountain in 55 degree temps. Luckily it shut down early.
    Last edited by MidwayManiac; 06-11-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Trip 3: June 12
    Time: 8am to 1:30pm [DLP 8 to 9:45 and 11:10 to 12:30] [DCA 9:45 to 11:10 and 12:30 to 1:30]
    Cast/crew: Walt(7 weeks), Nancy(4), Roy(6), Kim(33), and myself(35)

Today we met up and spent the morning with some friends. One couple has a five year old and a nearly three year old; the other couple has a 2 year old. After retrieving ST fastpasses, I spent the first part of the morning on infant/toddler duty. Meanwhile my older two kids ran with some of the adults in our party to Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain . I got to take the little ones on Buzzs Astro Blasters, Dumbo, and Pirates during that time (Walt rode the first and last among those three). Dear wife got to ride BTMRR for the first time since beginning pregnancy 11 months ago. Nancy was determined to make good on here thwarted Splash Mountain plans of two nights ago, so she and I rode with the two gentlemen in our group the women and other children used better judgment and opted for Winnie the Pooh.
    Throughout the day there was a lot of splitting off/ dividing and conquering (whatever you want to call it) into groups among the kids and adults. From Critter Country Nancy and I bolted to DCA for rope drop/Ariels and a spin on the Silly Symphony Swings while everyone else stayed at the main park for a jaunt on Tom Sawyers Island and some variation of Indiana Jones and/or BTMRR again.
    As for Ariels, the line was backed up to Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at 10:00. From there it took us 40 minutes to get on the ride. We were at the same place/ same time three days earlier and waited half as long. Chalk it up to the Sunday versus Thursday crowds perhaps. On a related note, the swarm around ST first thing was still fevered but slightly less so than Thursday, maybe because the park got a 8:00am start today instead of 9:00. Today my FPs were timestamped 8:13 with a return window 10:05 to 11:05 (Thursday: 9:17 / 12:25 to 1:25).
    We reconvened at Star Tours. Three adults and three kids rode while the other three adults sat with the infant and two toddlers, then the adults switched off. The 4, 5, and 6 year old children got to ride consecutively. I swear those kids have it made. From what I gathered both groups rides were similar: Hoth to the undersea adventure with Jar Jar Binks and the slithery tongued creature. My ride Thursday got off to the same start but the second half of this one was different. Unanimously, all present were instant ST2 fans. My family stayed on for an hour after the other families called it a day. My kids always really enjoy Redwood Creek Challenge Trail; they chose to spend the last hour there rather than redeem our Soarin Over California fastpasses.

Things I liked: 1. The Dapper Dans never paid them much attention but stopped to listen twice today.
    2. Black Beard in lieu of Davey Jones on PotC then again, Im a huge Tombstone Deadwood fan and a fan of all things Ian McShane so Im hardly unbiased.
    3. The ground in the Ariel queue - it has little shells and other beach things embedded in it.
    Last edited by Drince88; 06-13-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Typo correction requested by poster

Ok,

Thanks for ruining riding in the front of SM. How can I not think of that now??

I didn't get soft serve at DCA!!! Thanks for the mention....note to self to give that a swirl next trip....

The Dapper Dans rock! About time you paid attention....good on you!

Love Deadwood and Ian McShane....too bad that POTC film was mediocre....

I did notice the shells in the ground but the rest of the queue was pretty boring.....I think it will be a quick load in the near future though.....

Great reports yet again!

Ok,

Thanks for ruining riding in the front of SM. How can I not think of that now??

I didn't get soft serve at DCA!!! Thanks for the mention....note to self to give that a swirl next trip....

Love Deadwood and Ian McShane....too bad that POTC film was mediocre....
    I love SM. Love it to pieces. But riding in that front seat is about as emasculating as it gets for me.

The soft serve in DCA is my daughter's all-time favorite. Had an interesting convo with a couple CMs in Gibson Girl one day after finding the soft serve in DCA not open. I said "there has to be a place to get a soft serve cone somewhere in DLP .... right?" They said there isn't, matter of fact and that the Dole Whip is the closest thing and that's a far cry, IMO.

In its heyday, there wasn't a better show on television than Deadwood. Left a bitter taste the way the story arc was unable to play out, but I'm not bitter. Not much.

Trip 4: June 15
    Time: 4:25 to 9:05 [DLP 4:25 to 9:05]
    Cast/crew: Nancy(4), Roy(6), and myself(35)

Its not often were in the parks late afternoon, so we set out on a fairly ambitious itinerary. Nancy is working up the courage participate in Jedi Training. Seeing her big bro whos completed the academy six times already battle the Darths up close once more might just provide the boost of confidence she needs to get out there, I thought. But we arrived two minutes too late for the last show. The best laid plans, right?
    Had only a little time to kill before flag retreat, so Frontierland Shooting Exposition and retrieving BTMRR Fastpasses soaked up a few minutes. The gentleman sitting next to me at flag retreat summed up what Ive heard said by a lot of people: All this time Ive been comin to Disneyland and I didnt even know they did this ceremony. Its one of the parks best kept secrets. The kids loved it - the folding of flags, the Dans, the pledge. We followed up our maiden flag retreat with another first: The Laughing Stock Co. at Golden Horseshoe Saloon. There are a lot of funny one-liners in that show. The kids enjoyed the audience participation.
    The trips main event was Soundsational. We scoped a nice spot along the outer Pixie Hollow railing across the walkway from Matterhorns southwest side. We arrived at 6:00 for the 6:30 show. The view from our position was excellent, and probably ideal for the 4:00 parade (which originates at Small World and ends up Main Street) as we had a clear vantage point all the way to Alice in Wonderland. My favorite parts of the parade were the drum line that leads the processional and the The Princess Frog dancers who were smartly dressed in 1920s style flapper/Mardi Gras costumes and were really cuttin loose dancing. As each sequence passed Roy would peer up the street to see whats next and make an announcement. He was particularly excited when he spotted the last group and yelled Dad LOOK! Its Mary Poppins, and Bert! Overall, the parade was outstanding and had an eclectic ensemble of characters and themes.
    We rode the teacups, its a small world, BTMRR, and Haunted Mansion with an interlude at the Stage Door Caf for a quick bite. Walked back to Mickey and Friends. Hauled lawn chairs, blankets, and popcorn buckets to the top level of the parking structure (which had very few cars on it) and sat out under the fireworks. Great show from up there.

Magic: 1. The inclusion of Mary Poppins music, characters, and dancers as Soundsationals finale is a stroke of genius. To me its such a charming and memorable ending. Its classic Disney at its finest; a fitting tribute to Walts era. Bravo!
    2. By chance, we just happened to be wearing glow necklaces on Haunted Mansion which enabled me to notice for the first time what Yee and Schultz discuss in item 40 of 101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland. They offer a more detailed explanation than this, but basically

the ballroom scene includes optical illusions created on plate glass only a few feet from and on the same eye level as the Doombuggies. Its normally undetectable, but our glowing necklaces reflected in the plate glass, partially revealing the magicians technique.

3. When the PA announcer came on at flag retreat, Roy asked Dad, is that Walt Disney talking? When we walk by the Partners statue he stops and asks Can I take a picture of Walt Disney and Mickey? He stops to read the plaque for Walt on the Frontierland flagpole. When I point out Walts apartment or balcony seats he asks, Thats where Walt Disney lived/sat? Can I go up there? He peppers me with randomness like Was Walt Disney good at drawing? Todays trip was remarkable for a number of revelations, not the least of which: Theres a Walt Disney mystique thats not lost even on a six year old.

1) I couldn't agree with you more Maniac ! Soundsational (Despite my pet peeve of taking a word and cramming it into another word) is actually Sensational. The costumes and dance segments were fun and great to see Rapunzel and Tiana. The Mary Poppins finale was such a great tribute to Walt's era and such a cool float. Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily's designs totally rocked. Finally a parade I can get behind again! The last one I liked was Hercules....that was a while ago......

2) Ahhhhh so refreshing to hear.

Finally a parade I can get behind again! The last one I liked was Hercules....that was a while ago......
    Wow only took 13 years. Good for you.

I'm not at all a parades critic. Only only one I took the time to stop and watch more than once was Mainstreet Electrical. Seem to remember Lion King had more than its share of fans or perhaps not.

My kids are enthralled by the parades so I'll be attending regularly now and I'm glad for it. Visiting the park with kids who wanna stop and see and do everything as opposed to visiting as an adolescent / adult without kids is such a stark but refreshing contrast. Before it was all e-ticket rides all the time; now I see the park in its entirety.

AWESOME thread! 1) I'm soooo jealous of your proximity to DL 2) You're writing style is refreshing and captivating 3) I appreciate you mentioning details. Now I have things to add to my "to see" list for DL; flag retreat ceremony, look down in Ariel cue, do not sit in front care of SM....

Thanks for the fun thread!

Quote Originally Posted by SeansMom View Post
    AWESOME thread! 1) I'm soooo jealous of your proximity to DL 2) You're writing style is refreshing and captivating 3) I appreciate you mentioning details. Now I have things to add to my "to see" list for DL; flag retreat ceremony, look down in Ariel cue, do not sit in front care of SM....

Thanks for the fun thread!
    SeansMom, thank you for the nice words. They're appreciated.

I learn a lot about the parks right here on Mousepad. To know you read my posts and get ideas is very gratifying. Not sure about you, but my "to see" list keeps snowballing.

You're too kind.

Trip 5: June 20
    Time: 8:30am to 12:05pm [DLP 8:30 to 9:55] [DCA 9:55 to 12:05]
    Cast/crew: Walt(8 weeks), Nancy(4 ), Roy(6), Kim(33), and myself(35)

Walt slept in his stroller for the first hour in the park. So older brother and sister hopped on BTMRR (I sat with baby), Snow Whites Scary Adventures (Kim sat with baby), teacups and Gadgets Go Coaster (I sat), and Roger Rabbit (Kim sat). Im not sure what to think about Roger Rabbit. Seems my impression wanes from unimpressed to mildly impressed but Im certain that the queue is outstanding. Id almost rather hang out in there than the ride itself. Nancy and Roy and I tooled around Chip n Dales Treehouse, the Miss Daisy, and Goofys Playhouse. Five of us sat on benches near the underpass/Toontown entrance as DLRR stopped by above us and started out again; enjoyed some snacks, drinks, caught our breath, rested in shade, and Walt had a bottle as mild morning temps gave way to warm ones. DCA rope drop was approaching so I polled the group to see who (if anyone) wanted to get over there promptly. Only Roy. Nancy stayed with mom and baby for a stop in Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, where Kim bought her Rapunzel hair extensions (see picture below). From what Im told there are some Rapunzel wigs there that I simply must see and that are now on the wish list.
    Ill remember today as the day my kids fell in love with Grizzly River Run, even if only temporarily. See, Roy has a history of riding the wet rides (Splash Mountain and GRR) for a week or two then refusing to get near them for months at a time. He and I entered DCA with plans to do any of a number of things, but GRR was not one of them. As it happened, though, Roy worked up a sweat on the walk in and the ride suddenly looked inviting. We both got soaked, which to my surprise didnt damper his enthusiasm. By the time we exited the rest of the family arrived and Roy convinced his sister, who until recently wasnt tall enough, that she should ride too. Of course, she didnt hesitate. So once more into the breach I went dear wife wanted no part of it. Nancy loved it and claims to have a new favorite ride. Oh dear lets hope not. If thats the case shell ride morning, noon, or night with no regard for the temps.
    Walts only ride of the day was Ariels. Five of us went together. Next, I gave the older kids a choice: two more rides or Turtle Talk with Crush and I was really hoping theyd choose the latter its air conditioned. They chose Silly Symphony Swings, which I rode with them. I finished out the day with Walt while Kim took Roy on California Screamin (her first time, woo hoo!) and then Nancy on King Tritons Carousel. Roy opted out, citing that King Tritons is too girlish. Interesting perspective, after all: he rode it two weeks ago. But I just grinned and bit my tongue.

Trip 6: June 22
    Time: 6:25 to 12:25 [DLP 6:25 to 9:20 and 11:00 to 12:25] [DCA 9:20 to 11:00]

Spotting the famous Disneyland cats on our tram rides into the park is a favorite pastime of the kids. The cats meander parallel the tram road along the backstage gate. Early mornings we can usually spot them there, but almost never in the afternoon/evening. My kids have noticed this pattern and are piqued to see where the cats might be the rest of the day. Riding the Mark Twain one day, I saw several resting at the far back edge of Hungry Bear. Who needs Broadway caliber entertainment and world class rides when you can chase felines around an amusement park, right? So we set out for the Hungry Bear Restaurant.
    The very first order of business once in the park was dropping Roys DL post card to his grandparents in the mail box by the left tunnel. The far back edge of Hungry Bear was cordoned off. Hence, we saw no cats. Soon as we stop looking for them is when well see them - thats usually how it works. Cats quickly became an afterthought when a dozen plus ducks and three ducklings showed up along the Hungry Bear dock to be fed. The kids willingly doled out their fish crackers.
    We worked our way from the back to the front of the park, riding Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Haunted Mansion, and PotC. The weight distribution in our boat mustve been just so, because the three of us exited Splash Mountain relatively dry. Nancy frequents the penny presses at the Splash exit tonight included - and occasionally Pioneer Mercantile, so individual coin tins for the kids have proven handy (my days as a human coin dispenser ended recently). Roys developed a knack for the trivial details of rides, pointing out to his sister Max, Buff, and Melvin on Pooh, the train overpass through Splash Mt. in the zippidee doo dah room, the magical glass on HM (last trip report), and the new Black Beard on PotC. Lot of attention to detail. Maybe hes ready for an intro to Hidden Mickeys by Barrett.
    We got our Soarin over California fix and happened upon some World of Color tickets. In the back of blue section we stood along the front rail within reach of some of those shooting fountains in the flowerbeds. I alternated holding kids five minutes at a time throughout. The show was great, as always, including the Pirates updates. The pyrotechnics are always such a blast. It doesnt happen often for us, so a World of Color show always makes for an exceptional night.
    In Disneyland we rode Buzz Lightyears Astro Blasters, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, and BTMRR. The last hour is such a great time to get on rides if you can stick it out. The Gibson Girl line was longer than a dad and two children could endure at midnight, so we settled for a popcorn bucket and headed up the steps to Main Street Station. Relaxed on benches, overlooked the square, viewed Sleeping Beautys Castle, and shared a snack.

2 Things I Think: 1. Once upon a time, I didnt get the long lines outside Mr. Toads and Alice in Wonderland. But I get it.
    2. The light in Walts apartment window was out when we were in Main Street Square after midnight. By design, I presume.

note: The cats are feral, safe to assume, so plan accordingly. There are a few threads on the lore of DL cats such as here and here.

Trip 7: June 24
    Time: 4:45 to 9:10 [DLP 4:45 to 7:55] [DCA 7:55 to 9:10]
    Cast/crew: Walt(9 weeks), Nancy(4), Roy(6), Kim(33), myself(35), and dear mother in law and father in law (ages unknown)

In addition to the in-laws joining us, a dear family friend and her two boys ages 5 and 3 met up. Tonight was all about the grandparents and kids, not so much the parents. In Disneyland I wanted to: attend flag retreat, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, Soundsational Parade (actually did this), King Arthurs Carousel and/or Gadgets Go Coaster, and Star Tours. Instead, I: took kids on Indiana Jones, the Astro Orbiter, Buzzs Astro Blasters, held down a parade spot for an hour on Main Street, and made a sandwich/nuggets run to Hungry Bear for the group.
    The in-laws got their first ride on the new Star Tours and whats more, they got to ride with their grandkids (Roy and Nancy). Cool beans. Everyone was hyped for Soundsational and it delivered. I didnt issue any spoilers since I wanted to get Kims honest impression, and without prompting she echoed my sentiments that Mary Poppins was a remarkable ending.
    Five of the 10 people in our group had yet to ride Ariels, so the writing was on the wall for our DCA schedule. All 10 of us rode. I wouldve gladly opted for Crushs or Animation Academy and maybe Bugs Land over Ariels and Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, but I digress. Friends had fun, kids had fun, grandparents had fun and taking in the two new rides and parade in a day was a score for them. Kim and I were glad it all worked out. Some days you storm the park and some days youre a warm body holding a spot on a curb, a food runner, and marshal for kids and grandparents. Its all good. Fireworks from atop Mickey and Friends capped off the night.

A Few Things: 1. What a difference a year makes: at 8:05pm the CMs at the World of Color FP queue were still distributing tickets for the 10:15 show. A year ago the two shows , and often a third, were sold out by around noon. This situation is perplexing given (it appears) three quarters of the parks traffic is channeled along that route.
    2. The traffic flow along the west corridor of DCA (between GCH and GRR) is potentially every bit as bad as the one a year ago that forced Hyperion Theater and Tower of Terror attendees through Bugs Land and back. I dont complain but if I did, Id start here.
    3. The turkey and provolone sandwich at Hungry Bear is good. It features a generous amount of meat and some tasty mayo or some such, but hey, in the end its a turkey sandwich. Its counterpart on the menu - the fried green tomato sandwich - is far more novel. And the sweet potato fries are underwhelming.

I totally understand what you mean about being a warm body. Whenever we go with extended family that is me the fastpass getter, spot saver, food runner but it's all good if everyone has a good time huh. You are at DL and all.

I love the reports can't wait to read more.

Quote Originally Posted by letshavefun View Post
    it's all good if everyone has a good time huh. You are at DL and all.
    Precisely. I can have a good time having a good time -or- have a good time watching others have a good time. It's Disneyland, like you said.

I love sweet potato fries so sad to hear that they are underwhelming. COld???? I never order fries in Disneyland because they are always luke warm at best. The whole point of FRIES (Sweet potato or not) is to be a delicious hot food. Otherwise I would order potato salad. Just saying. Love the MARY POPPINS finale also. SO good. Love these delicious snack posts.

I love sweet potato fries so sad to hear that they are underwhelming.
    I should've been more specific and said tonight's fries were underwhelming since we had some two weeks prior and they were fine. At least we ate 'em all that time.

On the night in question they basically went untouched on all four platters we ordered. The comments ranged from "they're not good" to "they need seasoning" to "they need ketchup" and my own personal opinion, which was they needed salt. I'm new to the sweet potato fries craze so I'm hardly a connoisseur, but when I do get them at a restaurant or store bought I'll eat them without any problem. This night was the first exception. I'll give 'em another try.

Trip 8: July 1
    Time: 6:35 to 12:15 [DCA 6:35 to 10:00] [DLP 10:00 to 12:15]

Odd as it may sound, weve been eagerly anticipating the opening of Goofys Sky School. Roy and I were Mulholland Madness enthusiasts. It went into retheme mode before his sister was tall enough to enjoy it. I assured them itd reopen as the same ride, only newly decorated. We were glad to be in the park the day it opened, and gladder still to find it continues to feature fastpass. We grabbed a set.
    The first ride of the night was Mickeys Fun Wheel on a swinging gondola. Roy got a few good pictures from the top. Goofys Sky School our second ride of the night - was just as Roy and I remembered it: a nice little thrill. Nancy wanted to go again and since the FP turnaround time - 45 minutes - was the same as the standby wait, we grabbed another set of fastpasses and rode Silly Symphony Swings and Jumpin Jellyfish. Then once more to Goofys.
    Weve been remiss to get over to Bugs Land since renewing APs. I was determined to make it there. The Bugs Land theming and atmosphere is second to none, in my opinion. We rode Tuck & Rolls Drive em Buggies with the one parent rider switch, which Id never heard of until tonight. My favorite Bugs Land ride Francis Ladybug Boogie would have to wait since we were a little pressed for time. Thrill seeker that she is, Nancy surprisingly has no love for Tower of Terror. But shes a sport and volunteered to go anyway. She loved it and talked the rest of the night about it and mentioned it each of the next two days.
    We arrived in time for the final Animation Academy of the evening only to find Winnie the Pooh as the featured character. On 3 of Roys 5 trips to the academy, Pooh has been the featured character, so Roy lobbied for a last second change of plans and we all agreed to take in the final Turtle Talk with Crush show instead. The kids love Crush but I cant imagine any of them have more fun than me. At first blush, Crush is a cute show. But the more Im there, the more I realize what a unique treasure it is. Audience interaction is engaging; the turtle is witty and hilarious and not sarcastic which seems a really fine tightrope to walk. Its fun for kids and, for my money, more fun for adults. Its a remarkable show. We had just enough time for Monsters Inc. and Electronica hula hoopin before DCA kicked everyone out.
    Suddenly, the kids have a keen interest in Fantasmic! When we do attend, Im going to get the position from the center of the bridge over PoTC. Arriving at 10:15 for the 10:30 show isnt cuttin it to reserve that spot, so F! shall wait for the next evening excursion. We rode PoTC, BTMRR, King Arthurs Carousel, and Mr. Toads before finishing off the night on Nemos Subs. The score for Nemo begins beautifully and ends nicely; the clamor in the middle belies that.

One other thing: I spoke for a bit with the CM at Animation Academy and found the following: although each night typically ends with Winnie the Pooh, there is not a standard daily schedule. It varies slightly day to day. AND you may stop by anytime throughout the day to view that days schedule if youre targeting a certain character.