Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Cruising with a Toddler

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Cruising with a Toddler

Hi All! We are booked on the June 18, 2012 Alaska cruise. I am so excited! I have a few questions about cruising with a toddler. My son will be 21 months at the time. I am sure I will come up with more questions as we go along!

1. Shows- Right now, he goes to bed at 7:30ish. I am guessing by talking with friends this won't change a whole lot between now and then, this is 8:30 Alaska time. We have main seating. How do the toddlers do with the shows?

2. Adjoining rooms- we will have an adjoining room with my FIL and his woman "friend." Is it at all feasible to put the baby to bed, open the door to their room so they can listen for him and then go out for an hour or two? I don't see us doing this more than once or twice, but is this something that could work?

3. Clubs- I saw online they have some Baby Einstein and storytime stuff at the Oceaneers Club and Lab. If we go with him, can we participate in these?

Thanks!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Mermaid, we only took Cub to one show, Toy Story the Musical. The shows are LOUD and he has a sensitivity to loudness. We alos didn't think the other shows would interest him. YMMV.

I wouldn't leave your door open for your friends to listen for him while he sleeps, no. Some doors are *right* next to each other and some aren't. You may have rooms next to each other but the front doors ae open to the hallway and people walking by may be loud and wake him. Unless you mean true adjoining rooms with the door between the rooms are actually *inside* the cabins. I'm not aware of cabins like this, but that doesn't mean anything. If the latter is your situation, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm not sure about the last one about the Club. I've not seen kids younger than the required 3 years old in there. You can alsways ask when you get on board!

Karin

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Thanks Karin, I was hoping you would see this thread. My understanding is they are true adjoining rooms with interior doors. No, I would never leave the door to the hallway open!

Good to know about the shows. I don't see him digging them if they are super loud, but we'll see how he is at that point. Maybe we can try one early on and sit on the aisle towards the back to see how he does.

I had read about people taking toddlers to the nursery at night so they could see the show or whatever and the kids would be sleeping when they picked them up, but right now my fear is he would never go to sleep when we got back to the stateroom. Maybe I am thinking with an 8 month brain and not in the future!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

You can always watch the plays on the TV in your room. I know we did this on our first cruise. Our daughter was 8 months old so sometimes we would go and watch the shows ( we always sat close to the isle just in case, and I am glad we did as we needed to exit sometimes) others we would watch in the room.

I also have not heard of the conjoined rooms. But if they are sounds like a good plan.

Not sure about taking him into the club and lab but it really does never hurt to ask. Not sure how much fun a 21 month old would have though. Flounders reef might be better, it is geared towards kids that age. But again you never know till you try.

Hi Mermaid

We were on the Wonder repo cruise in April/May and I can tell you that there are definitely adjoining rooms on the ship. We had one of these rooms, although we were not cruising with any one we knew, so the connecting door inside our cabin stayed firmly locked. I do know there are not a lot of adjoining rooms so you may want to check if your cabin numbers conform to an adjoining room set.

As for the Clubs, I believe that you can join your children in activities if you or your child wants you to. Or were you asking if he could join in the Oceaneer Club activities even though he isn't potty trained yet, provided you stayed with him? I believe that is allowed.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mulansgirl View Post
    You can always watch the plays on the TV in your room.
    That's a good one, mulansgirl. I totally forgot about that option.
    Karin

Although very loud, our then 9-month old son fell asleep thru many of the shows, and also our 11-mo. old daughter did as well (separate cruises). Kids can fall asleep anywhere. Bring some plugs for your baby's ears or just use some cotton balls. If the noise does bother him, you can put him in Flounders Reef for a couple hours ($6 per hour). By all means, GO SEE THE SHOWS - they are really great!

I see no problem with Dad babysitting from the adjoining room. I would also suggest brining a baby monitor - fairly lightweight and additional peace of mind.

As for the 21-month old in the kids' area - they might let you look around and stay a bit, but the area isn't equipped. All toddlers must be potty trained in order to be eligible to register.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    I wouldn't leave your door open for your friends to listen for him while he sleeps, no. Some doors are *right* next to each other and some aren't. You may have rooms next to each other but the front doors ae open to the hallway and people walking by may be loud and wake him. Unless you mean true adjoining rooms with the door between the rooms are actually *inside* the cabins. I'm not aware of cabins like this, but that doesn't mean anything. If the latter is your situation, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Allow me to enter the conversation with Official Travel Agent Terminology [tm] here...

Adjoining rooms are rooms that are next to one another. There is no interior door that connects them. You would need to go out of one room, into the hallway, then into the other room for access.

Connecting rooms are also rooms that are next to one another but they have an interior door that opens between the two rooms, so there is no need to go to the hallway. Access between the two rooms is private.

Connecting rooms are available on cruise ships. I always suggest having your friendly knowledgeable travel agent find the best stateroom/s for your family's cruise vacation because it's their job to know details like this.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com