Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Disneyland vs disneyworld

Disneyland vs disneyworld

I went to Disneyworld last summer in July with family. I am from brooklyn ny, we are going to Disneyland this July for a week. I know Disneyland is so much smaller but I didnt think I would be getting as much backlash as I have. They say why would we go there when the World is only 3 hours away and has so much more to do. They also say its like going to a county fair, no place to walk,its claustraphobic. Family and friends just wont shut up about it. But in doing my research for my kids ages 6 and 3 there actually seems like there is more to do and less walking. What do you guys think, was it a mistake.

2. # ADS

You're on a Disney website asking if a trip to Disney is a mistake. Um, no, it's not.

Disneyland and Disneyworld are similar yet different. Disneyworld has significantly larger acreage and the attractions are more spread out. While this does mean more overall attractions, it also means more walking which can be exhausting for little people. Both parks have some of the same rides, either identically or with minor differences so you will still be able to go on many of the WDW favorites. I have little people and Disneyland is my home resort. My kids love it a lot. We are leaving soon for a trip to WDW. I think that there is room in life for both and if you did your research and decided that Disneyland is right for your family at this stage in your life you are probably correct. You know your family best. It sounds like the people who are against may be looking at it from their grownup perspective and perhaps not considering it from a kids point of view.

Just give it a try. I just think you will be pleasantly surprised. Pay no attention to naysayers who says it is like a County Fair. It is the original Park that Walt actually designed and was there when it was built. I have been to WDW and grew up going to Disneyland. It truly is magical. You need to look at it as the Glass is half full, instead of the glass is half empty. Just come and try it. I think you will love it-especially your children.

Siggy aka Jill

I dont remember the exact number, but Disneyland has almost as many rides as WDW but in a closer proximity. You need to go not expecting WDW. Not because it's not as special but because it's not the same experience. If WDW is a marathon, DLR is a pleasant stroll. Each invigorating in their own right.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

You could be a big pig too!

First I must disclose that I have never been to WDW. That said, I really think it is a perspective thing. From an East Coast perspective, people know and love WDW and can't see why you would need to go to DLR. From my West Coast perspective, DLR is perfect for my family - not too big, not too small. Very warm, approachable and manageable. WDW sounds sprawling, overwhemlming and like you need to plan everything to the last detail in order to manage it all. At this time, I am not ready to take the troops across country for that experience. I am sure that will change at some point and I don't mean to dis WSW, I am just not ready to take that plunge.

I think your kids sound like the perfect age for the size and scope of Disneyland. I am sure you will have a great time. And, lucky you, you will be able to say you have been to both resorts and can plan future trips based on what you and your family want/need at that time.

Have a Blast!

Disneyland trips: '72, '77' 78 '79, '80, '86, '99, '06, '07, '08, '09 , '11, '13, '14, '15 and '16
    WDW solo trips: '13, '14, and '16

"My favorite part of Disneyland is spending time with my family" -- DD, age 10

Each resort is special and unique for what they are. If they were carbon copies of each other it would take some fun out going to both. WDW is our big family vacation spot, Disneyland and California Adventure is our every summer spot. Your little ones will love Mickey's Toontown, Disneyland's Small World is far better than WDW and I think Disneyland will be less walking for you. You can take the train from Main Street, all around the entire park. California Adventure has a lot of fun things for the little ones to do as well. I think as long as you don't play the lets compare game your whole trip, you will have a blast!

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    I think as long as you don't play the lets compare game your whole trip, you will have a blast!
    This is the key. They are different experiences.

But one thing I ask of WDW regulars when they visit DL for the first time....

Don't make comments about the size of the castle, people are very sensitive about it!

For DL regulars visiting WDW for the first time, I ask them not to make comments about Pirates, though sometimes young boys (Krockpots, you know who you are!) can't hold back on the 'impolite' comments I've heard/met on line very few people who like Pirates in WDW better than Pirates in DL.
    Cathy

Blog Entries

I love Disneyland. I have never been to WDW. To me, it just seems too big and overwhelming. Disneyland is the original. I was raised going to Disneyland (we went every other year when I was little, adn every year when I was a teen. Now, we go every 6 weeks or so!) Everyone has preferences. I think with the kids' ages, you will probably enjoy DL a little more.

Planning 3 trips at once...

I grew up going to Disneyland, so to me, that is still my favorite, special place. However, I have also been to Disney World a few times, and it is also amazing, with lots of different experiences to offer. There are many things at Disney World that you cannot see at the Disneyland resort - certain rides have better cues or buildings, and of course, there are the different lands like Animal Kingdom.

But for me, the magic of Disneyland is that 1)this is where it all started! This is where Walt build his dream! 2) Yes, it is smaller, but that is part of the charm. It doesn't take you almost an hour to go from one park to another, you don't have to take a bus, and it's easier to maneuver. 3) The special, unique parts of Disneyland resort must be appreciated for what they are - Small World is a much better outer building, Indiana Jones is great, and World of Color is incredible.

You have to look at each experience as individual. I went to Disney World shortly after it opened, and I was very disappointed. I told my parents ""It's just Disneyland with a lot more walking!" Of course, that was LONG ago. I have since been back numerous times, and I love Walt Disney World for all of the unique things that have been build over the years - the Haunted Mansion building, cue and ride is amazing, the Pirates of the Caribbean cue is great, Tower of Terror is longer, more surprising. BUT there is no place as cozy, historical, and special as the original Disneyland. And with smaller kids, there is a GREAT advantage in not having to walk as much, especially if you stay somewhere close so you can easily go back to your room and rest. It's MUCH easier at the Disneyland Resort. Have a wonderful trip

Kristin

I would say just don't expect Disney World when going to Disneyland. DL is very compact when compared with DW and there are only the 2 parks and the second park was built in the first parks parking lot just to give you an idea of how compact it is. If you are staying off site most of the motels are basically just your run of the mill best western type and are on very busy city streets. I don't think anyone could argue that there is more to do at DW but I think DL has a much more intimate feel to it. You should at least make the trip to see for yourself. To me, they are just too different to make a real comparison... just completely different experiences.

California Sun

One thing that Disneyland has over WDW is the weather. Beautiful Southern California weather. Yeah, Florida has sun too, but it rains almost every day of the summer in Florida. It rarely rains in the summer in California. There is also a lot less humitity.

I've been to both parks and I enjoyed both. People who haven't been to Disneyland may just assume it is a lot smaller. Of course it is smaller, only 2 parks verse 4 plus water parks at WDW. But the small size doesn't mean there is less to do really. And it is a lot easier to enjoy everything. Downtown Disney, California Adventure, and Disneyland all meat at the esplanade. You cannot say that about WDW where everything is miles apart and require some kind of transportation. If WDW did not have Epcot, it would really have nothing over Disneyland. Now tell me, is Epcot your little kids' favorite place? Probably not! So there is no reason to think that this will not be a wonderful, special, vacation for them.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I was raised on Disneyland and didn't go to WDW for the first time until I was an adult with three children and a mortgage, so obviously I think highly of Disneyland. But...

I went to WDW the first time KNOWING that it was going to be nothing at all like Disneyland. Comparing WDW to DL is comparing apples to oranges. They're both such different experiences that I think it does EACH resort a disservice to try to compare them - and to call one better than the other.

I like the comparison that WDW is a marathon and DL is a pleasant stroll. It doesn't take nearly as long to get from point A to point B at Disneyland. Pirates is Better. Indiana Jones is better than Dinosaur (understatement of the year.) Tiki Room is better. Space Mountain is better. It's a Small World is SO much grander and the Haunted Mansion facade and queue are so much better. A friend of ours said to us, on our return from my first trip, "It makes you appreciate what we have here, doesn't it?" That's not a criticism of WDW. WDW is great. But for years I had this idea that WDW was the ULTIMATE Disney Experience. It was very nice. It was fun. But yes, it really did make me appreciate the things that make Disneyland unique and special! The intimacy of everything.

But like I said, I really truly believe that going into a trip to either, with a perspective of comparing them to each other, setting up expectations that one will be better than the other, is a HUGE disservice. They're just NOT the same.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been to both numerous times and Disneyland is my favorite. I like that I enjoy just about as many experiences in 2 parks vs. 4. It can seem abit more crowded especially while they are doing work or during high traffic periods but its still numero uno in my book.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post

Don't make comments about the size of the castle, people are very sensitive about it!

For DL regulars visiting WDW for the first time, I ask them not to make comments about Pirates, though sometimes young boys (Krockpots, you know who you are!) can't hold back on the 'impolite' comments I've heard/met on line very few people who like Pirates in WDW better than Pirates in DL.
    They weren't impolite - they were just HONEST!

And hey, I actually LIKE the size of our castle because I think it makes our Main Street seem bigger than Magic Kingdom's.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    They weren't impolite - they were just HONEST!
    That's why I put impolite in quotes! Because it wasn't the most tactful thing to say (and I couldn't think of tactful, or it's opposite when I was writing that).
    Cathy

Hey, this YOUR vacation and it's YOUR big bucks being spent. Quite honestly, and I'm planning a WDW vacation but haven't ever been yet- there's a reason my kids will be 12/7 & 7 when they go. Of course we live closer to Dland and it's only a 6+ hour drive... but the parks themselves are fabulous for little kids. There is no Animal Kingdom -BUT- the world famous San Diego Zoo and Safari Parks are w/in driving distance (considering transportation to/around WDW could take you up to an hour). Some of the "resort" things (like watersports, horse riding, golf) aren't there- but little kids will NOT miss those! I totally agree that DL is great for being able to be a few minutes walk to and from your hotel and a few minutes walk from DCA to DL to Downtown Disney.

Now, I've never been to Brooklyn (or any part of NY). But really? You can't tell me a New Yorker couldn't handle the fact that the walkways are a little more packed in and not quite as wide as WDW. I think you will be fine with that part, Disneyland is well utilized and well-packed with things to see & do. You could easily do 4 days at the two parks and still NOT get *everything* done.

Our weather is better, and our princesses are more beautiful.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    LOL Teddi you nearly made me choke!!

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    This is the key. They are different experiences.

I have to agree with these young Krockpots! There just seems to be SO much missing in Pirates at WDW!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    I totally agree, I was just saying the same thing about the princesses!

I love DL, but for me it's our home park and I have to admit it will always be my favorite. There is something special there, it's Walts park, you have so much of him there, and like Adrianne said so many of the DL attractions are better than the MK. You can walk from one park to the other and to DTD without getting on a bus. We are currently living on the east coast so we go to WDW because we can drive. I love WDW too, its a whole new world for us to explore. Some things are the same, yet so different. I know people are biased about the park they are grew up with. But if you go in to this trip with and open mind, I think you and your kids will love it.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Like everyone said, they are very different so it is hard to compare. We prefer DL. We like the intimate areas and the atmosphere. Most of the rides are better (except we do prefer WDW's Splash). You don't have to walk forever to get everywhere. It isn't that we don't enjoy WDW, we do, a lot. But they are totally different vacations. I will say, WDW kills Disneyland when it comes to restaurants.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

I found this great comparison/contrast guide on another forum. Google: DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Quote Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
    I found this great comparison/contrast guide on another forum. Google: DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
    Here is an older thread: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...e-for-WDW-Vets
    Siggy aka Jill

I dont understand how people can say its more intimate than Disneyworld but then people say Disneyland seems more crowded because there is less room to walk.

Blog Entries

There is less room to walk, because the walkways are smaller and there's not vast expanses of space. Vast expanses of space are kind of the opposite of intimate or cozy. They're saying the same thing with different spins on it. (Cozy and intimate is positive - smaller walkways is kind of neutral - crowded walkways is negative -- all different perceptions of the same situation.)

Cathy

Disneyland Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    I dont understand how people can say its more intimate than Disneyworld but then people say Disneyland seems more crowded because there is less room to walk.
    Disney World is like a day at Central Park. Disneyland is like a backyard barbecue.
    God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

I have grown up going to Disneyland and we became passholders as soon as my first child was 3 (officially 10 years now, LOL). We are 30 minutes from the resort and go as often as we can. Obviously we love our time at DLR or we wouldn't keep going back

But, we also wanted to experience WDW, so last summer we spent 10 nights there. We did all our research, knew how to book our ADRs, how to plan which parks for which days, etc and we loved every minute of our trip. We knew not to compare the two resorts (although we did find ourselves doing it anyway, but it was always in a positive manner). We have things we like better at WDW and things we like better at DLR.

Our impression comes down to this. For us, WDW is as vacation with everything that goes with it (lots of planning, hotel stays and long days spent getting to/from our destination). DLR is a day or weekend trip with everything right there and no need to make major plans in advance. They are wonderful, but different, experiences and we love them both!!!

Now my DS (7) got on Matterhorn at DLR a week after we returned from 10 days at WDW and at the end of the ride proclaimed "It's good to be home."

So yeah, we are partial to DLR because it is our home park. But we were extremely grateful to have been able to experience WDW also, just to expand our love of all things Disney.

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~