Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Korkis Korner: The Forgotten Story of Dixie Landings

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Korkis Korner: The Forgotten Story of Dixie Landings

The Forgotten Story of Dixie Landings by Jim Korkis

Jim takes a look beneath the magnolia of the Southern-themed Walt Disney World hotel.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I stayed with my family last January at the Riverside. Reading your article I felt immediately saddened that the Hotel had not given us some information about that rich, albeit fictitious history. I wondered about the old man island and the giant gear works in the dining room, but would have never guessed that such a rich tapestry had been woven. I would blame myself mostly however, for as you so eloquently put it, my fascist schedule of ride maximization and crowd pattern avoidance would not have left much of a window for exploring those paths less traveled.

I do think Disney has started seeing the value in these stories however, with their themed queues and reimaging of Disney's California Adventure. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see these items come back, with some hidden Easter eggs along the way for guests to find. After all, what is a Disney hotel room, but your nighttime queue?

I think Disney is right in donwplaying the Eisner-era backstories of it's hotels. I think they should be available for those who want it- perhaps as an in room story/magazine/newsletter or an afternoon story-time, but quite frankly I like to be able to "come up" from being immersed in Disney and stories. After a day of standing in queues and hearing backstories (as good as they are) I just want to be able to relax. Admittedly, I come with the point of view of not having kids and my wife isn't as big of a Disney fan as I am, but there are a signficant number of us anyways. I think if the hotels put their backstories in people's faces, it will only drive people off property, if for no other reason than to escape the constant Disney! A lot of people stay on property because they a)know it's good quality at a relatively reasonable rate, b)enjoy the benefits such as extra-magic hours and free shipping of merchandise back to the hotel, and c)enjoy not having to pay for transportation. However, if you add the "cost" of having to deal with a Disney story even in your off-hours, you better believe some people will decide it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    I think Disney is right in donwplaying the Eisner-era backstories of it's hotels. I think they should be available for those who want it- perhaps as an in room story/magazine/newsletter or an afternoon story-time, but quite frankly I like to be able to "come up" from being immersed in Disney and stories. After a day of standing in queues and hearing backstories (as good as they are) I just want to be able to relax. Admittedly, I come with the point of view of not having kids and my wife isn't as big of a Disney fan as I am, but there are a signficant number of us anyways. I think if the hotels put their backstories in people's faces, it will only drive people off property, if for no other reason than to escape the constant Disney! A lot of people stay on property because they a)know it's good quality at a relatively reasonable rate, b)enjoy the benefits such as extra-magic hours and free shipping of merchandise back to the hotel, and c)enjoy not having to pay for transportation. However, if you add the "cost" of having to deal with a Disney story even in your off-hours, you better believe some people will decide it's too much.

mkelm, I certainly understand what you mean. However, I think that having the "newspaper" would give people who want it the back-story, but for those who are interested they can get the story. It's one thing to "downplay" the stories, but something else entirely to lose those stories completely, as seems to be what is happening now.

I've always loved the Dixie Landings backstory, such a shame most of it got lost during the 2001 political correctness rename. I never really liked making Dixie Landings a subsection of Port Orleans, even though the two resorts have always run under a common management. Seemed to just make things more confusing for guests.

I've got the full version of the whole backstory on my website, including all the various articles from the Sassagoula Times. I've also got the full Port Orleans (now French Quarter) backstory too, if you want to check out the other half of the story - such as the two fictional French settlers that the location was named after (Pierre dOrr and Philip Leane). See www.portorleans.org/backstory.php

Thanks for helping keep the story alive Jim.

Andre