Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Wheelchair/scooter rental from hotel?

Wheelchair/scooter rental from hotel?

I was flipping through a DLR planning book while at the library and it noted that wheelchairs could be rented at the DLR hotel that you're staying at instead of dealing with it at the park itself (either DL or DGC). That way, according to the book, you don't have to return the wheelchair upon leaving the park but rather you can keep it throughout your stay and take it back to the hotel room.

This book was written in 2008, it was something like traveling to Disneyland & Southern California with kids, but I don't know the exact title. I didn't want to check it out and waist my time on a book that old as it seems things can change way too much at DLR in that span of time.

Does anyone know if this wheelchair rental is still available at the hotel (we're staying at GCH)? And more so, does DLR offer scooter rentals in addition to the wheelchairs and strollers? Can strollers be picked up at the hotels as well? I'm still debating of if I should fly my daily stroller down.

Thanks!! We're down to 150 days until we hit the front gates! Seems like a long time but I find myself getting excited more and more as the days pass.

2. # ADS

Friend of Figment

Yes. you can rent a wheelchiar or ECV. However, you are not renting it from Disney. The hotel will contact an outside vendor for you. If it is charged to your room (which I kind of doubt) there will probably be a "convenience fee" added which makes it more expensive than if you contact an outside vendor directly.

There are off-site locations (I know that Decker's is often recomended) who will rent chairs and ECVs. They will deliver them to Bell Services before you arrive and pick them up after you have departed.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Just to add more info: there are wheelchairs available at the hotel, but they are on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. So you are better off renting either a wheelchair or if the person is capable a scooter from an offsite company. (There are scooters and wheelchairs available at Disneyland/DCA--but the scooters are a lot more expensive than renting from outside, if they are all gone by the time you get there you don't get one that day--you are much better off renting from outside). ETA: just to clarify, if you rent from Disney, you have to rent on a daily basis--which means walking to the Esplanade from the hotel, waiting in line to rent (they charge I believe $55 plus a $20 deposit) then at the end of the day to get your deposit back. Depending on the lines this can cut into your day in the parks--another reason I recommend renting off-site so that you can avoid that time waste)

Deckert's is the company Malcon10t uses; I use OC Medical which also has a location across from the entrance on Harbor at the Ramada Maingate called "Scooter Village." I have met the owner, Shola, several times and he is a really nice guy who aims to please. But I had no complaints about using Deckert's either. I just like OC medical because they are right across the street if something happens (in WDW--renting from Apple Scooter--I had a scooter die in Epcot).

And like Cheshire says they both deliver before you arrive and pick up after you leave. The bell desks are very used to dealing with the scooters and are very accommodating--especially at my "home resort" the Grand Californian. AND at the Grand Cal you can drop the scooter off at the end of your day and they will store it and charge it for you. (I usually tip them when I pick it up each day.)

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson