Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Security check question [Medications]

Security check question [Medications]

Since we were back less than 2 years ago and many trips total I have a new security check question. I'am now on 5 different life time meds. which means 5 different bottles to open everyday. Seeing how I always carry my meds. on the plane does anyone know if I can just put my weeks dose of pills all in a little baggie or will security see that and think Im pushing different drugs and they need them in there OWN bottles with the labels? I hope not as that will take up room and I only want to take what I need and leave the bottles homes. Anyone run into this issue before? Thanks

2. # ADS

You might try one of those pill organizers rather than a baggie. You know one that has a spot for each day. They have once a day containers and they have three times a day containers. I'm pretty sure that I carried my daily medicine on the plane, I don't think I checked it, in one of those.

I had thought of that but with so many pills I was wondering if security would want to actually see the bottles with the pharmancy and Dr.name on them. I dont want them to think Im smuggling a bunch of difference pills. Never had to deal with this before but how a years older have changed that. lol

I looked on the TSA website. You do not need to have your pills in their proper containers, unless they are liquid. Pill containers are acceptable they just have to go through they X-ray machine while in your bag. If you do not want them X-rayed then you need to have the original bottle.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to reiterate what jennibell stated above. I've traveled with meds many times. Pills, I just put them in a pill case. If I have liquids, I carry those on with me so that TSA has access to them and my ID, or my child's immunization record to verify names. I've never had an issue.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DO NOT CHECK YOUR MEDICATIONS! (It doesn't sound like you were going to Leslie - just a reminder for everyone).

As long as you are ok with them being X-rayed (which shouldn't be an issue at all for any pills) there's no need to worry about them in your carry on bag. Liquids and things that you don't want Xrayed are the only things I'd make sure you have 'appropriate' documentation.

But I agree, don't put them in a baggie. Get a small pill organizer. My parents (who are each on multiple medications and supplements) actually use pill organizers at home, just so they don't have to 'handle' all the bottles each day.

www.tsa.gov has lots of info that should answer most of your airport security questions.

Cathy

I use a pill organizer everyday, just so I remember.

Great, thank you for the clarification. I will leave all the bottles home and get a small travel size pill container with me and have them xray. I will just count our days gone bring that many with me and leave the rest home for our return. Plus I alwasy carry pain meds. in baggies in the park while there. No liquids this trip so I think Im safe.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably a good idea to pack a couple of extra days, just in case.

I don't like carrying pills in baggies because the baggie can break, and because the friction between pills could rub off outside coatings - especially if those coatings are helping to protect my throat. I like Aleeve in the parks, so I just got a small tube of a few pills once, and then reload them with generics.

(I once (through some stupidity on my part) burnt my throat with aleeve - so I'm pretty cautious about coatings)

Cathy

When I know I am going to travel, I usually save the last bottle from the pharmacy, and use that to put the amount of pills I would need, for that prescription. If something happens to the medication, which, of course I carry with me, I have the prescription number for the national pharmacy chain, to expedite a refill, if needed in an emergency. I always take extra dosages to cover a day or two, just in case of travel delays. In January, our flight was cancelled, so we got home a day later than expected, and I had medication to cover an extra 24 hours. Delays can happen, even if you drive-what if you have a mechanical breakdown or accident, and are stuck enroute for a day or two-better to be covered for such contingencies.

Quote Originally Posted by jennibell View Post
    You might try one of those pill organizers rather than a baggie. You know one that has a spot for each day. They have once a day containers and they have three times a day containers. I'm pretty sure that I carried my daily medicine on the plane, I don't think I checked it, in one of those.
    Helena and I also use the pill organizers (one for each of us) and carry up to a month's worth of pills on the plane with us. We've never had a problem. Any liquids (Helena's eye drops) we carry in the original bottle in a 1-quart ziplock bag. Again, no problem.

ALWAYS carry at least a few days extra of any prescription medication. As mom22gls stated above delays can and do happen. I can't tell you how many times I have had to turn away people who did not know anything about their medication other than "you know , the pink one that I take for my heart". If you have you bottle from a pharmacy I can at least look at it and know what you are taking and make a judgement call on whether or not I can give the patient (free of cost to them) a few tablets to hold them over, but if you come to me with a baggie I can't do a thing for you. And remember the same chain pharmacy in different parts of the country can carry a different generic manufacture, so the tablets could look different. Ask questions!

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good advice! Always bring extra meds. You never know if there is a situation where you may have to need them. DH takes his pill box and fills them before we leave. He has an extra large pill box (LOL) and we make sure there is enough just in case you may have to stay longer...which can't be a bad thing.

Stephanie

Friend of Figment

I tend to carry three different pill carriers; each has an eight day capacity. I use one for pills before breakfast, one for diner time, and one for before bed. I will also carry one or two bottles of insulin, a bunch of syringes, and diabetes testing supplies. I will normally do about five air round trips a year and have never had any problem getting any of my medications through Security.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Visiting WDW Since 1982

we just traveled on Alaska in April. Both my wife and I had pills in seven-day containers and additional ones in zip-lock bags. Had them in our carry-on. No original bottles. No problems whatsoever.

Stan

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

One other suggestion is that if you take a medication that is considered a "controlled" substance (like painkillers) and you are not carrying them in their original container it might be a good idea --not just on the plane but in general--to have a doctor's note or copy of the prescription--JUST IN CASE you got pulled over for a traffic violation or something. The other thing I did at one time was go to the pharmacy and request a second bottle that was really small with a label on it that I could carry in my purse.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson