Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: napping for two 2 year olds...

napping for two 2 year olds...

I know this may seem like a dumb question as each child is different, but I just want to see how other parents have handled naps while at WDW. Our boys are 2 1/2 and have a pretty set napping schedule at home. While we are there, should we try to enforce a similar schedule or just let them "drop?" I know they will be excited, but since we are staying in a two-bedroom at the BCV, I'm hoping they can at least "rest" each day around lunchtime so nighttimes aren't a nightmare. Is it realistic to think they'll nap at all?? We will have strollers for them, but I can't imagine them sleeping in there for very long - we'll be there in June so it will be too hot. Also, if they are napping in their strollers we can't do much anyways, right Anyone have success with napping toddlers???

2. # ADS

I'd plan a mid day break at the villas. If they don't want to nap right away, maybe a swim and then a nap before heading back to the parks in the evening.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

A mid-day break is a good thing even if it is to get out of the heat and sun for a while. My kids, everywhere I've taken them, have slept in the stroller. Even my DS at 6, who quit napping around age 2, slept for a solid hour in the stroller on our last trip. He slept while my daughter and I waited in line to meet Tinkerbelle. They may surprise you!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In June, I'd HIGHLY recommend a mid-day break for the whole family. Swim first if everyone is too hot and sticky to sleep.

Cathy

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agreed with all so far. A break is a good thing. When to break may depend on when you first get to the parks and the stamina of your kids. Just make sure you take that break before a meltdown starts to happen.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I also concur with going back to the villa for rest time. A trip to WDW if very stimulating for young kids, and the weather is much hotter and humid than at home. Consider also that they end up spending a great deal more stroller time than usual, just going around the parks. In our experience, even when the kids were significantly older, after a stretch of 4-5 hours in a park, they would pretty much start to "hit the wall." That was the perfect time to go back to the resort, either right before or after lunch, get a swim in, and some down time, even if they did not sleep. It's also a good time for everyone to freshen up and maybe change some clothes-a shirt can get mighty sweaty, and you will be able to do laundry often-that rest period is a good time to throw a load in. Later in the afternoon, we would all be fresh and rested, and would go back to a park, often for an early dinner reservation, then for some more fun. We were, rarely, in a park at 2-3PM, because that was, usually, when we would be taking a break, but one day I was at a gift shop in Epcot around 3, and, virtually simultaneous, every toddler in the place had a meltdown. I thought, I'll be the parents have been here for hours, and those kids had enough of sitting quietly in a stroller.

I also concur with going back to the villa for rest time. A trip to WDW if very stimulating for young kids, and the weather is much hotter and humid than at home. Consider also that they end up spending a great deal more stroller time than usual, just going around the parks. In our experience, even when the kids were significantly older, after a stretch of 4-5 hours in a park, they would pretty much start to "hit the wall." That was the perfect time to go back to the resort, either right before or after lunch, get a swim in, and some down time, even if they did not sleep. It's also a good time for everyone to freshen up and maybe change some clothes-a shirt can get mighty sweaty, and you will be able to do laundry often-that rest period is a good time to throw a load in. Later in the afternoon, we would all be fresh and rested, and would go back to a park, often for an early dinner reservation, then for some more fun. We were, rarely, in a park at 2-3PM, because that was, usually, when we would be taking a break, but one day I was at a gift shop in Epcot around 3, and, virtually simultaneous, every toddler in the place had a meltdown. I thought, I'll be the parents have been here for hours, and those kids had enough of sitting quietly in a stroller. Mid-afternoon is the perfect time to take advantage of that fantastic pool at your resort.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mom22gls brings up a good point, ESPECIALLY since you're staying in a DVC. Laundry. You really don't want to be packing adequate clothes for 2 2.5 year olds (plus 2 adults) for much more than 4 days. I sweat a lot, but if I'm there for much more than 5 days, I just have to do laundry - - I don't have THAT many comfortable-to-wear-in-public-when-not exercising shorts, and I even just the sweat at the waistband is enough on those hot and humid days to make me need to do laundry in less than a week. (And that's assuming no Mickey Bar drips on the shirts!) Doing it during a break is nice, especially since you'll have a washer and dryer in your unit.

I was on a vacation to an island once and my sister and I were a day late, our luggage was 3 days late. I hadn't realized how nice clean clothes really FEEL until that point!

But make sure you either bring your normal laundry soap from home, or test the detergent you decide to bring. I use the Purex all-in-one sheets for travel, which doesn't cause a reaction with me (some detergents do).

Cathy

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Nap. Yes. Every day. Even on vacation.

Karin