Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Favorite Theme Park Shows for the Family

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Favorite Theme Park Shows for the Family

Favorite Theme Park Shows for the Family by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares their opinions of various shows at Disneyland and Walt Disney World and which ones their families like the best.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

favorite park shows

In addition to Fantasmic and WOC, we really enjoy the Aladdin show in the DCA Hyperion Theatre. When we get tired of the the heat and crowds, the live musical production in an air conditioned theatre provides a refreshing break.

I don't have any kids of my own, but I've successfully managed to convince most of my family to let me act as a "Guide" when taking my cousins, neices, and nephews to the parks (that's how I justify many of my trips to the world- it's family time... the fact I love it more than the kids has lttle to do with it).

The shows that are (suprisingly) winners are the Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage, both at Hollywood Studios. Both have the advantage of being cool and seated, which is good for tired, hot young legs, and are not scary. The kids really enjoy the Little Mermaid and the use of puppetry is fascinating to them and gets them interested on multiple levels. One one level, they enjoy the familiar plot/songs, etc. but they also get a kick when they see how it's done- it makes them feel more grown up because they get it.

I've found my family kids do not always like the Illuminations show at EPCOT- while there are a lot of cool elements, it is a little intense with the percussion driven music, laser lighting, and inferno dome. Wishes is a far better fit for them because it's a little more mellow.

The teenagers have always gotten a kick out of the Oh Canada! circlevision and Impressions de France at Epcot, but that might be skewed because a chunk of my family is actually Canadian. Still, I think they enjoy that it's not a "little kid" thing and doesn't have the otherwise ubiquitous Disney characters.

We are also big time lovers of Aladdin at DCA. We always have preferred seating since we book thru Disney Travel Company and is a must do during our vacations. WOC is another must see and like someone said in the article, worth the hassle of the fastpass.

I am not familiar with the shows at WDW, but when we go in July I am looking forward to Illuminations, The Festival of The Lion King and Fantasmic (although just about the same as Disneyland)

My "musts" for Disneyland are
    1) Fantasmic!
    2) Aladdin
    3) Any holiday show/parade/fireworks
    4) Billy Hill

We've also enjoyed Playhouse Disney, Pixar Parade, Celebrate!

We are really looking forward to the shows in WDW except Fantasmic! which we are skipping.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Any fireworks are always a given, so I'm leaving those off my list. But DS (age 8) got to see Illuminations for the first time this year and absolutely LOVED it.

These are in no particular order. Just my top 5.

1. Nemo at Animal Kingdom
    2. Electrical Light Parade
    3. Jedi Training Academy. Even if you're kid couldn't participate, it's a great show.
    4. Indiana Jones at Hollywood Studios
    5. Playhouse Disney

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Ok, I don't have kids but Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom and Aladdin at DCA are the two best shows IMO, and both very appropriate for young kids as well as adults.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I especially love Festival of the Lion King and the Nemo Show, at the Animal Kingdom. Both have excellent production values; I have described them as Reader's Digest Condensed versions of Broadway shows. You are seated so close to the performers-it is really magical, Last summer, we sat close to the stage at Nemo, with two eight year old girls, and they were absolutely transfixed the whole time.

Wilderness Explorer with Premium AP JunJunM3's Avatar

DLR must sees for me: Fantasmic, World of Color, Aladdin, and the Holiday/Halloween/Summer fireworks spectaculars.

WDW must sees for me: Lion King, Illuminations, Fantasmic, Wishes.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Hi. My name is Adrienne and I did not care for Illuminations.

I know I'm not alone. I have met at least two very hard Core Disney fans who are very good people who also do not think Illuminations is all that.

Sorry. Putting on my flame-proof undies.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

With all due respect to the columnists but I can't believe no one mentioned Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom and Candlelight Processional during Christmas Season at EPCOT. We never get tired of seeing Lion King and try to go every time we go to AK. This show is Disney Imagineering at its best with the repurposed parade floats, amazing singers, acrobats, polynesian fire dancer, ballet dancers and flyers, and of course Simba, Timon and Pumba. Children of all ages love this show and its air conditioned.

The Candlelight Processional is the best show in WDW, hands down. A full orchestra, The Voices of Liberty, 300 high school student choir, and a celebrity narrator with 13 beautiful Christmas songs ending with the Hallelujah Chorus brings goosebumps and chills up your spine. We love it and saw it every year even before our daughter was a member of the choir for 4 years. This show is not to be missed if you are in WDW at Christmas time.

I'm Goin To Disney World!!

I wold LOVE to see Candlelight Processional in WDW!!!

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Thanks to this thread I just thought of Billy Hill as a nice cool place to sit when (ha ha- IF) M naps. Wait? Can I bring the stroller in there?

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

I've seen strollers in the theater but it's a tight fit, and it's noisy when the show is on so I'm not sure if I'd consider it a good nap spot. If you really want a nice cool nap spot I'd go more for the animation building.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

True, the animation building would be better. He has never actually fallen asleep in his stroller, so it may be a pipe dream anyway!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?