Hello. My first post, and I did search the forums and read everything on the GCH for the past 2 years... but I have a lot of questions.
I travel a lot - have done lots of domestic and international travel...
And I have a lot of family in San Diego and Orange County... but this will be my first time at Disneyland without any of them, and on my own, with my own kids. We will fly in from Denver with a 3 year old and a 6 month old. Here are my questions to you wise sages!! (I am 99% on staying at the GCH because I have stayed at another DL resort hotel and was really put off by the paper thin walls and NOISE. Naps are very important to us, and we will need a mid-day nap as well as a good nights sleep)
1) How to get the best deal. I heard that December is a very slow month, and bound to have deals. Agree?
2) We have the whole month of December to come... we can come any week, weekdays or weekends. What is the best to get a discount? (early in the month or later and mid-week vs. weekends)
- If the park is slower, will it mean less characters and less options?
3) When to book? I am back and forth on waiting (like now the summer discounts are out) or booking in advance?
4) Resources for booking with the best deals? Disney directly or a travel agent, or Costco, or where?
5) Is there a crafty way to get a better deal like an AP or something else I don't know?
6) How long? At first I was thinking a quick trip, couple of days... but then I got to thinking my son loves Toy Story and Cars, so he may want a day at the Adventure Park too... any suggestions? (I plan to "go big" at DisneyWorld when kiddo #2 is a bit older)
7) What type of room? I hate to drop the $$ on a suite, but we usually need a living seperate from the beds so that mom and dad can stay up a bit later, and we have a place to hang out while the little ones nap. AND if I did get a suite, could we get groceries for breakfast and snacks and save on that as well? (We eat whole foods, organic, and healthy... so it may help with that too)
8) We are thinking to shuttle from the airport and just let family come to us to visit. (but I am having a hard time with not getting any time in San Diego... but it just got too complicated with the parking charges and not using a car, and how to get one short term, etc.)
I relaize that in all liklihood GCH is overpriced for what it is, but at the same time, it is right there, and for naps, I think it wil lbe best for us. Plus it will be Christmas time and people say it is lovely for that. I also considered renting on VRBO - and some say they have a lightrail type of ride to the park. Can that work? I am not sure how close that is, and I have some concerns about Anaheim in general anyway...