Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Driving time to Airport

Driving time to Airport

OK. for those in the know... how much time does it REALLY take to drive from Downtown Disney (or vicinity) to the airport?

My husband threw me a knuckleball and now wants me to look into renting a car for the week since we'll be going off-World for a couple of days (we usually just do Disney Transp. and Magical Express).

Would we need to leave our hotel the same time as the Magical Express to catch a 6:45pm flight? Or would having the car and dropping it off at the airport give us a bit more time to explore?

Thanks in advance!

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dopeyd73 View Post
    Would we need to leave our hotel the same time as the Magical Express to catch a 6:45pm flight? Or would having the car and dropping it off at the airport give us a bit more time to explore?
    Well, DME would pick you up 3 hrs before your scheduled flight time. So, how much spare time you want to leave between leaving WDW and the airport is somewhat subjective.

IIRC, it takes around 45 mins (give or take) to get to MCO, providing there is no traffic, etc. Some car rental places are off site, so you have to add in transport time from there as well.

Then there is security... which is always a guess as to if it is going to be busy or not.

Personally, when using DME, 3 hrs before flight time is great for me. I dont have to rush with the kids and I still get to my gate around 1 hr before flight time, or 30 mins before boarding, depending how you look at it.

If driving yourself, you can probably shave 30 mins off easily. Some people leave 2 hrs before and have no issues. More adventurous people will take it below the 2 hrs before flight time, but I would not recommend it.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    If driving yourself, you can probably shave 30 mins off easily. Some people leave 2 hrs before and have no issues. More adventurous people will take it below the 2 hrs before flight time, but I would not recommend it.
    And not knowing traffic patterns, you're going to be bumping up against evening drive time, so that could cause issues for you!
    Cathy

Thanks for the info! Seems I was on the right track with the timing.

Now I guess it's just a choice between which hassle we want: the bus ride hassle or the rental return hassle. LOL!

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

Why don't you just rent for the couple of days you need it and not the whole trip?

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Believe it or not, the cost to rent just the couple of days is just as much, if not more, than the whole week. Plus, the time we'd need to take out of our trip to go get the car and bring it back, really cuts into our "Mouse" time.

If I'm putting out the $$ anyway, my hubby and I would prefer to just pick up/drop off the car at the airport. Then, if we decide to split up some of our free time, one "group" can take the car, the other the buses. My mom is coming with us again, so if she wanted to take my son back to the hotel using the bus, my hubs and I can linger around and take the car back. It actually opens up some options for us, too (now that I think about it).

I'm not really a "down to the minute" kind of planner, but I like to have a good idea of travel times, time going from the parking lot to the gate, wait times, etc. to help me understand how much time we'll likely have to spend and what attractions we'll be able to see/do.

We know we won't be able to do everything, so the more I know how much time we'll be spending on "busy" stuff, the better we can decide which attractions are important for us to see NOW and which ones will have to wait until next time. because there WILL be a next time!

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

Blog Entries

I would really consider factoring in if the rental car company is located right at MCO or if it's offsite when you decide which company. www.mousesavers.com lists a bunch of codes for rental cars, as well as lists the ones that are located RIGHT THERE. It really can add to your time if you have to do the whole shuttle to the airport thing!

Know, too, that if your airline participates, you can still check your bag at the hotel, without using DME. I was VERY happy when Southwest started participating at most resorts in that service! This will definitely save you time at the airport!

Cathy

we're likely going with Hertz, which is right onsite at MCO (according to the MCO map), since we're booked through AAA.

Thanks for the tip on the baggage. I'll have to check if Delta participates...

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

Blog Entries

Delta participates.

You have to do something (call some number) to pay the fee before you check it in, so you might want to swing by the luggage check in place when they're not busy to find that out.

ETA: And I like Hertz quite a bit, too. GENERALLY they don't take too long checking people in with their returns.

Cathy

Thanks to everyone!! This whole rental car part is totally new for me, so I really appreciate all your expertise!!

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

I rode along with someone driving from the airport at rush hour time on my last trip and the highway was really congested. Stop and go traffic. It took a lot longer than I'm used to. Depending on what time you arrive, you could experience high volumes.

As most folks around here know, I always rent a car at the Orlando airport. It's really convenient having the counters right there on the lower floor of the airport, and the cars just a walk across the street. Probably the most convenient airport in the country for car rental. It's been my experience that Hertz is always the most expensive, but if they work for you go for it.

The trip to Disney property is really easy. Just take the south exit out of the airport, get on the Greenway and follow the signs. There are 2 toll stops that'll cost you $1.25 each. And it should take no longer than 30 minutes each way. I can't totally verify what traffic will be like. But I've left the World at various times of the day, and have never even had any kind of a slowdown on the Greenway. And as far as returning with a full tank, I just drive through the airport and go out the North exit, and there are several gas stations within a mile or so. Car return has always been fast and easy, with just a quick walk through a tunnel under the roadway into the terminal.

I like to get to the airport anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes out. That usually means that I need to leave 2 hours before my flight. I've never even come close to missing my plane.

Good luck!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dopeyd73 View Post
    we're likely going with Hertz, which is right onsite at MCO (according to the MCO map)...
    IIRC, at one time it still required a shuttle to get to the Hertz location, even though it may be "onsite." Granted, that was back in '06, so things may have changed, but you may want to look into that just to be sure.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I'm pretty sure Hertz is right there at the airport, but as always I could be wrong. Expedia is currently showing car and counter in the terminal.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

As stated, check with Mousesavers for codes, as well as trying the AAA code. Use whichever one is cheapest. Sometimes you can use two codes for rental and a coupon. Having a car does give you flexibility and the option of going shopping for water, snacks, alcohol, etc, which can save a lot of money. Depending on the time of day and where you are leaving from, dan is correct that the south road never has traffic, so we usually take it. Last month when we drove to the airport to pick up my DD we took the Bee-line in the rain about 8pm and were surprised how quick it was.

I can confirm that Hertz is now at the airport and with AAA you can get a decent rate. Enterprise and Alamo usually are cheaper if you reserve at the right time. We too leave Disney about 2 hrs before departure – it is a 30 minute drive without traffic – and we always had plenty of time for security, grabbing a snack, sitting at the gate etc.
    The one time out of many we hit a little traffic it only took an extra 10 or 15 minutes.

I fill the tank in Disney. The Hess stations at Disney have normal prices and your fuel gauge won’t budge with the relative short drive to the airport. There is one across from Downtown Disney, one near Hollywood Studios and one toward the Magic Kingdom. Gas stations near the airport usually have inflated prices.

The car can save you time to Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, especially if you are heading there for opening. I would tend to take Disney transportation to the Magic Kingdom since they let you off near the entrance instead of the Ticket and Transportation Center - unless you want to ride the ferry or have a trip on the monorail.

If you are heading over after opening or mid day, you may want to opt for the buses since you may have to park further away from the park entrances – but they do have parking lot trams to help. Late in the day Disney will usually let you park closer and take an empty spot from someone who already left.

Michael and Kellis August 2016 Trip with 25 Friends and family
    http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?234828
    Common Walt Disney World Wild Birds http://bochnik.com/disneybirds/disneybirds.htm
    Our other Disney Trips (including our Disneymoon): Kelli and Mike's Adventures http://www.bochnik.com/

Just got back from WDW. However, thanks to all your wonderful tips, we encountered no problems driving back and forth. My husband upgraded our car and got a great rate for the upgrade. So that was nice. And although we encountered a bit of slowing on the way to the airport, we pretty much got there in about 25-30 minutes as mentioned above. Easy sailing. (The security lines at the airport were just as long as the lines at Disney! LOL!) Thanks again!

~~~~ Dopey D ~~~~

Visiting WDW Since 1982

Also just got back. No traffic ==> 24 minutes. We were back and forth on the tollways a number of times, and to avoid congestion do NOT use Hwy 536 - BeachLine Expressway. It can get really backed up certain times of the day. Exit out the south end of the AP to Hwy 417 - Central Florida Greenway and west to WDW. If you're coming from WDW get on I-4 to World Center Drive (also World Center Parkway) - Hwy 536 to the west, where it merges onto 417. Or if inside WDW, take Epcot to the west where it becomes World Center Drive.

Stan