Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Marathon Weekend

Force is strong in this one

We just got the first snowfall here, and it's going to be a challenge getting my mileage before the marathon. I was thinking about running tonight for 2+ hours or so since I can't get a weekend run in this weekend. Should be interesting how I take care of this prior to the races.

On the other hand, I'll be back in SoCal around Christmas time. Anyone want to run together?

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    We just got the first snowfall here, and it's going to be a challenge getting my mileage before the marathon. I was thinking about running tonight for 2+ hours or so since I can't get a weekend run in this weekend. Should be interesting how I take care of this prior to the races.

On the other hand, I'll be back in SoCal around Christmas time. Anyone want to run together?
    We haven't gotten any significant accumulation here yet, but I'm sure it's coming. I won't be anywhere warm until the race (which will hopefully be warm!).

There has been some more information released regarding the marathon relay, although detailed transportation information is still forthcoming. For the bag check, Runner #1 will have to give his/her bag to Runner #2 if he/she wants to pick up his/her items at Magic Kingdom at the end of leg #1. Runner #2 must check items at the finish area bag check in order to be able to retrieve them. For me, this poses somewhat of an issue because I wasn't planning to go to the finish area since we are staying at the Polynesian, and my Runner #1 is staying at another resort. I think I will have to ask a friend to take my bag for me to the finish area so that I will have dry items to change into before the trip back on the monorail, especially if the weather is not the best.

If you are running in the relay, thinking about those kinds of logistics now is a good idea before the nerves of race weekend hit.

47 days until the half!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I just got butterflies in my stomach. 47 days?

I had planned on running 12 miles Saturday but only made seven. It was about 40 degrees when I started, which is no problem, but it was raining lightly. I decided to go for it anyhow. My first two miles on a cold morning are a little rough for me normally, it takes my hips a while to really warm up and feel good. I realized when I was about 4.5 miles in that I was not going to warm up. My hips were stiff and sore from the cold damp weather. Dang RA! I called my DH and asked him to pick me up when convenient. I kept running until he came for me since he knew the route I was taking. I was disappointed that I had to quit, I was nowhere near out of steam.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Did my back to back 8 milers Friday and Saturday. A good way to work off the turkey! Holiday travel can make it hard to get in the workouts, but I'm lucky that my parents live near good running spots.

Dropped 12 minutes off my PR for a half marathon Sunday. Gearing up for the 23 miler in two weeks. yikes!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Way to go on the long runs, guys!

I'm kind of amazed that it's post Thanksgiving, and there is STILL room in the events!

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I'm kind of amazed that it's post Thanksgiving, and there is STILL room in the events!
    Me, too! One of my girlfriends from SC just registered this afternoon. I'm excited that she's going to run with me. Well, she'll start the race with me, but I'm sure she'll pass me up in no time.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Me, too! One of my girlfriends from SC just registered this afternoon. I'm excited that she's going to run with me. Well, she'll start the race with me, but I'm sure she'll pass me up in no time.
    That is so cool! I am so excited that she is abel to do it with you. I wish we could swing it too, just to cheer you on not to run! LOL! But you are going to to an amazing job! both of you ladies are.

Force is strong in this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    Dropped 12 minutes off my PR for a half marathon Sunday. Gearing up for the 23 miler in two weeks. yikes!
    Nice job!

I've been getting up to 9 miles regularly. I really need to get in a 14+ mile run before the marathon. I figure that I'm going to do the 1/2 marathon for time and the full marathon for the Goofy experience (plus, as another training run for Ironman).
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Here is a question for you Marathon weekend Veterans. The starting corrals. How exactly does this work? Is there one long line and the corrals are in order from fastest to slowest? Do they line up and then hold until one corral has emptied? What are the time intervals for various corral assignments? Has anyone ever been trampled at the start of the race? When does the field finally spread out?

ok, so that was like 10 questions.
    We got 5 inches of snow today and the temperature is 20 degrees farhenheit outside. I think I will run indoors tonight.

Blog Entries
    We got 5 inches of snow today and the temperature is 20 degrees farhenheit outside. I think I will run indoors tonight.
    Tipping my hat to you! I can only handle about 5 miles on the treadmill, anything more is pure torture. I don't know what I would do if I had to run in those weather conditions.

As for the corral question. I'm not a veteran, but DH has run the DL Half twice. There were 5+ minutes between releasing corrals, if I had to guess. He was in corral C this last time and it seemed like he started about 15 minutes or so after corral A. What happens in the corrals, I have no idea. The information I have is purely observation from my hotel room.

Blog Entries

When I did the half (quite a few years ago now), the corrals WERE all in a line, and I'm not sure if they held up each corral at the start line or not (I was in the last or next to last).
    I theory, you shouldn't get trampled because the faster finish times are in the earlier corrals. Though there always seem to be some that got later corrals because Disney didn't get their proof of time, so there are always some people bobbing and weaving. I think for us, it loosened up after we made the turn onto the big road going to MK, but the full, with the two different courses may be different.

Cathy

Here is a question for you Marathon weekend Veterans. The starting corrals. How exactly does this work? Is there one long line and the corrals are in order from fastest to slowest? Do they line up and then hold until one corral has emptied? What are the time intervals for various corral assignments? Has anyone ever been trampled at the start of the race? When does the field finally spread out?
    The corrals are not all in a line, although things could always change from year to year. Typically, they are split into two groups, in order from fastest to slowest. Runners are assigned based on their previous race time, or estimated finish time, with variation for when they registered. The corrals are released one at a time at intervals to spread out the field, and the initial part of the race is on a two lane road, so there is generally a decent amount of space.

As far as I know, no one has been reported injured by trampling. You always get some issues with people at the back who were assigned to slower corrals than they usually run, typically because they didn't submit a race time, or didn't have a previous time. People with poor race etiquette (or ignorant of it) can be a problem, but it's not usually too bad.

You should be fine since you're closer to the front (I assume based on what you've said here).

Thanks! That helps a lot. I ask about the crowdedness and the trampling as I had a bad experience in 7th grade. Last race of the season for cross-country and I was tripped in the first 100 yards or so. I fell and broke my arm and in the process was trampled pretty good. I have never had a repeat of that experience, but I am very carefull now as a result.

I am so EXCITED!

Blog Entries

One thing we noted for the start area of the half - it seemed like we had to walk FOREVER from the bag check area to the actual start corrals. It may have just SEEMED like forever, because of the hour and nerves, but it wasn't 'right there'. There also seemed to be a bit of a hike from where the buses let us off to the bag check area. Again, probably more nerves and time of day then actual distance.

Cathy

B2B nines are in the books. Next weekend, 10s and then 12s the weekend before Christmas. After that, it's taper time! We've still been lucking out with the mild weather so far. Temperatures haven't been too bad and no snowstorms to disrupt us. I'm knocking wood like crazy. Yesterday was sunny and in the 40s during our run, but very windy. The river had whitecaps on it!

Blog Entries

Well, I didn't make 14 yesterday. Dang hills again. I did 11.5 and then walked a little more than a mile, and I'm happy with that. I've figured out a much flatter route for my last long run in two weeks. It's a one way route though, so we'll drop DHs car off at my bestie's house the night before so we have a ride back home.

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

Sunday I got my first of two 20 mile long runs done. Felt great! Pace was 11:30 min/mile. I knocked over an hour off my time from last year just by adding light jogging. Well that and losing almost 50 lbs! I'm really looking forward to the Goofy this time around. It's going to feel like a whole new race to me!

Blog Entries

Good job on all accounts, Mommy!!!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Well, I didn't make 14 yesterday. Dang hills again. I did 11.5 and then walked a little more than a mile, and I'm happy with that. I've figured out a much flatter route for my last long run in two weeks. It's a one way route though, so we'll drop DHs car off at my bestie's house the night before so we have a ride back home.
    I give extra credit for hills. The course is very flat except for a couple of overpasses, so every hill you do in training just makes you more prepared for race day. I like the one way route idea. The scenery will be new the whole way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2NicknMax View Post
    Sunday I got my first of two 20 mile long runs done. Felt great! Pace was 11:30 min/mile. I knocked over an hour off my time from last year just by adding light jogging. Well that and losing almost 50 lbs! I'm really looking forward to the Goofy this time around. It's going to feel like a whole new race to me!
    Congratulations on bringing down your time and feeling great after 20. What sort of recovery do you do?

Waivers are up and final race instructions are available, including details on the relay exchange! Head to the Event Details section for more and to print out your waiver.

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Congratulations on bringing down your time and feeling great after 20. What sort of recovery do you do?
    Thank you! I ate an apple, took a shower, and went Christmas shopping. I really don't do any typical recovery type stuff (ice bath, etc).

Thanks for the info on the waivers. Looks like us Goofy runners only get one bib this time around. Blah. Not looking forward to having to baby my bib through the 1/2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I give extra credit for hills. The course is very flat except for a couple of overpasses, so every hill you do in training just makes you more prepared for race day. I like the one way route idea. The scenery will be new the whole way!
    Thank you. I'm sure hoping that is true! My other routes are usually more or less one way, but they always loop back to my house, which is on top of an enormous hill. So, I'm running from home to the next town (that sounds so weird) for my last long run. So it's really just a straight shot out. I do thrive on a change of scenery ALWAYS.

My Bib Number is 2687. Does anyone know if we can figure out what start corral we would be in based on our bib #? I know I registered at about 80% capacity so I know my number is not related to when I registered. Maybe finish time?

Time to run 6 in the cold. Time to think warm thoughts.

Blog Entries
    My Bib Number is 2687. Does anyone know if we can figure out what start corral we would be in based on our bib #? I know I registered at about 80% capacity so I know my number is not related to when I registered. Maybe finish time?

Time to run 6 in the cold. Time to think warm thoughts.
    I sure hope that the bib numbers don't have anything to do with corral placement, DH is approx 5k after me. He has proof of time and this is my first race.