Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Marathon Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Wow, you finally got to him!
    Yeah, be prepared for armageddon or a certain something freezing over because I never thought I'd see the day! I think now having Ms. T running with me finally broke him.
    www.RunningoftheEars.com

MA Teams Luck Be a Lady & It's My Way or the Skyway!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Yay! I'll have someone to hang out with at the transition.
    The ROTEars are planning a Party in Pluto...it should be an interesting morning.
    www.RunningoftheEars.com

MA Teams Luck Be a Lady & It's My Way or the Skyway!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanie View Post
    Yeah, be prepared for armageddon or a certain something freezing over because I never thought I'd see the day! I think now having Ms. T running with me finally broke him.
    I was thinking Ms. T may have been the proverbial straw.
    Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anyone know if there is a way to check how full the registration for the Half is at this point? Or, is it something that Disney just announces at random?
    THanks!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way to check how full the registration for the Half is at this point? Or, is it something that Disney just announces at random?
    They don't start announcing the percent full until it has reached 50%. The only race at 50% so far is Goofy. If you're concerned, the best thing to do is to periodically check the registration page at the WDW marathon website.

Don't forget, the prices go up on Monday!

Blog Entries

Thanks steph. I've already registered, I was asking for my sister and my BFF. I will let them know.

Which is the easiest resort to get to and from marathon start line?

Blog Entries

Probably a monorail resort. However they offer bus service to/from the start/finish area from I believe all the resorts - which might put you a little closer than the monorail station. (Possible exception is the Epcot area resorts after the finish - because theoretically you could walk from there after the race --- (you maybe, after 26 miles, but not me!))

Cathy

Blog Entries

Another one of my friends (from SC) registered for the race. She'll be coming without her family so I changed my DVC ressie so that she can stay with in our room.

Quote Originally Posted by lisajoreynolds View Post
    Which is the easiest resort to get to and from marathon start line?
    The Monorail resorts begin Monorail transportation at 3am. They take you to the Ticket and Transportation Center and from there you jump on another one for transport to EPCOT. If memory serves me corrctly, the walk from EPCOT's Monorail station isn't that bad. Now the buses start leaving all other Resort properties at 3am and you need to be on board no later than 4am so you can get to your corral by 5am. THE WALK TO THE CORRALS IS PRETTY LONG!! We were at Old Key West and made it on both days with plenty of time to stand around and FREEZE!!!

Take care!!

Bobcat
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries

I did two training runs this week. I'm a bit concerned since my hip is giving me grief before my endurance does. I've got a long road ahead of me for sure.

I did two training runs this week. I'm a bit concerned since my hip is giving me grief before my endurance does. I've got a long road ahead of me for sure.
    Have you ever used a foam roller? Hip pain can be caused by IT band issues, which can be helped by regular sessions with the roller. It hurts while you're doing it, but feels a lot better after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Have you ever used a foam roller? Hip pain can be caused by IT band issues, which can be helped by regular sessions with the roller. It hurts while you're doing it, but feels a lot better after.
    No, I've never even heard of that. Thanks steph, I'll look into it. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and my left hip was replaced a little over 3 years ago. I figured the pain was from that.

No, I've never even heard of that. Thanks steph, I'll look into it. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and my left hip was replaced a little over 3 years ago. I figured the pain was from that.
    Hmm, that could be it too, but a foam roller will change your life! Here's a good article from Runner's World with video to illustrate technique.

Blog Entries

I did my first 5K today. I completed it with my best mile per minute pace time since starting training earlier this month. I'm sticking to my run/walk intervals. I'm not changing my interval times or going past 3.1 miles until I can do so pain free. I had some pretty serious pain after my run at the gym on Thursday, but it went away in a matter of a few hours. I hurt after my 5K today as well, but not as bad as Thursday.

Steph, we're headed out to pick up a foam roller tonight. I've read the article and watched some exercises on Youtube and I think you are right. I certainly hope so, anyhow.

Blog Entries

This week I've been having MAJOR challenges with my left leg. I do believe it's muscular and not joint pain, which is good. But man alive! It's bad. I'm using my foam roller after, but maybe I should use it before as well. I'm really frustrated and really disappointed.

Blog Entries

If it's muscular, have you tried icing for 15 min after? When I'd go for more than 6 miles, I'd do the ice bath routine and it made a world of difference for just general muscle soreness.

Cathy

This week I've been having MAJOR challenges with my left leg. I do believe it's muscular and not joint pain, which is good. But man alive! It's bad. I'm using my foam roller after, but maybe I should use it before as well. I'm really frustrated and really disappointed.
    You should do the foam roller other times during the day as well. Find some stretches that target the areas giving you the most trouble.

Blog Entries

Cathy- I haven't. The pain is almost immediate when I stop my run/walk.

steph- I will do that.

I've taken the last week off of any kind of training. I had a massage on Thursday of last week and my therapist said my glute was SO tight. I'm using my roller and will start training again on Monday. I'll start with walking only. Once I can walk 5 miles and keep a good pace time I'll start integrating the running intervals again. The pain is so severe!

Just checked the registration page and the only race runDisney are showing a percent full stat for is Goofy. Goofy is at 74% full.

The next price increase for registration takes effect on July 4.

I am excited to go for my first Full Marathon in 2012. I am holding off on all of the Colorado Marathons until I have done Disney! I had such a great experience with EEC that I am driving my wife nuts with Marathon Talk! She asked me to not talk about it for 4 months! You guys will be my excitement outlet.

That's great! Ask any questions. I've done WDW full 2 times, and the half 2 times.

Actually a question came up this morning during a conversation I was having with the wife. For Expedition Everest Challenge, they offered us discounted sport tickets to allow entry into the Theme Parks. For the Marathon, do they offer discounted park admission and if so, how much has it been in the past to get into the parks? Second part of the question is this. We have family members who are in the military and are interested in watching me put myself through physical pain and anguish for no good reason at all and would it be cheaper to use the military discount tickets or the Disney or are they about the same. I could not find any info on Discounted admission tickets for the marathon. Thanks. Time to go for a run!

Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    Actually a question came up this morning during a conversation I was having with the wife. For Expedition Everest Challenge, they offered us discounted sport tickets to allow entry into the Theme Parks. For the Marathon, do they offer discounted park admission and if so, how much has it been in the past to get into the parks? Second part of the question is this. We have family members who are in the military and are interested in watching me put myself through physical pain and anguish for no good reason at all and would it be cheaper to use the military discount tickets or the Disney or are they about the same. I could not find any info on Discounted admission tickets for the marathon. Thanks. Time to go for a run!
    Good morning,

I'm fairly certain they do do not offer discounted tickets park admission for marathoners and/or for their respective families. However, last year they allowed free entry to the Magic Kingdom on the Monday following the marathon for the finishers of the full. I recall reading recently however that this option will not be available to the finishers for the 2012 WDW Marathon. With regards to military discounted tickets, they are offered at a discount with proper ID. Also included in this would be discounts on tix for up to 5 family members. Hope this helps and happy training!!!

Bobcat
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Registration stats (% full):

Goofy = 80%
    Full = 55%
    Half = 53%
    Relay = no data