Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: 2012 Marathon Weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2012 Marathon Weekend

Registration for the 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon weekend opens tomorrow, but they just announced today that a new option will be available: 2-person relay teams for the full marathon course! Anyone considering doing that or one of the other races (half, full, Goofy)?

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

I'll be registering for Goofy again. I'm curious what the relay medals will look like.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Oooh, depending on how Disneyland goes I might be interested in doing the WDW relay.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Oooh, depending on how Disneyland goes I might be interested in doing the WDW relay.
    I love the idea of the Chip and Dale medal - even better than the Donald medal. I hope it works well so they'll do it again in the future!

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So would they cut the registration allowed for the full to accomodate relay people? How else could they have more people running, without extending the road closure time. (and PLEASE don't say start even earlier!!!)

I've been very very unmotivated to exercise lately - I think I may have to use this as a carrot this year! As long as I can build up to a decent base and then hold that over the summer with the heat, and then really start training in September, it could work for me. Ramping up training in the summer is just too hard for me, and getting started is always a tough point as well, so if I START before it gets too warm, and then just make it a routine part of my days, I think I might be able to do it this time around.

Cathy

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

My long term goal was to do the 2012 WDW half. I don't know if that is actually a possibility considering my current status. I will keep it in mind as it gets closer to filling up.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    My long term goal was to do the 2010 WDW half.
    I think you missed it. That was a super-cold one, though!
    Cathy

This is a really cool addition for half runners. The first half of the relay, I presume, will essentially be the old half course that goes into Epcot early, which I miss. And the second half includes the parks that half runners don't normally get to experience.

I'm tentatively planning to do the half again. If I can find a partner, I will definitely do it as part of the relay.

-Mox

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." --Hoban "Wash" Washburne

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mox View Post

I'm tentatively planning to do the half again. If I can find a partner, I will definitely do it as part of the relay.

-Mox
    Here's the issue I see with this, and maybe it's just me. I assume most repeat runners are going to want to do the second half, because they've already seen the first half. I'm more than happy to do the first half because I've [grumble grumble] never seen all of it, BUT that means that whoever does the second half with me has to wait until I finish before they can start. That's... a lot of pressure, and I have to wonder what kind of contingency plans are in place in the event the first-leg runner is injured or swept.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I have to wonder what kind of contingency plans are in place in the event the first-leg runner is injured or swept.

AVP
    You might want to look at the Wine & Dine half relay rules. If the first leg runner was injured, they let the second leg person go ahead and start, but I don't recall what they had in place if the first leg person didn't keep up the pace.
    Cathy

Registration is open!

Registration fees are tiered based on the date you register. The first increase takes place on April 24.

FYI - there is a very limited capacity for the Marathon Relay. Disney expects it to fill FAST, so if you're interested I wouldn't hesitate. They're supposed to allow for bib transfers for a fee up until 45 days prior to the race in case of injury, etc.

Also, the Half on Saturday is celebrating it's 15th Anniversary with a special Donald medal and that should fill much faster than the Full or Goofy.

www.RunningoftheEars.com

MA Teams Luck Be a Lady & It's My Way or the Skyway!

Blog Entries

When I did the half (quite a few years ago now), the corrals WERE all in a line, and I'm not sure if they held up each corral at the start line or not (I was in the last or next to last).
    I theory, you shouldn't get trampled because the faster finish times are in the earlier corrals. Though there always seem to be some that got later corrals because Disney didn't get their proof of time, so there are always some people bobbing and weaving. I think for us, it loosened up after we made the turn onto the big road going to MK, but the full, with the two different courses may be different.

Cathy