Thread: Magic of Business: Flowers, Soaps, Sci Fi and Sports

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Magic of Business: Flowers, Soaps, Sci Fi and Sports

Flowers, Soaps, Sci Fi and Sports by Jeff Kober

Reflections on How Walt Disney World Targets the Local Population

Read it here!

2. # ADS

A very enjoyable read with some great pictures. I was curious at your naming the F&GF as the "grandaddy" of Epcot events. I would think the Food & Wine Festival would carry this distinction. At least it does for me, being much more interested in food and wine than I am with flowers and gardens. I usually do my springtime trip during the F&GF. And while I totally enjoy the beautiful look of Epcot, and usually try to catch a show or two of the classic artists playing through the festival (I get to see Paul Revere & the Raiders this year - YIPPEE!!!), I don't do any of the seminars, as I don't do any gardening at all. So for me the fall festival is much bigger than the spring one. Thoughts?

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Why F&GF is the Grand Daddy

Good question. There are a couple of reasons why I called Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival the Grand Daddy. As I mentioned, the Festival of the Masters is the oldest. But it is the first one that really came about in the theme parks. The Food and Wine event didn't start until a few years later. It is also grander in scale. Food and Wine is at Wonders and World Showcase, but usually doesn't cover as much breadth of park. Flowers and Garden usually takes up the better part of Future World. Finally, I don't know about attendance per day, but Flower and Garden is 75 days in length this year. Food and Wine is only about 45 days. That's a big difference in length.

I understand your arguments. I'll still think of the F&WF as the big kahuna, though. I'm betting that there are a lot of people like me that go during the F&GF and enjoy the sights and the flowers and even the concert series and never go to a single seminar. But the F&WF has all of that incredible food and wine, and takes dining to a whole new level. That has much more of an impact on me than a gardening seminar ever will.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor