Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8.9 earthquake hits Japan, reports of flooding in Tokyo Disney Resort

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

8.9 earthquake hits Japan, reports of flooding in Tokyo Disney Resort

Japan was hit with a massive earthquake (now estimated to be a magnitude 8.9) Friday afternoon (local time), and tsunami warnings have been issued. Sky News is reporting that a tsunami "has obliterated Tokyo's Disneyland car park." We're monitoring the internet for reports from the park, and there have been no reports of injuries at the Tokyo Disney theme parks.

We will update this thread as additional information is available, and as new photos and video are posted online. Readers are welcome to reply to this thread to share photos they have found online.

Photos from Tokyo Disney Resort

Photo of guests inside Tokyo Disneyland (From @MrDaps on Twitter)

Tokyo Disney Sea parking lot flooded

Aerial view of Tokyo Disney Sea (From @Eminem_JP on Twitter)

Update 12:00 Pacific - Imagineer Steve Davison is in Tokyo right now, and has sent out a message that the theme parks have closed, but that the cast members are guests are safe. Twitter user @Boy33 posted two photos Steve shared from the parks.

Photo #1 from Imagineer Steve Davison (Posted by @Boy33)

Photo #2 from Steve Davison (Posted by @Boy33)

News reports (right now they are all reporting the same story - the parking lot flooding - but they may update their articles as additional information is available.

Mail Online (UK)

The Telegraph (UK)

Sky News

CNN

Update: 12:30 - Several new photos have appeared on various photo sharing sites

(From @Japan_4_You)

(From @MrDaps on Twitter)

AVP

Last edited by AVP; 03-11-2011 at 12:24 AM.

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Additional photos:

Update: 12:42 For those who have a Twitter account, @rezaikram is posting live updates from Tokyo Disneyland. Here are some of his photos:

new update in Tokyo Disneyland. we have been told to stay in an open place even its raining.far from buildings.

Update 12:50 - this photo posted by deepdisney.com appears to be at the Tokyo Disney Sea entrance.

Another photo from DeepDisney.com

http://daily.deepdisney.com/img2/110...2011031100.htm

Update 1:00am

This is from inside Tokyo Disney Sea.

Update: 1:05am

Photo from @rezaikram on Twitter

they gave us disposable heaters, plastic bags and rain coats to keep us warm.pray for us.

Last edited by AVP; 03-11-2011 at 12:05 AM.

How scary. Hope everything is ok. Looks like they fared well

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 1:15am

ABC News
    The car park at Tokyo Disneyland was drenched with water-logged segments from the ground following the quake.
    Focus News Agency
    There were 69,000 people at the Disneyland and the adjacent Tokyo Disney Sea, built on a landfill in Tokyo Bay, when the quake occurred, a spokesman at the local Urawa police station said.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

My daughter just got back yesterday from Japan after working in a Disney show there for 7 months. She's been talking to her friends there who are fine, but she is trying to find out the location of the Disney Kirin tour. Has anyone got any info on this?

Happily Ever After with my Prince.

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Japan and where ever eles this hits.

Just heard Hawaii had a 4.5 earth quake.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 1:55am

@MrDaps reported on Twitter that the Tokyo Disney Resort will not open on Saturday.

Reports from people still in the parks, including @rezaikram, indicate that thousands of guests are still in the park. We believe these guests are unable to leave because of transportation issues, either due to their cars being damaged in the parking lot or because the trains that service the Tokyo Bay area are not running.

Update 2:00am

We're hearing that Cast Member apartments near Tokyo Disney Resort have been evacuated. All cast members are reportedly in a safe location.

@rezaikram just posted the following photo, and wrote "update:we are not allowed to leave TDL.have to spend a night here.no transportation outside.what a horrible exp"

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 8:00am

There have not been many more photos from Tokyo Disney since the last update, and it's now after midnight in Japan.

The Examiner posted a brief interview with a guest who was inside the park during the earthquake.
    People at the park are inconvenienced, but nobody seen hurt. We are calm and so is everyone else. Cast members and security helped us to safety and everyone seems fine.
    @rezaikram posted that his cell phone battery was drained, and would not be able to send more photos.

From @mrdaps on Twitter

Is it football season yet??

In this most recent pic from @MrDaps .. where is this at TDL?

Finding Nemo has forever changed the way that I say the word escape.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 8:20

New York Post travel editor David Landsel (@davidlandsel on Twitter) is at Tokyo Disneyland right now and is posting his experiences. Some of his recent Tweets:

1. Our neighbors here in the cafe are group of schoolgirls eager to practice English. Lots of laughs #Tokyo #earthquake 3 minutes ago via txt
    2. Our hotel reports elevator out, I would give anything to climb those 41 stories right now! #Tokyo #earthquake 18 minutes ago via txt
    3. Only 4.5 more hours til train would normally start up - lots of tea and cookies to tide us over #Tokyo #earthquake 23 minutes ago via txt
    4. @bastable Can you imagine? What a bizarre (and wonderful) place to be trapped! Cast is being so good to us. 25 minutes ago via txt
    5. Everyone in decent spirits - anyone who ever wanted to run around a Disney park all night uninhibited has their chance now #Tokyo #earth ... 29 minutes ago via txt
    6. 8 miles from Central Tokyo but world away w train down still and no road access #Tokyo #earthquake about 2 hours ago via txt
    7. Can't dial out to any area hotels to see about rooms. We are getting comfy at the Cafe Portofino #Tokyo #earthquake about 2 hours ago via txt
    8. Crowds still inside DisneySea at close to midnite - restos now shelters. Dinner: seaweed rice and chocolates #Tokyo #earthquake about 2 hours ago via txt
    9. Entry plaza at DisneySea turning into tent city as stranded ppl await trains #Tokyo #earthquake about 6 hours ago via txt
    10. Stuck at DisneySea waiting for trains and roads to open. Nobody amused at skedded volcano explosion #earthquake #Tokyo about 7 hours ago via txt
    11. Nothing takes the sting off a severe rattling like the way staff at Tokyo Disney handle the whole thing #earthquake

We found out the Kirin tour was in the air leaving Sapporo when the earthquake hit and have flown back to Sapporo. I'm so thankful that everyone is fine, and that they were in Sapporo this week instead of Sendai like they are supposed to be next week.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sunfun94 View Post
    There's no English caption to the photo, so I don't know for sure. Looking at the image, I am going to guess that it's the parking lot of Tokyo Disneyland. That looks like a waiting / loading area for a bus - the yellow concrete is similar to what is used at the US Disney parks to make a "do not cross" line at the tram loading areas.

AVP

Quote Originally Posted by sunfun94 View Post
    My daughter says that it is Maihama train station outside of Tokyo Disneyland. She recognized the pillar to the left since she walked by that area all of the time to go to work, and that area wasn't really in good shape to begin with.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biolabetty View Post
    My daughter says that it is Maihama train station outside of Tokyo Disneyland. She recognized the pillar to the left since she walked by that area all of the time to go to work, and that area wasn't really in good shape to begin with.
    Thank you for the update!

AVP

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 10:05 am

I've just received through unofficial channels an update that Disney gave to cast members regarding the earthquake in Japan, and the impact on other Disney operations. This is not to be considered an official statement from Disney.

• Only minor damage was reported in Tokyo Disney Resort. Oriental Land Company has decided not to open Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea tomorrow (Saturday) to allow for teams to thoroughly inspect the parks.
    • Disney's Aulani Resort is still under construction, and has not opened to guests. No damage has been reported.
    • The Disney Wonder itinerary has been altered, and the ship will spend today at sea instead of visiting Cabo San Lucas, which closed its port to cruise ships today.
    • There are no Adventures by Disney trips operating in the impacted areas.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 10:20am

Disney Cruise Line is telling callers that the Disney Wonder is still expected to return to the Port of Los Angeles Sunday as scheduled, and that they continue to monitor weather and sea conditions.
    Last edited by AVP; 03-11-2011 at 10:52 AM.

DLR -> WDW Cast Member

It's good news that the Japanese Cast and Guests seem to be in good spirits...

Kinda puts a lot of things in perspective when I visit TDL next month for the F! premiere.

Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins with Me...! 8:P

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 10:45am

MousePlanet is focusing on the impact of the earthquake on the Tokyo Disney Resort and other Disney destinations, but the damage and inconvenience there pales in comparison to the destruction and deaths elsewhere in Japan.

If you are looking for a way to help, here are some options:

Donate to the American Red Cross via their Web site

Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation

Donate to AmeriCares

Donate to Save the Children

Remember that charity scams often pop up immediately after a natural disaster. Research any organization before you donate money.

For broader coverage of the earthquake:

CNN

USA Today

ABC News

Other resources

Google Person Finder, 2011 Earthquake

Thanks everyone for sharing these updates! It is nice to hear Disney is taking good care of everyone even in a crisis.

-Craig => DVC owner @ BLT, VGC, AKV, & VWL + D23 first day member (and if we didn't live so far away I'd be in the parks a LOT more!!! )

DLR AP; Pin trader/collector JohnGar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Update 10:20am

Disney Cruise Line is telling callers that the Disney Wonder is still expected to return to the Port of Los Angeles tomorrow as scheduled, and that they continue to monitor weather and sea conditions.
    You do mean returning Sunday, right?
    Pin trader/collector; member, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society; member, D23; Walt Disney Co. shareholder.
    I used to go to Disneyland three times a year, then it was three times a month. Now it's once every three years.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGar View Post
    You do mean returning Sunday, right?
    Yep

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 5:00 pm

You Tube user bounonushi has posted two videos taken at Tokyo Disneyland during and immediate after the earthquake. In the first video you can see the reaction of cast members and guests during the quake, and hear an English-language announcement repeated several times.

Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please. We have just experienced an earthquake. Please move away from the buildings to an open area and wait there until our cast members can instruct you further. Please be assured that the park has been designed with earthquake safety in mind. We will provide you with more detailed information as soon as possible. Thank you.

The second video is much shorter, and includes a lengthy announcement in Japanese. We don't have a translation of that announcement - if you can help, please let us know.

Edited to add: MousePlanet's Lani Teshima was able to provide a rough translation of the announcement in the second video:

This is an announcement for all Tokyo Disney Resort guests. At approximately 14:46, there was a large earthquake with a magnitude of 7.9. In addition, because there is a threat of tsunami, we are currently diagnosing the safety of our structures, so we ask that you follow the instructions from the CMs. Presently, the JR Keio line and Musashino line are not operational. Nearby road conditions: The highways have all been closed. As we receive more information, we will notify you.
    Last edited by AVP; 03-11-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added translation

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Update 5:30 pm

Jarrod Lentz, (@JarrodLentz on Twitter) is a Walt Disney World performer who just moved to Japan last week to work in the Tokyo Disney Resort. He has posted extensively about his experience in the quake, and was interviewed by several US media outlets. Jarrod took a walk to Tokyo Bay this morning and posted this video. It does not contain footage from the theme parks, but it's very much worth watching.

Last edited by AVP; 03-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.