Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australia coming to Animal Kingdom?

Australia coming to Animal Kingdom?

I read in another forum that they are adding another continent to AK. It will be Australia. They have started working on it. Has anyone heard about this?

2. # ADS

I've only seen this on rumor threads. Never anything substantiated....

Here's a link to the Disney Blog that has more info on it. Sounds interesting!

http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/11/28/...nimal-kingdom/

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Certainly made for good reading!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It would surely be a nice addition to AK, but if it actually becomes a reality, it will be quite a while before the first guest sees anything.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

wow sounds promising but hopefully without any whales or dolphins.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Why? Sounds like a great chance to put in a Great Barrier Reef type of exhibit.

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    wow sounds promising but hopefully without any whales or dolphins.
    Disney has been super sensitive to criticisms about the humane treatment of animals at AK and has been very careful to avoid doing anything to upset animal rights advocates. As a result, the AK facility is considered to be one of the best. I hope that attitude will prevent them from even considering a whale and/or dolphin exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Why? Sounds like a great chance to put in a Great Barrier Reef type of exhibit.
    I have no issues with an exhibit. Much like in Epcot but just not a "show".
    Have a Disney Day!

A whale or dolphin show would draw immediate comparison to Sea World, which I doubt Disney wants, no matter how amazing they could make it.

I think Animal Kingdom is more about enjoying animals for being animals, not performers.

I agree with that. I'm not a fan of seeing any animals doing tricks. It's kinda like "See how cool we humans are cuz we can force these animals to do funny things!". I'd much rather see an animal in its natural habitat, behaving as they usually do. Of course, little things like heating and cooling the rocks to coax the lions into a viewable position is just good showmanship.

- James Taylor

My kids would just love all the koalas and kangaroos. I wonder if they'd have "The World's Most Poisonous Snakes" exhibit.

As a half Aussie (Not really, but I lived there until High School ) I really hope this happens! They could have a great Rainforest walking trail a la Maharaja and Pangani, a reef exhibit would be cool but a pretty big challenge for imagineers to create something that's not the Living Seas or Sea World. They could have Rescuers and Nemo references, subtly as well! I vote yes! Although if I had to go by Disney's previous history of practically ignoring Australia, I'd say that it'll be slim.

The king and his men, stole the queen from her bed and bound her in her Bones. The seas be ours and by the powers where we will, we'll roam.

There's no stopping that wacky Joe Rohde!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Louie View Post
    There's no stopping that wacky Joe Rohde!
    Unless your wishing he would hound Disney to fix his Yeti in Expedition Everest. Which is still in B mode almost 2 years later!!
    Have a Disney Day!

Speaking of Joe, I was really surprised last week at Disneyland. I was in line for Captain EO and was watching the video about the making of the show when I noticed that one of the imagineers in the video standing around and looking at the plans and making approving noises was none other that Mr. Rohde himself, minus the silly earring!

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    I have no issues with an exhibit. Much like in Epcot but just not a "show".
    Yeah but if you've seen one Sea World or Aquarium, you've seen them all. The only exception to this is/was The Living Seas Pavilion at Epcot. The last time I was there, it was in 1990 and long before Nemo ever showed up. The cars that took you along the huge aquarium tanks they had there on their way to the main pavilion area.

The cars, or clammobiles, still take you along the tank windows. But they have projections of Nemo characters out in the tank, looking like they're swimming with the real fish. A very cool effect!

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    The cars, or clammobiles, still take you along the tank windows. But they have projections of Nemo characters out in the tank, looking like they're swimming with the real fish. A very cool effect!
    Yeah, that's what I've read.

That sounds awsome.

Mom of two boys and a wife to a awsome coastie

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    My kids would just love all the koalas and kangaroos. I wonder if they'd have "The World's Most Poisonous Snakes" exhibit.
    They already have kangaroos at AK.

Quote Originally Posted by aidensdaddy View Post
    Yeah but if you've seen one Sea World or Aquarium, you've seen them all.
    I used to believe this. Then I went to the Baltimore aquarium. Now that's an aquarium. Just incredible!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but if you've seen one Sea World or Aquarium, you've seen them all.
    Seriously, SERIOUSLY disagree.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Seriously, SERIOUSLY disagree.
    Well I hope I am wrong. But I've been dragged to the Aquarium of the Pacific here in Long Beach so much I'm burned out on it. My in laws came last summer and they wanted to go there. I tried to talk them out of it and not waste the money, but I lost that battle.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    But I've been dragged to the Aquarium of the Pacific here in Long Beach so much I'm burned out on it.
    I've only been there once (within their first year of being open), and I was not impressed. I'm planning on giving them another try this year. And the Aquarium of the Pacific is very different than something like Sea World.

Not all animal parks are created the same either. I'm not generally a fan of zoos, with the National Zoo in Washington D.C. being a major exception. That's why on our first WDW trip, we skipped Animal Kingdom. I heard a bit more about it, and on our first visit, I really enjoyed it. I like some of the rides too (LOVE Everest), but I also like how the animal enclosures are done there. We spent some time on our last trip just standing and watching various animals, and we expect to do that sort of thing on our next trip too.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...