MousePlanet Staff

Mouse Tales' David Koenig: Collared

Collared by David Koenig

Disneyland ready to chain down all of its 'atmosphere characters'

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

As Yosemite Sam would say, "that really burns my britches"

Did they hire Cynthia Harris to run the PhotoPass Dept.? Because this drive to wring every last cent from the consumer is just too much.

Is this dealing with both Atmosphere Characters and Face Characters? As stated in the first line of the article, an atmosphere character is a furry friend of Mickey's. The article does also talk about musical chairs leaving, but if this only deals with atmosphere characters then I don't see why musical chairs would leave.

Giving characters free movement is what makes it so exciting. Just standing in place taking photos kills that. You make more lasting memories with interactions, not a basic meet & greet.

This is absurd.

How About At The Magic Kingdom?

Will this new policy apply to the Magic Kingdom and Walt Disney World, too?

As one who doesn't take/purchase photos, I'll certainly miss the ability to just "run into" a character walking about. This really sucks...

I have to say that while I'm not wild about this new policy, personally it doesn't affect me too much. I'd say that the times that I've ever seen a character outside of an autograph signing could be counted on one hand. Still, it does seem as if some of the fun spontaneity is being regimented out of the park in favor of financial gain, and that ain't cool.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

danyoung - I think the reason you can count on 1 hand is because the PhotoPass people have cut back on how often you see characters. I've noticed a decline in recent years in seeing them just roam.

I personally miss this because our daughter gets so excited when we're just walking through the park and BAM! There's the Beast, or Mickey, just roaming. It's too sad something like this is happening, it really is just for money.

Also, every time we've done Photopass, none of the pictures turn out that great. They are so quick to get the picture and move on to the next family. Our own personal pictures turn out SO much better!

Last edited by disneyland255; 01-20-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Add more

Free the Characters!

I enjoy seeing the characters wandering around, greeting ppl in line and passersby, it's what gives me that happy feeling of being there in disneyland. Even though I'm in my 20s and I know that's just someone in costume, the kid in me apparently isn't aware of that and just snaps and i get giddy and excited to see them there. Just a couple years ago I was so amused by the sight of Pluto, Goofy, and Gipetto getting into Autopia cars to take a spin.
    It was a wonderful memory and I love telling that story to younger relatives who are visiting, it adds to the magic of the place and it gives them hope that they can see their favorite character do something extraordinary from what they've seen them do on tv or in movies, they get to witness their favorite characters in real-life doing something they've done (like riding the autopia cars). But how can any of this happen if the characters can no longer wander freely?

I'm wondering if there are many people who feel the same way I do?
    If you do, we've gotta try to reach management and let them no the public want the characters.
    If you or someone you know is going to the parks, tell them to speak to someone about this and let's make it known that we want our characters to be free. Not chained to one spot. Imagine being that character and now allowed to do anything, just standing there in one place, not able to play around with kids or put a smile on an on suspecting face when they're surprised to see you there. Wouldn't it drive you a little mad?
    So let's do this for that person in that costume and for us, free the characters and remind disney to let THOSE MEMORIES BEGIN!
    Restricting the characters to one location, limits those memories we could be making!

Disney's promotion: Let the memories begin.
    Yes Disney! Those characters strolling around the park are a part of those memories! Don't take them away from us!

"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out.'' - Walt E. Disney

Blog Entries

Would someone please post a link, (direct or not), or address that will make it an easy access to the managment we are best supposed to contact about this? I do believe we could create a crusade!
    Easier access means more response!

Disneyland's Guest Relations can be reached at
    DLResort@disneyonline.com

but if anyone has a direct line to Mr. Kalogridis, so much the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Mousejunkie Adam View Post
    Will this new policy apply to the Magic Kingdom and Walt Disney World, too?
    Hello Mousejunkie Adam !,
    The last time I checked, much over visited, pretty much This is ALREADY
    life as a Character at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.
    It upsets me that this kind of treatment is coming to the characters at Disneyland. I`m sorry. There is a such thing as Organization, and there is a such thing as TOO MUCH ORGANIZATION .... More like Slavery.
    It amazes me how The PhotoPass Photographers are treating these Characters almost like a light version of slaves.
    And Offhand, It's a good thing for PhotoPass that Disneyland has A Memories Projection Show, and Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom has a Projection Show. Do you know why?, Because You can have them use YOUR OWN Camera to take the Photos, and You will have Photos from Your Disney Vacation Reguardless. Also, Another thing in your favor ..... Disneyland and Walt Disney World has the good ole`Scrapbooking materials.
    If this about profit, You can still throw it back in Disney's PhotoPass`Face.
    Personally, If It were not for these special events and promotions at The Disney Parks, I would have these Photographers working for ..... FREE !!!
    With making them use your camera?, The ONLY Way that you would have to pay is by uploading your photos from Your Disney Vacation to Your PhotoPass Account, and Adding the special borders to your photos, and saving them to a PhotoPass Personal Archive Cd for $19.95, Or Have Disney's PhotoPass Photographers use their Cameras to take pictures of Your Disney Vacation and Your Photos will be transferred to the PhotoPass Card, and you put in the code on the back of your photopass card on your photopass account to pull up your Professional Disney Vacation Photos, and Put the Specially made Borders on them and then save them to Disney's PhotoPass PhotoCD for $149.95 ....
    at the most, without the discoount. And, outside of that, for the photo packages? The Photos that you recieve like at Character Dining where you would Take a picture with Cinderella before Your Enter Cinderella's Royal Table DON`T EVEN HAVE THE BORDERS. They just have the code on one of the pictures for you to pull up ALL of Your Photos That they took from that moment on Your PhotoPass Account and repeat what I said about adding the borders and putting them on a Photopass PhotoCD.
    And Since Disney will ALREADY Have a copy of Your Photos that a taken By Disney's PhotoPass Photographers`OWN PROFESSIONAL CAMERAS,
    If you are so lucky, at least one of Your Photos could be chosen to be used in their Memories Projection Show that Is NOW RUNNING On the Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom Park in Florida that will very soon start running on the Outer Facade of " it's a small world " at Disneyland Park in California as well before this month is over.
    But as I said, Bring Your OWN Camera and Buy the Scrapbooks.
    Have these Disney PhotoPass Photographers working for FREE !!!!
    Try it, and then tell them about the Magic of " Atmosphere Characters at The Disney Parks. I BET YOU IT WILL BE CRAZY ENOUGH TO WORK.
    BTW, This is my FIRST TIME EVER posting on here on these forums.
    And I felt that your question deserved My First post.
    Thank you for reading my post.
    - Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    danyoung - I think the reason you can count on 1 hand is because the PhotoPass people have cut back on how often you see characters. I've noticed a decline in recent years in seeing them just roam.
    No, I've been visiting DL since the early 60's, so my experience was over all of that time. But I do understand how people are having a big problem with this decision. I'm just saying that it doesn't affect me personally very much, if any at all.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I remember about five years ago my kids were treated to an impromptu show by Alice and the Mad Hatter. We bumped into them near the Matterhorn, and they joked and goofed around with each other, even using a water fountain to splash each other playfully.

While my kids are older and no longer care too much about characters, I would hate for other people to be denied such fun random encounters. I think Disney Corp (unlike Walt) doesn't understand that the ambiance - including wandering characters -brings people back, which in turn generates more revenue for them.

If they keep up this trend, someday they'll just be another Six Flags park.

This past December I had the pleasure of a chance encounter with Peter Pan.
    He was on the path between the castle and Frontierland laying on the rocks, eyes closed sunning himself and smiling. As a 38 yr old adult, I found this totally cool! I did not "wake" him or bother him but took it as a magical moment for myself.
    After grabbing fastpasses at Indy and heading back to the Castle to meet up with family, he was then awake and interacting with two very small girls. So sweet. This encounter would not have happened had he been designated to a spot.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I'd rather they had character hosts for more characters, and not worry so much about photo pass photographers. Face characters it's not as big of a deal - but for the non-faces, it's really hard for them to get people to form a line or such (if that's what the situation calls for) without a handler. I think it was at DL with Tigger in front of City Hall last spring this was a real issue, and Tigger was getting frustrated. Fortunately, most of the guests were doing a decent job of taking turns and such, so it wasn't getting to dangerous or confrontational.

Cathy

Wink It's really about the guests - remember?

Ultimately, it will be the guest's decision as to what happens. Having worked in the theme park industry, and varying themed attractions that are not the parks, I can safely say that the guests run the show.

So, if management gets their way, hurray, hurrah - for the moment.

If the guests like the change, then it will stay.

If not, and ESPECIALLY if it starts to impact the theme park's profits in some way, than it will change faster than Tinker Bell's wand makes magic.