Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Early February-HOJO or Desert Inn and Suites

Early February-HOJO or Desert Inn and Suites

I've seen some threads on these 2 hotels, but here's a slight twist. Which place would you stay at with a family of 6 (2 adults, an 8 yr old, twin 6 yr olds, and a 2 yr old)? Right now I have a suite reserved at both places for 5 nights, but we've never stayed at HOJO's and only stayed once at Desert Inn. My concern is: Will the HOJO's be worth the extra walking time since Desert Inn is right across the street, and also will the kids even want to use HOJO's swimming/water pad area in February? I thought the Desert Inn had a bit of a dirty feel to it, but we LOVED the location! HOJO's splash pad looks awesome though, but it's going to be the beginning of February! Can you see why I debate? Your thoughts?

Last edited by naccrat325; 11-11-2010 at 06:25 PM.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by naccrat325 View Post
    I've seen some threads on these 2 hotels, but here's a slight twist. Which place would you stay at with a family of 6 (2 adults, an 8 yr old, twin 6 yr olds, and a 2 yr old)? Right now I have a suite reserved at both places for 5 nights, but we've never stayed at HOJO's and only stayed once at Desert Inn. My concern is: Will the HOJO's be worth the extra walking time since Desert Inn is right across the street, and also will the kids even want to use HOJO's swimming/water pad area in February? I thought the Desert Inn had a bit of a dirty feel to it, but we LOVED the location! HOJO's splash pad looks awesome though, but it's going to be the beginning of February! Can you see why I debate? Your thoughts?
    If you do decide me at the beginning of February, you will see me at HoJo's Can't comment on your situation though. I am going Feb 3-5. See you there!
    Siggy aka Jill

Blog Entries

I would vote for the Hojo's. Parking at the Desert Inn is a PITA.

Planning 3 trips at once...

My family is presently two adults, three kids, but when the oldest son was still at home, there were six of us. So, I understand the challenges that a family that large has when looking for accommodations near Disneyland.

That said, we've been Desert Inn and Suites regulars for at least 15 years, averaging four trips per year. We've been very pleased with the accommodations for the price and the location is great. They have updated the rooms multiple times in the years we've been going there. Yes, parking is tight, but we've rarely had problems with it.

After a day of storming the parks, I personally don't want to walk alllll the waaaay to the HoJo's, although I know it's a MP favorite.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

What about the splash pad at HOJO, especially being February 4th? Too cold to utilize?

Oh, and thank you so much for your responses! My husband is still favoring the shorter walk to Desert Inn and Suites......

Blog Entries
    What about the splash pad at HOJO, especially being February 4th? Too cold to utilize?

Oh, and thank you so much for your responses! My husband is still favoring the shorter walk to Desert Inn and Suites......
    Have you ever done the Hojo walk? It really isnt that far, an extra few minutes for a HOTEL, interior hallways, easy easy parking, and a HEATED splash park. The spa at Hojo is also blazing hot, which I love, and the staff will bend over backwards, forward, and sideways to help you.

Man, Hojo shold put me on the payroll!

What kind of rates are you looking at?

Edit: Also, doesnt the desert inn have the timeshare slimes out front?

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

I'm not sure about the time share people out front....I hope not. I HATE the pressure I feel from them!

No, I've never walked it to HOJO's, but that is good to know that it is only a few minutes more and the splash pad/jacuzzi is heated! It does seem like a nicer hotel.

Pricewise, I was looking at staying near $100/night, and it seems like I can get that if I make reservations in advance and/or use the entertainment rate at HOJO's. Right now it seems like comparing the stay at either location puts me at spending $100 more to stay at the HOJO's. (that's comparing suites) That's when I have to think, is it worth the $100 extra or could I spend that towards something else?

I know we ran into the timeshare guys on our walk from HoJo's over to the park. We started crossing the street a light early (by MiMi's) to avoid them. I can't place exactly where they are though, so I don't know if you'd miss them by staying at Desert Inn.

Keep Moving Forward!

Blog Entries

The timeshare group is at the Carousel and sometimes at Tropicana. Various sales people can be found at the crosswalk, but they are usually trying to get new victims customers for Captain Kidd. I would go with Hojo's over Desert Inn.

Again, Oh how I loathe time share salespeople!

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

A simple time share shake off trick....when they call out to you, call right back, we don't qualify we don't earn enough...they leave you alone.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    The timeshare group is at the Carousel and sometimes at Tropicana. Various sales people can be found at the crosswalk, but they are usually trying to get new victims customers for Captain Kidd. I would go with Hojo's over Desert Inn.
    Malcon10, is it just the parking being easier, or was there something else to it? The only reason why I ask, is because we went a couple of years ago, and I remember asking you specifically about Desert Inn and it seemed like it was one of your favorites then? Did something change? Just curious and want to make sure we have a good time.

Blog Entries
    Malcon10, is it just the parking being easier, or was there something else to it? The only reason why I ask, is because we went a couple of years ago, and I remember asking you specifically about Desert Inn and it seemed like it was one of your favorites then? Did something change? Just curious and want to make sure we have a good time.
    No, I like the Desert Inn, but for only $100 difference, the difference between the 2 is worth the $100, especially if you have kids. The pool is 1000 times better at Hojos. Besides parking, my only other real complaint with Desert inn is the smoking by people on the walkways. They have signs but don't enforce the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    A simple time share shake off trick....when they call out to you, call right back, we don't qualify we don't earn enough...they leave you alone.
    Our current one is "we're not old enough", but I'm glad there's something we can use when that isn't (or doesn't appear to be) true anymore.
    Keep Moving Forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Besides parking, my only other real complaint with Desert inn is the smoking by people on the walkways. They have signs but don't enforce the rules.
    That would completely turn me off! I have only stayed at HoJo's once but we loved it. The walk is not bad at all, but of course, I am in a scooter, so it does not matter. It's like 1 long block, right?
    Siggy aka Jill

We used to stay at the Desert Inn & Suites several years until we found another place a bit farther for a better price. Those time share people would hit us up every morning. There's one guy that's been at it for years. My wife cracks up because I can do a perfect impression of him. ("Hi folks-Going to the park today?.......Did you get your hundred dollars?")

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    We used to stay at the Desert Inn & Suites several years until we found another place a bit farther for a better price. Those time share people would hit us up every morning. There's one guy that's been at it for years. My wife cracks up because I can do a perfect impression of him. ("Hi folks-Going to the park today?.......Did you get your hundred dollars?")
    I feel a little sorry for them, I mean it is a down economy and they are out trying to make a living, but stop with your fake "where are you in town from?" And no, my two daugthers dressed like princesses are NOT going to Disneyland, we are having breakfast at Captain Kids and then driving home.

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."