Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: DCA Food & Wine 2011 Cancelled

DCA Food & Wine 2011 Cancelled

Disney Parks Blog just posted they were canceling Food & Wine next year due to expansion construction. I'd post the link but I'm on my phone right now.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

They actually announced that the Food and Wine Festival is cancelled for both 2011 and 2012 because of all the construction.

Here's the link.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

wow that sucks i love the food and wine festival! Is there a reason they just cant move it to different locations around downtown disney?

I'm disappointed with this decision. I understand the space issue, but I wish the could have downsized the event instead of completely getting rid of it. The area currently being used for ElecTRONica could have been used to host several of these things for the session (and was used very well last year). Everyone can understand that it can't be as big with the construction near the entrance, but cutting it out entirely seems silly. I was especially looking forward to it this year, as so many eating areas are gone, so your options are rather limited. Very sad.

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    They actually announced that the Food and Wine Festival is cancelled for both 2011 and 2012 because of all the construction.

Here's the link.
    I thought it was both years but only read it quickly so I wasn't positive that it was definitely cancelled for 2012 too. Thanks for posting the link.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I am extremely bummed.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree that this seems ill advised. They spent the last few years building it into a full season event - meaning all week instead of weekends only. The premium events sold out quickly. The backlot area served it well last year and I am not aware of any plans in the next two years to close that area for remodeling. But I am willing to bet that these same discussions went on for some time before pulling the plug. They had to be money makers and Disney wouldn't shut it down if they thought there was a way to do it.

Leonard

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I refuse!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i did not attend all events - only some of the free ones - but the big-picture analyst in me says the following
    1) by early spring 2011 Mermaid will be open, Sky School will be open, all the major construction work down the new main avenue and Carthay Circle building will be in high gear, and the front side of Carsland may be completed
    2) world of color may be getting a revamp by then again with new things (more cars, more mermaid, etc.)
    3) to have all that logistical issue coming up, and trying to host multiple things across the park AND have special guests who they have to accommodate, I believe there is not enough of space to spread everyone out for that.

as far as 2012, I can only imagine they are saying "we don't know what the crowds will be like" as Carsland gets completed so maybe they'd rather not budget it for now and use the dollars elsewhere. Ultimately I think it's the overall budget and the money will be used for other things (or a buffer for completing the remodel).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    iand Carthay Circle building will be in high gear, and the front side of Carsland may be completed
    2) world of color may be getting a revamp by then again with new things (more cars, more mermaid, etc.)
    What is the carthay circle building? I dont remember reading about that.

And what have you heard abougt a WOC revamp? My brother works for Disney, on CARS specifically, and he commented on the lack of anything from that film in WOC.

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

I'm so bummed! We didn't go this year because our AP's expired in December 2009 and we just bought AP vouchers that we'll start using on our December Christmas trip 2010. We were looking forward to a "Food & Wine" trip in April or May 2011. Lets all write and express our disappointment-Maybe they will do something if enough people contact them.

There are no perfect men in this world-Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoofyGuy View Post
    I'm so bummed! We didn't go this year because our AP's expired in December 2009 and we just bought AP vouchers that we'll start using on our December Christmas trip 2010. We were looking forward to a "Food & Wine" trip in April or May 2011. Lets all write and express our disappointment-Maybe they will do something if enough people contact them.
    Mr. George Kalogridis, President
    Disneyland Resort
    P.O. Box 3232
    Anaheim, CA 92802-3232
    Leonard

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I refuse!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    What is the carthay circle building? I dont remember reading about that.

And what have you heard abougt a WOC revamp? My brother works for Disney, on CARS specifically, and he commented on the lack of anything from that film in WOC.
    The entrance to DCA is being redone to reflect LA when Walt arrived in 1928. The Carthay Circle building (a replica of the one where Snow White premiered) will be at the end of the street -and house Walt Disney story (I believe). There are plenty of threads and reviews of the announcements of DCAs rebuild on the pad.

as far as the WOC revamp - nothing has been announced. BUT - if they can add a TRON segment to WOC in time to help promote the movie, then why can't they expand or add more mermaid segment (in time for that ride's opening) and the same for Carsland and/or some of its attractions. Seems logical if they are going to do it - and as such it may attract more crowds.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    The entrance to DCA is being redone to reflect LA when Walt arrived in 1928. The Carthay Circle building (a replica of the one where Snow White premiered) will be at the end of the street -and house Walt Disney story (I believe). There are plenty of threads and reviews of the announcements of DCAs rebuild on the pad.

Ok, gotcha. I for some reason was aware of that but never heard it called that, guess sometimes my brain just doesnt work right.

I am literally giddy with all the contruction in DCA, there are really turning a shameful excuse of a park into a great place.

Now if they could do something about the WOC viewing area...

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

I'm so disappointed to hear this! This year was the first we did anything at the festival, and we really enjoyed it. We ate at the "sample place" (I don't remember what it was called, but it was near Monsters, and you could get cheese plates, etc) every time we went during the festival. The kids were very much into the Coke machine that let you mix flavors, so we did that every time as well. I also bought stuff, including Magicale, in the store they had set up.

My brother and his daughter both had time off while the festival was going and both are into cooking, so they went a lot during the week. They brought my mom, who hadn't been to the resort in decades, one weekend and they attended all of the food classes together that day. She had a wonderful time.

As I mentioned in another post, we go often enough that we're always looking for new and different things to do there. I'm very sorry to see one of those new-and-different things go away for a few years!

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

This is a bummer. We are hoping to go to DL in May and I was looking forward to the Food and Wine festival. I guess I understand, but it is still a bummer.

Happily Ever After with my Prince.

I too am sad to see this canceled. I understand, but wish they could have still done it.

First DLR Trip as a ticketed guest (no AP) Thanksgiving 2012
    Disneyland every NYE from 1985-2010
    WDW Nov 2003, May 2009, Aug/Sept 2010
    WDW Wedding May 2008 at WP/LS
    TDR Oct/Nov 2008 DLP 1998

How disappointing.

Nichole

I guess I'm in the minority, but we were continually underwhelmed by the offerings of DCA's food fest, especially the tasting booths. Last year they had basically one booth with 6 samples. Now compare that with Epcot's food & wine festival, which has 27 booths, with at least 3 items each! OK, obviously, DCA is a smaller park, but 6 items? Really?

We're not interested in expensive chef's meals or wine seminars, and DCA usually only had a handful or low-priced or free food-related demos, so our reaction is pretty much "meh"... I see it as an opportunity for DCA to step up its game and start fresh in 2013!

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    DCA is a smaller park, but 6 items? Really?
    There were lots more than 6 items at last year's DCA Food & Wine Festival.

In the Hollywood Backlot Festival Arena they had:

Karl Strauss Pale Ale & Canadian White Cheddar Soup with Smoked Bacon –

Marketplace Slider

Mucho Gusto Quesadilla

Beer Battered Halibut

Santa Rosa Pear Salad

Island Ahi

Artisanal Cheeses

Festival Flight

Ghirardelli Chocolate Profiterole

Driscoll's Berry Crisp

Did you know they had Festival Food at the various quick-serve counters around the resort? They had:

Pizza Oom Mow Mow: Pasta Di Antipasto

Award Weiners: Mangia Meatballs

Farmer's Market: Festival Chicken Wrap

Pacific Wharf Cafe: Wine Country Chicken Salad

Lucky Fortune Cookery: Thai Rice Spring Roll

Cucina Cucamonga: Anaheim Chile Relleno and Dulce de Leche Cheesecake

I didn't even list the alcohol they offered.

I'll give you it's not Epcot's F&W Festival, but they did a lot for the space they had, IMO, and gave a great variety. Epcot's also had 15 years to establish themselves and grow to what you see today. They also have a lot more space to put up the booth structures at Epcot.

DCA is trying to utilize the space they've got and not impede their walkways, which some would be too narrow if they did that.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE going to Epcot's F&W Festival. We've been every year for the last 8. And I'm not a huge fan of DCA. But they are really trying to grow this event and I think they are on the right track.

It's really a shame they aren't going forward with it for the next 2 years. I wish they'd evaluate the situation 1 year at a time.

I hope it comes back.
    Karin

I am disappointed that they canceled it. I was hoping that since I finish school in March, maybe I could take my Fiancee for a nice treat.

Number of visits to Disneyland 36

DLR AP; Pin trader/collector JohnGar's Avatar

Like I posted on the blog, this is bad news because I only bought enough Magicale for a year, not THREE YEARS! I guess I have to ration it better now or try some alternative.

Pin trader/collector; member, Carolwood Pacific Historical Society; member, D23; Walt Disney Co. shareholder.
    I used to go to Disneyland three times a year, then it was three times a month. Now it's once every three years.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGar View Post
    Like I posted on the blog, this is bad news because I only bought enough Magicale for a year, not THREE YEARS! I guess I have to ration it better now or try some alternative.
    Banfi Rosa Regale.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...